86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 Truck Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks Ed.. When everything goes right, it is a rewarding and gets the most notice. Getting the bodywork right and prepped is the challenge. It does take patience, and practice. I am hoping this is one truck closer to getting a little better at it.

Thanks Bill..It has a few flaws and it does irk me a little, but I did give it my best so I am quite satisfied at how it turned out. Hope your arm is doing better.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got a few outside pics of it. Both tuck are now in the garage and we have the rain a coming. It has cooled down alot so probably wont get much done today.

Cant wait to get thedoor handles back on. It is a pain openingthe doors without handles. Will be starting on the bed soon.

Wonder if he would notice if I swapped doors, fenders and hood with the 85. He wanted it Toyota Super White 040 as he eventually wants to put some stripes that match his boat. Was wanting to do a metallic on it but guess metallic on white is a 3 stage paint and was expensive, so went with a single base and clear.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:14 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
WOWIE! Nice work, sir!!!!!!! LOVE the white ones, .......as you know! lol.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good!
Old 10-06-2012, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Terry,

That looks great! I too love the white 2nd gens.

Robb
Old 10-07-2012, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
WOWIE! Nice work, sir!!!!!!! LOVE the white ones, .......as you know! lol.
Thanks Mark... In April or so when the weather warms up, a friend of mine wants me to paint his white 86 Extra Cab, nearly identical to my 85 Extra cab only it has gray interior. It only has a few dings in it and he wanting to freshen it up. I am going to start on the body work on my 85 this winter as it looks good, but really has a bad repaint job on it. Still debating on what color to go with it as Steves is white and Mistys is white.

Originally Posted by BigSwole
Looks good!
Thanks BigSwole...Seeing your truck really got me to missing my 91 Extended cab. Mine was in rough shape when I got it and is one I am happy at how well it turned out. Put a set of 2nd gen runner seats in it, paint,motor,clutch,SR5 guage, COLDDD AC and was about as new as I could get it. We have a nice 3rd Gen Runner and my wife and I took the 91 on a long trip instead of the 3rd Gen. Great trip.

A few years ago we had a blizzard and a guy had his Chevy 4x4 in a ditch and no way was I able to pull him out as he was way down a hill and I gave him a ride into town on uncleared roads and he just couldnt believe at how well some of the hills and places we went and I wasnt even worried about getting stuck as it was in some remote areas and it was dangerously cold if we would of had any problems. The confidence I knew that truck had in it was just unreal. Hope this helps on your rebuild. You have a tank on 4 wheels.
One truck I regret selling but was too small for the family. I had it finished about the time I found Yotatech. I will try and see if I have some pictures of it orginal condition and post them in my YT Photo Album.

Originally Posted by nmtoy
Hey Terry,

That looks great! I too love the white 2nd gens.

Robb
Hello Robb.. Glad to see you back and looking forward to seeing you get back on your build. Bet you are glad you had your truck for a backup after your wifes accident. Glad to hear everything is ok now.

Last edited by Terrys87; 10-07-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

We actually had some sleet this morning and it was just cold, rainy and miserable so I didnt get anything done other then getting the bed on. We are to get some warmer weather this week so I am going to try and get the bed done and get it painted before the weather turns bad for winter. Got my work cut out for me. I do want to get this truck done so I can get back on my runner. That is my Downey bed in the background, he isnt getting it and I am slowly building parts up for it as it will be a complete frame up build in a year or so. In some of the pics of my shop, you can see the frame in the background and the kiddos have been spending a little time getting the frame cleaned up.

Last edited by Terrys87; 10-07-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:12 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Go with Silver... I LOVE THOSE TOO! lol. Or maybe Super-Red1, like mine hehehe.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that is such a awesome look the stepside bed on a toy
Old 10-08-2012, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Go with Silver... I LOVE THOSE TOO! lol. Or maybe Super-Red1, like mine hehehe.
Hello Mark..I have done 3 red trucks, 3 white trucks and 1 blue truck. Silver is a possibility. The first 3 trucks jus happened to be red and my boss asked if my 4th one was going to be red. I said no and then my next three just happen to be white, now I wonder if I will be doing 3 blues in a row,hehe, actually will be painting another white in April or so when it warms back up for a friend.

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
that is such a awesome look the stepside bed on a toy
Hello Cyberhorn... Some like them and some dont. I do like them as it makes them a little more different then the others out there. As far as practicallity, they are much for hauling things, but these arent heavy haulers anyways. I was going to go green with it until I came across my 85 and that is when I decided to sell it and he wanted it. I did offer to buy it back off of him and he said no way. He has some nice plans for it. It should be a sharp little truck when he gets done with it.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

We had a cold spell to come thru, but I wanted to try and get something done so started to sand on the fenders a little bit and on the inside of the bed to get the rust off of it. Even if it is just for 30 minute, it adds up over time. I need to get some red diesel for my torpedo heater as it is alot cheaper then kerosene and doesnt put out the fumes like plain diesel does. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer anyways. I am going to try and get alot don on it this week if all goes well.

The worse fender. Has alot of build up on it. Even thought of pullig the fender to get under the rail.

The inside. It will be getting Rhino lined. Started on the back half.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just checking in on ya terry, truck is looking good wont be long and you will have another good looking yota under your belt.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:52 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Jason, I am looking forward to getting this one done the next few days if all goes well. Starting to not like fiberglass,grrr. Alot of pinholes and scratches.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:59 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

The passenger fender has alot of pinholes and scratches?? I wonder if it is where the fiberglass may have shrunk leaving lines in it. I am slowly but surely getting it. Not sure if this is the correct way to fix it. I am filling them in with body filler and then finishing it like normal. It is coming along smoothly at this stage, just not sure what it is going to be like in the long run as working with fiberglass is a first for me.

If you look closely, you can see what I am talking about, looks like scratches and chicken feet.

Have been getting it done, it is just slower then I would like.

I bought this can of body filler a while back and when I opened it up, it had seperated and the top 2 inches were solid. I broke it up with a screwdriver and then used a paint mixer on a drill and got it all mixed back up. Seems to be working great.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:39 AM

fiberglass does that a bit in cooler weather terry its good for bare metal an holes in the metal (rusty or not) its water proof thus once cured seals the hole an metal BUT it either needs another coat of filler or further sanding to smooth it completely

i tend to fiberglass sand smooth then use spot putty i really hate bondo it absorbs water an kills the metal
Old 10-11-2012, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Cyberhorn.. The wrinkles is what is in the fender and I think they built it up with some kind of filler, is what I am thinking anyway. Today is my first attempt at fiberglass. Doesnt seem to bad so far. It is a new experience for me, so I am liking it.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I been trying to get this truck bed ready for paint tomorrow. Jury is still out on that one, but it is coming along so it might happen. Yesterday, I did get the 3rd member switched out. Jason convinced me it wasnt a bad job at all. It isnt, I am just a little intimidated when it comes to axles and such. Nothing to be worried about.

84 I bought to fix and sell but frame is rusted and so is cab. I hate parting a truck, but would not want to put this one on the road. It has a future as a crawler. If I had a place to 4 wheel I would of kept it for myself but around here you have a long ways to go and not having a trailer and tow rig and the expense, it isnt in the budget.

Remove these 4 nuts and brake line and the wire cable and the axles just slide out. A really nice setup. This was a first for me.

Remove the 12 or bolts holding it in front is all that is needed to get the 3rd member out along with pulling the axles.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Today I did my first attempt at fiberglass. The passenger rear fender has a rip in it. Just ground it down like the directions said to.

First attempt at fiberglass.

Removed the left tail light. Any time you get to use a cutoff wheel and a big hammer ought to be worth 10 points for feeling manly.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really like that stepside bed. It looks like one of the old California Stepside beds from the 80's. Nice work.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:02 PM

ahh fiberglass cloth an resin always fun had to repair the fiberglass rear gate on a broncoII the spair tire carrier had broken

wow the center member over the axle looks like it detonated!!

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 Truck Build