86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 Truck Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 09:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hello junk4u..I have lucked out and got them to come off with different ideas. Sometimes you get one that just wont budge. I need to break down and buy one. My tools get on the list and every now and then I do make it home with one that I need. The right tool makes the difference from an easy job to a big job.
You not kidding, those were the days when money was tight and there wasn't a harbor freight around when i was doing those things. Picked up a steering wheel puller a while back for 19.99 onsale at freight harbor, regular pricing on those I think its 49.99. You wait enough you will get what you need at a reasonable price. I picked up a better than craftsman 1/2" breaker bar at HF for 10.99 seems to handle the torque better than the craftsman that I've replaced 3 times in the past.

This month I'm looking to get the click torque wrench that HF carries and spec them with the craftsman (old one) and see how far they are off. The older craftsman tools seem better than todays craftsman tools. You can even pickup craftsman tools at ACE hardware now.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I forgot to say those Click torque wrenchs don't look the best at all, but at 9.99 with the coupon in this months add, It's worth a try beside, they give life time as well.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:50 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
LOVE HF! Totally agree with you, regarding the 'lifetime' and 'price that can't be beat for at LEAST a ''try'' ' end of things, Junk4u! I have a 1/2 Drive Impact, Chainsaw, 4.5" Angle Grinder... All with the lil extra 2yr unlimited warranty and got them all for HALF even what they usually ask.. NONE have given me a problem. Cordless Drill and LED combo kit, too

Terry... YES, I did add the 2nd Gen Maplight... All you do is remove your old one, cut along the sides for 1/2" or so(until the 2nd Gen one fits) and drop it in and bolt it up... the bolt holes are IDENTICAL, .... so now I have one that wont break off as easily on the 'lever' end of things... I SWEAR it seems brighter... might just be the way it's set up...but I think I'm just imagining things... No before and after pics.......... But here's one nonetheless>>>>

Old 09-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello junk4u..I have some name brand tools and some Harbor Freight. I know HF gets put down sometimes and I have had a couple to go bad, but most have done what I needed for a lot less then the name brand. Some of the things I wouldnt have if I had to wait for a good deal on the other brands.

I just checked this months ad and I missed the torque wrench. On the front page too. I have the needle type and it has worked but the clicker type I am sure is more accurate. I will be picking that up tomorrow as I will be in town. Thanks for mentioning that.

Thanks Mark.. I am going to be looking into your light upgrade. I am very gentle with the lever. I have gotten them before and they break easily and I have broken them knowing how brittle they are.

I am going to pick up their palm sander as well. They have alot of things tha I want. I am using a nephews engine stand but is not the fold away and it is always in the way of things. I use it all of the time but it sure takes up alot of space.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

It was too hot to mess with the steering column so I waited til the evening to do something. Went to wire in a new plug for the clock and found 3 of the 4 wires. I am needing the red wire with the green tracer and unwrapped it to where I know the wiring hasnt been messed with. Apparently 88 uses a different wire as I have seen Toyota change a few wire colors from year to year. Not sure what year my replacement plug came from so will look at Mistys truck and see where the difference is.

Worked on some more trim pieces. They were stained even after giving them a good cleaning. The painted one was in worse shape then the unpainted one.

Wire from the 88 is missing the red/green wire.

I looked at my 85 and it has 2 red wires, one with a black stripe and one with a green stripe. The 86 is the same as the 85.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
eeerf why did toyota do so great with the parts being nearly the same year to year an then do that with the wiring?

heck tonight i was looking at the lady of the houses leaky 90 power steering box (one on the right) we replaced from a junk yard unit as i took mine off (also leaky, on the left) to descale the frame weld up the rusted out front support an also look into rebuilding it

her units bolt pattern to the frame is the same! even set her's in place an every thing lined up the steering shaft needs to be a bit shorter but if the collapsing slide is working should be fine (mines rusted solid an is in the cooking tank) the fluid lines are the same im thinking trying to find a newer used one or see how the rebuild kits are priced

sorry for hijacking terry
Old 09-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn..Dont worry about hijaking here. I dont mind at all, didnt even think it was hijacking. I did read somewhere that Toyota did switch gearboxs and seems like it was 88 or so. If I come across that thread again I will post it. There wasnt much of a difference. I learned one quick way to spot the difference is the casting is smoother on one then the other.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
im thinking trying to find a newer used one or see how the rebuild kits are priced
Since you guys were on the subject of steering boxes, I just thought I'd post this link to Sky offroad. I bought a IFS steering box through them several years ago (for $125, I think they're $150 now, but that's the cheapest I could find, not counting CL) they inspect them, check for leaks, and give them a 90 day warranty. I used mine with hi-steer on my old 83' never had a problem with it. Plus they come with the pitman arm,Just thought I'd post it up, hope ya don't mind Terry!

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new...uct.php?id=175
Old 09-06-2012, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Since you guys were on the subject of steering boxes, I just thought I'd post this link to Sky offroad. I bought a IFS steering box through them several years ago (for $125, I think they're $150 now, but that's the cheapest I could find, not counting CL) they inspect them, check for leaks, and give them a 90 day warranty. I used mine with hi-steer on my old 83' never had a problem with it. Plus they come with the pitman arm,Just thought I'd post it up, hope ya don't mind Terry!

thats a heck of a lot cheaper than the ones from parts stores around here ED thanks! got a source for the rear brakes backer plates?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its looking great Terry! I love reading through your threads. There is so much to learn from a project like this. I am planning on tackling the body on my truck one of these days and your threads make it seem much more manageable. Great work!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:40 PM

Hello Cyberhorn..Dont worry about hijaking here. I dont mind at all, didnt even think it was hijacking. I did read somewhere that Toyota did switch gearboxs and seems like it was 88 or so. If I come across that thread again I will post it. There wasnt much of a difference. I learned one quick way to spot the difference is the casting is smoother on one then the other.
thank you terry! the 90 is a LOT smoother and a quick look on ebay shows the 93-99 T100 4x4 uses the same box! that opens up a whole new area of looking for a used box from the junk yards i can then later rebuild these two at my leisure an if its messed up im just out 33 bucks for a seal kit
Old 09-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I wasnt sure where I read it at, it may have been your thread. I am going to rebuild mine just for a learning experience. Every once in awhile I goof up and get it to work right on the first time.lol
Old 09-07-2012, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83

Thanks Ed.. I will keep them in mind. For what thye want at the boneyards here,you are better off buying new in some situations. Glad you posted it.

