86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 Truck Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello nmtoy.. I think it will make a sharp looking little truck if and when I ever get it done.lol. Hopefully it wont be much longer, I have been making some slow progress today. Cant believe it has taken me this long today for what seems like very little accomplished.

Hello Cyberhorn.. Fiberglassing hasnt been so bad so far. I just did the rip. I was able to get it really shallow and then put body filler over it and really happy how it turned out. I think it will be a good, strong fix.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Doesnt look like much, but getting the fenders smooth has taken alot of time. Did get the backglass in, tailgate stripped of the garbage hook ups it had, and the fenders nearly smooth. I am still hoping to paint tomorrow but dont see the tailgate getting painted, but even painting is still up in the air. Still hoping.

It is in alot more primer now then what is showing. It is getting closer.

Last edited by Terrys87; 10-11-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:16 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
WOW, ... you ARE Crazy after all! hahaha... JK, but I did NOT like working with Fiberglass on my 67 Chevelle/SS ..... I am unable to say whether nor not it would've gotten more tolerable as I went on and practiced... And, my brother was even worse at it! hahaha. But, in the end, it worked and saved us from a pricey rear lower panel repair at "pinks" or something lol.

SORRY, Terry, that i've not been over here as much, lol... Just decided to REALLY press in on the 'LEARNING' the wiring diagrams and harness works therein, before pulling things out to physically tie them in.

I AM going to do rear panels, just as RAD4Runner is... And I WILL be setting my 10" JL into the Panels I use... I WILL be adding the 3 wire 2nd Gen REAR dome lights into the panels in place of the 'OEM Deck Lamp/s' idea. SO STOKED to have this down, Terry... and I wanted to thank you and Dragon and RAD and Jason and so forth, personally, for always PATIENTLY helping me out. Once I "GET" "IT", whatever "IT" is, I WILL be helpful to others with some good videos, etc., right?
Old 10-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark.. It helps to be a little crazy. It actually wasnt to bad. A new experience for me.

I can understand not making it over on here. I been having a tough time keeping up with my thread myself and on others. I try to welcome the new builds and that has been tough to do at times.

I will eventually do what you are doing when I get to that point. I marked where you are at to my favorites as it can be diffucult to find on your thread.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Just about to get the bed wrapped up. I have to pick up my new to me bumper tomorrow so depending on what time I have to leave for that and how much I get accomplished depends on if I get to paint. Still need to work on the bed sides and a few small areas. Did get both sides done.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
bed work looks awesome terry!
Old 10-12-2012, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Cyberhorn... It almost looks like somebody knew what they were doing.lol. You cant tell in the picture but there is alotttt of work involved in that.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking good, can't wait for paint....
Old 10-17-2012, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Bill...It is going to get painted next week, one way or the other, just having all of the little pinholes and fine cracks has been holding me up.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have been making some progress on it. Finally got the rear fenders done and the bed rails. Now I just have the bedsides to do and it shouldnt be much longer. Getting the little cracks and pinholes held me up quite a bit and then I had to take a Physcal Test and just about recovered from that. Getting older is for the birds.

I did get the passenger side all bufffed out and Justin wanted to help out so I had him using 40 and 80 grit sandpaper to get the rust off of the inside of the bed. He got alot done and actually did a great job.

I will be heading out to Jasons here in a few hours and if all goes well, his runner will make some big progress. We have had this in the works for awhile, but something always kept coming up. Wanted to work on his last month. We will be stripping the interior out and doing some final sanding/repairing on the body and get it in paint.

While we have the interior out, I will show him how I go about getting the panels painted up and am really hoping to have the panels painted and back in with his new seats. With a new coat of paint on it, it wont even look like the same truck. Really looking forward to getting another runner on the road and looking good. We got our work cut out for us but it will be a great time, and looking forward to how things turn out.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:23 AM

drive/travel safe terry have fun
Old 10-24-2012, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Spent some time on the bed today. If all goes well tomorrow, I am hoping to get it painted if it warms up enough. After tomorrow the weather isnt looking good for sometime, so I spent today getting it as far as I could and just wasnt able to get it painted today. The tail gate wont be getting painted for awhile but can always be done at a later time, it has a lot of work. I am going to try and get this truck done tomorrow and get back on my runner. That is my plans anyways if al works out. Will have an early start.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:44 PM

i can sympathize its 36 here right now an i was out getting a putty knife to fix an upstairs window the glazing an points fell out nearly lost the glass kids room was an icebox the storm windows just arent enough

but i was lookin at my hood gnats landed in the paint an other junk ahh well its only rattle can but it looks shiny! LOL
Old 10-25-2012, 12:03 AM

WTH? hahaha..> how in the heck am I missing all these posts? haha.

X2, bed is looking great! Can't WAIT to see this rollin.. It's just such a unique toy, man!
Old 10-25-2012, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn...Temp dropped 15 degrees right after I finished painiting. I dont care for winter, maybe we will luck out and have a winter like last year.

Hello Mark... My threads should start picking up again here soon. Got alot of house things caught back up and just about got the truck done so I am ready to get back on my runner here soon. I been trying to get caught up on your thread, maybe tonite I will get a chance.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I finally got the bed painted. I still need to do the tailgate and get rear lights mounted. About 30 minutes after I painted, the temp dropped 15 degrees and still going down. Got to it just in time. I took a few more pics, they just didnt turn out. Will let dry and get some more pics later.

The very last 3 inches of the bed I will go back and do some work on it at a later time when I see how the light situation turns out. Still not sure how and where they will be mounted so didnt fix that area. Inside of bed will be Rhino lined.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:02 AM

you should tellyour brother now would be the time to do the LED ovals for taillights used for trucks an trailers

just kidding but they would look great on the truck no holes in the fenders put um in the bumper
Old 10-25-2012, 12:09 PM

HOLY SPARKLING WHITENESS, TERRY-THE-RESTO-MANNNNNNN! hahaha... Looks SICK! WOW!

I really need you to come out here and paint my gold stripes gold again! In fact, ... just repaint the driver side... THAT'S ALL, ..the passenger side is fine! hahaha. (weird, isn't it? I've seen so many like that, that they fade ALWAYS on the driver side, more. Like Toyota forgot the certain coat on that side? haha)

GOTTA tell ya.... as I've said and mean, ... and thought it's the name of a WEIRD movie with Giovanni Ribisi..........It's still the truth, plain and simple........

>>>>>> "I LOVE YOUR WORK!" hahaha.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:10 PM

I agree on the taillights... Something to POP with that VERY UNIQUE rear end would be VERY nice. NOT necessarily Ovals in electric blue, hahah.. BUT, maybe some custom Risen Roundy ones off an old Stepside Chevy or something, with chrome housing?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-25-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:26 PM

I LOVE these! >>>>

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/...r/DSC00013.jpg

Yeah, too much for a pick up.. wrong 'message'..... >>>>

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...mb=e5N1eOhU/We

I think the 80's Tail lights will look SICK if you mount them right.... In a lil housing, right up on the bed? Or on the fender some how? But you have around 3,000,000 options with 'bumper mounted taillights'.... I think they look cool cuz it's like they're floating..

MEH, anyway, I'm just thinking out loud, haha... CAN'T WAIT to see more pics of this beauty, Terry!

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 Truck Build