86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ToyoTech559's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20lbs? Hold your horses cowboy. Haha im pretty sure most trails here have mostly trouts. Youll be good with just 6 lb lines
Old 07-21-2012, 01:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by THEMAN
Yeah I'll show you how Ill bring you a pole and gear if you need some. I just better not see anymore pics with the Grey slut, anymore we all know your into :jessica:.lol
i love them classic :jessica:

Originally Posted by vang_22re
20lbs? Hold your horses cowboy. Haha im pretty sure most trails here have mostly trouts. Youll be good with just 6 lb lines
haha ok, its spooled with a 8lb line right now. i figure if i get a 20lb line, i would be set till the pole breaks hah
Old 07-21-2012, 03:36 PM

Thought I'de chime in . w/20lb you cant feel the nibble of the trout hence lower lbs more feel.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by jswizz
Thought I'de chime in . w/20lb you cant feel the nibble of the trout hence lower lbs more feel.
Thats what I tell all the women
Old 07-22-2012, 07:59 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Ah man...I saw "Fishing Trip" and got all excited! but then went back and saw where you guys were going, too far! I gotta get one of those rear lockers on first before I go anywhere with you guys.

Yea, 20lb is overkill and then some for trout fishing. I use 20lb for ocean halibut fishing . You wouldn't even be able to get that diameter line through the hole on the hook for trout, hahhahaa. I use 4lb and maybe 6lb if I'm fishing for big brown trout up in the Bishop area. Make sure you have a rod that is rated for your line. Don't use a big ol' 7 foot rod rated for 20-30lb fishing for trout. You need one rated at about 2-6lb or in that area and about 5 1/2 to 6 foot length.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by jswizz
i have alot to learn than haha

Thats what I tell all the women

Originally Posted by Grego92
Ah man...I saw "Fishing Trip" and got all excited! but then went back and saw where you guys were going, too far! I gotta get one of those rear lockers on first before I go anywhere with you guys.

Yea, 20lb is overkill and then some for trout fishing. I use 20lb for ocean halibut fishing . You wouldn't even be able to get that diameter line through the hole on the hook for trout, hahhahaa. I use 4lb and maybe 6lb if I'm fishing for big brown trout up in the Bishop area. Make sure you have a rod that is rated for your line. Don't use a big ol' 7 foot rod rated for 20-30lb fishing for trout. You need one rated at about 2-6lb or in that area and about 5 1/2 to 6 foot length.
would have been awesome if you came, looks like you know what your doing when it comes to fishing i have like a 6 foot rod with 8lb line. i should be good. if i get hooked into fishing i may add to my collection
Old 07-22-2012, 03:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a useless fisherman. I live in a top class area for fishing and didn't catch a damn thing last year.........

People spend a fortune to come up near the arctic for fishing and it's my backyard. I'll try again when I go home from the mine. My dad is moving up here to live with me and I'm sure he'll want to go. Plus he doesn't drink so I have a pocket designated driver. If I can't catch anything at least I can get loaded.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by CDN-SMOKEJUMPER
I'm a useless fisherman. I live in a top class area for fishing and didn't catch a damn thing last year.........

People spend a fortune to come up near the arctic for fishing and it's my backyard. I'll try again when I go home from the mine. My dad is moving up here to live with me and I'm sure he'll want to go. Plus he doesn't drink so I have a pocket designated driver. If I can't catch anything at least I can get loaded.
i know the feeling, the trails have been in my backyard forever since i lived here my entire life. too bad i as young, followed all the import scene and got into lowered cars which im still trying to get out off. got a 2006 s2000 with 21k i need to sell. looking at getting a new 4runner trail edition. i need a better expo/towing rig.
anyways i changed my shovel mount with some quick fist clamps. tomorrow if i have time, gonna redo some wiring and get my compressor switched wired up

Old 07-23-2012, 08:00 PM

Your selling the s2?!? For how much? My buddy was looking into buying one. He just told me yesterday

I thought you already got the compressor wired up? Or is it just sitting in the trunk to look cool? If thats the case, then it looks pretty cool haha
Old 07-23-2012, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by vang_22re
Your selling the s2?!? For how much? My buddy was looking into buying one. He just told me yesterday

I thought you already got the compressor wired up? Or is it just sitting in the trunk to look cool? If thats the case, then it looks pretty cool haha
compressor is wired up but can only be turned on from the rear. i wanna be able to turn it on from the front where my zombie light and elocker switch is at
Old 07-23-2012, 09:36 PM

O yea i forgot about the zombie switches. Those are sweet! Sounds like a project in process or gonna start processing
Old 07-23-2012, 10:52 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Really nice ride, now I have to go back and read more of your build.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:18 PM

Thanks guys. So I got most f the wiring down. I used an old set of jumper cables running along the passenger side frame. I had to down size the cables at each end to make it work but the jumper cable wire size was overkill anyways. I used a 80amp relay and circuit breaker. Just need to finishing mounting and run the relay wire.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:22 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wowowow! BEEFY! hahaa.... I must have missed what this is all about.... Have to make time and read back, lol.

Just stopping in cuz I'm currently in foot agony, can't get nothing much done and needed some motivation from one of my fav's on here, "Ole Sexy Flexy Blanca"

Looks VERY sick, Toyo.... now I have to figure out what it is! haha.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:09 PM

seeing other peoples build threads has motivated me to where i am today

finally got it all wired up and im super pleased to be able to turn on my compressor while driving. i like this feature because i like to charge the tank in advance before im back at the trail head to air back up. if i find the time, i wanna run air hoses in or around the frame to each tire so i have an air plug in at each tire or maybe do just each side in the middle. this will keep me from having to open the rear window for anything. i like to be lazy after a trail run.

since i ran new wires for the compressor, the old wires for the compressor was still there so i decided to use that for my inverter i had for a while. the old wires was much smaller gauge but should be enough for the inverter since i just use it to charge my cell phone and run small stuff. i also didnt wanna do anymore switches so i tied the inverter in with my compressor. when i hit the switch up front for the compressor it will power the inverter as well. it wont be a problem since both are at the rear and if i only need the inverter, the compressor switch is right there, i can kill the compressor but still have my inverter on. anyways, enough talk, some pictures..

its ALIVE

Last edited by ToyoTech559; 07-25-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:40 PM

jumper cables for wires huh, where on earth did you get that idea?
Old 07-25-2012, 10:48 PM

jumper cables for wires huh, where on earth did you get that idea?

well i had two sets but didnt know how i was gonna run it. you gave me the idea to run it on the outside and bam i did it lol. now remember when i couldnt charge my iphone on the solar panel or inverter. ended up being my cable wasnt working. i got a new one and it all works.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:49 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Very nice. I use my OBA more then i ever thought i would. If you are going to run lines outside the truck, i notice i only use one. I have a line in the front and one in the back, maybe the middle isn't bad, but i have a small 20ft hose, and once it is hooked up tpo one end or the other, i don't unplug it until i'm finished. I guess what i am saying is this, run at least two lines, i haven't seemed to wish i had more lines...well yet.
And turning on the compressor while driving is wonderful, not to mentyion i can fill my other vehicle tires in my driveway without having to jockey cars to get closer to my shop compressor in the back yard. I also carry a airline blower thingy, its nice to blow off after you been crawling arond on the dust trail, or field repair....you'll find more uses i'm sure.
While the compressor isn't too loud, i am glad i mounted mine in the trunk, drawback is i am afraid it may get too hot while working at 100%, so i need to install some type of air flow to keep things cooler.

keep it up
Old 07-26-2012, 05:15 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
just a heads-up on that solenoid you installed:
i have the exact same one. after a long while, they tend to stick sometimes. you may have to flip the switch on and off a few times to get it to un-stick (i do) and work normally.

looks good. i need to get my "on-board" air finished up. i like the switch panel, too...
Old 07-26-2012, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by RBX
Very nice. I use my OBA more then i ever thought i would. If you are going to run lines outside the truck, i notice i only use one. I have a line in the front and one in the back, maybe the middle isn't bad, but i have a small 20ft hose, and once it is hooked up tpo one end or the other, i don't unplug it until i'm finished. I guess what i am saying is this, run at least two lines, i haven't seemed to wish i had more lines...well yet.
And turning on the compressor while driving is wonderful, not to mentyion i can fill my other vehicle tires in my driveway without having to jockey cars to get closer to my shop compressor in the back yard. I also carry a airline blower thingy, its nice to blow off after you been crawling arond on the dust trail, or field repair....you'll find more uses i'm sure.
While the compressor isn't too loud, i am glad i mounted mine in the trunk, drawback is i am afraid it may get too hot while working at 100%, so i need to install some type of air flow to keep things cooler.

keep it up
goal was to flip switch, walk out with my one air hose and plug in near the frame to air up. i hate opening the rear window because it collects tons of sand there after a trail run for me. the compressor is mounted openly in the trunk and considering, i have see a few mounted under the hood with no reports of any issues. i think me and you will be fine lol
i was gonna run one line to the outside that splits into 4 to each tire but than i was like i might just split it into two, one to each side near the sliders. that way i just use a separate air hose to plug in and fill the tires up. the blow gun attachment is nice, lucky for me, the air nozzle to fill the tires up can be used as a blower, i just press the clip the other way and it shoots air out. it definitely comes in handy to air my tail gate and me off. i dont use the baby compressor for anything other than when im on the trail. i use the garage big 33 gallon compressor with a super long hose for stuff around the garage.

Originally Posted by irab88
just a heads-up on that solenoid you installed:
i have the exact same one. after a long while, they tend to stick sometimes. you may have to flip the switch on and off a few times to get it to un-stick (i do) and work normally.

looks good. i need to get my "on-board" air finished up. i like the switch panel, too...

aww, dont tell me that. looks like i need to buy another relay for a back up or make a jumper cable to by pass the relay if it fails
i love the switch panel, i wanna do another set of three but havent found a clean factory looking place to install it.
wanna add rock light switch, inverter switch, and and havent found a 3rd yet but man, so much wiring, switch to relay, relay to battery and component. these older runners/trucks dont leave much room under any of the panels since they are compact trucks, compared to what im used to working on at work, i could run 4 gauge wires under the door sill panel easy

not much update, waiting on some axle shims. need to strip most the interior for deep cleaning and order some nice front and rear seat covers

Quick Reply: ToyoTech559's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread