86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Brandon... How you been doing? I have been following your extra cab build. My extra cab has come to a stop until I get the 88 running. I probably got a couple of years worth of things to keep me busy, lol.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Grrr... Guess what I am dealing with again after been running so great. Cherry Manifold. After all of the things I have done, swapped motor from the 86, complete wiring harness from bumper to bumper, fuel pump, AFM, I even kept the alternator, injectors, everything from the 86 to eliminate any possibility of the problem transferring to the 88.

I got to thinking what was not moved over and the only real thing I could think of was Injector Resistor, don't know why I did not think of that earlier, figured if it was broke, the injector circuit would not fire. I swapped it out and still it is running hot and when it gets hot, it cuts out.

Only other things that I did not move over is fuel tank ( I swapped fuel pumps) radiator, fuel lines ( which are cleared and flowing great). The 86 never once ever had the Cherry Manifold. I really don't know what could be left. 86 and 88 Injectors are different so you have to swap them. O2 sensors mount in the exhaust pipe or manifold so you have to swap them as well. You have to swap computers due to injectors and O2 sensors so that gets swapped as well. I just cant think of anything that was not swapped that would cause an issue.

Anyways just as soon as I get the time, I have a salvage in my area that has some 22r trucks in the yard. I am going to convert my 85 and this 88 to 22r trucks just so I don't have to keep dealing with all the issues the fuel injection problems can have. Frustrated beyond belief. A Weber on a 22 motor just seem to have no issues. If I had the ability to stick a small block Ford in them I would. Those are my favorite motor, never had issues with one of them. 289/302/351 Windsor is just a great motor when you get them done right.

I have seen where some one on other trucks try to cut all of the fuel injection wiring off and add a carburetor and it always looks terrible. I will replace the main harness and the fuse box harness from a 22r truck and do it right. On a pick up the fuel and tail lights run down the frame.

On a 4 Runner the fuel pump is on the frame and the tail lights run inside the cab. I will use an 85-88 truck harness and have to split the fuel and tail light harness which I feel comfortable with. A friend of mine has swapped several truck over to 22r and told me along time ago 22r was the way to go. I finally agree. I had a complete Weber and harness and sold them along time ago, now wishing I would of kept it. Oh well. Reason I don't want to use an 84 harness is the voltage regulator is externally mounted and that runs into using the old style alternator.

When all is said and done the only 22re I will have will be the red 87. I want to fix it back to original as it is a full loaded truck that has about every option on it. I really don't plan on driving it as I want it as perfect as possible and daily driving, they get rock chips, door dings and such. It will be more of a garage queen and not something I want to depend on. Just a little frustrated on the 22re and moving over to 22r. The 22re is a great motor when it is running right and no issues. The 85 is doing alright but it is going to be the truck I use for the long haul and want dependability so it will get swapped as well.

Doing a main harness swap, I can do in my sleep but is something I really am not looking forward to as it is a long process. These trucks are really fortunate that I like how they look and drive. I really like the 74-77 Ford trucks with the small block in them. It has crossed my mind but I am going to give the 22r with a Weber a chance.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
advance adapters likely has a plate that could match up a ford belhousing to a toyota trans terry
sorry to hear its driving ya to change over to carbed
Old 09-25-2015, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sub'd

Love seeing a nice 1st gen 4runner build. It's always been my dream to get my hand on one of these with minimal to no rust.

Ill stay happy with my 3rd gen for now.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn... I really have no idea why it cherries up on me. When everything was in the 86, I was putting 350 miles a week on it and was just sure that would fix it. Any thing that is still 88 is fuel tank, fuel lines, radiator, and I got to thinking the brake booster. I did swap out the fuel pump so that should of eliminated that. I plan on keeping this truck for the long run and with a Weber I think that will keep this truck with fewer issues. I don't get it as I use OEM parts or better and it has me stumped. It stumped a few other mechanics around here.

My neighbor has a 76 LTD but it has the 351 Modified in it. He is the original owner. He pulled out in front of a semi and messed up the front end on it. That would be a sweet motor to have as I know he took care of it. Might wind up with it someday if he decides not to fix it. That is one of them finds that would be nice to have. I would only be interested in the motor and tranny.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello ramonortiz55... These 1st gen runners are getting harder to find and when you find them, they are in really rough shape. The more time goes on, the worse they are getting. They are still floating around with some digging but everyday is turning into some serious work. I know of two that I would not be able to fix but would make great parts trucks for one that I do know that is fixable.

