86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 Truck Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks Cyberhorn.. I will be looking into that. I figure I have nothing to lose and might save a window.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got the SR5 swap done. All of the guages work. I took the picture after just starting it up. It did great on its maiden voyage. All of the other trips had been around town and in close. I have some noise in the front end and need to get back after the rear pinon seal as it is still leaking. Will see what I didnt get right the first time. Still feel that it has some hidden power and not up to what it can do and will be taking it in to see if it needs an alighnment.

Should be getting the rest of the dash in later today if all goes well, and will be adding a clock after I get all of its cut wiring done to the way it should be.

A souvenir of my first real run in the truck. I broke my left collar bone years ago on a motorcyle and dont like anything touching it. These are $10 fines, I need to pay a few up ahead of time as I will get some for not wearing a seat belt. I showed him my collar bone and said a doc could get me a waiver. He already had the ticket wrote. Being Evel Knevel when I was younger still has me paying for it. Thought I was indestructible.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
terry that is about the cheapest ticket ive seen! (not cheap as i got a 56 in a 55 zone ticket once that cost me 78 bucks)
Old 09-02-2012, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, great work, and you do it properly, keep it up
Old 09-02-2012, 12:15 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks, regarding the rear window seal, Terry. I can't imagine, as you said, what the dealer/online parts OEM resellers want... but I figure that IF I DON'T replace it.... whatever fix I provide to clean up the glass is worthless over time... not to mention, that allows TONS of moisture/rain/dirt into the back door. I'm thinking of finding a way to rig up the safety so I can roll the window up with the tailgate down and then properly clean everything up in there(the window is in the way, right? Jason_in_TN did this I believe, right?(not rigging up the safety, ... I mean totally restoring the back gate he got?

Anyway, gotta good update for my build regarding some pretty great wheeling me and redeth did yesterday.... (GREAT EAT'N, TOO! HAHAHA).... but unfortunately, half of my videos took a crap on me with my new SD card.... I can only guess that it's the new CARD... as my old 2Gig card from walgreens works flawlessly. GRRRRRRRR! I had video of pulling redeth out on a hill/about to go off the sides into a mesquite nightmare, etc..... Just TOTALLY pushed me into finally re-upping my "point and shoot" game! hahaha. Yep, another unforeseen purchase is in order >>>" now and later " <<<, as some of my homies growing up said! hahaha.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as you know terry I know all about them seatbelt tickets sorry to hear ya got one, I need to get a pinion seal in my runner as well I dont think it should be to big a job.

mark terry can explain how to run jumper wires to the motor in the gate as a temp way to move it up and down not to tough, dealer ship sells the outer felt seal dont remember the price but I think it was under $100 bucks but not much Im hunting around hoping to find a fix for it on mine I sure terry will come up with somthing before I do LOL.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:59 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
terry that is about the cheapest ticket ive seen! (not cheap as i got a 56 in a 55 zone ticket once that cost me 78 bucks)
Hello Cyberhorn.. That is about the cheapest they are around here. They go up dramatically after that. I wear one on the passenger side but not the drivers side. I need to get off of my butt and get a waiver.

Originally Posted by lilyota1
Wow, great work, and you do it properly, keep it up
Thanks lilyota1..Appreciate the compliment and welcome to Yotatech. It doesnt cost much more to do it right and saves alot of headaches down the road. This truck will be done nice and right. It is in alot better shape then when I got it and is getting a little better each day. Just takes a little time.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Thanks, regarding the rear window seal, Terry. I can't imagine, as you said, what the dealer/online parts OEM resellers want... but I figure that IF I DON'T replace it.... whatever fix I provide to clean up the glass is worthless over time... not to mention, that allows TONS of moisture/rain/dirt into the back door. I'm thinking of finding a way to rig up the safety so I can roll the window up with the tailgate down and then properly clean everything up in there(the window is in the way, right? Jason_in_TN did this I believe, right?(not rigging up the safety, ... I mean totally restoring the back gate he got?

