Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Outsane
Terry nice fix on the Antenna..
Thanks Outsane.. My post earlier did not go thru, probably me that messed it up. I have fixed several antennas that way. If I find a good one with the broken pipe in the yards, I will grab it. The yards think it is junk but works great when I get done with them.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I took it on a 10 mile run and so far so good. I really cant see in difference in performance with the new to me injectors but it should of glowed on that 10 mile run. I will check at dark just to make sure. It did not drop in performance like it normally does. If it was injectors all this time that is going to be frustrating but if it is what the problem it will also be a relief as well. Got my fingers crossed that tonight is a good night. I checked it in the shop with the lights out and it was nice and dark under the hood.

It is 9:30 at nite and I took it on a 10 mile drive and it is not glowing. I am not just ready to do the happy dance but am getting hopeful. I sure hope it was just the injectors. The truck has always ran well and just never suspected them. I will test it again later on tonite and take it on a longer run.

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-02-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I drove the runner hard for about 30 miles and no glowing. Yahoo!!! I tried to weld the exhaust pipe back togther and just boogered it up. My neighbor tried to weld it up for me since my local exhaust shop is closed for the holiday. Hope to get back on this runner as soon as things slow down around here. I will dirve it to work tonite and hope all goes well. That will be a great relief if is does not over heat.
Name:  turbo%203_zpsah1zkgpn.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  38.4 KB

info I will add later.

89661-33070 = unknown
89661-35020 = 85 Std 22RE, 5 speed, w. A/C, Cruise
89661-35050 = 86 Std, sb, 22RET, 5 spd, Non-SR5, No A/C, No Cruise
89661-35050 = 86 22RET Auto, w. A/C
89661-35070 = 86 Std 22RE, 5 speed, no A/C, no Cruise
89661-35070 = 86 4Run, 22REC, 5 spd, SR5, w. A/C, w. Cruise
89661-35110 = 88 Std, sb, 22RE, 5 spd, Non-SR5 No A/C, No cruise

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-05-2015 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Arghh!!! I got half way to work and pulled over to check the manifold. It was glowing red. Let it cool down and took it back to the house. I have asked several local Toyota gurus and even had it at the dealer to check it out. Dealer says it is fine. Yeah right.

I am going to pull the motor out of this runner and install it in my 85 to see if it will glow under the hood there. I will pull the motor out of my 86 and install it into the 88 see if the wiring causes it to glow. I hoping to see if the cherry manifold stays with the 88 or goes to the 85. Atleast that will help me determine where the issue may be at.

I am going on vaction later on this week and I usually use Mistys runner to pull the boat and the 3rd gen runner to pull the camper. I got my work cut out for me to get it all done for vactioning at the lake. I plan on spending half of it at the lake and the other half getting several different projects done when for the other half of my vacation.

Plans are to get the motors swapped around, get Toms painted and tranny/tcase swapped out. I am really hoping it is not in the wiring that is causing the cherry manifold. I can swap the wiring out but that is a total pain in the rear. I am sure Toyota changed the wiring for the tail lights and fuel tank. To change all of the wiring requires the complete interior to be removed. It is a big job I really dont want to get into unless I have to.

I wont let this truck go as it has been my all time favorite truck. Is just fun and comfortable to drive. Other then the cherry manifold issue and not having cruise control I really dont have any complaints. Not sure I would put this much work into another truck other then this one.

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-05-2015 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to hear that you're still having the cherry manifold problem, that's frustrating when you think you've got a problem resolved, and it comes back! Sounds like you have alot of work ahead of you, hope you're able to relax and enjoy your vacation when your done!
Old 07-08-2015, 06:10 AM

Received 208 Likes on 146 Posts
Terry - man I don't know what to say about the cherry manifold. First thought that I had was a clogged cat, but I did a quick scan of the last few pages and I see that can't be the issue. Really seems like you have gone thru all of the most likely causes. I wish I had some good ideas for you.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Cory and Ed.. I have a ton of work involved in that I have not posted. Swapped parts with my 86, run test after test out of the FSM, several other things I cant think of right off. Got two other guys that are good on trucks and they are stumped as well. I have helped two other guys with there trucks and got them running. They were some tough problems but cant seem to get mine going. I have still learned alot so there has been some positive to come from it.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
do you know any one with a wideband O2 you can toss on it, just to check if its running lean?
Old 07-08-2015, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I am going to swap the motor to the pickup and see what symptoms I may come up with. Hopefully I can see if the problem moves to the truck or stays with the runner. I do have a small oil pan leak and a half moon leak I need to take care of. Overall the motor has stayed fairly clean. How some people are able to keep their motors show room perfect is something I have just been unable to abtain.
Name:  swap%206_zpsilqg0o4y.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  42.3 KB