Originally Posted by PowerstrokeJoe
Its looking great Terry! I love reading through your threads. There is so much to learn from a project like this. I am planning on tackling the body on my truck one of these days and your threads make it seem much more manageable. Great work!
Hello PowerstrokeJoe.. I been keeping up on your thread when periodically. I have been keeping my eyes out for a Mercedes as I want to do the OM617 swap. I am wanting to get my mileage up and is the biggest reason for doing the swap. It will still be a ways out but I will come across a diesel yet. Seen an old man driving a nice one the other day. Dont think he would like my plans for it. I ever get up you way I will let you know. I really want to see what all I need to get prepared for.

Just keep at it a little at a time and set a goal of getting something done at the rate that best fits you. No matter how small it is. It all adds up and will happen before you know it.

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-07-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Not much but I will settle for my goal of at least something daily. Maybe nothing in one day but two things the next. Got the door trims in. Not sure when he wants to buy some carpet, and the interior wont be to far from being done. Then later on will do the seats. You can see my failed attempt at trying to get the clock working. It was raining at the boneyard I like to go to see if they had a truck with the same wiring to see what I am missing. I have 3 of the 4 wires.

Just to let others see what I have been up to. I bought this 84 to fix and sell and it wound up having the frame rotted and plated. Not something I would want to sell for being on th road so am using parts off of it for this project and other things. It still has a future just not on the road. It is one I would like for 4 wheeling, but we just dont have any places around here anymore and not something I need to get into again just for the funds it would take.

I got an 85 Extra cab for a parts for the 84 as the PO wanted it off of his place or it was going to the crusher. Things turned around. The 85 is getting fixed when I come across a drive train and the 84 is the parts truck. Go figure. The 85 will be a good 6 months off before I really start in on it. It will be just a stock truck in good condition. I will be down to my 86 Runner and the pickup as we really need a truck around here. It is on the last few pages of my 88 Runner build (page 30) if you want to see it.

Anyways back to what little I did get accomplished. Trying to get the bed off of the 84 and some goof butt welded it to the frame. I spent and hour and a half getting one side broke loose and another hour working on the other side. Almost got it but me and doggie decided it was to hot to stay out so came in. Might try again later, but we are to get some storms soon.

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-07-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:48 AM

an i thought welding the doors on a dodge charger shut an not telling the next owner was bad...
Old 10-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
an i thought welding the doors on a dodge charger shut an not telling the next owner was bad...
Lol...Does welding a motor into a car count as a bad owner. I was in a learning stage in my younger days.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I am at a standstill on my 86 runner (funds) so I am going to get back on the truck. I have 3 sets of doors and all of the drivers side window regulators are bad. I am going to have to go to a salvage some distance away to get one and since the salvage isnt sure wich one it is I am prepping a set of doors with the wing glass and one set without the wing glass.

Here I am removing the lock for painting. If all goes well I plan on painting the cab Thursday or Friday. Still havent worked on the bed so it will be while. Had to sand off all of the old primer and will be getting it ready for paint in the next coming days.

A reference pic for putting it back together and how to get to it.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:13 PM

Dude, ............ you are a MACHINE! lol.... My new name for you, "Terryminator"! hahaha.

Seriously, I watch your threads, daily, and I REALLY am getting a complex on how little I've gotten done! lol. I want to wire in the second deck lamp and rear window wiper cover dome lamp..... OK, I don't NEED to... but it would make me feel like less of a knob after reading your threads! hahaha. Wanna help me/walk me through it? You could duct tape the phone to your head(or bluetooth, whichever is better), and while you're working on yours, you could walk me through every step, each wire, every switch I'm wanting to add, etc... SOUND GOOD? ..........
Old 10-02-2012, 12:14 PM

I am at a standstill on my 86 runner (funds) so I am going to get back on the truck. I have 3 sets of doors and all of the drivers side window regulators are bad. I am going to have to go to a salvage some distance away to get one and since the salvage isnt sure wich one it is I am prepping a set of doors with the wing glass and one set without the wing glass.

Here I am removing the lock for painting. If all goes well I plan on painting the cab Thursday or Friday. Still havent worked on the bed so it will be while. Had to sand off all of the old primer and will be getting it ready for paint in the next coming days.

A reference pic for putting it back together and how to get to it.
OMGOSHHHHHHHHHH! ........ Ok, it's one thing for them to mickey mouse stuff like they do to your rigs you've picked up.... but to leave a SEVERED HAND IN THE TAILGATE?????????? WTH? ...... Sorry, couldn't resist.... I apologize if it's not funny to others... But it made ME LAUGH, SO MEH! hehe.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:45 PM

lol at chef

oh if ya ever need new factory keys made as after a few years of making a copy of acopyof a copy they dont tend to work

passenger door lock has the key coded number on it take that # to the dealer an they can cut ya new keys for the locks or get one retumblered to match the others just FYI

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 Truck Build