Anyway, gotta good update for my build regarding some pretty great wheeling me and redeth did yesterday.... (GREAT EAT'N, TOO! HAHAHA).... but unfortunately, half of my videos took a crap on me with my new SD card.... I can only guess that it's the new CARD... as my old 2Gig card from walgreens works flawlessly. GRRRRRRRR! I had video of pulling redeth out on a hill/about to go off the sides into a mesquite nightmare, etc..... Just TOTALLY pushed me into finally re-upping my "point and shoot" game! hahaha. Yep, another unforeseen purchase is in order >>>" now and later " <<<, as some of my homies growing up said! hahaha.
Hello Mark..I posted the way to bypass the safety to get your window up with the gate open. You can do it temporarily, but I made mine permanent. It does save me alot of aggravation on it. The rear window can be troublesome on these but yours seems to be well taken care of.

I wish we had some wheeling spots around here. One of your pics shows LA in the background. I remember living in San Diego, there was a place that I could go and see it in the distance. Was fairly close and yet out away from everything.

I liked the idea of you having a little grill that you can take with you and cook while being out and then having a nice little area to take a swim. I live fairly close to the Lake of the Ozarks, but alot of it is private or the state has parks and dont know of many areas that we can do things like that. We can get to places like that by boat but not by truck. Urggh!!!

Originally Posted by jason in tn
as you know terry I know all about them seatbelt tickets sorry to hear ya got one, I need to get a pinion seal in my runner as well I dont think it should be to big a job.

mark terry can explain how to run jumper wires to the motor in the gate as a temp way to move it up and down not to tough, dealer ship sells the outer felt seal dont remember the price but I think it was under $100 bucks but not much Im hunting around hoping to find a fix for it on mine I sure terry will come up with somthing before I do LOL.
Hello Jason.. I am planning to get my pinion seal in tomorrow. Dont think it will be a bad job. Already did some studying on it as it a new task to me. Steering and suspension isnt my strong areas, but I have been getting my fair share of it lately.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:09 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I am planning on getting the rear axle pinion seal replaced later today and I am taking the wimp way out on the Steering Gear box. It has a bad leak and driving it around without power steering is getting old and that is one thing that is taking the pleasure out of driving it. I have a spare one so cleaned it up and hoping it all goes smooth. Not sure what all parts I will leave on the gear box but at least they are cleaned and will be ready for the next project. I will eventually rebuild the box as I know I will need it and for a learning experience.

Things are looking great for my 86 runner this coming week. I am going to take it to the windshield shop and am hoping to have it tagged at the end of this week or the beginning of next week. Really looking forward to taking it on its first real run. I have just driven it around my dads place and around my block and nothing over 20 miles per hour. Winter is coming so I got to get it painted here real quick. After it is painted I can start putting it back together and it will look like a real runner again. Getting the seats done will be awhile. Really looking forward to this week and next week on both projects.
Planning on getting backon the bodywork later this week.

Hoping this goes on quick and easy. Still want to take it alighnment shop and make sure everything is good to go. Steers well as it is now.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:46 PM

OOOH, Richard might come here and grab your "Steering Box Rebuild" notes, lol... HURRY UP! haha. JK, ... while mudding a bit on our trip, maybe before that, can't be sure, he blew what looks like the seal of flange to body where those two hoses thread into the top? I think it's 4 bolts holding in a gasket.... Anyway, that seal or the input shaft seal for the column sprung a leak.... It's a pretty decent leak.. So, he's trying to decide whether to just grab a yard 2WD box or rebuild his... (I went 2wd replacement cuz mine was toast... Not just a seals thing... Plus, 2wd is the SAME BOX, exactly, and works FAR less than the 4WD rigs.)

anyway, best wishes on all that, looking great! CAN'T WAIT FOR PICS OF HER WITH HER NEW GLASS ON!
Old 09-04-2012, 09:52 AM

ooh lookit that purdy box an steering lines LOL
Old 09-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Mark...I will keep the info on a 2WD gear box saved on my 88 Runner build. I found some info on rebuilding these and will be trying it at a later time. I am going to need it in the future and looking forward to learning it.

Hello Cyberhorn..That is tomorrows project of getting it on the truck. Hoping all goes well.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I pulled the dash support off today as I didnt have enough interior paint to finish the rest of the pieces and so as to cut down on the possibility of having some slightly different shades, I pulled it and coated all of the pieces from the same can.

I think I found a new way of changing heater control assemblies. Most probably wont go this route but it will make it so much easier. Getting a stereo out would probably be the biggest hassle. It really isnt hard at all but remove the entire dash and leave the controls in. I just stumbled into this and am sure it will work great.

New way for me to replace heater controls. Dash removed.

I see these windshield side trims broken all of the time. I am sure I know what happens. It when someone tries to remove them from the truck, they wind up snapping in half. Take a medium sized flatblade and slide until you hit the clips and twist on the top two. When they loosen just slide the trim piece up about half an inch. Where my finger is the bottom one and it just needs to be slid up to get the trim out.

Also getting ready to install wiper delay. Just need to rent the steering wheel puller and get the combo switch from a spare that I have. Hoping all is just a electric hook up. Will wait and see how that goes.

Dash is finally in. Not sure if I am going to have the steering column cover black or blue. Still deciding. Any suggestions?

I am adding a clock and need to fix the butchered up wiring. Truck is a mess, its a work in progress.I tried to find some before pics an it is alot better then what it was. Dash pad needs replaced but is all I have for now. Might get an ebay dash pad cover at a later time.

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-03-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Also getting ready to install wiper delay. Just need to rent the steering wheel puller and get the combo switch from a spare that I have. Hoping all is just a electric hook up. Will wait and see how that goes.
About that Steering wheel Puller, I remember back in the 80's i use to take the truck back to the dealer who i knew the owners and they would manual align the front end for me as the computers never did it correctly even though the computer did it to specs. The guy aligning it name was Gregg and he did an awesome job. He showed me how to do it and once of the things he did was pop off the steering wheel. He took everything off then unbolted the the center nut and with the palm of his hand he hit the back end of the wheel and it popped right off.

back then I needed to repair my CV joint so I had to dismantle everything and then try to align it as best as i could. i couldn't remove the steering wheel like he did and they really didn't rent tools at the time from auto part stores like rose auto parts. i didn't want to spend the $ so I rigged up my on little thing. Rope to steering wheel to come along then to roll bar. Worked like a charm when you want to save a buck.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:12 PM

harbor freight terry since you do these rebuilds an repairs id say a good investment in a puller
Old 09-05-2012, 02:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Terry, thought I'd get caught up on your build, just got back into town. Your making some nice progress! Thanks for the tip on the side windsheild trim removal, I think I broke the clips off on one in the past trying to remove it! Lol. I think black would look good on the steering column, maybe break it up a little? My dash and trim is all dark brown, but the steering column cover is black, I think it looks good.

On the 2wd steering box that Mark mentioned. There is a difference, the sector shaft diameter is smaller on the 2wd versions. When I had my 83' Toyota and was doing hi-steer conversion on it, I asked on TG's forum if a 2wd steering box would work ( because like Mark mentioned, you can pick them up a lot cheaper) anyway, they advised against it if I was going to be doing any rock crawling or hardcore wheeling. Just thought I'd share that info, obviously if Mark has been running one on his 4 runner and hasn't had any problems they must be strong, but if someone was doing a SAS and running hi-steer or hydrolic assist and into rockcrawling, they might want to stay with the 4wd version. I bought one from Sky offroad, they clean them up, check for worn parts and leaks, had a 90 day warranty for $125, might be more now, but the cheapest I could find at the time, nothing was on CL, lol.

Last edited by rustED; 09-05-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:48 PM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Windshield Trim - Thanks!

Originally Posted by Terrys87
... I see these windshield side trims broken all of the time. I am sure I know what happens. It when someone tries to remove them from the truck, they wind up snapping in half. Take a medium sized flatblade and slide until you hit the clips and twist on the top two. When they loosen just slide the trim piece up about half an inch. Where my finger is the bottom one and it just needs to be slid up to get the trim out...
Thanks for this tip, Terry. Man, You got some patience working on that truck! More power to you!
Old 09-05-2012, 03:14 PM

Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Hmmm. I just realized I'm not getting updates in my email so I need to say something to resubscribe.
If the interior is all blue I vote blue paint for the steering column but you're not keeping it, right? Does anyone know if there's a stock Duplicolor or SEM paint that matches the blue? I've had good luck with the darker Duplicolor gray on my gray interior. $6.99 v. $25 for custom color.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:27 PM

Hey Terry,

Updated my thread with some "Terry-Props" inserted in there! hahaha... I'm sure, if you weren't such a humble dude... .your head wouldn't fit in the door anymore!

Curious what you think... Whenever you have a chance to get over there, don't wanna clutter this thread up. (It's regarding the heater control stuff's I got.)
Old 09-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by junk4u
About that Steering wheel Puller, I remember back in the 80's i use to take the truck back to the dealer who i knew the owners and they would manual align the front end for me as the computers never did it correctly even though the computer did it to specs. The guy aligning it name was Gregg and he did an awesome job. He showed me how to do it and once of the things he did was pop off the steering wheel. He took everything off then unbolted the the center nut and with the palm of his hand he hit the back end of the wheel and it popped right off.

back then I needed to repair my CV joint so I had to dismantle everything and then try to align it as best as i could. i couldn't remove the steering wheel like he did and they really didn't rent tools at the time from auto part stores like rose auto parts. i didn't want to spend the $ so I rigged up my on little thing. Rope to steering wheel to come along then to roll bar. Worked like a charm when you want to save a buck.
Hello junk4u..I have lucked out and got them to come off with different ideas. Sometimes you get one that just wont budge. I need to break down and buy one. My tools get on the list and every now and then I do make it home with one that I need. The right tool makes the difference from an easy job to a big job.

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
harbor freight terry since you do these rebuilds an repairs id say a good investment in a puller
Hello Cyberhorn...Harbor Freight does get a lot of my business. I just signed up for their insiders discount and got my first coupons yesterday. Looks like they are gong to be seeing me soon. A friend of mine I hadnt seen since graduation is the store manager at our local store. At first we didnt recognize each other and he heard the cashier mention my name and got to do alot talking. I tell him to let me know when certain things I am wanting to come up.

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Hi Terry, thought I'd get caught up on your build, just got back into town. Your making some nice progress! Thanks for the tip on the side windsheild trim removal, I think I broke the clips off on one in the past trying to remove it! Lol. I think black would look good on the steering column, maybe break it up a little? My dash and trim is all dark brown, but the steering column cover is black, I think it looks good.

On the 2wd steering box that Mark mentioned. There is a difference, the sector shaft diameter is smaller on the 2wd versions. When I had my 83' Toyota and was doing hi-steer conversion on it, I asked on TG's forum if a 2wd steering box would work ( because like Mark mentioned, you can pick them up a lot cheaper) anyway, they advised against it if I was going to be doing any rock crawling or hardcore wheeling. Just thought I'd share that info, obviously if Mark has been running one on his 4 runner and hasn't had any problems they must be strong, but if someone was doing a SAS and running hi-steer or hydrolic assist and into rockcrawling, they might want to stay with the 4wd version. I bought one from Sky offroad, they clean them up, check for worn parts and leaks, had a 90 day warranty for $125, might be more now, but the cheapest I could find at the time, nothing was on CL, lol.
Hello Ed... Glad to see you are back. Sorry to hear about your tranny.I am between black and blue. I will let my brother decide which he wants. He is supposed to be down in a little while. Going to put his bed on my trailer so as I can move it around. Thats if we can lift it. I got a feeling it is heavy.

I will check into wheter the 2 wheels will work. I just have to see for myself. Figured they wod not have been stressed so much like a 4 wheel would. If I was to do a SAS, I would not do a 2 wheel at all. Need all the strength you can get there. Glad the trim removal help.

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Thanks for this tip, Terry. Man, You got some patience working on that truck! More power to you!
Thanks RAD4Runner...If I think it might help I post it and eventually it will make it to my 88Runner build where I keep all of the things I find on it. Trying to make things a little easier then having to look at a manual. When I get the chance, I am going to post your starter relay cleaning on my 88 Runner build as well. I got it copied on here. That made a big difference on this pick up. Thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted by Nervo19
Hmmm. I just realized I'm not getting updates in my email so I need to say something to resubscribe.
If the interior is all blue I vote blue paint for the steering column but you're not keeping it, right? Does anyone know if there's a stock Duplicolor or SEM paint that matches the blue? I've had good luck with the darker Duplicolor gray on my gray interior. $6.99 v. $25 for custom color.
Hello Nervo..I think either one would look good. I am thinking if I want to tackle adding a tilt column today as it has a black cover to see what it would look like. I just finished up repairing his power steering leak. It is hot so I come in to cool off and hit it again. At this rate it would be a 2 day job which would only take a couple of hour if I could stand the heat.

I did my runner in off the shelf gray as well. My panels were several different colors and for me it doesnt have to be factory perfect. It will add up when covering different colors. I have checked several places and couldnt find a color close enough. Doing a truck is why I decided to go with a custom color. Mistys runner I had about $100 into interior paint.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey Terry,

Updated my thread with some "Terry-Props" inserted in there! hahaha... I'm sure, if you weren't such a humble dude... .your head wouldn't fit in the door anymore!

Curious what you think... Whenever you have a chance to get over there, don't wanna clutter this thread up. (It's regarding the heater control stuff's I got.)
Thanks Mark... I got caught up on some of your thread. Yours jumps a page a day. The dashpad isnt nearly as bad as some might think and being able to get it off makes working under there soooo much easier. If you see something that I could add that might make that a little easier, let me know and I will add it as well.

Did get a little fired up as to where others destroy trucks in the boneyard for something small. Doesnt take much to strip on down the correct way and leave parts for the next guy. Besides it isnt theirs so why destroy someone elses property anyways? I have 2 boneyards that let me in unescorted. Not like how you guys have it out there where you pay to go in. Some of it is the yard workers themselves.

If I understood your thread right, you added a 2nd gen maplight? Sounded like there was some slight modifications? I like those better and would like to possibly do the same.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got the gearbox in. No a bad job. Just loosen all of the bolts before lifting the front end up. Makes things alot easier. Still need to go get some cotter pins and tranny fluid, but the job is done.

When getting new fluid thru the system, it is said to turn the steering wheel all the way from one side to the other and do several times. I find it easier to get the tires off of the ground and saves putting so much stress on the steering system and your arm.

So far no leaks and I am a little low on fluid. I am debating about adding tilt colmn and wiper delay today. Probably will but it will take the rest of the day to get it done. It is humid and hot. Will see if getting the non tilt out is going to be easy or if it will wait. Have swapped steering colmns in the past, sometimes it goes well, other times not. I will stop if there is going to be any reason as to not to get it back on the road.

I took the gearbox out from the top. I didnt use the shaft that connects up by the steering shaft by the brake booster. Also just unbolt the non studded bolts.

Here what I started with.

Here is what I actually used. Just unbolt the ones shown and no need to touch the bolts that have the studs behind them.

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-17-2012 at 11:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 Truck Build