86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ToyoTech559's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man!!! How many jumps did u do to cause that? Haha jk good thing for the spare. And that weather looks nice!! I like the overcast picture with all the trucks lined up
Old 09-30-2012, 09:14 PM

Looks like a blast
Old 10-01-2012, 12:54 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, great shots, as usual... NICE on the on the beach repair, too!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:07 AM

what kinda of highway milage u getting out of your runner?? im thinking bout trading my 4 wheeler for a stock runner like urs
Old 10-01-2012, 11:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Toyo, good times chillen with you in the dunes!

Name:  Pismo007.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  37.5 KB
Old 10-01-2012, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vang_22re
Man!!! How many jumps did u do to cause that? Haha jk good thing for the spare. And that weather looks nice!! I like the overcast picture with all the trucks lined up
no jumps but i think i went to fast thru some huge whoops too fast. noticed a odd noise but didnt see anything or feel any funny steering problems. just glad i had a spare part and saw it before the 160miles drive home with a trailer
weather was perfect all three days.

Originally Posted by racerflea
Looks like a blast
it was, wish i could have stayed longer

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Wow, great shots, as usual... NICE on the on the beach repair, too!
thanks, didnt take too many pictures this time. spent alot of time riding and just enjoying the weather around the fire. 1st trail repair ever too lol. gonna have to order a tc idler arm i guess

what kinda of highway milage u getting out of your runner?? im thinking bout trading my 4 wheeler for a stock runner like urs
no sure, its not a daily driver so from what i have been able to gather with the GPS (true miles) i average 15mpg with and without a trailer

Originally Posted by BlazeN8
Hey Toyo, good times chillen with you in the dunes!

sweet picture. yea i dont like to drive much in the dunes in the runner lol. the t bars and rear end just doesnt like to big whoops too much. it still rides pretty good imo. compared to coilover and guys with the newer runners, they seem to be smoother. was nice to meet the guy that made my kit tho. no stickers
Old 10-01-2012, 02:37 PM

Does the long travel provide any lift oe does it just lengthen the travel
Old 10-01-2012, 03:03 PM

Does the long travel provide any lift oe does it just lengthen the travel
to have an even amount of up and down travel. it will give you 3 inches of lift depending on how you set your torsion bars. you can sit lower or higher and depending on which way you go, it just means your that much closer to the bump stops. i wanna say im right around the middle. its about the same height as i had before with just bj spacers/no crank on t bars
Old 10-03-2012, 02:11 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
WHAT THE HELL?!?! that was YOU AND NATE?!?! jeebus. just an FYI, MudBunni was Drooling hardcore over your rig.
sorry i didnt get around to meet you. didnt know you were gonna be there. :-/

we were in green camp in the northeast corner.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:03 AM

You're welcome... And DAYUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, .... I have now missed 4 trips to Pismo!!!!!!!!!! Course, now it's so bad that I didn't even know there was one hahaha.

Hangin with you and N8 and Troy was there too? Woulda been good times, man. Glad you're home safe without too much carnage.

BTW..... that TC idler... EEEEEEEEK! lol. I think on sale it's like 300$ right? I know there's a guy that grabbed every last Idler Brace from Downey..... He's REALLY hard to get a hold of for some reason... But maybe I can find him again. That route would be around 60$ or so and is supposed to be solid. My MOOG hasn't given me a problem in 10 years... But then, now YOU are REALLY pushing the limits and such.... it's probably a good Idea to beef that up, sure nuff .
Old 10-03-2012, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by space-junk
WHAT THE HELL?!?! that was YOU AND NATE?!?! jeebus. just an FYI, MudBunni was Drooling hardcore over your rig.
sorry i didnt get around to meet you. didnt know you were gonna be there. :-/

we were in green camp in the northeast corner.
yea nate said he was gonna be there and since he seen my rig, he just drove straight to me haha.
where you in the group that kinda just roped themselves off? last year was my 1st time and i didnt say high to anyone. this year i got around to atleast say high to my neighbors. i wanted to say hi to the rest but no one else came around to my camp to say hi lol.

next year i hope to go full circle and meet as many as i can lol. im working my way out i guess.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
You're welcome... And DAYUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, .... I have now missed 4 trips to Pismo!!!!!!!!!! Course, now it's so bad that I didn't even know there was one hahaha.

Hangin with you and N8 and Troy was there too? Woulda been good times, man. Glad you're home safe without too much carnage.

BTW..... that TC idler... EEEEEEEEK! lol. I think on sale it's like 300$ right? I know there's a guy that grabbed every last Idler Brace from Downey..... He's REALLY hard to get a hold of for some reason... But maybe I can find him again. That route would be around 60$ or so and is supposed to be solid. My MOOG hasn't given me a problem in 10 years... But then, now YOU are REALLY pushing the limits and such.... it's probably a good Idea to beef that up, sure nuff .
im still in the air about the TC idler since mine was the original one and it didnt bend or snap in half. the ball joint section of it just failed. it popped out of its socket. imo the TC better be the last idler i buy if i get it lol
Old 10-03-2012, 08:34 PM

found a old picture of when i 1st got the runner from my parents about 2+ years ago
it has came along way lol

and NOW. i need to get a new side shot of my runner
Old 10-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Contributing Member

Looks like you guys had a good time at the Jambo! Nate is a cool guy. We cruised around the dunes with him a couple years ago. Sorry I missed it this year, just had too much going on. Hopefully next year.

And, Mark, you need to make one of these events sometime. A lot of good people, and a laid back atmosphere. Good times!
Old 10-05-2012, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by malteserunner
Looks like you guys had a good time at the Jambo! Nate is a cool guy. We cruised around the dunes with him a couple years ago. Sorry I missed it this year, just had too much going on. Hopefully next year.

And, Mark, you need to make one of these events sometime. A lot of good people, and a laid back atmosphere. Good times!
Yea I was looking for a sequoia but didn't see any. Was expecting to see you too. I need to work on getting a newer runner or a lighter trailer. Too much weight for my 3.0 to pull up the long monster mountain otw back. The aluminum trailers are so expensive
Old 10-07-2012, 06:29 PM

Soooo...... As junk has already so kindly stated... the entire jamboree this year.... i was so totally gawking at your truck. Lol. Annndddd.... it helped make up my mind on which bumper to put on my truck. so thank you. And yes.. that was our group. Rather have drunk people crash into the tape first instead of the tent. Lol
Old 10-07-2012, 10:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm so glad I've been taking so many before and after pix of my truck. For reasons like that. I want to be able to look back on all my progress. Unfortunately I only have like 4 pix of my old red truck and a couple of videos. I want to make sure I have load of pix and videos for memories in case of ever rolls, gets jacked, or anything ya know.

When I seen your tlbefore pix I was like wow.... Huge difference to how it looks now. Awesome job. and all this has been over the coarse of two years only?
Old 10-08-2012, 07:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The wheeling photo's have fully sold me on the Blazeland kit!

I don't know what to do for the rear suspension yet though. Once I strip down my parts truck I'll get some photo's up in my build thread and ask for suggestions.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by MudBunni
Soooo...... As junk has already so kindly stated... the entire jamboree this year.... i was so totally gawking at your truck. Lol. Annndddd.... it helped make up my mind on which bumper to put on my truck. so thank you. And yes.. that was our group. Rather have drunk people crash into the tape first instead of the tent. Lol
should have came by and checked it out in person. the arb bumper is the best looking bumper imo but its $$$. worth it to those that like it i guess. i had to have it lol. i wanted to come to you group to say hi but the taping off threw me off and wasnt sure if you guys wanted anyone over there. next year !!

Originally Posted by Redeth005
I'm so glad I've been taking so many before and after pix of my truck. For reasons like that. I want to be able to look back on all my progress. Unfortunately I only have like 4 pix of my old red truck and a couple of videos. I want to make sure I have load of pix and videos for memories in case of ever rolls, gets jacked, or anything ya know.

When I seen your tlbefore pix I was like wow.... Huge difference to how it looks now. Awesome job. and all this has been over the coarse of two years only?
looking back when i 1st took over the runner. it was just gonna get a major tune up. fix all the leaks and make sure it was mechanically sound. than it was just gonna be my 4x4 snowboarding rig because i was getting tired of putting chains on my accord which does great in the snow btw. after one wheeling trip with some guys on the marlin board i was forever hooked. 2 years has gone and past. seems like i should have more done but so hard trying to keeping it with OEM parts and stock looking. i got a few changes for her soon.

Originally Posted by CDN-SMOKEJUMPER
The wheeling photo's have fully sold me on the Blazeland kit!

I don't know what to do for the rear suspension yet though. Once I strip down my parts truck I'll get some photo's up in my build thread and ask for suggestions.
glad to help you make your discussion. for the rear of mine i plan on trying some chevy 63s. yours is coils so idk what you would do to help keep the rear working as good as the long travel front. i know guys have done leaf spring set up in the rears on 2nd gen runners when they go solid axle so thats an option
Old 10-09-2012, 09:22 PM

from this last weekend. spent two days wheeling and camping at bald mountain and brewer lake.

almost rolled it on Hollywood Hill

my 1st time doing Hollywood Hill. did get up one 3 wheels mid way lol

sporting my toyota limited shirt from 2007 tundra class

running a winch line for the chevy down below

he busted his tranny mount

the start of Brewer lake

got a better grill for trips without a trailer. less than $40 on clearance at Lowes
Old 10-09-2012, 09:31 PM

Two words........ "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" and "YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!" hahaha.

Great pics, great looking time... Thanks for posting, Bud!

BTW, hows the wound healed? Felt bad for ya on that one... Yeah, I know, "Chicks dig scars", lol... But it still sux, or people would just smash their faces into door edges on occasion just for 'cool scars', right?

Rigs looking great, man!

PS> I need to at LEAST LOOK at my tranny mounts and then maybe into getting some armor, soon! I've got a bud who's gonna help me do sliders/bumpers/the springs... Think I should order up some 'protective' gear as well before we get started, ya know? .... lol... knock it all out in a weekend or something.

Quick Reply: ToyoTech559's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread