86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ToyoTech559's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
auto is awesome for crawling. no need for dual cases at all. save much money. i know its far from being the same but still the same concept. most if not all buggies are automatic. they are just built to handle the higher hp engines that is used.
You just need a 4.70 crawl box or marlin crawler, that plus an automatic...nice
Old 08-13-2012, 07:58 PM

Dude i didnt know you worked with my uncle. Or next to him or whatever it is. Haha he drives the big red 2nd gen pickup, but now its green.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:09 PM

nice 4runner! good luck with the build
Old 08-17-2012, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SAS and dual cases anyone ?
Old 08-17-2012, 06:58 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Very nice, don't you have an auto Trans?
Old 08-17-2012, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by RBX
yes he does. Who you helping out there toyo? Cause I know your not doing a SAS on your rig. Unless that is you are getting started on the 82....
Old 08-17-2012, 07:59 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm very confused......... Doing this to another Yota? Ditching the BL? Just curious.

BTW, YES, I'm on my way to pick them up ........ what? You said, "Anyone?" hehehee.

Sorry if I missed this plan, Toyo... fill me in?
Old 08-17-2012, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Phessor
I agree, automatics for wheeling are awesome!
hopefully within a year i will be able to compare it with a dual case

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Toyo... working where you do... do you hear/know of any factoids/ regarding that the V6 Auto trans(which was completely different than the 22RE Auto predecessors) being a lot stronger trans than the 2.4 Auto's?
i have only been with toyota for like 6 years. i hardly see anything pre 96 anymore. imo these toyota motors dont put out any real HP to break any transmissions. nothing in a auto trans can really break. you just wear out clutches over time depending on how much weight its pushing. than the torque convertor can blow if you hold it at stall speed to long lol

Originally Posted by THEMAN
You just need a 4.70 crawl box or marlin crawler, that plus an automatic...nice
i know but i dont wanna loose my 228. it super torquey in 4low

Originally Posted by vang_22re
Dude i didnt know you worked with my uncle. Or next to him or whatever it is. Haha he drives the big red 2nd gen pickup, but now its green.
i know huh. yea i work with him, the owner owns a lot of makes in the same area. he has been talking to me about a few things. fresno and small world huh i just picked up a rear axle housing from someone he knows a week or two ago, he drove a SA or SAS pickup. also owns a black fit. maybe you know him too

Originally Posted by BadaBoom!
nice 4runner! good luck with the build
thank you thank you

Originally Posted by RBX
love my auto trans! its so nice to have no wheel spin
Old 08-17-2012, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by THEMAN
yes he does. Who you helping out there toyo? Cause I know your not doing a SAS on your rig. Unless that is you are getting started on the 82....
I'm very confused......... Doing this to another Yota? Ditching the BL? Just curious.

BTW, YES, I'm on my way to pick them up ........ what? You said, "Anyone?" hehehee.

Sorry if I missed this plan, Toyo... fill me in?
just a teaser. once i get enough parts. i will be updating and posting on my 82 build page. got a bunch of parts lined up. the runner has been having this odd rumbling/vib noise at certain speeds and i need to take my mind of it. so im gonna build my 82 up in the meantime because i need something to off road asap. runner will still be good for intown stuff i think.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:09 PM

Ah hahhhhh, ..... thanks for fillin me in, toyo

Sorry to hear about the 'shake-rattle'n'roll!' Best to ya on the 82/staying distracted from Old Blanca!

PS> I KNOW you've thought of everything....... But out of the 8-10 times in various yotas that I've had 'shake' at 'certain speeds'.... it's 90% of the time been the tires throwing weights, etc. Even with some almost brand new 31 BFG's on my White Runner...... it did that on a trip. They hadn't secured a couple weights properly, so it developed a VERY annoying shutter that of course kept me at 70MPH or more... Anything between 60-68 or so was '5.2 on the Scale!' haha.

The other 2 times; 1 was a u-joint that JUST did it at certain speeds.... And the other was a wheel bearing up front on this one.

Best wishes, when you DO start fishing for it, on finding it quick! Later dude
Old 08-18-2012, 06:48 AM

Thanks. I have been trying to figure it. I wanna say it started before the elocker and budbuilt. It's a floor board vib. The entire truck doesn't vib or the steering wheel. Tires are balanced via bb inside wheels. When it vib. I also hear this rumbling sound. Happens mainly on coasting from 70 down to 60ish. Since the start I have replaced both engine and trans mount. I have replaced u joints on 1st driveline. No change. Order axle shims to make my t case and 3rd member parallel to each. Seem to have gotten worst. Not sure if it was due to shims or something is starting to fail. I now get a on off noise on acceleration from 30-45ish.
Got a second driveline and swapped my ended and u joints on it than balanced. No change. Got a completely rebuilt 3rd driveline and balanced no change.
Next I'm gonna re torque both t case nut and piñon nut. If no change the shims are coming out.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:42 PM

No i dont really no none of his buddies haha but i do know that all their rigs are build mainly for rock crawling.

Hopefully you find what the problem is. You basicly cancelled out all the odds to the vibration. But there is still one more thing or two or three. But what ever it is i hope you find it haha

And BTW. Isent the 82 alread an SFA?
Old 08-20-2012, 09:02 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Been out a while and playing catch up reading....

I see you did some yak fishing!! awesome! you'll get one next time.

AND that cup holder in the map pocket is the best mod I've seen in a long time! I got so excited when I saw that pic, ran and grabbed the keys and took the one I had out of the camry and put it in the pocket...hahhahhhaa!! Perfect FIT! Now I gotta get two more, one for the camry and one more for the truck. I shall call this the toyotech cup hold mod and put it on my build thread! Thanks for that! Oh, and hope your stitches come out clean and no scars..that had to hurt!

Name:  IMG_0273.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  150.2 KB

Last edited by Grego92; 08-20-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by vang_22re
No i dont really no none of his buddies haha but i do know that all their rigs are build mainly for rock crawling.

Hopefully you find what the problem is. You basicly cancelled out all the odds to the vibration. But there is still one more thing or two or three. But what ever it is i hope you find it haha

And BTW. Isent the 82 alread an SFA?
I don't why everyone thinks u need a SA to rock crawl. At least try before you knock ifs lol. Anyways the 82 is SA but the axle I picked up is from 85 and it's already armored and gusted up. Plus it has v6 vented rotors and calibers. Picked it for a really good price and I will be mod this housing for an E Locker. I love my Toyota lockers lol
Old 08-21-2012, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Grego92
Been out a while and playing catch up reading....

I see you did some yak fishing!! awesome! you'll get one next time.

AND that cup holder in the map pocket is the best mod I've seen in a long time! I got so excited when I saw that pic, ran and grabbed the keys and took the one I had out of the camry and put it in the pocket...hahhahhhaa!! Perfect FIT! Now I gotta get two more, one for the camry and one more for the truck. I shall call this the toyotech cup hold mod and put it on my build thread! Thanks for that! Oh, and hope your stitches come out clean and no scars..that had to hurt!

1st time on the water in one of those things. It was funny and scary to see the other guy in picture flip into the water lol. I didn't stay out long enough to really fish. Got hungry and tired haha. The cup holder idea was found in the cheap mod thread and so far I love it.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:44 PM

went up to my favorite and well known trail, bald mt again lol. a friend invited me and i wanted to check out his 83 so i can plan mine. i also shot some video of the LT working. i still need to play around with where else to put the camera for better footage.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:51 PM

I musta missed it,.... you got a go pro? Or just mounted something you have on your sliders? VERY cool, man! Thanks for sharing the trip, Toyo

PS> I had a good trip yesterday with Redeth and his lady. VERY beautiful day, hot or not, lol. The CV's held up to quite a bit of 'being pushed' to the limits(minus any skinny pedal and mogul action) lol...

Again, great pics... love the rig, buddy!
Old 09-02-2012, 07:52 PM

PS> How you liking the billy's?
Old 09-02-2012, 08:34 PM

I musta missed it,.... you got a go pro? Or just mounted something you have on your sliders? VERY cool, man! Thanks for sharing the trip, Toyo

PS> I had a good trip yesterday with Redeth and his lady. VERY beautiful day, hot or not, lol. The CV's held up to quite a bit of 'being pushed' to the limits(minus any skinny pedal and mogul action) lol...

Again, great pics... love the rig, buddy!
I just zipped tied a window suction camera mount to my frame and zipped tied the camera cord to the slider just in case the mount fails. After getting some footage. I'm looking to invest in a gopro for the wide angle view. I really wanna show off the long travel lol. The Billy's? I'm guess the bilstein? I love them. Had to get rid of the front OME cuz they where to short. I see your trip. Looks good and cv rebuild looks awesome.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:40 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
That is nice footage for a rigged up regular cam. The go pro's are nice...alot of guys shoot underwater footage off the kayaks with them and video the surf launches and big fish battles.

Quick Reply: ToyoTech559's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread