86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

ToyoTech559's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
went up to Bald on the 7th for the best seats in the house for the fireworks at Shaver Lake way down below. Went up there with "THEMAN" so glad he came cuz i had so much fun. btw thanks again for the supplies. gonna put them to use for sure!!
red runner belongs to "THEMAN" as well as most the photos since he had a better camera

my dog was beat when we got up to the top

last year photo of this was a hit so im hoping to keep doing them year after year

scored an awesome spot too

a group of FJC was up there. which was awesome because i never see them on the trails

last year was a ton of jeeps and this year was more yota. i had a huge smile on my face when i rolled up and say yota after yota and not heeps lol

i bet the ranger took the easy way up and down haha

this was a sick TACO. all his lights was HID and lite up the night

this picture was one of my fav

this was more than 30 degrees on the meter

Old 07-09-2012, 06:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I LOVE the pics! I wanna get out of this state SO BAD and go somewhere I can do stuff like that!
Old 07-09-2012, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
i been looking at fiberglass fenders but havent seen any on a runner. mainly on trucks. not sure if i will like the glass fenders. i dont DD this so i havent been pulled over plus i have mud flaps that cover i think 50% of the tire lol

yup. i need to get a better skid lol. oh text me the photo you took from your phone
on its way
Old 07-09-2012, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Zelephant
I LOVE the pics! I wanna get out of this state SO BAD and go somewhere I can do stuff like that!
i was complaining about how hot its gonna be this entire week. triple digits and wanting to move. but than i was like, i live within hours of all the coolest trails

Originally Posted by THEMAN
on its way
looks steeper in this picture haha thanks

Old 07-09-2012, 07:22 PM

Great pictures!
Old 07-09-2012, 07:24 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
SWEET PICS! Wow, great trip, Toyo Rigs lookin sick! Wish I was closer, I'd love to have joined ya(I probably would have had to take a couple easier routes, but still would have had fun! hahahaha.

Thanks for posting, GREAT!
Old 07-09-2012, 09:06 PM

Nice location, I however got paid to watch fireworks in the nations Capitol...lol
Old 07-10-2012, 08:07 AM

Cool mot Invited. Haha jk look like fun. Do t really know if you looked scared or happy in tht last picture. Dam phone...pictures are so small hahaha
Old 07-10-2012, 09:19 AM

Received 307 Likes on 211 Posts
Nice pics! That looks like a pretty killer spot to watch fireworks...
Old 07-10-2012, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by sc87yota
Great pictures!
thanks

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
SWEET PICS! Wow, great trip, Toyo Rigs lookin sick! Wish I was closer, I'd love to have joined ya(I probably would have had to take a couple easier routes, but still would have had fun! hahahaha.

Thanks for posting, GREAT!
you wouldnt need to take any of the easier routes. Bald Mt is pretty easy trail lol. i done it all stock with sagging rear end on 32s with no problems before

Originally Posted by RMP8080
Nice location, I however got paid to watch fireworks in the nations Capitol...lol
must be nice, i wish i get paid to watch fireworks cuz i love them

Originally Posted by vang_22re
Cool mot Invited. Haha jk look like fun. Do t really know if you looked scared or happy in tht last picture. Dam phone...pictures are so small hahaha
sorry it was a really last minute trip. do you have facebook? if so like NOLB 4x4. you will see when trail runs are. i happen to post this trip up last minute so only two rigs went

Originally Posted by rattlewagon
Nice pics! That looks like a pretty killer spot to watch fireworks...
it is. i plan on doing this every year now. this was my 2nd year and since it was further away from the 4th, not a lot of people went up *mostly jeeps lol*
Old 07-10-2012, 08:16 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Ditto, awesome pics of the fireworks! Pretty cool seeing them explode from ABOVE.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Grego92
Ditto, awesome pics of the fireworks! Pretty cool seeing them explode from ABOVE.
Haha I know I was telling my gf while we where there how cool it is to see it from above the fireworks. Normal we are below it. Easy on the neck since we just had to look out and not up
Old 07-10-2012, 09:46 PM

Deep in a unground bunker, oh from a undisclosed location on the roof of an unknown gov't building, a land far far away anyone reality.........fireworks

Name:  CIMG0156.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  35.0 KB
Old 07-10-2012, 10:27 PM

Haha naaa no facebook. Im not cool enough for that altough everyone i know has it. I got to get my truck fix anyways. Still driving it with a rod/main bearing knocking? But hasnt seem to get any worst so imajudt drive it and see whats gonna happen haha
Old 07-14-2012, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by RMP8080
Deep in a unground bunker, oh from a undisclosed location on the roof of an unknown gov't building, a land far far away anyone reality.........fireworks
haha thats nice. i love fireworks. too bad only the ground ones are legal for purchase...

Originally Posted by vang_22re
Haha naaa no facebook. Im not cool enough for that altough everyone i know has it. I got to get my truck fix anyways. Still driving it with a rod/main bearing knocking? But hasnt seem to get any worst so imajudt drive it and see whats gonna happen haha
haha its all good. well, hope you get the noise fixed asap. so you dont say i didnt invite. next trip : August 5th @ Brewer Lake
Old 07-14-2012, 11:24 PM

Blazeland Long Travel Initial Review:

I havent logged alot of miles on the new set up but i wanna get a review out:
1st i like to say that my previous suspension set up rode really good. most people that install this LT kit say its amazing and im sure it is compared to their previous tired 20+ year old suspension. i cant say that about mine since my suspension upgrade was progressive. went from stock to bj spacer and ome shocks to blazeland LT. as you can see i didnt make any huge jumps. i was already happy with my previous set up and going LT was mainly for more travel. on the road it rides great. little bumps and what not can be felt but this could be due to old steering rods - old ball joints and/or energy suspension body mounts. in town its a little better than my old setup. one thing i did notice is that at speeds thru speed bumps the LT took it all up and i felt nothing compared to my BJ Spacer set up. the rear end remained the same and i can feel the rear end jump up and felt more while the front was smooth as butter. i may need to upgrade the rear shocks or complete redo it but that will be for another post/day. prior to going LT i was already running no sway bars and now that i have LT, it seems to sway the same maybe a little less. it wasnt that much of a difference. i am using stock torsion bars so i did have to crank them up compared to before where it was left alone since the BJ gave me the lift. the LT required more cranking to level me back up to where i was before, but i did go just a little higher since the front was lower than the rear before i didnt wanna touch the torsion bars than. was hoping to have a heavy rear bumper done to bring the rear end down but now i have LT so i will adjust accordingly once i get it all done

On the trails: i was able to smash thru this road to the trail head i have done a million times and i have to say with the LT it was better, you still feel the bumps but than again i was able to go twice as fast. if i was going as fast as i used to, im sure the LT would be better. the truck took all the bumps. on the rocks, the extended travel is awesome. i noticed that the truck stayed much level when rock crawling. i had no problems and each trip i take, i tend to do more and more stuff i didnt before since each trip i have done something new and it gets tested.

overall i love the LT i just need to work on the rear a little but im still happy. again its really hard for me to review this since its not my Daily Driver and at work i drive so many stock 2005+ cars, suv, and trucks that ride so much nicer and im more used to, to say that the LT made the runner ride like a Mercedes but it doesn't, not that it should since it is at toy and i use to for off road fun. i need to jump into someones stock 88 runner v6 to better give you guys a review but anyone that has a stock suspension and looking to upgrade without going SA, Blazeland LT kit is well worth it. plus it just looks SICK.
you guys also need to note that i have a V6 plus a heavy ARB bumper and winch installed up front on stock torsion bars which imo is best if you want alot of flex. im not into the high speed desert stuff so i cant comment on that since the rest of my suspension is not set up for that. my unique set up allows me to have a little of everything from high speed fireroads/sand dunes to slow speed rock crawling with tons of flex from a LT IFS. plus i tow a 8x10 trailer with a quad so i cant just throw on some deavers since most high speed super flexy rear springs are not made for towing.
this is it for now and will update if anything changes as i get more seat time

Last edited by ToyoTech559; 07-15-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:50 PM

Great update, Toyo!! Those last pics were great, and it LOOKS to have far more travel/fun-zone factor! hahaha. However; HEARING how it rides, in detail, gives a LOT more to consider/review....

Thanks for taking the time to lay it all out. Rides looking sicker than ever.... and I DON'T mean 'the sniffles!' haha.

<<< They don't have a "Two Thumbs Up" smiley just yet... So I just did a double one lol.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Great update, Toyo!! Those last pics were great, and it LOOKS to have far more travel/fun-zone factor! hahaha. However; HEARING how it rides, in detail, gives a LOT more to consider/review....

Thanks for taking the time to lay it all out. Rides looking sicker than ever.... and I DON'T mean 'the sniffles!' haha.

<<< They don't have a "Two Thumbs Up" smiley just yet... So I just did a double one lol.
thanks. for what i get it was well worth it. i just need to finish out the under armor and get a rear bumper built. than i should be done as far as the big stuff. than i can work on the little stuff when i can while i look into building up the 82 i have parked

so i spent 4 hours yesterday washing, water spot removal, spray on quick detailer, polishing, and waxing. i think it came out pretty good

heres a picture of the front end at full

after going on the trails a few times in the dark. i have to say its very fun and even tho i been on that same trail a billion times, at night i have gotten lost lol coworker hooked me up with 3 pairs *6 total* fog lights. i just got the front installed, just need to do the wiring. not sure how i wanna do the other 4 lights since i wanna install two in the rear custom bumper

ROCK LIGHTS!!

Old 07-15-2012, 02:48 PM

OOOH, looks great! And ROCK LIGHTS, too? Stop it! hahaha.. JK, looks great!

I've entertained that LT kit for a while... But WOW, ... just wish it was FREEEEEEEE!(as the mattress guy says? hehehe).

Seriously, looking too, man
Old 07-15-2012, 05:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Which CVs did you get and from where? How much where they?

Looks great!

Quick Reply: ToyoTech559's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread