86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 Truck Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks dsal 86Yota...It is good to be back. I wanted something a little diferent.

I did get the starter swapped out. It looks to be a new one but it is an off brand starter and I had to keep tapping on it to get to working. I had a factory starter so got it swapped and think I got my starting issue fixed.

While swapping it out, a PO had used a female electrical clip instead of the factory brown clip. I had an old harness and spliced it in right. Also fixed some other pee poor wiring they had done under the hood. I noticed they have the horn wired up and it is a poor job also. Something I will fix at a later time.

Didnt get quite as much as I was hoping for but got the shop all straightend out so I can bring the runner back home as soon as I get the chance.

Windshield wont pass inspection, still have to get a CV shaft installed and the wiring to the tail lights to get it on the road. I will have a day or two next week but the week after that week, I am hoping to fly thru some of my projects. Just got to get the time freed up. Grrr!!!
Old 07-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I think I am going to be able to get sometime on the truck this week and next week. I got half of the front shaft out as it was broken in two pieces. Appernetly it had been broken for a while as it was dry on grease and showed signs of rust on the broken piece.

The cone washers took a while to get out, but slow and steady they finally came off. Not sure if I will be getting the 85 parts truck this week, but if so, I will lose a day for that. The heat slows things down a little also. I am expecting this truck to look and run alot different in 2 weeks. That is my goal. I have been using the familys 01 runner and it is hard on fuel and the wifey would like her runner back. I am ready to have my own truck again as well. Also have plans to get my runner back home this week or next week.

Old busted shaft.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Several threads I want to get caught up on, just been a little tied up on a few things.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glad to see you got that shaft out buddy, I know you really want to get moveing on this thing knowing you it will be like new in a month.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Jason..I got part of it out. I am trying to figure out how to get the rest of the shaft to clear the shock mount and come completely out. According to the manual it should come on out. I am not having any luck. Am thinking of taking a ball joint out and letting it drop even further to get the room I need.

Here is the problem I am having. It is at full drop and the front half of the shaft wont clear the lower control arm.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I did get something done. I pulled the locking hubs and got them cleaned up and looking alot better. They were rusted on the out side and a PO had banged on the hubs trying to get the cone washers out. It was knicked up in a few places so I just took a file and got them smoothed out again. They look and operate a hundered times better now.

When taking them apart make sure to keep an eye out for the little spring and ball bearing in the red center piece.

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-14-2014 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice work on the hubs, they turned out really good Terry! That's a funny coincidence, because yesterday I was cleaning up and painting a set of ifs aisin hubs (left over from doing my SAS) to sell on CL, lol.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:54 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Just stoppin by one of my fav member's threads! hahaha.... SUP TERRY?

Great work tearing that down/getting the hubs retricked! Gonna follow your input and get mine done as well. I'm probably gonna be doing just the boots, ... as I have OEM shafts that I don't think have any issues(Guess I'll find out as I dig in there, eh? Lol)
Old 07-18-2012, 08:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
terry, is the silver painted on that hub or is that the aluminum just polished?
Old 07-19-2012, 01:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just spent a while getting caught up on both your builds, Terry. It's hard to keep track of all the irons you have in the fire! If I'm reading this correctly, you're currently working on three trucks: two stepside PUs (one Downey stepside bed and one stepside off the '84), and your '86 4Runner. One truck is going to your brother and one is replacing the 2wd flatbed you sold. Your truck will be getting the split three-spoke wheels off the '84. Did I get all that right?

I really like the look of the stepsides, though. You don't see it done on these trucks often, and even less often done well.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terry, nice work in the hubs.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:20 PM

Terry... GET BACK HERE, DAGNABBIT~! hahaha... Got a couple questions for ya on something... When I know you're around I'll PM'ya!

Hope you're ok, not shriveling up in the heat! haha.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Nice work on the hubs, they turned out really good Terry! That's a funny coincidence, because yesterday I was cleaning up and painting a set of ifs aisin hubs (left over from doing my SAS) to sell on CL, lol.
Hello Ed..My wife see how they turned out and now she wants hers done. Really wasnt to bad to do at all. So will be gettng hers done here in the near future.

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
terry, is the silver painted on that hub or is that the aluminum just polished?
Hello Cyberhorn..I used Never Dull. It comes in a can with wadding that is soaked in some kind of cleaner. These hubs were rusty. It took a fair amount of time of getting clean. I was surprised at how bad they were to what they looked like when done.

Originally Posted by RMP8080
Terry, nice work in the hubs.
Thanks Bill, with what all has been going on, I really wanted to get something done. Been tied up with a tooth problem and got the chance to do something and took advantage of it.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Terry... GET BACK HERE, DAGNABBIT~! hahaha... Got a couple questions for ya on something... When I know you're around I'll PM'ya!

Hope you're ok, not shriveling up in the heat! haha.
Hello Mark..PM away.. lol..I have been stuck in the air conditoning,grrr. This week sure hasnt been what I had planned for, but am hoping to get back at it soon. I can take the heat, it is the cold that I cant handle. I can put a fan on me and it works great. But it is hot. Winter will be here soon and am wanting to get quite a bit done before then as there are some things that cant be done when cold.

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-20-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by Zelephant
Just spent a while getting caught up on both your builds, Terry. It's hard to keep track of all the irons you have in the fire! If I'm reading this correctly, you're currently working on three trucks: two stepside PUs (one Downey stepside bed and one stepside off the '84), and your '86 4Runner. One truck is going to your brother and one is replacing the 2wd flatbed you sold. Your truck will be getting the split three-spoke wheels off the '84. Did I get all that right?

I really like the look of the stepsides, though. You don't see it done on these trucks often, and even less often done well.
Hello Zelephant.. I will be having 3 projects going on soon, but two should finish up quickly excpt for small things or waiting to get the funds or time work on them.

My 86 Runner just needs paint, carpet,and put back together. I still have alot of small things to do to it but all of the big things are just about done. Getting the seats reupholtered will be a hold up, but to be on the road and looking good, it is almost there. Just got to gett he time to get back from my dads house.

My 88 pickup needs me to finish the front shaft, tail light wiring, and paint. I will be ordering carpet soon and got to find a nice set of bucket of seats. It isnt to far from being done.

The 84 pickup short narrowbed is one I bought to fix and sell to help fund my projects. I took the wheels, bull bar and SR5 guage. The wheels and SR5 guage are on my pickup now and the bull bar will be going on Mistys truck soon. My brother seen the 84 and has always liked a short narrow bed and wanted to drive it. I let him and it rides nice, which for a solid axle, we were both surprised.

He said he wanted to buy it and wanted me to fix it up for him. He is wanting it done up like I have done my other trucks. The frame has been plated in several areas and I will be doing a frame swap on it in a few months as I have a spare 87 frame. When I get the replacement frame all ready to go, I can swap a frame in about a day or so. He is liking the truck the more that he drives it and is really after me to get it restored up for him. He wants it to be a sharp truck when it is done. Believe me, if I could of had it done yesterday, it wouldnt be soon enough for him. He keeps saying what a great truck it is now and cant wait for me to get it fixed the way I have done my other trucks. He has the funds to do it and knows what I have done in the past so he is anxious to get done. It will be nice to work on a project and not having to fund it myself. I am looking forward to doing it. Just got to get everything else to settle down around here.

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-20-2012 at 04:06 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:19 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

9 months a go I had a tooth pulled and everything seemed fine. This past weekend I had to go to the emergency room as I was in som real pain and wasnt right. I hve basically had a dry socket that didnt cause any problems from that tooth getting pulled and it got infected and just caused all sorts of problems.

All of the oral surgeons are booked up so had to go 100 plus miles just to find a surgeon to look at it. So have been spending alot of time trying to get this fixed. Got to get the infection out and waiting on the insurance approval to have the surgery. They said they cover it, but got to go thru the steps of approval.

We put the kiddos on a one week adoption plan with the grandparents. Mom said she wanted them for a week and if it would be alright, I said ummm?? YEAH!!! lol

I was able to get out of the house for a day between doctor and everything else that has been going on, and wife, me and the dog went to the lake. Had a nice time out. Dog did well for his first time on the boat.

He figured out how to relax fast but isnt much of a fan on swimming.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That's cool that your wife likes the hubs and wants hers done, Id like to get my wife a 4 runner project down the road, but she doesn't seem too interested, hoping if I just got it for and fixed it up for her, maybe she would be more interested, lol. Just a side note on the ifs hubs, I was looking on eBay to get an idea of what price people were selling them for. They are going for between $99-$160 ($160 were cleaned up and painted, $99 were "as is". I saw sa versions going for as high as $250! Kinda surprised me they sell in that price range, lol, just thought I'd share.

Sounds like you had a fun and relaxing time out on the lake! Hope everything goes well with your tooth, I know from past experiences when you're having bad tooth pain,it seems like you can never get it taken care of fast enough, and it always seems like they make you wait one way or another!

Last edited by rustED; 07-20-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Ed..I hadnt realized the hubs were that high. They go for about $50 around here. I try to get them when I can, someone is always needing a set. I think I have another set and I am going to eventually clean all of mine up and put the best ones on and keep my spare for an emergency.

It helps that the wife likes her runner and understands that I do enjoy working on these trucks. Always look forward to seeing it go from the junk it is and hopefully to the idea that I have in my head as to how I would like for it to look when done. I get side tracked on some of the things she wants done, but it pays off in the long run.

I do see alot of guys that would like to do projects and cant because the wife doesnt approve. I gave my father in law a 90% completed 64 Chevy truck as I wouldnt be able to get the money out that I had into it and his wife wont let him finish it. I could only imagine the frustration of that. Keeping one on a tight budget helps too. I would like to do all of the million dollar upgrades, but that would be the end of my projects too.lol
Old 07-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got some shop time in. Starting to get hot so will have to call it a day for now. Also I need to get the 54mm (? I think is the size) socket to set the locking nut and adjusting nut on the axle. Took a shaft from the 87 that I stripped down and cleaned it up. It was messy, but I use a drill and wire brush and got it cleaned up really well.

The shaft is in and waiting to get the socket. Also need to get the link that connects sway bar to the lower control arm. I had to replace the upper ball joint to get the room I needed to get the shaft in and out. I am sure there is a better way of doing it, but was unable to find it. I had to replace the upper ball joint as I ripped the boot trying to seperate it.

Its getting there. Did a little cleaning and painting while under there.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:56 AM

WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! haha. Nice work, man.... WOW, really is very little rust under that one from what I can see! I know, you painted and cleaned it up a lil.... but some of them are 'HOLY'..... more like 'HOLEY' they're so bad! lol.

I too am so happy for you being able to get away... Made my day seeing that pic on the boat with the pupper! GORGEOUS K9 btw!
Old 07-20-2012, 02:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
looks remarkable terry, they sell the end links for the stabilizer bars on ebay with bushings (polyurethane) pretty cheap but from all the threads ive read of yours im waiting for you to pop one out of the magic parts box! :-D just Joshin ya i know you do a lot of work raiding the bone yards for parts

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 Truck Build