I think it was on my 85 thread I posted I installed AC in the shop. Working in comfortable temperture conditions makes all the difference in the world when working on these trucks. I talked to Cyberhorn a while back on this and we both think some of the problem may be actually running too rich. Normally cherry manifild is from timing to far advanced or running lean. My exhaust ports are coated with soot.
Name:  swap%209_zpsiwjjn72r.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  37.9 KB
Old 07-08-2015, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

do you know any one with a wideband O2 you can toss on it, just to check if its running lean?
What is a wide band O2? Have not heard of one. Where could I get one. I am looking at anything to try and solve this. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I am taking a vacation and am planning on camping out at the lake for a few days. In the mean time I have several projects I want to get wrapped up. Got one mostly done yester day. Swapped the motor from the 88 to my pickup since the motor on it croaked on me. Also I am trying to see what is causing the Cherry Manifold if it is the motor or the wiring/sensors. A lot of work just to trouble shoot it.

Next I am going to put the motor out of my 86 runner and see what results that gives me. I know that motor is great so if it cherrys up on me then I know it is in the wiring and will have to do a wiring swap. I really dont want to have to do that but will if I need to that is a BIG job.

Once get the motor swapped I am pulling Toms in the shop and will get it painted and find out what issue is in the transmission. Once that is done I will get to the 85 orginal motor and start tearing it apart and seeing what its problem is.

Got the motor out and got the engine bay cleaned up. When I first got this runner, I did not have a shop and had to build it in the drive way during the winter time. Now I have a shop and got to clean it up and will paint it when I get back from the lake.
Name:  swap%2014_zpsnlsvnhza.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  45.1 KB

Got the 88s motor in my 85. Hoping to find out if it cherrys up in the truck or not. If it doesnt most likely it is the wiring/sensors. I will be putting my 86 runner motor into the 88 when I get back. A lot of work but only way I really know of finding the issue.
Name:  swap%2013_zpsi9l2bfoc.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  40.4 KB
Old 07-10-2015, 05:13 PM

Received 282 Likes on 191 Posts
Terry .. I had a similar problem with my DD .. 10 years I couldn't figure it out .

I replaced everything .. and I mean everything !! but I used all used parts .
this year my fuel pump finally went . I knew it was my fuel pump , but my CEL code was for the TPS .. so I ended up buying a NEW TPS for $100.00 bucks . anyway ... long story short .. it was my fuel pump causing my issue , but the new TPS cured all of my lousy fuel problems and fuel economy problems ... including over fueling

ohh .. and just to let you know , I tested the old tps .. all of them (about 3) and they ALL tested with in spec as per the Toyota FACTORY repair manual

Old 07-14-2015, 06:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Fantastic job on this 4Runner. I know how aggravating this manifold issue is. Good luck sorting it out.

I do have a quick question for you. How well have the interior parts you painted held up of the years? Do they require occasional touch up, prone to scratching?

I'm looking to buy a 1st gen 4Runner and seeing what you have done with the interior has g given me the confidence to consider some that are in rougher condition.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Innovative makes a wide band that will let you monitor and give normal feed back to the ecu.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Geo Ross... Welcome to Yotatech. Glad to see my thread might get you started on a first gen runner. They are some easy trucks to restore with a little patience and effort. Interior paint is great when the panels are cleaned right, then a coat of Adhesion Promoter and it has to be Interior Paint. It cant be regular paint. My interior is still looking great with the exception of a crack starting in the dash. The door trim where the kids feet scrape it has showed thru but everything else in the truck is still the way I did it about 4 years ago. I still feel like I am driving back in 88 with a new looking truck.

Here is some pics from today. Still have not gotten the seats done.
Name:  ip%203_zpshgnd63yv.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  37.1 KB

Threshold I am talking about.
Name:  ip%202_zpsc0t2hdr8.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  25.2 KB

Here is my 86 runner. If you are having it mixed get three or four cans at the same time. If you can buy an off the shelf brand that is easier to go with.
Name:  ip%201_zpsv2swqo9v.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  29.3 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-14-2015 at 01:06 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cory... I think the fuel pump is about the only thing I havent changed. It seems to be putting out great pressure but that is not with a gauge. I did change the fuel filter just to elminate it. It will be frustrating if that is what it was all the time. I already had the motor swapped by the time I found your post. I think I have a new fuel pump sitting on the shelf and will install it.

Here is what all I have done.
New Denso TPS. I even had the dealer to set it for me.
New Denso O2 Sensor.
New Fuel Filter.

Parts I have tested with the FSM and swapped all parts (not 88 related)with my 86 runner and they ran great on it.

AFM
Cold Start Injector
Water Sensor by the CSI.
Checked Timing.
Removed Catalytic Converter.
New Exhaust Manifold.
Used Cold Start Injector.
Cleaned all carbon from Intake system.
Cleaned and checked/and replaced EGR.
Swapped with 2 other 88 computers.
Swapped in another set of used 88 injectors.

Sent to a 2 local mechanics and they have computers for scanning these.
Sent to Toyota twice for them to solve it.

Thanks for the info, if it was fuel pump, what alot of work I went thru for it. Whew!!!!
Old 07-15-2015, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Innovative makes a wide band that will let you monitor and give normal feed back to the ecu.
Thanks Outsane. I will look into that. If it cherries again when I get done swapping these around, It will be next on the list.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

A sad day for the 86. I got the motor pulled and want to paint it up before sticking it in the 88. Have two leaks I want to take care of before installin it in Mistys truck. I just need two runners and a pick up for now. I will get back on the 87 or the 86 runner at a later time. When I started the 86 runner build it was kind of embarrassing on how bad it was. I am really glad how it turned out and all the things I learned on it. It has been a great truck. It wont be going to the scrapper or anything. Just got to use it to help figure out what is wrong with the 88. From what it was till what it is now is a big transformation.

Name:  ip%204_zpsjk1nezzd.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  47.2 KB

I am starting to get the motor painted. Will be doing the valve cover later and waiting for the pan gasket to set up before installing it.
Name:  swap%2017_zpsmtztcdii.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  40.8 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-16-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Yahoo wont let me post pictures and I cant get them to Photobucket. I did get the motor in Mistys truck. Still learned a few things on it. On start up I got code 52, Knock Sensor, I knew the KS was good but got to looking at them and they are different from 86-88 so swapped them out and solved that problem.

Another thing is the hose that goes from the Throttle Body to the AC valve ( I think that is the name of it), the hose connections are different sizes. I still need to swap that valve out. Will do it later. It is hot outside. Taking 3 showers a day trying to get the trucks done and to cool off. I come in the house just drenched.

I did have another issue. I had bought a new Denso Throttle Position Sensor for Misty truck and did not swap it over to the motor I put in hers. I had some idle problems. Once I swapped it over it seems to be running great. I will check tonight when it gets dark and see if it still cherries up at night.

I really am starting to think it was a fuel pump issue all along. Corey mentioned it after I had already started the swap. I had about 10 gallons of fuel in the tank so I jumperd Fp and +B and let it run out of fuel. I am sure I seen it slow down in fuel speed after a few minutes.

Other then Corey mentioning the fuel pump, I had never found or suspected the fuel pump. The truck ran great the whole time and never act like it was starving for fuel. I will eventually mention this on the Cherry Manifold Thread.

If it was the fuel pump, it would of saved me a tons of work. Even Toyota dealer did not catch it.

I also agree with Corey, even if a TPS passes test, they can still be bad. They do cost about $100 but solves other issues down the road. Something that I just wont skimp on when it comes to the TPS.

My vacation is over. I go back to work tonight. Did not get near as much done as I wanted to. I would be out in the shop from 3am til about 10 am and it was just to hot. I am going to try to get a few hours in after work each morning before the heat kicks in. It is going to take me 2 months to get back in to the swing of working again. I am so ready for retirement. 11 more years to go. I know some guys that retired and went back to work cause they were bored. What??? Not that they need the money, just bored. Still trying to figure that one out. I got plenty to keep me busy.

Here it is in. So far so good. Will test tonite.
Name:  swap%2018_zps5jqlep5i.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  41.4 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-19-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Well I did not get to test drive it. Toyota changed the connectors to the computer and fuel pump so that was a set back. No way was I just going to cut off the plugs and wire in the correct plugs. I had to pull everything out to swap the correct harnesses in from the tail light and fuel pump. A friend told me it would take about 40 hours to do the complete swap. I did not think so but even at this stage to get everything finished back up to where it should be I have 30 hours and figure 10 more to do get it complete to the way I want it to be.

Motor out of my 86 is mostly in and about 2 more hours to go to finish the front end up.
Name:  swap%2024_zpsiagarnge.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  44.2 KB

Seats and side panels had to come out to get the harness in. I atleast got this part finished. After four years of driving it nearly every day except for the last 6 months, it is still looking great in the back half. Would like to find some front seats to match the rear. One day I will get the seats all reupholstered.
Name:  swap%2025_zpsyawruikt.jpg
Size:  31.4 KB

Couple of more hours to go to have the dash all complete. It has been hot here and even with AC in the shop it still gets too hot to work. First time I have been in the shop in a while. I do not like winter at all but when I am in the shop and the stove is going, it is starting to become my favorite time of the year.

I really like how the front of the interior has been holding up. The trunk still looks great as well.
Name:  swap%2023_zpszmhqqlhg.jpg
Size:  30.0 KB

While I had her dash out, I also cleaned the evaporator. It was dirty as most are. This truck even has the better screens in the cowl. Will eventually be installing a ventless cowl in front of the windshield. I have seen some ask about getting air thru the system with the ventless cowl. It can draw air around the wiper blade studs and thru the drain holes on the cowl.

This part is now cleaned. More information on how to clean it https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...trucks-286766/
Name:  swap%2020_zps5drw8l8o.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  37.1 KB

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread