Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 02:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
I LOVE these! >>>>

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/...r/DSC00013.jpg

Yeah, too much for a pick up.. wrong 'message'..... >>>>

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...mb=e5N1eOhU/We

I think the 80's Tail lights will look SICK if you mount them right.... In a lil housing, right up on the bed? Or on the fender some how? But you have around 3,000,000 options with 'bumper mounted taillights'.... I think they look cool cuz it's like they're floating..

MEH, anyway, I'm just thinking out loud, haha... CAN'T WAIT to see more pics of this beauty, Terry!
like the tear drops mark they'd look good on her
Old 10-25-2012, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks Mark and Cyberhorn....I think some of them lights will look good. We have a store that sells alot of them and see what would go best with it.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got a few pics of it all together. The front end is a little dusty from the cover I had on it. I liked how most of it turned out and it does have some flaws. I gave it my best and still have a few flaws, but it still looks alot better so will be happy with it.

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-12-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:58 PM

lookin good
Old 10-26-2012, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Cyberhorn...Im still chugging along. Figure every piece done is one step closer.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got alot of small things done. Had to switch fuel hoses and was a bigger job then I actually thought it would be. Everything was just frozen up. Got the inner fenders in, side mirrors on, alot of over spray recoated, windshield cowl, wipers, front bumper and marker lights. Also got some new gear oil in the rear end when I had to seitch third members. Still need to get this one and my runner some antifreeze in them as we are going to drop below freezing. Did get my end caps painted as well for my runner.

Dont like it but it will work for now until I can come up with a nicer cap or filler assembly.

Got bumper and side marker lights on, windshield wipers and mirrors which are now on even though they werent when taking the picture. Bumper needs replaced but this one will work for now.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:46 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, what a great looking lil stepside shorty! FANTASTIC, Terry!
Old 10-26-2012, 10:15 AM

Terry, how about a round RING piece of diamond plating(Like a PORTION of the kits you find at pep boys that have the gas door and ring in polished or black diamond plating? a Circle or Square style, whichever would fit, shaved on that corner of the fender lip, to fit) You could drill out a couple matching holes there for counter sunk stainless machine nuts and then sleeve the inner part in some Garage Door seal where the pipe slides through the hole(it's angled around 60 degrees and tapered from 1/2" down to around 3/16 on the other end/soft closed cell foam/... It's like a 'wedge sealer that's pretty attractive').... Just make a circle with it and let the outer portion of the semi-right angle sit up against the pipe, sealing it all the way around, but allowing it to have some play/slack still(Make the seam where you join it together be on the bottom)... it's only 7$ or so for 9' of it and has MANY uses, including where I was going to, ''inside where the panel doors go, on the back, as a seal/stopper from the door caving in past closed". Then just get a NICE, locking gas cap and call it Susie-Q'd! hehehe. Sorry, just like thinking 'pretty' solutions out to this kinda stuff.. Probably wouldn't work with the angles you have. BUT, might be cheaper than the OEM set up on Ebay or something. Maybe find a junked Chevy Luv GAS DOOR ASSEMBLY would be easier/cheaper? My way would cost you around 20$ at Pep Boys and Home Depot. ????
Old 10-28-2012, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Mark... It has came along way since I first got it. We have been thinking of a diamond or chrome round plate for the filler neck. I would like to add a gas door flap but that is beyond my ability.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

This project is about to slow way down for awhile. Still need to do the interior, but it will have to wait for a bit until he can get the funds up and get a few things wrapped up before he puts any more into it. It needs tires, shocks and other things to make it more road worthy.

I am working on the tailgate and later this week we are going to get warmer weather so will get it painted then. A PO put in a 3rd brake light and I dont have a way of really patching up the hole in the roof so I am getting it ready for paint as well.

After this, my painting is done til spring time. I already have two trucks to paint. I still am not sure which way I am going to go with my 85 Extra cab as to where it will be white or something else, I still need to come up with a build plan for it. It is going to be my winter project and I will be doing a motor for it and getting everything ready for spring time.

Also a friend of mine as an identical to my 85, an 86 Extra cab that has a gray interior that he wants me to repaint for him.

I painted 3 trucks this year and brought my confidence up alot. My 86 Runner, the 88 pickup and helped Jason on his. I think I have figured out the problem on clear coat. On the 88 and Jasons, the tempertures were cooler and the clear coat laid down alot smoother, on my 86 Runner, I have a lot more orange peel to work out and I did it at a warmer part of the year. Live and learn, nothing that cant be fixed with a little elbow grease and sanding paper.

Bumper on.

Tailgate should be ready when we get some warmer days here soon. Then I am on to my runner as to where I really want to be. Truck is turning out great and would of been one that I would of kept had I not gotten my Extra cab.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:12 PM

again lookin good terry bumper looks awesome the extra bolts dont look extra they lookfactory
Old 10-28-2012, 12:37 PM

DANG YOU AND YOUR GARAGE FULL OF WHITE CLASSIC TOYS! hahahahaha. JK, obviously. Nice work..... I don't get that thingy on the tailgate. 3rd brake?

BTW, ... someone I know who has 2 stepside classic yotas(82 and 83).... told me, "Why not put some REALLY NICE Trailer brake and signal lights on there? That's what I did on my 82. The OEM were destroyed... and WOW, what a hunt for nothing! lol. Tell him to look at the higher end Trailer Supply stuff's stores and see if he finds one he likes... They even make designs that LOOK classic/really smooth lines and they're often 'submerge-able' too, for extra waterproof points " Ok, hehe... he didn't do a thumbs up/wink at ya... but proverbially, he did just that! lol.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:35 PM

Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts

Sitting here waiting for the hurricane, watching a Steve McQueen movie which makes me think of Cobras, which makes me think of Cobra gas caps. Huge image courtesy of eBay.

For the rear lights, I'm with Cyber. Round like old Chevy Apaches. You could get the same look from LED trailer lights and not have to cut the fenders. I love the teardrop lights but IMO they look better on an early 50's coupe or old VW.

These are 55-59 Chevrolet Step Side $35 each:
Old 10-29-2012, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Nervo...Stay safe and hope all goes well for what it can for the situation that is to happen today. Got you east coast guys in thoughts and prayers and hopefully no major property damage as well. I know you just got done doing some repairs awhile back and maybe this will go a little better this time.

Just doing a quick check in. Hoping to do some updates later. Thanks Mark and Cyberhorn.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:36 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
again lookin good terry bumper looks awesome the extra bolts dont look extra they lookfactory
Thanks William... Seen your name somewhere on another thread. That what I am hoping others might think that they are stock. Keeps me from losing them anyways.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
DANG YOU AND YOUR GARAGE FULL OF WHITE CLASSIC TOYS! hahahahaha. JK, obviously. Nice work..... I don't get that thingy on the tailgate. 3rd brake?

BTW, ... someone I know who has 2 stepside classic yotas(82 and 83).... told me, "Why not put some REALLY NICE Trailer brake and signal lights on there? That's what I did on my 82. The OEM were destroyed... and WOW, what a hunt for nothing! lol. Tell him to look at the higher end Trailer Supply stuff's stores and see if he finds one he likes... They even make designs that LOOK classic/really smooth lines and they're often 'submerge-able' too, for extra waterproof points " Ok, hehe... he didn't do a thumbs up/wink at ya... but proverbially, he did just that! lol.
Hello Mark... That is the 3rd brake light that a PO installed. It has a big hole in the top of the cab, so I will be reinstalling it just to fill the hole. I will eventually get it working with the brake lights.

On the tail lights I work about 2 miles from Chrome Shop Mafia and they have a wide selection. Nervo posted some good leads as well.

The 85 Extra cab is going to get started on this winter. I NEEED a truck and since I sold my flatbed, and this project is going to slow down, it will start moving up the list.

Hello Nervo.. Seen you had logged in recently so am guessing you guys have power. Sounds like everything went north of you. Hope family and property came out well.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

The pickup is getting its eviction notice today. Steve is going to come get it later today and will put some temporary lights on it and start driving it. When he gets the funds up, I will be doing the interior and other upgrades that he wants to do to it.

I was going to build it for myself and then after getting it I got my 85 Extra cab and like the leg room better then a standard cab. I am 6 feet tall. I like the fact the 85 is a rarer truck and not having a truck around here has been a pain in the rear since selling my flatbed. It looks good in the pictures but it is actually in bad shape. Body and frame are excellent with a little rust in the bed. But everything else has been butcherd by the PO and was used as a parts truck.

Got to get the wiring back to orginal, the dash had an 89-95 dash in that was poorly installed and the paint was not done right at all. It wont cost to much to get it to stock condition as I have everything I need to get it running again. I will be holding off on it until later this winter and will start on the motor here in another month or so. I am just going to keep it as a nice stocker. My 86 Runner is where I will be putting the funds in.

Got my eyes on a couple of 2 wheel drive trucks that I want to buy and sell and use to help fund my 86 runner and the 85 truck. One of the trucks I have a found that I am hoping the owner will sell is a 2 wheel drive extra cab. Been sitting awhile and has a big dent in the rear of the cab. It would make a quick fix and sell. Really a nice truck. Hoping to hear from the owner soon on it.

Here will be my winter project and hope to have it ready for paint this spring. Wont start on it for a couple of more months yet. I have it posted at the end of my 88Runner build for now.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I was asked about my short beds recently so I will post some info on a build that wont happen for a couple of years from now, still getting parts. I have done frame swaps and just about everyting to different trucks that there is to do on tearing one down and building back up, but never on the same truck. My 86 Runner has been about the closest to a complete tear down but not completely all the way down.

I want it to be as new as possible when done. I had my runner down this far in the dash. Still havent decided if I want 22r or 22re. I have a 22re harness so that may be the way that I go.

I have always wanted to build one from the ground up to as new as possible. I have seen it done several times on TV, Websites and other sources, I now have the confidence and most of the parts to do it. Still need a rear end,fenders,bumpers, and a few interior parts.

This will be a slow build and like I said it will be a year or so off as I want to finish my 86 Runner and 85 Pickup. I wont get in no hurry as I have plans on stripping the cab even further down then what it is now and want everything rebuilt. Frame is going to get stripped down as well. I will use my Downey bed for this build.

This will be my 20th truck that I have owned and out of those 20, I have only had to part 3 of them as they were wrecked, rusted frame, or both.

I am trading Jason an 84 cab and frame for his cab. The frame on the 84 has been plated well but it is plated from front to back. It will make a great rock crawler and would work for a daily driver but is not something I would want to put on the road. Wouldnt want someone getting hurt. I dont really have any place close to wheel and not having a tow rig and trailer and my camping and fishing, hard wheeling is out for me. I have done some wheeling in the past and a few people were ready to jump out when riding with me. It was a blast. Being young and single is missed sometimes.

What you think of my new truck...hehe

Frame and doors to left of runner.

Bed
Old 11-02-2012, 11:55 AM

DUDE, THAT NEW TRUCK IS SICK!!!!!!! hahahaha. Wow, what a cool pick of your projects side by side... Heck, project and AWESOME possessions, more like it!

Nice work, man... keep at it.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:06 PM

this aught to be quite the interesting build to watch
Old 11-14-2012, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yota build

I'm attempting to rebuild my 87 RE excab but shes fightin me. Pls help!

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 Truck Build