They are some great trucks to own and eventually I will be restoring an 87 to as new of a condition that I can make it. I really wont plan on driving it and really depending on it to be driven daily. With the work I want to put into it I would not want to drive it on the road as I want it to be as nearly as perfect as I can make it. That build is still a ways off yet as I want to get my 88 swapped over to carburetor and finish my 85. Really not much left to do on it, just need to get some time on it. When I swap over to carburetor, it will look like factory when done.

I too have a 3rd gen. It is an 01 SR5. They are some great trucks and don't need much work on them. Maybe someday you will find you an early runner when the time is right. It will more then likely need some work done to it. I like true original trucks but since that is out of the budget, it is cheaper for me to have the next best thing which is as close to original as I can make one and it is doable.

Welcome to Yotatech.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

A friend of mine who knows these trucks far better then I do looked into the cherry manifold on Mistys truck and he is stumped. We spent quite a few hours going thru everything on it and still found nothing.

My brother got my dads Nissan that dad bought new in 86. It has 380k miles on it. Dad retired and it was his work truck and it had been sitting. He went to drive it one day and the gas tank was full of water. A squirrel had chewed the vent line and the bed had a hole in it and drained the water straight to the tank. Got the tank fixed but the fuel pump is ruined.

While testing other things, I primed the carburetor and my brother started cranking on it and it backfired and I still had the gas can close to it and had a little fire. Nothing serious but it happened quick. First time for everything. Luckily I had a fire extinguisher near by if I needed it.

I will someday restore this truck for dad but it wont be anytime soon. Other then the bed having some rust, it is one of those one owner older trucks you wish you could find. Dad was very easy on it. I was disappointed to see the wire nuts he used to put on a trailer light kit but other then that it is still a solid truck. Last time I drove a few years ago, it still felt tight in steering, transmission and other areas.

He did go buy him a newer Ford something or other. I bought a new Ford in 98 and tried to tell him quality has gone down hill in Fords. I have already had to troubleshoot his Ford already. He is retired and not driving nearly as much so guess it will work for him but with his old Nissan, you would think he would of stayed with Nissan. They are some great trucks as well. Still working on it is a pain as I have to look in manuals and not something I can just jump right in on and fix without some studying.

Name:  nissan%201_zps1rcw5n2i.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  45.6 KB
Old 02-10-2016, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sub'd Terry. I will come back and read your build soon
Old 03-01-2016, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Terry I saw on another thread that you had been trying to find a center console for a couple of reasons. I mounted one out of a 2001 Tacoma in my 87 4runner. I used the stock 4runner shifter bezel just had to cut out the side toward the back so the console could slide all the way forward.It is a little wider but it will pull up to side of the bezel. Just had to modify the mounts some. It looks factory unless you know it and has two large cup holders.

Last edited by maddad4x4; 03-01-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Nippon surf...I hope you like how the build goes and it can give you some information you may have not been aware of. I try to add what I can to make it a useful build for things that may not be in a manual.

Thanks maddad4x4...I hope to be going to a newer salvage yard that is to have those trucks in the yard and will look into that. I appreciate the information.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

The 88 has been sitting for quite some time. It still has the cherry manifold issue going on. I have had other mechanics to look at it, taken it to Toyota and $95 later they still cant find the problem with it. They said their computer would show where the issue was and it did not. I was a little disappointed in them.

Things I have done, new Denso TPS, Denso, O2 sensor, removed catalytic converter, new fuel pump, tested all the sensors and most I have swapped to known working trucks and they never caused any issues on them trucks, different AFMs, tune up with OEM parts, filters, fuel pressure test, timing verified, valves adjusted, EGR cleaned, tested, and operational, all carbon removed from system, swapped and tested injectors and hours of trouble shooting. I am sure there are other things I have done and have not mentioned like swapping out manifolds and Intake.

I am able to get these trucks to start in one or two revolutions of the motor and running great. This runner is no different but if I drive it for about 8-10 miles, the exhaust manifold will glow cherry red and I am afraid that I will burn up a piston, as I believe it is running lean. I even pulled the motor out of my 86 as I know it is a good motor and has never given me a problem. It too started making the manifold glow. Literally I have hours into troubleshooting this cherry manifold and tons more into research.

Misty really likes her runner and wants to get it back on the road. I told her the only way I know to get it back on the road is to go with a carburetor. She is fine with that. Normally I will run from a truck that has been a fuel injection motor and they try and make it carburetor as all they do is try to remove the fuel injection wiring and it is a big mess. I have yet to see one done that was not a soup sandwich and would suggest staying away from a truck that some one has tried to carb like that.

I have in the past converted from fuel injection to carb and carb to fuel injection. On a runner, the 84 is carbed but I do not want an 84 harness as it has an external voltage regulator and requires a different alternator. I will only do an 85-88 truck harness. That way it is done right and will not be a butcher job.

Today a friend and me went to the bone yard and I got an 86 22r truck harness. I will be ordering a Webber carburetor here soon and will plan on converting it to a 22r. I am going to wait until the heat wave passes here as it is hot. It was miserable getting the harness out of the yard.

I got a new smart phone and have to figure out how to post pictures with it. Quite a bit of things to convert from 22re to 22r and I will try and document it so others might see what is involved. I see it on the home page several times and don't think they realize what is involved. There is a lot, mechanical fuel pump, fuel pump drive, coil, fuel tank, Intake Manifold, Webber, and a few other things I am sure of that I have not thought of. Just waiting for the weather to cool down.

Trying to see which settings I want to use for my phone.

This clip is hard to find and is needed of the linkage. I grab these anytime I can find them.
Name:  20160712_030113_zpsspztaej3.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  111.3 KB

Connects to this.
Name:  20160712_030242_zps5gwhhzy4.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  279.5 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-12-2016 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I took a little vacation and we have been trying to show the kiddos different things in life. We took them to Texas and then went thru Louisiana, down to the Gulf of Mexico and came back up thru Arkansas. I have been to each state except for New York, Montana, and North Dakota. I eventually will get to those 3 states but wanted to get the kids in as many as I can before they fly the coop. They now have 7 under their belts. Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Kansas, Louisiana, and Texas.

While we were in Louisiana, we were able to go on a tour of the Tabasco factory. I have been introducing them to several different kinds of foods from around the world and Cajun is one of my favorites. The tour showed what all Tabasco has been used in movies and one of them was Back to the Future. Misty got a lot more pictures then I did as I only got the one below. Next year we are going to take them on a cruise ship. I was in Uncle Sams canoe club and miss the big waves and always enjoyed just laying on my back and let the rocking of the ship give a great back massage and you sleep like a baby on rough water. Cruise ships stay in calm water but sure it will be a great time.

Usually my youngest gets to know all the girls wherever we go some where but this time my oldest met one and was wondering why he was so sleepy on the next days drive. Come to find out he had been texting until 2 in the morning and he was in the same room as we were. I can sleep thru a tornado. The girls mom told us the next day as we were checking out of the hotel.

This picture is at Tabasco Factory in Avery Island.
Name:  20160715_105049_zpssvtubioi.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  307.5 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-17-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Since selling my 85 I have been on the hunt for a new project for myself. I have always like the mid 70s Fords. Only thing is these trucks only get about 10 miles to the gallon. I have been studying up on motors that might get me into the high teens or low twenties and that is not looking to good.

One I would like to get my hands on but not sure if it is going to work out. Will have to wait and see.
Name:  20160716_150406_zpsi8xhjqqq.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  377.6 KB
Old 07-17-2016, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Was a Ford person before the 4Runner, still get the envies when I see an old Bronco (60's especially).
Ha, 2am texting...NOT looking forward to those days! Still seems awake enough to have fun, or was that after a sample?
Old 10-10-2016, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Hab... I first started wrenching on Fords. I wanted an early Bronco and those are so far gone or way over priced that is actually how I found out about the early 4Runner. Still have not gotten m 76 Super Cab home but think I will this week or next week. The kids are getting of age that I got to keep on my toes to stay a head of them. Sure they will try some other shananigins along the way. Just a little payback from when I was younger I suppose.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

For the past year or so the 88 has been getting the cherry manifold. Where the exhaust just get red hot and glows. I have so much time into trouble shooting that the time involved in is just thru the roof. Even sent it to Toyota to have them diagnose it and that did not do any good. I am just going to convert it to carburetor. I have a Webber on order that should be here in the next day or so.

I have an 86 22r pickup truck harness. Everything is the same except it wont have the wiring for the back glass I will just use a harness that you can buy online somewhere that replaces the factory harness for the back glass. 84 Runners were the only carbed runners. Finding an 84 harness for a runner would be nearly impossible to find and it is different from the newer runners as 84 has an external voltage regulator and requires a different alternator which is probably getting hard to find so will go with a newer 22r harness.

I got some vacation time to use and hope to take some of it to wrap up Toms build, swap the 88 to carb and might start on the 87 runner I have. Summer was to hot to be in the shop and winter time I can warm the shop up. Looking forward to moving on to some new projects. I might have a couple of others in the works as well. Still waiting to see if those work out. Hoping to get my 76 Super Cab home this week or next week and getting started on it. I don't care for winter but it is nice when I am in the shop and really starting to like winter for that reason.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:23 PM

Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Is it possible the manifold problem is a thing with the ECU? Is that a really stupid idea? I guess you're converting anyway. From what I understand if TSHTF people will need carbureted trucks and nothing with electronics.

One of my sons friends came by to pick him up in a newer Chevy truck. I complimented him on it (thinking spoiled!) and he explained it was his grand dad's and he's looking for his own truck. I asked what and he said "1977 F-150 4x4." Very specific for a 16 year old. The future is in good hands. I'll be telling him to check your new build when it gets going.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Nervo... Swapping over to carb is not something I want to do. I have swapped ECUs, Harnesses, Manifolds... I would guess I have over 200 hours into trouble shooting. As much as I do like EFI, carb trucks with a Webber are so much easier to work on. Her runner is one we will keep as she never really had a car or truck that is more then just for transportation.

Good to here some of the younger kids are into the older trucks. I still have not gotten mine home. I am going to try and get mine home next week. I need to go dig it out of the trees that have grown around it. I would of liked to gotten a 4x4 Ford but for my uses did not need the 4 wheel option. I am looking to get started on it get it up and going. I will be going thru it from one end to the other end and will probably get some different drive train changes thru the next few years. I know it is going to be one of my more expensive builds but it is going to be set up for long hauls and comfort. I think he will like how it is going to turn out when I get it done. I will post many pictures that should help him out on how to tear one down. I would like a 4x4 Ford short bed and think they are some great looking trucks but not in the cards for now.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Every time lately I have been out in the shop, my oldest has been there like my shadow. Well my youngest has been starting to want to get involved and I had a bolt that I need to save for my Ford truck build and let him cut the shaft down so as my short socket would get on it. Here he is cutting the shaft. He was a little concerned using the cut off saw. He did like getting to cut it.
Name:  20161220_154551_zps6yvetvrl.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  311.5 KB

I explained to him on how heat works on some rusted bolts. Here is his first time with the torch. I did not get a picture of him using the Impact Wrench but he liked how it all worked to make it happen.
Name:  20161220_154253_zpsxrfk5kkv.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  268.2 KB
Old 12-20-2016, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Not what I want to do but I have been fighting the Cherry Manifold issue for some time now. I have not been driving the runner much other then a mile or so to keep things operational. I have sent this to Toyota twice, swapped and tested every possible part on it and numerous hours into it. I have taken it to other mechanics and it has them stumped. I would of gotten rid of this runner already but we do like driving it and is one of the funnest trucks I have ever owned so have decided to swap it over to carburetor.

I am not going to hack the wiring by trying to remove the EFI wiring from it. That is a total hack job and every one I have seen is one big mess. What I am going to do is replace it with a 22r harness from a pick up out of the bone yard. I will have to make a back glass harness or pick one up from on line. Another thing I am going to have to do is convert the gas tank from fuel injection to non fuel injection.

Here it is in the shop and getting ready for a major tear down.
Name:  20161220_154346_zpsxelxrtwf.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  234.0 KB

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread