86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ToyoTech559's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by racerflea
huh i learned something new today.... never figured heat transfer between tcase and transmission would warrant a tcase cooler
haha i did too when i went under it to install the headers. i was like wtf is this for. i see the lines going to the t case haha

Originally Posted by space-junk
all autos came with the chain drive, so, you are correct, sir...
wish toyota made all auto use gear driven. such a pain to go dual case lol.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:17 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Glad to hear it's likely 'FOUND/Solved'...the vibe.... Those vibrations and such can REALLY be annoying... And, well, not good for the girl, right? Maybe rotate the tires and see if you find any change at all?

My front inner bearing was causing some of my shimmy.... Went away when replacing them.

That your lil red car over there in that pic?
Old 09-09-2012, 11:09 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Inchworm makes an adapter for auto to gear driven t-case by the way.....$$$$
http://www.inchwormgear.com/collecti...on-adapter-kit

Last edited by RBX; 09-09-2012 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Asded link
Old 09-09-2012, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Glad to hear it's likely 'FOUND/Solved'...the vibe.... Those vibrations and such can REALLY be annoying... And, well, not good for the girl, right? Maybe rotate the tires and see if you find any change at all?

My front inner bearing was causing some of my shimmy.... Went away when replacing them.

That your lil red car over there in that pic?
im trying to find a set of alum rims like yours. got a guy selling but he hasnt gotten back to me. it could be the front wheel bearings. not sure if i replaced it when i did the brakes a few years back. the little car is mine. gonna sell it soon. i am gonna miss it but i wanna get a new 4runner TE but in white so. if i sell it now i can save for when and if toyota will make a TE in white

Originally Posted by RBX
Inchworm makes an adapter for auto to gear driven t-case by the way.....$$$$
http://www.inchwormgear.com/collecti...on-adapter-kit
oh i know. its $$$ and i havent needed it. the auto helps make me crawl already. i just wish the t case wasnt linked hydraulically so i can just swap cases if i ever needed to.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:23 PM

not much of an update. doing little stuff getting ready for the upcoming pismo trip

pass smog with flying colors. nothing like waiting till the last day do get it done

been meaning to find a better way to mount my grill to my trailer toolbox. this was what i came up with for now. wished it sat lower but the wheels are almost to wide for the lid and its not strong enough to just be strapped to the lid. plastic wheels you know haha

Old 09-10-2012, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The grill setup looks good. Your "HC" seems a little high at 15 mph?. Maybe some new spark plugs or wires, but that doesnt matter. You got another two years. Haha
Old 09-11-2012, 12:00 AM

Congratz on the smog! WOW I hated my last one! hahaha...

Nice on the grill mount.. Very nice. Looks like you got a STACK OF nice lil dirt toys in there, man! WOW!

BTW, yeah.... Seems like Outlaw 2's are always "OH, yeah, sorry, I have 3" or "They're PERFECT"... and they are NOT, hardly! LOL.... ORRRRR, the famous, "They fit Chevy's, Nissans ANDDDDDDDDDDDDD TOYOTAS!"... But they don't! lol. ALWAYS see them in the Inland Empire though, Toyo.... Far, I know.. Just sayin, they're out there. Guy had a great deal on some pretty nice procomp aluminums on CL... he said, "Must buy 5", but at like 70$ each, ... EASILY 200$ rims, I would guess..... but just too flashy and shiny... Maybe in black or 'brushed', not polished, ya know?
Old 09-11-2012, 12:01 AM

Here they are........

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/3264042351.html

I don't know, I kinda like em... Just not polished, like I said. But 300$ for 5? NOT BAD for Aluminum, right? I KNOW they're worth twice that new, ya know?
Old 09-11-2012, 11:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chef - I've never been good with the chrome rim look but these really look great.
Toyo - we got the same grill!
Old 09-11-2012, 01:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
nice s2000
Old 09-11-2012, 01:46 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Redeth005
x3
Old 09-11-2012, 01:50 PM

Yeah, they look pretty decent, Richard... Just don't like the polished part... Maybe brushed or color? Kinda remind me a lil of stock Yota Steelies, but without those rivet/beadlock looking things all the way around. Just not really used to those I guess.

Kelvin, .... the thing looks CLEAN, no? Dropped maybe, too? What you got into that thing, Toyo? Stock mostly? Speed demon? Give it up! lol.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by vang_22re
The grill setup looks good. Your "HC" seems a little high at 15 mph?. Maybe some new spark plugs or wires, but that doesnt matter. You got another two years. Haha
yea the HC is high at the 15 mph but at 25 mph it was super low. i was told by a coworker that it might be due to my huge tires. even tho im regeared its more weight so more load. i didnt have time to go over to your buddies smog shop cuz i barely got of work early enough to get it done. dont wait till the last day haha

Congratz on the smog! WOW I hated my last one! hahaha...

Nice on the grill mount.. Very nice. Looks like you got a STACK OF nice lil dirt toys in there, man! WOW!

BTW, yeah.... Seems like Outlaw 2's are always "OH, yeah, sorry, I have 3" or "They're PERFECT"... and they are NOT, hardly! LOL.... ORRRRR, the famous, "They fit Chevy's, Nissans ANDDDDDDDDDDDDD TOYOTAS!"... But they don't! lol. ALWAYS see them in the Inland Empire though, Toyo.... Far, I know.. Just sayin, they're out there. Guy had a great deal on some pretty nice procomp aluminums on CL... he said, "Must buy 5", but at like 70$ each, ... EASILY 200$ rims, I would guess..... but just too flashy and shiny... Maybe in black or 'brushed', not polished, ya know?
i always hate going to smog lol just glad i passed. reason i want the outlaw 2 is due to weight. they are the lightest i have found that a few people have and sell here and there. the pro comps are cheapy rims. i mean they look cool but most of the time they are heavy due to mixed metals used.

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Chef - I've never been good with the chrome rim look but these really look great.
its a great grill. i kinda wanna get rid of it or use it for just the house. i want get a smaller one that i been eyeballing. i used to grilling at the house with a big grill and i was expecting the need for a decent size one for when i go camping. after a few camping trips i realized that i dont need one this big lol heck i could just cook stuff over a open fire. i just wanna keep my gear light. take only what i need and not over pack. i like to be organized. what is it called. OCD. i guess im semi OCD lol

Originally Posted by kelvinb
nice s2000
its im gonna selling it or have a dealer just buy it. i want the cash so i can save up for a brand new 4runner TE

Kelvin, .... the thing looks CLEAN, no? Dropped maybe, too? What you got into that thing, Toyo? Stock mostly? Speed demon? Give it up! lol.
got it after a year of starting my career as a toyota tech. i was young around 21 and had money. now that im older 27 and into other stuff. i wanna get rid of it for like i said a 4runner TE. its a fun car and im gonna miss it. i just dont have room for all these vehicles. they are all paid off but no room. its not much to keep them now. space is the issue. if i need to get my heart pumping i still have a 08 CBR600RR. suckers fast since im only 130lbs lol

mines the one on the left with the blue painters tape on the window "R3DS2K"

its just lowered. illegal tint all around. Alpine sound system. deck, speakers, amps the works. all Alpine. little stuff like black emblems from the CR s2000

ok more about the s2000 lol
Old 09-11-2012, 11:47 PM

WTH? Lol... Is that a convension? "All the red over here, Yellow here, .... stuff that gunmetal gray one next to the last red one there.... Hmmmm,.. Let's s2000 this lot up! " lol. NICE CAR! Very much enjoyed driving my buddies to Mammoth one time. IT'S A ZIPPY lil dude! lol.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559

Yeah, where and what was that gathering all about? Kinda cool though. Was that at the American Honda HQ in Torrance or something?
Old 09-12-2012, 10:54 AM

Yea it was at Honda HQ. for S2000 Homecoming II. I missed the 1st one. Not sure if they are gonna do a 3rd one.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:28 PM

Yeah, looked familiar. My friend's step-father is Tom Elliott, former exec vp of american honda. He started the whole indy car thing for them, amongst many other things,...now almost all those indy cars run honda engines. Love talking to the guy, if I remember correctly, he first worked with the company while working for another little contracted company that delivered the documents/plans for them. He would deliver documents by bicycle between the facilities (there was no consolidated campus at that time) long before they had that big HQ facility...awesome story.

If you make the 3rd one let us know....place is 10 minutes from Chef and I.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:52 PM

YES, please, let us know... would love to meet ya, toyo
Old 09-12-2012, 06:00 PM

not sure if ill have it by the 3rd or if there is even talk about a 3rd one. either way ill let you guys know.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:40 PM

3days at pismo was awesome. didnt wanna leave. did have my 1st trail repair lol. was on the way off the beach. pulled over to air up and noticed something not right. i normally dont care spares of anything, just tools. i got lucky and the only spare i carry for the 1st time ever, i ended up needing it. on board air and air tools made the swap easy!! video is after i got home. i didnt take any while i was there since my other buddies were waiting on me to fix it lol

also won this at the raffle

my bike

he parked it after a few guys tried to get him out at night. 2wd failed

Quick Reply: ToyoTech559's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread