86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Love side of the road finds. Good work on those bushings! Hopefully your cherry manifold is a thing of the past!
Old 09-03-2014, 06:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^X2 nice find! The only things I find on the road is junk that didn't quite make it to the dump...or road kill, lol.

I hear you on the chopsaw, I've been abusing my trusty Makita grinder for about 12yrs, I've built 2 flatbeds and my off road trailer project with it. It always comes down to buy a chop saw or buy steel for the next project, lol. The collapsable engine cherry picker would be nice, oh and a transmission jack....the wish list could go on forever
Old 09-04-2014, 06:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I love finding stuff like that!! There was a nice craftsman straight screwdriver on the road last night, but was right in the middle of the intersection. Wife started yelling at me when I started to slow down to hang out and grab it. haha needless to say I had to pass on it.

I think walmart is a decent place to get tires. Anymore, I typically buy the tires and put them on myself. As I have had alot of trouble with these 18+ something kids that are working in the tire shops. Tires come out not balanced, mixed air pressures, break sensors, etc...

However, I would not be able to do that if I did not have access to a tire machine and balancer.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:49 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
LOL^^^ I found a Phillips screw driver that way. That was an expensive screwdriver. The tire shop said they had never pulled a screw driver out of a tire. I dont want any more screw drivers like that one. lol
i found one in my radiator about 10 miles into a test drive after replacing a water pump in my old Tahoe. Very expensive
Old 09-05-2014, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello habanero... I am hoping the cherry manifold is a thing of the past. So far so good. Still got me a little nervous but I think the AFM, hose, and O2 should of fixed it. I changed the plugs on my 3rd Gen and all went well until the very last plug and the boot stuck to the plug and ripped in half. The truck is down until my new plug wires get here in the mail. Wish I knew the 3.4 as well as you do. Probably a 15 minute job for you took me 45 minutes.

Hello Ed... I do have a transmission jack and that is a nice tool to have. A friend of mine has a regular lift and that really spoiled me. It takes me 4 hours to change a clutch if all goes well but 6 hours is the norm. When we changed the clutch in her truck, we had it out in 45 minutes and back in with in an hour. It was right at 2 hours and that was with both of us working on it and we weren't trying to go fast. Putting in the starter was so much easier too. Probably not getting a lift but that would be so nice. The list goes on.

Hello Gizzler00.. I am all the time stopping and getting things. I get the evil eye as well when she is with me and we are on the road. lol A lot of places don't have experienced people any more and that does get frustrating. If it isn't in the computer, they don't know how to look it up in a manual. I did go thru some frustrations getting the back set of tires put on but I was patient as the kid was trying to do his best.

Hello dropzone... I pulled a bone headed move on her truck. I was checking the timing for the cherry manifold. I had the ratchet and socket on the crank shaft bolt setting TDC and left it on there when starting it up. I checked everything before starting but forgot the ratchet. When I cranked it up and heard a clunk, I knew what it was. Took me 30 minutes to find the ratchet and socket. It got thrown in between the shroud and radiator. I dodged a bullet on that one. Just did that one recently.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got the rear tires on her truck today so she is good all the way around and she is liking how it rides with the new ones on it. It has always rode nice and I really didnt think it would make much improvement but it did help some.

I ordered two bushings from partsgeek.com, I thought ordering 2 was 2 pair, Instead I got 2 bushings. Urghhh!!! I got the bushings in and am waiting for then other two to show up now. Pressed them back in and it went well.

Name:  IMG_20140906_015001_zps0ydtjlab.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  273.3 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-01-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey terry, nice work,those bushings look like a bear to replace.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:06 PM

subscribed i haven't been on this site for quite sometime, but I'll tag-a-long for this ride....Great work!!
Old 10-15-2014, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Chris...They can be a work out. I still need to get them on. It will hopefully happen soon.

Hello buckz6319... Thanks, this has been a great truck. Still have some things that I want to do to it such as getting the seats recovered and some odds and ends. It is a long way from where it was. It was worse then what the pictures looked like. It is still my favorite truck. Just a fun little truck. Still makes me smile seeing it and when I do get to drive it. Currently I am neck deep into an 85 pickup.
Trying to get it on the road here soon I hope.

In a couple of weeks I will be going thru another runner for a guy. It will be getting paint and just several of the things that get over looked on these trucks. I should be getting it on the 22nd of this month. It wont be as big of a job as I normally tie into but still will be a fairly good size job. I will try and it get on it and get it done as quickly as possible. We will see how it goes.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:32 PM

Hello Chris...They can be a work out. I still need to get them on. It will hopefully happen soon.

Hello buckz6319... Thanks, this has been a great truck. Still have some things that I want to do to it such as getting the seats recovered and some odds and ends. It is a long way from where it was. It was worse then what the pictures looked like. It is still my favorite truck. Just a fun little truck. Still makes me smile seeing it and when I do get to drive it. Currently I am neck deep into an 85 pickup.
Trying to get it on the road here soon I hope.

In a couple of weeks I will be going thru another runner for a guy. It will be getting paint and just several of the things that get over looked on these trucks. I should be getting it on the 22nd of this month. It wont be as big of a job as I normally tie into but still will be a fairly good size job. I will try and it get on it and get it done as quickly as possible. We will see how it goes.
your welcome even though I got rid of the worse Toyota I EVER OWNED 1995 runner 4x4 3.0crap!!. I have a timing belt replacement (using that 4runner)with lots of picks still hosted, so the thread remains to help others

I like the Toyota Hilux trucks, heck I work on my Bosses all the time..he is the original owner of a 1988 Toyota 4x4 5speed with 217,000 on the clock.

It is a nice original truck except for all the parts I have replaced, recently just did both half shafts, front shocks and damper, last saturday. In the early spring I replaced his rotors, calipers, pads, locking hub studs, cleaned the free wheel locking mechanism, replaced the master cylinder.

The truck blew a main fuse on Monday because of a just purchased brand new alternator that my Boss replaced, however the alternator was bad, as soon as he hooked up the power + to the battery it blew the 80A main fuse. We couldn't locate another, so I got an 80A resettable fuse block for him with a Batt & Aux terminal, and explained to my Boss how to hook it up, after he replaces the bad alternator with a known good alternator. He sent me a text pic of the yota running again. I was proud that he could do this repair, and he is happy she is back on the road again....great trucks they are...

I wish I could get my hands on a Surf Diesel, but they are scares round here, but if one in my area comes available. I will be the first in line to check it out:}

Keep up the good work. It's nice to see the older yotas come back to LIFE!! IMO still the best trucks on the market, besides a turbo Cummins Diesel. I'm kinda partial to those too

Gosh! I need to buy myself anoth yota 4x4...just talking about them again makes my mouth water, and heart pound
Old 11-21-2014, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello buckz6319... Great job on getting your bosses truck back on the road. I have been having my alternators rebuilt at a local shop. I have had several problems with part stores rebuilts. They are done in Mexico and have been done poorly out of the box. The local shops are getting hard to find but they are usually done by the older guys that know their jobs with lots of experience.

These little trucks are great but the biggest reason I like them is that I can work on them with out sending them to the shop. Once you get the issues worked out of them, they are dependable. I have cut my car expenses way down by going to these trucks. When I owned domestics, they were way higher. I still run into issues but usually something I didnt take care of the first time I tore a truck down.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

She went to work the other day and got the click, click. I have replaced the starter contacts, cables, battery, cleaned the starter relay contacts, and new cables. Ray has run into this issue and I talked to him and he showed me that the starter circuit runs everywhere instead of straight to the starter. I did his upgrade on my 86 and neverh ave gotten the click only start again.

I did the same thing on her truck and it fires up each time now.
Name:  electricupgrade2_zps57990646.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  42.3 KB

Another electric upgrade I got from Ray was to run the battery ground to the headlight ground. It has to help to shorten the path for the headlight ground. I just extended the battery ground to the headlight ground. When I do one upgrade to one truck, I try and do it another truck. I got it done to my 85 and will do it to my 86 runner later on.
Name:  electricupgrade1_zps676dbde6.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  25.9 KB
Old 11-21-2014, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I did get a TPS error on her truck fairly recently. I had been suspecting it of starting to get worn as it has 320k miles on it. I got a TPS on order and setting the TPS is a real pain so ordered 2 screws from 4crawler. They are allen screws so that will make setting the TPS so much easier. Do not like dealing with the TPS. Hope to get the parts in the mail soon and get it back to the way it was.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:31 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey buddy.... Just wanted to once again share the shop by me that the ship and also does have an eBay store. He will take them and turn stock Toyota alternators into 130 amp beauties for fairly cheap. That's all they do... They obviously do stock as well but that's where I got mine -> ace alternators.....

http://acealternators.com
Old 11-24-2014, 02:33 PM

Hello buckz6319... Great job on getting your bosses truck back on the road. I have been having my alternators rebuilt at a local shop. I have had several problems with part stores rebuilts. They are done in Mexico and have been done poorly out of the box. The local shops are getting hard to find but they are usually done by the older guys that know their jobs with lots of experience.

These little trucks are great but the biggest reason I like them is that I can work on them with out sending them to the shop. Once you get the issues worked out of them, they are dependable. I have cut my car expenses way down by going to these trucks. When I owned domestics, they were way higher. I still run into issues but usually something I didnt take care of the first time I tore a truck down.
thanks! Terry. I agree with you bout the alternator issues. The so called " Mom & Pop" shops are few and far between these days, everything is done on production, and instant gratification, such as buying a part at the auto parts store instantly. I like quality products, but seems like most everything produced today is " limited use " then trash it, and buy another...

I agree with the yota's being dependable and would purchase another if I had the cash to do so, probably sell my boat in a few years, and buy another yota!

I'm going to keep a close eye on your rebuild/refurbish thread...good work!
Old 12-01-2014, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Mark...I got that link marked and my next alternator will be coming from them. It will be nice to see the alternator gauge not moving every time I turn on the blinker. Toyota was a little behind the time of electric back when these trucks came out.

Hello buckz6319... I will keep an eye out for a thread from you when you get back in to Toyotas. I will say for old as these trucks are, there is going to be issues no matter what kind of condition it is in. Even trucks that are in great condition that I have seen or owned in the past have several issues. Any more now I just look for one with a great body and frame and just get prepared to go thru it from one end to the other. One reason I like to do projects instead of doing daily drivers. You can take your time and work out he issues. I try to keep the first pages of my builds with each fix that I find listed on the first post of the build. I will be going and updating some of them in the near future as it will be to cold to be out side.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Misty has been driving the 3rd gen as her leg has been giving her problems and I am still working on some idling issue with her runner. I have several old TPS and some test bad and the others are just worn out. I learned on the 86 extra cab I did a while back that it is just easiest to replace the TPS. It is a pain in the rear to get it set correct but her truck has 320k miles on it and I am sure the TPS has millions of cycles on it so just ordered a new TPS.

I also ordered the allen screws from 4Crawler and he shipped them fast. Even before I was able to exit out of my email to him, I had a response from Roger. He is quick with responses and shipping. I would highly recommend him. Looking forward to getting the TPS on my next days off and hope to get her runner back to normal.

Name:  tps1_zps5be769fc.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  18.3 KB
Old 12-02-2014, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great thread!! Just "finished" it and I'm amazed at the wealth of knowledge present on this forum!!

On my "new to me" 89 4Runner - I am amazed at how many issues can be solved by correctly adjusting the TPS. I just did mine and got rid of a hunting/surging maintenance throttle cruise, improved my fuel mileage and I swear it even helped my transmission shifts.

Anyway - just wanted to say thanks for all the great info!! Look forward to continuing to follow!

Jon
Old 12-02-2014, 08:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cant wait to see how that TPS performs Terry. I really need to get a new one of those.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Jdholder... Welcome to Yotatech. Glad to hear you enjoyed reading my build. I remember when I first got in to Toyotas and trying to find information so I try to put it where I can find it easily. I need to do some more updating as I still learn something on these. I did recently update my 85 build just need to get the rest of them done. I wish I had your luck on the TPS, it is giving me heck.

Hello Mark.. I am hoping to get to the TPS this week. I have tried to adjust one in the past and some make it sound easy but it isn't for me. I really am not liking the TPS. I am hoping it solves several issues for me as well. Her truck has 320k miles on it and I am sure her old TPS is just worn out.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread