86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I put in a new O2 Sensor from Denso and that did not fix the Cherry Manifold like suggested in this thread https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...nifold-196774/ Not sure what is going on with it. It just started doing it.

Here is what is done so far.
I removed the catalytic converter a few years ago, so that isn't causing any issues.
Installed a new O2 Sensor.
I have the EGR blocked off.
I ran test codes and it is flashing all 1's which is what it should flash.
I checked the Timing at 5BTDC.
My valves are quite, I have not checked them but it still runs great and am sure they are still within specifications. I will be rechecking them soon just to rule out the valves.

What I did do was to advance the Timing to 8BTDC instead of 5 degrees to allow more time for the exhaust valve to be closed for the fire to be out before it gets to the manifold and it seems like the manifold doesn't get as red.

Now I am suspecting that the TPS is could be an issue. Not something I am real excited about changing out. That is a royal pain in the rear to adjust. Still looking for other issues that could be causing the Cherry Manifold. I have seen several things mentioned in the above thread but no complete answer.

The truck runs great and has plenty of power and I don't know what has changed that is causing this. One reason I advanced the timing is wondering if the Timing Chain is stretching. I have about 62k miles on the chain now since getting it running. I have 319,845 miles on the odometer. Cant see the chain stretching this soon.

Further searching suggest AFM as a possibility. Makes sense to me so will give that a try as well.

Engine Builders Suggestions
1. Late ignition timing, either initial or failing to advance as engine speed increases.

2. Intake air leak, lean mixture.

3. Late cam (valve timing)

4. Exhaust air leak, (air being sucking into the exhaust stream) normally combined with a rich mixture. Cracked exhaust manifold, *Often on the back side and not visible without removal (Use a dentist's mirror?)

5. Base tuning settings, sensor error?

6. Plugged Cat, restricted exhaust

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/minutemods/afm/

I may have found the problem. It has a cracked hose and had slid down far enough to let the gap be bigger.
Name:  IMG_20140824_081047_zpszus9sj5b.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  247.2 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-24-2014 at 06:50 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

And the joys keep coming. Coming home from work I ran over something and slashed the side of the side wall and ruined the tire or it blew out but not sure which, luckily I was only going 20 mph when it went flat.

I was telling another member awhile back that I keep a 4 way wrench inside the spare tire and he liked that idea. This time I was glad to have a 4 way as the lug wrench Toyota provides just doesnt give you enough leverage to break some of the nuts. Using the wrench Toyota provided I could not break one loose. I also keep a jack in with the spare tire. One in the tire and one in the normal storage location. I have 2 spare jacks and just to get them out of shop that is where I keep them. When keeping a jack in the spare, I just wrap it with a trash bag to keep it dry. This jack worked great on the road.

With a little creativity you can keep a jack and 4 way under the spare and make it work. You can get smaller 4 way wrenchs that would fit in better as well.
Name:  IMG_20140824_092131_zpslk7jgzz5.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  379.4 KB

Dont be a dumb butt like I just did. I have spares for both runners. Luckily I was the one driving Mistys on the way home. The rim I had is a 6 bolt and I just assumed it was for a Toyota. The center of the wheel would not go over her hub assembly. I do about a month or so make sure they have air in them, but never checked to see that it actually fit on her hub. I had Misty to bring my runner and had to use it for her spare.
Name:  IMG_20140824_094301_zpswxdbcog3.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  312.4 KB

The lug wrench on the right is what comes in Toyota tool kit and just not enough leverage. I will add the 4 way under the spare tire to my Tool, Tips, and Tricks.
Name:  IMG_20140824_095403_zpsmz3mehwy.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  450.4 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-24-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry for your misfortune terry. Glad you didn't get hurt having it happen an a higher speed.

I like the idea with the 4way and jack.

I started carrying a 1/2" drive 18" breaker bar with the appropriate socket a long time ago.

Never had any luck with the factory stuff
Old 08-29-2014, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Mark...These old trucks there is always something going on with them. I cant complain as I havent really had to do much work to her truck and I have been needing to get tires on hers for sometime. I was just hoping to get by til right before winter so as to have maximum traction and get these tires wore down a little more as there is still some tread on them. The 4 way lug wrench saved my butt. I mentioned to Jason where I kept it at and he really liked the idea. Hope it helps someone out.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I worked on Mistys today. Still not sure what is causing the Cherry Manifold and hope I got it fixed. I installed my 85s AFM and replaced the cracked hose. I will check it when it gets dark and see if I got it fixed. If not, it could be the TPS which after my last go around with a TPS issue I am a little leary now. Hoping the AFM or hose did the trick. Timing is good so really dont know what else it could be.
Name:  IMG_20140829_143528_zpsdk0rrgrr.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  217.8 KB
Old 08-30-2014, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I ran test on Mistys 88 AFM and it failed 3 of the 5 resistance checks miserably. I have had two bad AFMs lately and two have passed the test with flying colors. Other then the cherry manifold, it ran great and I have not exposed the AFMs to water so not sure why hers went bad all of a sudden. Never had to deal with an AFM failure in the past. At least I found a problem so that makes me feel a little better that I may have gotten fixed. Still haven't taken it on a test drive to see. That will be when I am confident that I got it fixed. Changing the O2 sensor probably did not fix it but it was needed anyways and finding the hole in the air hose is just that much closer to getting it a more solid truck so it isn't all bad.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the afm + o2 + the hose, easy to see the ecm getting erroneous info an causing overheating of the manifold terry
Old 09-01-2014, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn... I am hoping I got it fixed. I do have a small exhaust leak at the "Y" pipe and the manifold so will be working on that soon. Think I will go ahead and get her a new TPS as hers has 320k miles on it and sure it is original.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I am learning slowly about doing the bushings on these trucks. I have done some in the past but not on Toyotas and it has been so long ago. I have a spare set of Lower Control Arms so am doing what I do know. Got them cleaned and start pressing out the bushing. Eventually will be going on Mistys Runner.

Here I used a socket on the small end of the bushing to press it out. I used a socket on the small end. I dont have a socket large enough to cover the big end. I used a Chain Link Fence piece as a spacer and I can see what is going on.
Name:  IMG_20140901_081032_zps48uyutik.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  283.7 KB

After tightening the vise, I would hit the moving end of the vise with a rubber hammer to help tighten it and then tighten the vise again. I should of soaked the bushing with PB Blaster, that would of helped. I seen on the net where some burn the rubber out. Here is where a press would be nice but I used what I got.

Bushing is out. Just 3 more to go. Redneck engiuity but it worked. Socket is in the bearing holder.
Name:  IMG_20140901_081432_zpscirspygh.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  273.0 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-01-2014 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:49 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Great idea on pressing that bushing out Terry, I had to break down and get a press to do my transmission on the camry. Got a harbor freight 20 ton for $130 out the door because the gal let me use a 20% coupon on top of my other coupon. I was really hesitant on spending the money but I think I'll make my money back after doing my control arms and some other stuff.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Grego.. A press is on the list. It will pay for itself quickly just in making a job easier to do. You will probably be surprised just how much you do use it.I am hoping to get the parts that I got off you onto her truck soon. Thanks for sending them to me.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I applied pressure to the bushings and would start getting the bolts cleaned up and just while I was away, a couple of times the bushing just popped right out. Just letting it sit and time doing the work it was an easy job.
Name:  IMG_20140902_011830_zpsmimsbqom.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  274.3 KB

I had about an hour total in getting these bushings out. I will keep the old bushings and throw them into a 5 gallon bucket that I keep small junk like that in and eventually haul it to scrap. You would be surprised at how quick some of this scrap stuff adds up. All that goes into the shop or a build. Got the Lower Controls Arms ready. They say pressing them back in is easier to do. I cleaned the bushing holders with some sand paper and I think I will add some silicone to help them slide in. I have some Energy Suspension Bushing somewhere that I need to find as I have been reorganizing and now cant remember where I put them.

Ready to be reassembled.
Name:  IMG_20140902_015124_zpse1ohcqpa.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  255.6 KB
Old 09-01-2014, 11:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
nice work on the pressing out the bushings!

A press is on my wishlist also. I live about 70 miles from the nearest Harbor Freight store, so I can save a lot on shipping cost by going and picking one up.....someday, lol.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:54 AM

terry them look new off the assembly line

you suuuure your not got some overseas container with brand new parts in it buried in the back yard ??? gives ya the suspicious eye O..o LOL
Old 09-02-2014, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice job on the bushings!!that looked like a decent challenge,I figured you have mastered the art of tuning in the t.p.s by now!!!I haven't...
Old 09-02-2014, 06:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
It's definitely nice to have access to a press. I don't realize how spoiled I am sometimes.

It usually takes a weekend job of beating on stuff in my driveway to remember
Old 09-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Ed... A press, chop saw, welder, and a collapsable cherry picker is going to happen as soon as possible. I have a non collapseable cherry picker and it takes up to much room. The wish list is growing.

Hello Cyberhorn...I wish I had a connex full of parts. I have tons of the stuff I dont need and non of what I do need. What I do have sure comes in handy and I have used things I thought I would never use. All 3 trucks I parted, nothing that was good went to waste and some of the bad stuff was used to learn on or take two bad pieces to make one.

Hello Chris... For the amount of time I spent on the TPS, I really dont feel I learned anything that I didnt know before. A friend of mine and me spent 7 hours one day and 4 hours another day determined to figure it out. He has run into that problem in the past as well. I have countless hours on the web and swapping parts. The TPS scares me a little now. I will be swapping Mistys out in the near future and not looking forward to it.

Hello Mark.. I made due with out a lot of tools at one time and some how managed. Now that I have several, I wonder how I did do it. A lot of the time it was a work out. I am a pro with hacksaw. Sure like my cutters now. Electricity is still a small reward everytime I flip the light switch in the shop. Its little things in life.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

We went and put a new set of shoes on the front end of her runner. I was trying to hold off right until the early winter but her tires were getting worn. I got them from WalMart, and I normally like getting mine from Sears but the nearest Sears is quite aways from me. They have the warranty and since I only live about 20 mile from their headquarters, I have Walmarts everywhere. They only had 2 tires so will get 2 more this Friday.

Tomorrow I have to go 100 miles to get an injector harness for my 85. I do a lot of traveling at night and have gotten my warranty worth out of WalMart. I ruined 2 tires on the 3rd gen not long ago traveling at night when I hit a piece of angle iron.

Since the first of the year she has gotten a new clutch, O2 sensor, AFM, 2 tires, and I am going to let her have all of my front suspension parts that I got for my 86. Since the first of the year hers has been getting in better shape and it is starting to really starting to make a difference. It has always been descent to drive and it is really making mine feel that much worse. Mine will catch up soon to it. Just want to get the 85 moving.

New front shoes. Wranglers 31's.
Name:  IMG_20140903_192003_zpst01w5c1j.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  271.1 KB

I found this on the road. One of the tools that is on my wish list. It is the ratcheting wrench. I just bought several 13mm wrenches a while back and that is what this one is. It has some scuff marks from sliding down the highway and is where I found it. Misty was wondering why I was stopping and was thinking it was just a cheap wrench. It is a GM Performance Parts wrench. Now if I could find my scuffed up welder, chop saw... lol, Works Great!!!
Name:  IMG_20140903_192337_zps7gewrc3b.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  185.0 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-03-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:07 PM

well you found a good one there terry
i still have a 9/16's wrench i found after it stabbed through the tread of my old chevy's tire lol
Old 09-03-2014, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

LOL^^^ I found a Phillips screw driver that way. That was an expensive screwdriver. The tire shop said they had never pulled a screw driver out of a tire. I dont want any more screw drivers like that one. lol

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread