86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ToyoTech559's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 09:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dude that's some awesome footage. How do you mount that camera on to the bottom of your truck. you outta make a how to video on how to mount it.

I especially love the picture where your 4runner is with all those tiny carts lol. its like watch out the big boy is coming in. hahahah
Old 09-03-2012, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally caught up on ur thread and its come along nicely!!! Sorry to hear ur drive train issue is still troubling u!!
Old 09-03-2012, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Grego92
That is nice footage for a rigged up regular cam. The go pro's are nice...alot of guys shoot underwater footage off the kayaks with them and video the surf launches and big fish battles.
yea the waterproof is one of the reasons i want one because you can see it gets dusty and my lens is now dusty lol. i need to clean it. im looking at the hero 2 because i should be able to control it from my iphone. maybe view it ?? lol if so that be sweet

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Dude that's some awesome footage. How do you mount that camera on to the bottom of your truck. you outta make a how to video on how to mount it.

I especially love the picture where your 4runner is with all those tiny carts lol. its like watch out the big boy is coming in. hahahah
i got some pictures of how its mounted down below. the UTV are awesome they go everywhere we go lol

Originally Posted by racerflea
Finally caught up on ur thread and its come along nicely!!! Sorry to hear ur drive train issue is still troubling u!!
it is, i love driving it. the drivetrain issue bugs the crap out of me.

where here is how i did the camera mount. i used a ebay camera suction mount to do this

Old 09-03-2012, 01:21 PM

That looks good!!! But for some reason i cant view ur video on mu phone. GRRRR!!!! Haha ill get on the computer later.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:48 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
WOW, that's very clever! I'm getting a new Point and Shoot soon.. So I'll use my old one to do that type stuff... I thin k I have all I need to do it, so why not, right? Thanks, Toyo, for taking time to share how you hooked it up
Old 09-03-2012, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by vang_22re
That looks good!!! But for some reason i cant view ur video on mu phone. GRRRR!!!! Haha ill get on the computer later.
i plan on doing more videos but from different mounting places. next up will be on the front bumper i think lol

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
WOW, that's very clever! I'm getting a new Point and Shoot soon.. So I'll use my old one to do that type stuff... I thin k I have all I need to do it, so why not, right? Thanks, Toyo, for taking time to share how you hooked it up
if i wasnt set on a go pro hero 2 i would get a waterproof point and shoot. that way after each run i can just run it under water. i seen waterproof camera go for around 100-150 i think. well worth if you dont wanna get a go pro
Old 09-03-2012, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
i plan on doing more videos but from different mounting places. next up will be on the front bumper i think lol

THAT is one that I was gonna start with, a cam on the bumper/grill guard. There's a spot I think I can mount it to show the front suspension and rear, diagonal sides, all in one shot and still not smash the camera when it gets to 'indo' style spots, lol. I have to get the sliders and slap em on soon.... Got REALLY close a couple times, for sure!

if i wasnt set on a go pro hero 2 i would get a waterproof point and shoot. that way after each run i can just run it under water. i seen waterproof camera go for around 100-150 i think. well worth if you dont wanna get a go pro
I love those Go-Pro's... And the thing is, they handle the 'wind' so well.. Point and shoots seem to really go NUTS, at least mine does, with the ''shweeeeesuuwoooooooooooshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh'' factor! hahaha. Thanks, good idea, Toyo... Why cheap out when I could have something PRACTICAL AND USEFUL for a lil more, right? BTW, they're around 200 for the decent ones, like the new Fuji is supposed to be a really nice one with 12.5mp and 1080P video and Wind Cancelling, etc., ya know? They're REALLY high tech now... I mean, I'm getting a GS3 pretty soon, I'm pretty sure that's the phone I'll get.... But NO WAY is it coming out for 'wheeling video'... it's not even gonna get used for that... Video on that will be more spur of the moment stuff with the kiddo's, etc., ya know? This stinks... I can't even upgrade from my rumor2 to a Galaxy S3 cuz I'm never able to get down there and use it long enough to KNOW that's the one I want, grrr! LOL. You said you're an iPhone guy? DON'T YELL AT ME if I'm wrong, hahhaa... I know Droid People HATE being call "Apple Jacks", lol.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:01 PM

Do the hero cams record sound?
Old 09-03-2012, 08:39 PM

Do the hero cams record sound?
I'm not sure, ... I think, now that I really reflect, that the guys who do videos of sports stuff, etc., say the mic's suck... BUT, ....compared to what? I swear I remember seeing a guys video of wheeling where he was hauling arse at pismo beach... You could hear the revving and sand flying, etc... BUT, maybe he had separate audio. All I know is that my Older Nikon Coolpix seems to suck at both! hahaha. No, it's not bad as some I've seen... And it's been good to me.. but I think I wanna upgrade now, for sure.

Read something from adrenaline dudes saying they prefered the Oregon Scientific? Something about the GoPro having TERRIBLE battery life... Cuz it's such high quality picture, I guess. They advertise an hour, but it's really like 12 minutes if it's in high altitude, etc. I'd have to read up much more on it. Gotta say, that stuff Toyo just filmed didn't look too bad to me, nor sound terrible either! lol.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:27 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
jealous of your rig, even more jealous of the trails you get to use!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:58 PM

the go pro records sound. im pretty set on the go pro now with a added wifi/bluetooth feature and soon go pro app for iphone, i will be able to hit record when i want plus it allows for live feed viewing, so i can spot myself on the rocks.

the Fuji waterproof camera in green was the one i got to use while in hawaii. it worked so well under water, its crazy bring it in the water for the 1st time.

i love the runner, it still a working progress but im in love with how well it has performed and looks so well with the mods i have done lol i plan on attacking just about all the trails i have since most if not all are connected one way or another. it may not be done in this since some require much larger lift and tires lol
Old 09-06-2012, 09:03 PM

so i got a little update on my drivetrain vib. 1st i got a hold of a CV driveline and took it to my local driveline place to get it lengthen. i got it back today, went to remove the stock driveline and decided to check my flange nuts. found the nut on the t case loose!! torqued it to 100 ft lbs and went for a drive using the stock driveline. it got better, the rumble/buzzing noise is gone when decel from 70-60.
now i get a solid vibration only at certain speeds. noise is alot quieter but still there. might be a bearing in the tail housing of t case. i still wanna throw the cv driveline on since i already spent money getting it lengthen. before i can, i have to take out the shims since the cv needs the rear diff pointed at the t case. anyways heres a video of the nut

Old 09-06-2012, 09:42 PM

Awww man!!! That thing is loose!!! Tighten it!!! And tell us how it goes
Old 09-08-2012, 05:14 PM

i did tighten it. it took care of the noise but i can still kinda hear it if i hold just the right throttle at highway speeds. since it is tight, the vibration is now more pronounced. i think having the shims i did before is causing the vibrations. to tackle this and make sure i rule out as much as i can. i went and got a cv driveline and had it lengthen. today at work i took the shims out so the pinon is pointed at the t-case like its suppose to weather you have single u joints on each end or a cv driveline. this was how toyota had it when it was stock with single u joints. i can only guess the lift caused a slight vibration which i never noticed or i did and just figure it was the used rims not being straight or the large tires since i only balanced them with airsoft bb. that small vibration must have somehow loosen up something in the t case causing that nut to not be tight. its not like the nut came loose since it was staked so something in the t case must be wearing (bearing?)

enough talk i tighten up the nut and threw on a cv driveline because its just better and a must imo for any lifted truck

now that i have the nut torqued, shims removed (pinon pointed at t case) and cv driveline installed. just the drive home, i got little to no vibrations (could be rims/tires now) and the noise is gone. for now im gonna let it roll. if it becomes an issue down the road it will show and i hate to chase it now. better it let it show me when its time

Last edited by ToyoTech559; 09-08-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:32 PM

What is that cooler for???
Old 09-08-2012, 05:46 PM

What is that cooler for???
i have an automatic. the cooler is tied into the t case. the cooler was orignally mounted near the pass front mud flap area. i moved it cause i have headers (v6 3.0) the transmission has a cooler as well up front in the radiator. i funny because the transmission and t case share the same fluid so i have two coolers for it. transmission never over heats
Old 09-08-2012, 06:18 PM

So ur truck came with a t-case cooler??
Old 09-08-2012, 07:49 PM

So ur truck came with a t-case cooler??
Yea I think all the automatic did that has a chain driven case.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:44 AM

huh i learned something new today.... never figured heat transfer between tcase and transmission would warrant a tcase cooler
Old 09-09-2012, 01:55 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
all autos came with the chain drive, so, you are correct, sir...

Quick Reply: ToyoTech559's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread