86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ToyoTech559's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow this is the first email i get of an update on this thread and i missed out a lot.

Wow what are the chances of somebody having a spare gearbox nearby. talk about getting lucky. Not only that but I know those things are a pain to install. Especially if you have the 3.0. I Had to replace mine. and ince already and space is just so limited. man what a pain.

Just so you know, I think your truck stands out from all those other rigs that went on that trip. Definitely the cleanest and nicest truck!
Old 10-30-2012, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Redeth005
Wow this is the first email i get of an update on this thread and i missed out a lot.

Wow what are the chances of somebody having a spare gearbox nearby. talk about getting lucky. Not only that but I know those things are a pain to install. Especially if you have the 3.0. I Had to replace mine. and ince already and space is just so limited. man what a pain.

Just so you know, I think your truck stands out from all those other rigs that went on that trip. Definitely the cleanest and nicest truck!
Yea he had 3 spare boxes. The break didn't happen to my truck and we had plenty of room under my buddies 4 cylinder pickup. Plenty of room lol. I know I'm gonna throw a couple of tack welds to the top mounting piece for the box on mine just in case.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea I outta rebuild mine whenever I get a chance. That looks like it'd be scary to have to fix on a trail lol. That makes me wanna go more prepared when I go on trips haha
Old 10-30-2012, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
going up to shuteye saturday if the trail isnt closed. the more the merryer
Old 10-30-2012, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by c0ugar69
going up to shuteye saturday if the trail isnt closed. the more the merryer
Is that near cheapo saddle? Planning to go there the 17
Old 10-30-2012, 07:54 PM

not really sure, havent been up that way yet, I know its above bass lake somewhere. trying to get some more people to go.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Toyo! I don't know if you got to look over my Chevy 63" swap on my truck up at Pismo, but I have some opinions. First I don't think I would go that route again for my pickup. I would do a spring under Deaver pack such as the f55 or f67. However for a 4 Runner the Chevy 63 would probably be better because the added weight. For my truck the Chevy was too high a spring rate; even after removing the overload leafs. I found my particular setup was around 4" of lift and that was too much as I only wanted 3". I flipped the shackle to the top of the frame that lowered it some as well as improved some other characteristics. I also took the middle leaf and cut it down and relocated to the bottom. I got the height about right and the spring rate is decent; but its not very progressive. Another downside is a spring over will suffer from excessive axle wrap and wheel hop. I noticed that from the get go even with overload leafs. I played around unsuccessfully with traction bars. I did find a solution but don't want to go into it now as its something I am developing. Suffice to say I have been modifying the Chevy 63 set up for the past year and still trying to get it optimized. The pictured set up at full droop to the point where it goes flat will yield about 12" of travel. I still have room to grow as my shocks are 14" travel. I am considering replacing my 4.5" tall bump stops with some 3" tall ones and letting it go into negative arch. I suspect this will damage the spring so not sure this is a good idea? I will to do a write up in the next few weeks.

Name:  IMG_3060.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3053.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  59.6 KB

Last edited by BlazeN8; 10-31-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:34 AM

Wont that interfer with the tail light housing on the bed?? Sorry to thread jack toyo
Old 10-31-2012, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by c0ugar69
not really sure, havent been up that way yet, I know its above bass lake somewhere. trying to get some more people to go.
Chepo is up by bass as well this weekend is too soon for me

Nate. Yea I remember your setup. I'm not looking or high speed comfort. Just more droop than I have now without raising my height too much. I'm gonna try the Chevys but I can always go back because I'm keeping all the stock mounts. Too bad I can mount mine up like yours. No bl for me

Originally Posted by racerflea
Wont that interfer with the tail light housing on the bed?? Sorry to thread jack toyo
He has a body lift. It also help with the ford 5.0 under the hood. Threadjack away lol.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:45 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, Axle Wrap is what I heard LOTS, in fact 'most' of, therein the ones I was reading/talking to you about, earlier. BUT, ... there are ways.... there are always ways! Muahahahhaha! hahaha.

That was good of Nate to share that here... I'm curious to see what he comes up with/is working on. >> ..........."Sneaking into his shop, tonight... Bag full of surveilance gear, CHECK, ... black clothing, CHECK, ...Alarm scrambler, CHECK, ... Stop by Toyo's and grab his Night Vision Scope, CHECK!" hehehe... Jk, OBVIOUSLY... But WOW, I really wish I had the funds to 'TRY THINGS OUT' right now.... that's a great plan, Toyo, leaving the OEM hangers and such I plan to do the same if I DO try out the 56" 98 Dakota Springs.

Hey Nate... have you thought of those? They are more the length of the TG and such... AND, they're made FOR a Pickup(rated at 1800# and A/B is 22/34,.. more like original A/B ratio from center pin out???) .... They would likely give me lift... BUT, I'm already 2.5" up... so I don't mind an inch or so rake(cuz I AINT crankin them t-bars, NO WAY, ... love the ride with them relaxed and BJ spacers, ya know?)... Course, I would LOVE THE RIDE MORE if I had a Blazeland Kit! hehe.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-31-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:16 PM

I think the axle warp happens more to guys that have blocks and or modified their spring pack.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:50 PM

Hey Toyo, I got some information you might want to check out. I was in Santa Anna today and stopped by Deaver and Giant MotorSports. Giant has a relatively new product for the rear that's worth looking at. Its called the Daily Driver. You would need to run 3" wheel adaptors or a wider axle housing but you can keep the fuel tank and not have to penetrate into the cabin for mounting socks and springs. There were two rigs in the shop under way with the install. Here is the link. http://giantmotorsports.com/content/view/89/109/

My meeting with Jeff and Scott at Deaver was productive. I drove the Fordota so they got a good look at the Chevy set up with my top secret development, haha! Jeff seemed to think it was a good idea. He also concurred with my plans of going with a smaller bump stop to get a bit more up travel. He though an inch or so of negative arch would be acceptable; partially because of my top secret idea. But until these things are tested and hammered on one never knows? I am planning on a trip to the desert this weekend so with the 3" bump stops arriving tomorrow I should be good to go.

As far as Axle Wrap you are correct Toyo, Blocks and Modifications aggravate the effect. So does big torque and horsepower. I think with the 4 Banger and less modification you will probably end up with a low buck improvement over the Zuk. Best of luck!
Old 11-01-2012, 12:34 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Ahhhh, .... great info, thanks Nate(and Toyo). Nate, ...have any thoughts on the 56" Dakota Springs I was talking about? Pretty much same ratio as stock, A/B front pin out either way(obviously longer, but same ratio)... 1800#, 2.5" wide.... I wouldn't expect you to say anything with any specifics, lol.. Just a 'guesstimation' as to what I would end up with?(I picked em up at PYPart from a 98 Dakota with low miles for 24$ for both packs on 50% off day... Can't really lose, even if I don't use em,...but curious what you guys think is all).
Old 11-01-2012, 06:41 AM

Nate: hey, wow that is a prerunner mod right there lol. i looked at the Daily Driver kit. unless we are looking at different kits, it shows the coil over in to the bed or cab in my cause right behind the front seats. the lower arms hang way too low and going sprung under is not a option for me right now. if i ever decide to ditch the rocks all together and i lived closer to the dunes i would do a prerunner set up. i have an idea to keep the stock chevy spring back sitting low after talking to a buddy of mines. will see, im trying to keep all the oem hardware just in case but i really wanna get the chevys to work since it maybe some work for me like you have done so far. i wanna see your new set up once your done testing it

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Ahhhh, .... great info, thanks Nate(and Toyo). Nate, ...have any thoughts on the 56" Dakota Springs I was talking about? Pretty much same ratio as stock, A/B front pin out either way(obviously longer, but same ratio)... 1800#, 2.5" wide.... I wouldn't expect you to say anything with any specifics, lol.. Just a 'guesstimation' as to what I would end up with?(I picked em up at PYPart from a 98 Dakota with low miles for 24$ for both packs on 50% off day... Can't really lose, even if I don't use em,...but curious what you guys think is all).
56 inch springs is not a common mod i have found. your best bet is to install them and see how you like them. it all depends on what your looking for. i can compromise a little if its gonna help me on the rocks. even the chevy mod is not predictable and i would say that is why people have hated it. i for one like to see for myself
Old 11-01-2012, 09:12 PM

You know, after I wrote that post about the "Daily Driver" I looked it over on the Giant website. Your right, that thing wouldn't work in the 4 Runner, not sure what I was thinking? When I was in the shop I looked at the mock up and the two rigs under construction and was thinking about my old Pro Comp Track Bar set up that used really short shocks and was't cycling 22" of travel. What I had on my truck back in 2002 was sort of a joke but it evolved to something decent. It all came off when I installed the Chevys a year or so ago. The original configuration from Pro-Comp used some shocks that were something around 6" of travel. But it put the shocks mid way up on the traction bars at a steep angle. The shocks mounted up behind the cab and you still used the main shocks! Three shocks, crazy! Later on I moved the upper bracket far up into the bed as possible (within the 2" body lift) at a less dramatic angle. The shocks had 9" of stroke but this geometry got 10" of travel with Downeys Kicker Shocks and bump stop bracket. When I removed the kicker shock assembly and went with lower profile shocks I got 12" of travel. The traction bars and kicked shock combination was super stable, the thing launched like a dragster and even had decent articulation. I did miss them a bit, but an additional 2" of up travel with progressive bump stops made a little wheel hop acceptable. The dampening was poor and the track bars were tearing themselves apart. Cracks in the welds and the bushings ruptured and couldn't be replaced anymore.

IMG]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k601/Big8n8/Blazen8s%204%20Runner/IMG_2994.jpg[/IMG]

Name:  IMG_0032.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  265.1 KB

Last edited by BlazeN8; 11-01-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:19 PM

Name:  yoda-wheel-jack-side.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  288.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1020.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  54.8 KB
Old 11-01-2012, 09:20 PM

Sorry I'm running on! Back to your 4 Runner. Your currently getting more wheel travel than the stroke of your shock. On my 4 Runner before the 6" of lift that was my problem too. I now have 6" of lift but three of which is blocks. In my case, the blocks, and lift from shackles and mini-pack, allow a 10" travel shock in the stock mounts. But, I was using every inch of the 10" travel shock. So I mounted a 14" travel shock outside the frame rail. What ever spring I end up putting in there now it should handle it.

I think for the Chevy springs you will need a minimum of 12" travel shocks. That is going to be the tricky part. I don't have the answer, I'm just pointing out the problem. And the way you mount the shocks will bring up axle wrap issues. The dog leg configuration where one goes forward and one back is the obvious configuration. Anyway, points to ponder.

Last edited by BlazeN8; 11-01-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:49 AM

wow Nate, you have almost done it all. i have seen that shocks mounted like yours to help with axle warp before and asked the guy about it. he said it doesnt work. i wonder if yours does?? the shock install will be tricky to do if i want it to be mounted properly but i just need to get the chevys installed so i can see what i have to play with. you have given me a few things to think about tho.

maybe i can run two sets of rear shocks mounted two different ways. only a pair will be in use at a time. a set up made for DD and one set up for rock crawling. both sets will be on quick disconnect??? i think this would be cool
Old 11-05-2012, 05:47 PM

Well, what's on my 4 Runner is kind of a place holder right now. I don't know if you've read my build thread lately but here is the link. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51632049

Basically I've just been driving it on the street as my commuter. It does have axle wrap but not any worse than with the dog leg shock mount. Most likely I am going to install All-Pro 6" leaf springs. My friend James (the 1992 white 4 Runner on my build tread) has this spring pack and some Kings both angle rearward and it seems to be stable. I don't know what effect having them face forward will have. He has a 3" body lift so he can get the shocks up higher. With mine no body lift means outside the frame rail angle forward. The All-Pro spring pack has 10 or so leafs in it so it doesn't wrap much.

I am guessing if you keep your Chevy 63" unmodified and run overloads your axle wrap shouldn't be too bad with the 3.0 motor. Maybe you could mount the shocks in the wheel well like I did. You need 3" wheel spacers/ adapters to do it. You may also have to hang the lower shock mounts below the axle but because its tucked up close to the wheel it doesn't hang up like it would near the middle of the axle.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by BlazeN8
Well, what's on my 4 Runner is kind of a place holder right now. I don't know if you've read my build thread lately but here is the link. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51632049

Basically I've just been driving it on the street as my commuter. It does have axle wrap but not any worse than with the dog leg shock mount. Most likely I am going to install All-Pro 6" leaf springs. My friend James (the 1992 white 4 Runner on my build tread) has this spring pack and some Kings both angle rearward and it seems to be stable. I don't know what effect having them face forward will have. He has a 3" body lift so he can get the shocks up higher. With mine no body lift means outside the frame rail angle forward. The All-Pro spring pack has 10 or so leafs in it so it doesn't wrap much.

I am guessing if you keep your Chevy 63" unmodified and run overloads your axle wrap shouldn't be too bad with the 3.0 motor. Maybe you could mount the shocks in the wheel well like I did. You need 3" wheel spacers/ adapters to do it. You may also have to hang the lower shock mounts below the axle but because its tucked up close to the wheel it doesn't hang up like it would near the middle of the axle.
i do remember your 4 runner and the frame mount shocks. i have been thinking of ways to mount my shocks and i hope i found one that will give me the complete cycle the chevy springs have to give. im still working on getting some hard ware so i can start installing them lol

Quick Reply: ToyoTech559's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread