86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ToyoTech559's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
never noticed that the bumper stuck past the fender line till i went LT. on compression and turning, it would RUB!! grrr. i also didnt like how it looked so i went to my new local on the side fabricator who did an awesome job install my sliders for some more work. chop chop. he even plated it so it looked like it never happened. i love it! he does such an amazing job. i have a few more stuff i want him to do for me when he has time.

i wont know if it was enough till im out on the trails. living in the city means not big enough rock to flex it out
Old 07-28-2012, 05:16 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, he did a great job/nice weld Looks good, man!
Old 07-28-2012, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That some clean fab skills.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:38 PM

Thanks but I just cut up a 800 dollar bumper. Jk
Old 07-28-2012, 06:50 PM

Its ok, its just 800$ haha
Old 07-28-2012, 08:07 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
^^^ sometimes you just have to.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by vang_22re
Its ok, its just 800$ haha
i know its just chump change. wait till i find out how much my rear bumper gonna cost me

Originally Posted by RBX
^^^ sometimes you just have to.
i know. i not mad or anything. as much fun as i have wheeling, anything that needs to be done for more fun is ok with me. im just glad i found someone local i am comfortable doing work on my rig (welding/fab work only). if you go back, i done all the mods to my runner. even regear and mod a housing for an elocker. both i have never done or have seen first hand.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
i know its just chump change. wait till i find out how much my rear bumper gonna cost me

i know. i not mad or anything. as much fun as i have wheeling, anything that needs to be done for more fun is ok with me. im just glad i found someone local i am comfortable doing work on my rig (welding/fab work only). if you go back, i done all the mods to my runner. even regear and mod a housing for an elocker. both i have never done or have seen first hand.
Who's your local guy? I want to buy a welder but am waiting on it for a bit. I may have some work done too.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by THEMAN
Who's your local guy? I want to buy a welder but am waiting on it for a bit. I may have some work done too.
you want his number now or ill give it to you sunday on our wheeling trip?
Old 07-29-2012, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by THEMAN
Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
you want his number now or ill give it to you sunday on our wheeling trip?
OH GOOD, you guys are back together again!!!!!! (The rigs I mean, OF COURSE! lol) ....... After all that bickering over that other hussy Toyo went out with.... You've overcome it and are going to bounce and flex around on the trail together again.... Just moving I tell you!

hehehe..... JK, but that just cracked me up THEMAN!(when you razzed him for letting his rig cheat on ya? haha)... So I thought I'd share my hypothetical scenario... And HEY, Where else can you see such imagination, involving inanimate objects, other than in A TOYOTA LOVERS WORLD, RIGHT?

Toyo.... I gotta say.... CAN'T WAIT FOR MORE PICS! .........(Make up wheeling is always the hottest!) ahhahahahahaa
Old 07-29-2012, 11:41 AM

nice clean welds
Old 07-30-2012, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
OH GOOD, you guys are back together again!!!!!! (The rigs I mean, OF COURSE! lol) ....... After all that bickering over that other hussy Toyo went out with.... You've overcome it and are going to bounce and flex around on the trail together again.... Just moving I tell you!

hehehe..... JK, but that just cracked me up THEMAN!(when you razzed him for letting his rig cheat on ya? haha)... So I thought I'd share my hypothetical scenario... And HEY, Where else can you see such imagination, involving inanimate objects, other than in A TOYOTA LOVERS WORLD, RIGHT?

Toyo.... I gotta say.... CAN'T WAIT FOR MORE PICS! .........(Make up wheeling is always the hottest!) ahhahahahahaa
haha your too funny... i do cant wait for more pictures, you got any?
i cant wait for this weekend. 1st time fishing in a long time. im still a wrookie haha

Originally Posted by twisted_toy
nice clean welds
heck yea
Old 07-30-2012, 10:55 PM

Mehhhh, ask anyone who's fished for years..... "THE NEW GUYS OFTEN do well and tick off all the vet's that get nothing that day!" hahaha.. My first time on the ocean, fishing off Channel Islands ... I caught the biggest fish on the boat!(yep, pops will verify it to this day, ...it's actually a TRUE fish story hahaha.) 15yrs old, and some of these older dudes were TICKED! Anyway, it was a 52# California Halibut, and he DID NOT want to come in... I was literally exhausted, and what else did he decide to do to tick everyone off? RUN STERN, BOW, STARBOARD, PORT, THROUGH EVERYONE'S LINE ON THE BOAT, turning into a Christmas Tree Lights looking mess! hahaha... But the OLDER DUDES WITH CLASS on there stuck up for me, started cutting other lines I got cut in and kept saying, "He's got the winner for the day... I could feel in his liine..IT'S BIG, let's help him out!"... One of the greatest experiences with my Pops...EVER! He said, after 30 Minutes or so, "NO WAY, I can't take it,... you'll never live it down... Hang in there, son... Sit back, let him run a lil if you want, but remember, that's more work again, later!".... I got up and stuck with it and when they pulled that bastage up, I KICKED IT! lol! They don't get as big as Pacific Halibut... but I caught one in the upper 20% range of PEAK size... (I think they get up to 70# or so, maybe 5ft?)... THAT GOT ME SOLD on fishing, Toyo! Most of fishing is just sport, chatting, sometimes NO CHATTING and just relaxing.... and HOPEFULLY, eating some good grub!

REALLY quick... one other great story that My pops will, again, verify! lol....

Went to the Mississippi River in Iowa, with my uncle, a PRO fisherman... Had the boat from hell and a tall seat, etc.... THIS DUDE LOVED Catfish... So, one night, when I was around 9, we all put our lines out and went to bed..... Well at least I THOUGHT WE all did, haha... They took a line with like 10 Fish on it and attached it to one of my poles lines... I woke up and reeled it in and said, "DAD, LOOK!!!!" hahaha. He never told me til later... Thought I was the best fisherman in the world! haha. WELL, later that day.... I put my line out again, while eating lunch, thinking< "Hey, I have the touch! Why not??" haha... We all heard this NOISY action, and turned around, and sure enough, it was my pole... This time, no trick... my hook had snagged a HUGE 4ft CATFISH behind it's head! hehe.... I caught him on accident! HOWS THAT FOR SKILL FREE FISHING? lol.

Sorry, I'll stop.. but I gotta say, some of my fondest memories were out fishing! Taking my daughters up to the North American Fork, Kern River, all through Kings Canyon, Owens River, Convict lake.... THEY LOVED IT! My oldest daughter Caught a pretty big Golden Trout in the Kern River... They LOVED fishing there, North of Lake Isabella......where the boats haven't TOTALLY funkified the water just yet, ya know? haha.

HAVE FUN, TOYO!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought thoaearb bumpers are aupposed to be shipped and ready to fit. Whyd yours stick out more? BTW sweet skills. I wish I was able to weld.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:58 AM

Hope to catch a few for my grandma. I'm not a fan of fish but she is.

Originally Posted by Redeth005
I thought thoaearb bumpers are aupposed to be shipped and ready to fit. Whyd yours stick out more? BTW sweet skills. I wish I was able to weld.
They are ready to fit. They all stick past the fenders and I never rubbed it on a mild lift. But since I have long travel. My wheels stick out so far past the fender it will rub when compressed and at turned a certain amount.
My build style is not your typical build. You really won't find anyone really using an arb with long travel lol. I'm taking a little bit from all types of build to make an all around rig from rock crawling to dunes to expedition to everyday if I wanted to.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Front bumper turned out sweet! Sorry if I missed it, but what are you planning for the rear?
Old 08-02-2012, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Front bumper turned out sweet! Sorry if I missed it, but what are you planning for the rear?
Thank you. I'm working with a local welder/fab guy that did my slider and bumper chop on making a custom rear plated bumper. Depends on time and cost. I hope to have a few unquie features taking from a few current bumpers I have seen and adding it all to one (my) bumper lol
Old 08-02-2012, 01:24 PM

Should be really nice, Toyo(The rear bumper plan)... Can't wait to see it
Old 08-02-2012, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Should be really nice, Toyo(The rear bumper plan)... Can't wait to see it
me too haha

anyways, due to a recent work injury, got stitches on my face in two places, i might not be able to get my axle shim installed before this next trip. i might try to sneak them in on saturday but will see, i dont wanna prolong my healing
so all i got done was cup holders, one on each door

Old 08-02-2012, 07:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Ouch!!! That looks like it hurt! Hope ya heal up quick! I like the cupholder mod!

Quick Reply: ToyoTech559's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread