ToyoTech559's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

full droop

full stuff

Old 04-20-2013, 07:13 AM

Awesome flex! Are you running a elocker rear? Also i love your stock paint graphics. Im curious what ventvisors those are they look great!!
Old 04-20-2013, 05:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Great pics. I'm gonna have to agree with kornhuskerwizard, your stock graphics look great.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So personally I love the long arm look and plan on going that way over sas, my question for you is how beneficial is it for you on slow rocky places where an sas would be better. Cuz I think my truck will see more rocks and mud than desert but I still want to go that route. Sweet truck!
Old 04-21-2013, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
Awesome flex! Are you running a elocker rear? Also i love your stock paint graphics. Im curious what ventvisors those are they look great!!
yes i am running an elocker rear and love every bit of it since i run every trail open till i really need it. it great cuz some of the guys i go with dont think i have anything done and still think the front is stock IFS not LT haha

Originally Posted by Gizler00
Great pics. I'm gonna have to agree with kornhuskerwizard, your stock graphics look great.
best graphs hands down for the 1st gen imo. wish my pass front fender had it but was repainted in the 90s and graphs never put back on

Originally Posted by Toyotally
So personally I love the long arm look and plan on going that way over sas, my question for you is how beneficial is it for you on slow rocky places where an sas would be better. Cuz I think my truck will see more rocks and mud than desert but I still want to go that route. Sweet truck!
i dont see why i cant go just as slow on the rocks as any SA guy. if anything i go just as slow if not slower since im automatic with rear locker and 4.88 gears. alittle over gear for 32 tires which i did intentionally for better acceleration.

if you match me to any SA guy with 33" tires and just a rear locker since that is what i have but with 32" tires. i can just about go anywhere they can go. with IFS i just get 3 wheels action. SA may have more flex but flex doesnt always = more traction. if your SA and open front and rear, i will go further with IFS and rear locker.

one thing i have noticed my set up vs a SA on 33" tires is the SA has much more "body" ground clearance. since the SA guys usually run 4+ inch suspension lift and/or body lift. im only around 3-3.5 inch of lift with no body lift. the issue i have seen with my IFS is the lack of "body clearance" mainly my fuel tank (4runner hangs lower vs trucks) since the SA guy has 4+ inch suspension lift, the fuel tank sits higher.
the SA guy will also be able to run larger tires vs my current set up.

i know i could have done a SAS for less $$ vs my LT IFS system. but everyone never spends any money in a IFS so they all say its crap which i understand. how can they compare and worn out stock IFS vs $1500+ in a SAS with all brand new parts. of course the brand new suspension will be better lol. can compare old stuff to new stuff, its unfair compassion

i like a little challange and with my IFS i have learned alot and i keep changing little things here and their to make my IFS handle harder trails. IFS LT isnt for everyone if $$ is an issue. i just love standing out a little.

if i did a 4" bracket lift with my LT kit. i will be just as high as most SA guys and if i did an ARB front locker. i definitely be able to go where a SA guy can. i like the fact that i sit low.

alot of the problems i have can be fixed with a 3 inch body lift, 3 inch drivetrain lift, and 35 inch tires. i just hate having any of my belly parts touch rocks. i have already done a low profile crossmember
Old 04-21-2013, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
i dont see why i cant go just as slow on the rocks as any SA guy. if anything i go just as slow if not slower since im automatic with rear locker and 4.88 gears. alittle over gear for 32 tires which i did intentionally for better acceleration.

if you match me to any SA guy with 33" tires and just a rear locker since that is what i have but with 32" tires. i can just about go anywhere they can go. with IFS i just get 3 wheels action. SA may have more flex but flex doesnt always = more traction. if your SA and open front and rear, i will go further with IFS and rear locker.

one thing i have noticed my set up vs a SA on 33" tires is the SA has much more "body" ground clearance. since the SA guys usually run 4+ inch suspension lift and/or body lift. im only around 3-3.5 inch of lift with no body lift. the issue i have seen with my IFS is the lack of "body clearance" mainly my fuel tank (4runner hangs lower vs trucks) since the SA guy has 4+ inch suspension lift, the fuel tank sits higher.
the SA guy will also be able to run larger tires vs my current set up.

i know i could have done a SAS for less $$ vs my LT IFS system. but everyone never spends any money in a IFS so they all say its crap which i understand. how can they compare and worn out stock IFS vs $1500+ in a SAS with all brand new parts. of course the brand new suspension will be better lol. can compare old stuff to new stuff, its unfair compassion

i like a little challange and with my IFS i have learned alot and i keep changing little things here and their to make my IFS handle harder trails. IFS LT isnt for everyone if $$ is an issue. i just love standing out a little.

if i did a 4" bracket lift with my LT kit. i will be just as high as most SA guys and if i did an ARB front locker. i definitely be able to go where a SA guy can. i like the fact that i sit low.

alot of the problems i have can be fixed with a 3 inch body lift, 3 inch drivetrain lift, and 35 inch tires. i just hate having any of my belly parts touch rocks. i have already done a low profile crossmember
Wow Thanks for the awesome reply! my runner has a 2 or 3 inch body lift and 35" and is locked in the rear. you have pretty much summed it up for me just that much more than i had already. what kit do you have again i cant quite remember? would you have gone with a different kit or done anything differently? a front locker is something i see in the near future aswell.

Thanks again.

edit; found the kit you run haha , gotta love the sigs!

Last edited by Toyotally; 04-21-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:24 PM

Wow Thanks for the awesome reply! my runner has a 2 or 3 inch body lift and 35" and is locked in the rear. you have pretty much summed it up for me just that much more than i had already. what kit do you have again i cant quite remember? would you have gone with a different kit or done anything differently? a front locker is something i see in the near future aswell.

Thanks again.

edit; found the kit you run haha , gotta love the sigs!
as long as your locked i dont mind a little 3 wheel action. the amount of flex those SA guys have, that one tire that droops 20" isnt really pushing alot of weight on it do really do much vs one in the air. it just looks cool lol

you should look into lifting your entire drive trail and fuel tank. flat belly is your friend with IFS imo. next will be lockers front and rear

yup blazeland LT. its half of what total chao is and no way would i have spent 3k+ for an IFS LT setup. if i had 3k+ i would just link a SA in the front of my runner lol. with a blazeland- i dont plan on doing any jumping so it will handle everything i want to do including the little rally racing i do on the fire roads because i can vs the SA guys that say its too bumping to go as fast as i do haha
Old 04-21-2013, 09:33 PM

as long as your locked i dont mind a little 3 wheel action. the amount of flex those SA guys have, that one tire that droops 20" isnt really pushing alot of weight on it do really do much vs one in the air. it just looks cool lol

you should look into lifting your entire drive trail and fuel tank. flat belly is your friend with IFS imo. next will be lockers front and rear

yup blazeland LT. its half of what total chao is and no way would i have spent 3k+ for an IFS LT setup. if i had 3k+ i would just link a SA in the front of my runner lol. with a blazeland- i dont plan on doing any jumping so it will handle everything i want to do including the little rally racing i do on the fire roads because i can vs the SA guys that say its too bumping to go as fast as i do haha
have you thought about running the shock hoops?

a linked sa front would be pretty rad haha
Old 04-21-2013, 10:02 PM

have you thought about running the shock hoops?

a linked sa front would be pretty rad haha
not really but i might if its cheaper than just cutting my stock mount in half and adding a plate so i can extend it. i wanna run a longer shock

i still dont want to run coil over. too much homework to find something that will work for my needs. i need really flexy coil over that can maintain my arb and winch bumper at my desired height. i like to be able to compress easily the entire length allowed with the suspension. droop isnt a problem
Old 04-22-2013, 03:38 AM

did u swap the elocker 3rd in your existing? or the entire elocker axle?
Old 04-22-2013, 06:55 AM

did u swap the elocker 3rd in your existing? or the entire elocker axle?
i modified my existing axle housing to fit the elocker. i wish i could have swapped axle housing have there wasnt any leaf spring rear elocker axle housing i could use. the closest one would be a TRD tacoma rear end but its wider and the ebrake mounting tabs goes the opposite direction
Old 04-22-2013, 07:24 AM

on another note: i decided not to get a 5th gen 4runner TE because it doesnt come in WHITE and 40k can buy me a few other toys i have been wanting instead. i love going to pismo and riding around in the dunes with my quad. i traded my 25+ mpg DD for my dads trusty v8 tundra and i love it. hauled all my gear to pismo on 7% plus grade climbs at 70 mph with out coming out of overdrive is a dream. i use to take the 4runner but had to use my trailer at 8x10 and over packing for 2 days there is pushing that 3.0 headgasket lol i decided that will be using my dads tundra till i can find one myself in 4wd tho. 2000-2006 tundra access cab 4wd is what im after.
even with a 2wd i didnt have much problems. i did get stuck twice but didnt need a pull. i had my smittybilt element ramps. i love these things, so easy to use and i got out with no problems. i could just do a 2wd drive tundra but i have other plans with a 4wd (more trips where 4wd will be needed)
dont worry guys im not ditching the 4runner but its getting tired of doing triple duty lol
some pix from this weekend

alittle free illegal fireworks (never fails every time i go )

Old 04-22-2013, 10:17 PM

Nice!! The big dog didn't go this time.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:50 AM

Great scenery...I also have a elocker 3rd id like to put in my existing rear. Whats the safest speed you can run one of those out of curiosity? I noticed the factory label on our 97 says 5mph but ive seen the mod to engage anytime
Old 04-23-2013, 09:06 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2000-2006 tundra access cab 4wd is what im after.
We have similar tastes, I've also been starting to think about that truck. I really like the 1st Gen Tundra access cabs, perfect size that you can still drive around in the city with. I was even looking into the 3.4L T100's, but a little short on HP. For me I just want a larger bed than my mid-size frontier (v6 ~265HP) for longer camping/kayaking/fishing trips, but same all around - 4WD, around 250 HP or more, access cab, auto. Having that HP sure makes longer trips more enjoyable to just cruise up the elevation grades while loaded down.

I was really leaning toward a 1st Gen runner, but I'm thinking now that it's too similar to my pickup that I'll never get rid of.

Last edited by Grego92; 04-23-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:09 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Great pix, Toyo, and nice find!
Old 04-24-2013, 04:26 AM

nice pics from blue canyon. I agree that the IFS can just about go anywhere but having that one wheel up in the air can cause issues that I found out last year at blucanyon run. going down hill and dropping off of a ledge that was angled so only one front wheel came off and in the air it caused my runner to almost flip over forward . the guy behind me freaked out when both my rear tires were in the air. on a SA that tire would have dropped down as the it came off the ledge and prevented that from happening. other than that i have had no issues with where i can go and I am on 31" and no lockers. the bluecanyon event is may 18th. you should come check it out. lots of fun.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by vang_22re
Nice!! The big dog didn't go this time.
No she won't be gong to pismo again. Took her once and she didn't like the sand. Also the illegal fireworks I see every time I go scares the crap out if her.

Great scenery...I also have a elocker 3rd id like to put in my existing rear. Whats the safest speed you can run one of those out of curiosity? I noticed the factory label on our 97 says 5mph but ive seen the mod to engage anytime
Maybe it's the type of wheeling and driving I do but my elocker hardly gets engaged. I only use it when I need it. Having it on all the type leaves you with no other option if you so get stuck. I too have heard of Tacoma guys doing a wire mod to use it at higher speeds but I spent to much money/time. I did regear with Yukon gears and full bearing kit. I don't know when I would need to be locked at high speeds. Even on the sand in usually open.

Originally Posted by Grego92
We have similar tastes, I've also been starting to think about that truck. I really like the 1st Gen Tundra access cabs, perfect size that you can still drive around in the city with. I was even looking into the 3.4L T100's, but a little short on HP. For me I just want a larger bed than my mid-size frontier (v6 ~265HP) for longer camping/kayaking/fishing trips, but same all around - 4WD, around 250 HP or more, access cab, auto. Having that HP sure makes longer trips more enjoyable to just cruise up the elevation grades while loaded down.

I was really leaning toward a 1st Gen runner, but I'm thinking now that it's too similar to my pickup that I'll never get rid of.
Honestly I never considered a tundra of any gen. I was set on 4runners of all gen. I just love them. I just don't wanna blow 40k at this time since I'm looking at a side by side utv now. What made me jump to a tundra now is my dads tundra he currently has 330000 miles on it. I'm the only one that works on it and that is rarely because he doesn't have time and just does oil changes. Only time I work on it is when there is a problem which is hardly for the mileage it has. I just did the t belt water pump at 300000. Another thing I look at is what comes in the shop for work other than maintenance work. Hardly is 1st gen tundra/sequoia and 4runner. Guess I have a 1st gen runner I need another 1st gen something lol. Tundra fits that bill.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Great pix, Toyo, and nice find!
Thanks
Old 04-24-2013, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by c0ugar69
nice pics from blue canyon. I agree that the IFS can just about go anywhere but having that one wheel up in the air can cause issues that I found out last year at blucanyon run. going down hill and dropping off of a ledge that was angled so only one front wheel came off and in the air it caused my runner to almost flip over forward . the guy behind me freaked out when both my rear tires were in the air. on a SA that tire would have dropped down as the it came off the ledge and prevented that from happening. other than that i have had no issues with where i can go and I am on 31" and no lockers. the bluecanyon event is may 18th. you should come check it out. lots of fun.
Having wheel in air with ifs and wheel on ground with SA. Both still have same travel to ground. If that tire wasn't in air and was on the ground and your just as tippy if it was in the air with ifs. When SA are at or near full droop, it isn't putting pressure on the ground. Just touching. Ifs tire in air and you go to opposite side and you can tip it. A SA in same situation but tire on ground will do the same. Hard to explain but ther are advantages of SA but you tend to push yourself harder and roll overs happen more IMO lol. Anyways. Not sure if I can make blue canyon run, I know I didn't go on any real wheeling spots but I didn't find much interest to go back plus at that time and elevation it will be pretty hot
Old 04-24-2013, 09:29 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
You're welcome, good sir, .... Very nice pics, enjoyed that. Also, My dad has a 2007(?) Tundra tRD 4WD 4door.... the thing is SO SICK! Love that truck. It's like a Caddy in comfort and has a roll down rear window(for the pup?) ... and that V8 sure has pep... 48K miles on it! hahaha. For a family, it's really nice having the 4 door....

Quick Reply: ToyoTech559's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread