86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ToyoTech559's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we just got some snow up in our mountains. looking at some snow wheeling soon!! you and mark have been talking about lights so much i decided to just do it and added a ton of lights.
look wise our rigs may look clean but the SA will pass up any IFS lol
Old 10-26-2012, 10:35 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
What a great mod, Toyo! Very much like the lights.... VERY much! Nothing is worse at night than needing light and not having it. On occasions, guys get stuck/or you, never know/ and the light drops out as we continue to work to free someone, roll them back over, whatever, lol. THAT IS A CRITICAL time to need that light..... "When it's time to head back!" ... Sure, while sitting there, working on getting someone out, etc... many options for lighting are available. BUT, .... to see what you're creeping over(for spotters, really) on the way back to camp/hwy???

Rig's looking sick, Toyo! Love that lil Blanca hehe.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
we just got some snow up in our mountains. looking at some snow wheeling soon!! you and mark have been talking about lights so much i decided to just do it and added a ton of lights.
look wise our rigs may look clean but the SA will pass up any IFS lol
Hey but I thought a Blazeland or Total Chaos Kits are just as good as a SA isn't it? I dunno what's you opinion?
Make sure to take lots of pix on your snow trip.
Well you guys both have had your trucks for a few years now and im bsrely on my first year so I guess I'm making good progress.

Mark and I might need to copy that mod of yours. thats really handy to have.

Last edited by Redeth005; 10-26-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:21 AM

Yeah, I've already bookmarked that and a few other links from previous research on the rock lights, Richard... They're GREAT to have, if needed, for the fairly cheap investment, ya know?

BTW, thanks for the compliments, Richard... I really appreciate it... Toyo is right, once you get that think up and on 2 solid legs...it'll decrease the 'eye sore' factor greatly! lol... BUT, NOTHING WRONG with you wanting to straighten it out/clean it up a bit. It's got lots of potential in that dept., like any rig.

Far as LT vs. SFA... all about what's your fancy, man.... LT is hardly ever going to be built to the point that it will take on EVERYTHING that a 4" lifted SAS Hi Steer 40+" Articulating beast would.... BUT, Toyo or MOZE(TChaos) can do 65 across wash board or fly over dunes and even get a lil air a lot more safely/comfortably than the SFA will. (Yet, look at SoCal's thread that I'm scribed to... he built his SFA rig in a way that's VERY capable on either application... Just never going to take the washboard or dunes like a LT kit would, ya know? Otherwise, you wouldn't see so many Pre-Runners KILLING IT and getting air and winning competitions at Pismo/Desert Runs or otherwise, ya know? ) Just my 2Cents from everything I've read, and having had SFA and IFS(yet not having had LT)... So I'll let Toyo answer the "practical application" portion, lol. He's driving one... I just would guess that if he's hitting Pismo for a serious romp/competition... He's much more likely to take the 88 than he is the 83, ya know?
Old 10-27-2012, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
What a great mod, Toyo! Very much like the lights.... VERY much! Nothing is worse at night than needing light and not having it. On occasions, guys get stuck/or you, never know/ and the light drops out as we continue to work to free someone, roll them back over, whatever, lol. THAT IS A CRITICAL time to need that light..... "When it's time to head back!" ... Sure, while sitting there, working on getting someone out, etc... many options for lighting are available. BUT, .... to see what you're creeping over(for spotters, really) on the way back to camp/hwy???

Rig's looking sick, Toyo! Love that lil Blanca hehe.
rock lights are great for spotters at night plus if there isnt anyone . i have them aimed pretty well and i can pop my head out and see the rocks just before my tires get on top of them.

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Hey but I thought a Blazeland or Total Chaos Kits are just as good as a SA isn't it? I dunno what's you opinion?
Make sure to take lots of pix on your snow trip.
Well you guys both have had your trucks for a few years now and im bsrely on my first year so I guess I'm making good progress.

Mark and I might need to copy that mod of yours. thats really handy to have.
TC/Blazeland imo was never meant for rock crawling. its more for high speeds stuff. i stayed with IFS mainly because i wanted it to look as original as i can or revert back to stock. the runner was my dads when it was brand new from the dealer so being still in the family i couldnt chop this thing up. i also wanted to slowly progress my rock crawling experience by slowly working my way up learning from the basics. puts more of a challenge and fun in what i like to do. seen to many rigs went from 100% stock to full blown SAS every possible mod overnight. never wheeled inbetween stages is no fun. you can only run the trail so many times with the "same built rig" so many times. guys get bored and ended up selling it for another project. i like to keep an on going project by slowly improving what i have so its like a different rig each time i go. thats just me plus i have a 82 hidden with almost all the parts ready to go that will be my all out rock crawler lol

IFS long travel for me so far as plenty of flex but the problem is height, i cant safely get my rig high enough to clear larger tires as we all know larger tires is what really gives us clearance not lift kits. if i could rock 35s without trimming than i wouldnt even consider building my 82.

got a set of chevy springs for the rear i plan on trying out soon
Old 10-27-2012, 09:38 PM

Chebby Springs for the ...... 82, right? hehe.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:54 PM

Chebby Springs for the ...... 82, right? hehe.
two of my buddies just did chevy springs and i like how much they flex. i didnt wanna run chevy springs but i dont see any other option to get more flex out the rear and still sit low to match the front.

with the long travel it seems like the front is out flexing the rear. im hoping the chevys give me .5-1 inch more lift than i have now and i plan on finally getting rid of the stock torsion bars for some aftermarket ones. after a few trail runs, i need just a hair more lift to keep my tank from dragging hehe

Last edited by ToyoTech559; 10-30-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:52 AM

Ohhhh, on Blanca... I gotcha haha.

Yeah, I hear ya... I was gonna do the Dakota ones to try that out... 56" leaf packs, similar ratio... Would just have to move them forward and backward to hang-em... NO CLUE what lift I'd get from em.. But I'd guess around 2-3" over stock. I'm at 2" over stock now...with the Zuk...

You're running OME springs, no? And you haven't found any more flex out of em, eh? Hmmmm. I was thinking of going with those now... BUT, I MIGHT just rethink this... No hurry, she rides pretty nice right now, and I have pretty decent flex in the rear with the 3" lift shocks and Zuks all broken in... But I'd like to go straight leaf, eventually(was always the plan, anyway.. BUT I CAN'T knock em, man.. They've served me well so far, ESPECIALLY when loaded down with several hundred pounds... She barely drops, ya know?) OHHHHHHHHH, decisions, decisions! hehehe.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:12 PM

Ohhhh, on Blanca... I gotcha haha.

Yeah, I hear ya... I was gonna do the Dakota ones to try that out... 56" leaf packs, similar ratio... Would just have to move them forward and backward to hang-em... NO CLUE what lift I'd get from em.. But I'd guess around 2-3" over stock. I'm at 2" over stock now...with the Zuk...

You're running OME springs, no? And you haven't found any more flex out of em, eh? Hmmmm. I was thinking of going with those now... BUT, I MIGHT just rethink this... No hurry, she rides pretty nice right now, and I have pretty decent flex in the rear with the 3" lift shocks and Zuks all broken in... But I'd like to go straight leaf, eventually(was always the plan, anyway.. BUT I CAN'T knock em, man.. They've served me well so far, ESPECIALLY when loaded down with several hundred pounds... She barely drops, ya know?) OHHHHHHHHH, decisions, decisions! hehehe.

i just have OME shocks and zuk mod with 98 rear 4runner stock springs. since im still running stock rear leaf springs, they can only droop so much. i have plenty of compression but i need more droop since the front can flex alot more but the rear tire starts to lift haha. never though IFS would beat the rear leaf but it is stock.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:48 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
The OME springs are amazing, they have really spent the time figuring the rates out. I got the cs009r, I think they are called. Took out the sag, and even loaded rides close to normal height. At 99$ a leaf you can't beat it. I also got the HD shocks and while they are a touch stiffer then I'd like when unloaded, they are soooooo much nicer then the stickers when loaded.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by RBX
The OME springs are amazing, they have really spent the time figuring the rates out. I got the cs009r, I think they are called. Took out the sag, and even loaded rides close to normal height. At 99$ a leaf you can't beat it. I also got the HD shocks and while they are a touch stiffer then I'd like when unloaded, they are soooooo much nicer then the stickers when loaded.

that is good to know. i have heard mixed things about OME springs tho. seems like they are stiff unless loaded up. i load changes depending on trips. i rather be on the softer side than the stiff side. since i got the chevys for $50 and have a 9 inch arch in them. im hoping to get a little more lift than i have now. i plan on swapping the front torsion and get a little more lift up front as well. looking to gain another .5-1" lift with the new set up. if the chevys dont work to my liking i may look at OME springs but only $100 each? where?
Old 10-29-2012, 04:32 PM

from this weekend. was invited by some guys in another 4x4 club to go wheeling in their neck of the woods. had a blasted

somewhere at the start of the run. we had a mishap. let the pictures explain. even after all the straps, zip ties, and winch line (not shown) around the box it still wasnt enough. lucky one of the other guys had 3 spares and lived kinda near by. we had to finally install a new one.

no pictures of the new box installed but we had fun tho. so if you guys wheel your rigs pretty hard. make sure to throw a couple of welds to the top mount. the piece that is welded to the top of the frame was what started to go which destroyed the box
Old 10-29-2012, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aw man. Luckily there was a spear box. Didn't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere. Hahah where was this at. Looks kinda like big creek or kaiser pass area but
Old 10-29-2012, 06:27 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
I ordered my shocks and springs from iron pig offroad. I think I paid 50$ for shipping.
They are suppose to give about 2" lift, however I had flat springs and 1.5" longer shackles. It when from 4.5" from tire to fender, to 8.5". Again I had a saggy rear thou.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by vang_22re
Aw man. Luckily there was a spear box. Didn't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere. Hahah where was this at. Looks kinda like big creek or kaiser pass area but
we did a trail i dont know that popped us out on to a road that was a few miles away from Hites Cove which is where most the pictures are from. the trail repairs was on the trail i dont know what the name was

Originally Posted by RBX
I ordered my shocks and springs from iron pig offroad. I think I paid 50$ for shipping.
They are suppose to give about 2" lift, however I had flat springs and 1.5" longer shackles. It when from 4.5" from tire to fender, to 8.5". Again I had a saggy rear thou.
thanks. keep this in mind if my chevys dont work out
Old 10-29-2012, 08:19 PM

Ahhhhhhhh, ... sorry Toyo.... Not the first time, but I mixed up you and RBX on this spring thing. My bad.

63's will only give you a .5-1" lift? I always thought when installed where they're supposed to go that they do about 4" lift. I guess all depends on hangers and shackle location and so forth. Either way, I'd just heard quite a few saying the 'daily driving' became a lil 'odd'... but I have no personal experience with them.... so can't say there's anything to it! lol. YOU WILL, however, see LOTS more flex.... Gonna have to extend the brake lines, move the LPSV, etc., maybe?
Old 10-29-2012, 09:42 PM

Ahhhhhhhh, ... sorry Toyo.... Not the first time, but I mixed up you and RBX on this spring thing. My bad.

63's will only give you a .5-1" lift? I always thought when installed where they're supposed to go that they do about 4" lift. I guess all depends on hangers and shackle location and so forth. Either way, I'd just heard quite a few saying the 'daily driving' became a lil 'odd'... but I have no personal experience with them.... so can't say there's anything to it! lol. YOU WILL, however, see LOTS more flex.... Gonna have to extend the brake lines, move the LPSV, etc., maybe?
its all good. i hoping for only .5-1 inch of lift from what i currently have. my current set up (zuk mod with 4runner springs) brings me up to about 3 inches. i have already re did my LPSV and brake line when i did the ZUK mod.
i have heard alot of people say the chevys are not good in the long run but i think most are running long shackles and lifting blocks since 3-4 inch of lift is not what most are using them for. i did get to talk to a few local guys that just install the chevy with no blocks or super high lift and love them. rides smooth and can handle alot of weight. droops like no tomorrow too
Old 10-29-2012, 10:14 PM

Sounds great! So.... being 15" over stock length, eye to eye... And seeing how the cog is not in the same spot/ratio as ours, A/B ...... You doing what they all seem to do and move them forward 9"? (or is it 11? hehe.... Can't remember).... but excited to see whatcha get from it!

Hmmmm, ... now that I think about it, I think that I SHOULD try the 56" Dakota Springs I have...... I mean, they're the same Ratio, pretty much, A/B.... And, rated higher capacity... And, would DEFINITELY droop/stuff better....... As long as I'm sticking mostly stock height(plus 2.5").... I should be fine with em. Just really need to grab the hangers at the yard.(Have to bring a portable grinder to sheer off the rivets. (Dodge Rivets them into the frame. They're pretty dang solid... )

Anyway, no intention of highjacking... I'm very anxious to see how this goes. have fun, man!
Old 10-29-2012, 10:17 PM

its 11 inches forward and 4 inches back. looking at getting this kit and maybe u bolt flip kit at the same time
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index...-swap-kit.html
Old 10-29-2012, 10:51 PM

Wow, yeah,... that would REALLY be tempting to jump on, rather than fabbing it up, right? Hmmmmm, I think my 56" Springs are 2.50" as well.

anyway, not in a huge hurry to do it... Plus, I Need help, hehe... so it'll likely have to wait a few weeks at the least.

Sounds like a good deal and that it's worth a good try, man.... Could always sell the springs AND kit if you don't like em, right?

Quick Reply: ToyoTech559's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread