86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
The mail man was good to me today. Got my SR5 Guage today.Will probably be a while before I put it in, as I am getting the boat and camper ready for next weekend, so that will be slowing down the funds for my 88.

One of the reasons for me doing the body work is sand paper and bondo is cheap. I also have tons of elbow grease for free so I will still make steady progress.

Tomorrow is my day off and I have a few errands to run and plan on getting an early start on them so I can get back on doing the bodywork. Hoping the weather holds up as I would like to get a whole day done on it.
Name:  SR5Guage.jpg
Views: 1599
Size:  18.5 KB
Old 04-14-2011, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

May not look like much, but I was able to get about 6 hours in and got two big areas and about 12 little door dings. Starting from the tail light and working forward. Around the gas tank isnt finished and below it is some pinholes that need touched up.

After I got done we got a pea size hail storm. I will have to see if there is further damage. This is the worst side. I still need to do alot more sanding and priming, but the dents are going away. May look like a lot of bondo, but iti is in thin layers.

2 big dents and 12 small ones
Name:  Finishedfortheday.jpg
Views: 1590
Size:  29.7 KB

The gas tank area is the biggest problem but about got it done.
Name:  Bigareas.jpg
Views: 1614
Size:  29.6 KB
Old 04-15-2011, 04:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lookin good man, just keep that plastic filler thin as a nickle and youll be fine, if you need more than than that use cat hair fiberglass then skim over with plastic, use as long a sanding board as you can so you dont get waives in it, and then sand and sand and sand lol. anyway looks good like I said looks good.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Jason. I have it really thin. The deepest is about a nickel or a little more. So far I havent needed cathair and have never used it and wont need to on this one.

Most of the dents have been shopping cart or door dings. It looks like a lot of filler. I just got one priming and sanding on most of it. But on the backend I did do a couple of coats of priming and sanding and it hid the filler really well.

Once I get this side done it should go quicker as this is the worse side. But since I started on this side I have found a few more. So I may have a surprise waiting for me on the other side.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:59 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
The mail man was good to me today. Got my SR5 Guage today.Will probably be a while before I put it in...

Nice find! I've been searching for these...if you don't mind where to you find it? The ones on Ebay seem to be almost $150 lately, they were closer to $75 about a year ago I should've snatched one up then!

GREAT JOB on your bodywork!
Old 04-15-2011, 06:03 AM

Everytime I look at mine I find a new dent LOL.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello 86 Toy.. I PMed you on the info for the cluster. Any questions, feel free to ask. If you do the swap, make sure and get the Oil Sending unit. It is around $30 dollars from a parts store. Thanks for the compliment on the body work. Like your truck, always thought that was a sharp body style.

Jason, I know what you mean on the dents just keep popping up. Seems like I am finding quite a few. They arent big or deep at all but alot of them. What would you suggest to get the blue paint off of the tailgate? I could sand it or use paint stripper, just not sure which way I want to go to remove it.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I was checking up on some threads I have been following (Jason,Rob,Twisted, and 8t8 and a few others I may have forgotten to mention) to name a few and I seen everyone is getting slowed down with other matters in life as is the same thing here.

Just wanted to let everyone I appreciate you guys checking in, as it helps me keep my build updated and reason to keep get something done.

It does get complicated at times. Wife is wanting the garden tiller fixed and I have tried and it is kicking my butt,lawn and getting the mower fixed, toilet is leaking, and my clutch pedal just went out on my flatbed, it is leaking somewhere. Havent looked to see if it is the master cylinder or if it is down a the clutch cylinder itself (names probably not right).

Just wanted to thank you and I will keep checking on your builds. Hang in there, your project will eventually get completed. After everything else gets done, it does make it more rewarding when you do finally get the chance to work on your project
Old 04-16-2011, 02:06 AM

Terry IMO I wouldn't strip the tail gate sand it good put 1 or 2 extra coats of primer to give a good base. You might want to ask around but that's my opinion.sorry to hear that life is snagging you to. But that's why we call them projects, the things we do after life. I need to quit reading other threads I Just keep finding more stuff I wanna do lol
Old 04-16-2011, 02:09 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
I agree Terry....lots of life gets in the way of things we "want" to do.....have the "need to do" list that gets priority.

really want to get going on Joe's 4runner again, seems so hard to get back into it considering all that needs to be done...but I just have to follow my own advice of my analogy of eating an elephant 1 bite at a time.

bodywork looks good Terry.....not my favorite thing to do, but definitely a great skill to have. I've done bondo on his and mine and even though I really don't know the durability of my work, it looks pretty sweet for now.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:59 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hello 86 Toy.. I PMed you on the info for the cluster. Any questions, feel free to ask. If you do the swap, make sure and get the Oil Sending unit. It is around $30 dollars from a parts store. Thanks for the compliment on the body work. Like your truck, always thought that was a sharp body style.
Thanks! I PM'd you back. Enjoying your build!
Old 04-17-2011, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I had a good day yesterday. Got the Passenger side all done, finished the top part of the door and front fender.

Name:  DonewithPassside.jpg
Views: 1606
Size:  26.2 KB

Then I started on the hood. I actually got it finished, just no pictures of it completed. Had 4 or 5 small dings on the hood, so it went well.

Name:  Hoodstarted.jpg
Views: 1592
Size:  12.7 KB

I looked at the drivers side and couted about 7 dings so far that will need to be taken care of. If all goes well tomorrow I will be finished with the body work. Just got to do several layers of sanding and priming. Dont know how long it will take to save up and get to paint it. But yesterday went really well for me. Some days I get quite a bit done and others, seems like I am sitting still.

I cant find any dings on the cab and the drivers side really doesnt have much at all. But that is what I thought on the passenger side so will have to wait and see.

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-17-2011 at 03:58 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Whats got accomplished so far.

New/used gas tank and fuel pump.
New head gasket.
Fixed the bright lights with new headlight switch.
Half way got the tail gate working for now. Still got to get it working right...Done

Still to do

Alignment......................................... Done
Transfer case wont go to low
Tail gate..........................................Done
Going to put sound mat on the floor......Done
Have the SR5 Guage...........................Done
Interior
Brakes need work

This is the short list, there is plenty more, but is what I want to try and get done next.

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-07-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
body work looks good, i would do mine but i know im just gonna beat it up so im fine with it.

cant wait to see the whole truck done and painted.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:10 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Jason.. I think you are right on leaving the blue on. I dont think paint ever really sticks as well as the factory and it wont be to deep since it is the orginal. Some of the dings went quick and others not so much. Looking forward to you getting home and making some progress.

Hello 92..It does take patience doing bodywork, it is something I found I enjoyed later in life, probably earlier in life, I wouldnt have had the patience. I hear you one the one bite. I still have several bites to go. But I like to look at each step as an accomplishment to getting this done.

When it is all done, I can say it something I got to make instead of buying. I tried that route and the payments last alot longer then intial joy. If you look at my album, you will see some others I have done. They were in rough shape.

How many miles you got since you done your rebuild? You still have a couple of years for Joe to get his license. Take it easy and keep it fun when you have the time. Those teenage years down the road can be a little rough and maybe this can help bridge the gap then. You know how to put a sense of humor in your builds.

Hey Twisted.. I seen you got it running yesterday. I will be checking in later again today.I like the factory stripes yours has. I would like to come up with something to set mine off a little. I am going back to white as I dont want to paint door jams and under the hood.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:12 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got the Drivers Side done. Not near the amount of dents to work with. The bodywork is done. Now I just have a ton of sanding and priming to do.

Name:  Driversidedone.jpg
Views: 1574
Size:  19.8 KB
Old 04-18-2011, 03:18 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got a coat of primer on just to cover up the spots for now. I did a quick sand and coat to see how things looked liked. I only seen one small spot that needs to be reworked. Still have a long ways to go. I still need to remove the pinstripes and apparently it had some factory stripes that the PO didnt finish taking off.

Name:  Primered.jpg
Views: 1591
Size:  23.0 KB
Old 04-18-2011, 07:30 AM

Looking good terry
Old 04-19-2011, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Jason.. I have never painted fiberglass. I am refering to the top. Im guessing you prep it about the same way? I probably wont paint it when I paint the body, but will buy extra paint for it so I can have it matched with the same paint mix.

Still deciding what color of white to paint and a stripe or something. Been digging on the internet and other builds here, trying to get ideas. I will be going with white as I dont want to have to change colors on door jams and under hood.

I guessing 2 or 3 weeks before I get to paint, depending on how the funds and prep work go.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I was working on the bumper and found out where the wasp were coming from last fall when working on the head.
Name:  wasp-1.jpg
Views: 1628
Size:  46.3 KB

Got a little bit done yesterday. I will replace the bumper and everything later on, but wanted to
make the front look as best as I could. Still have some more work to do on it but it is better
than it was.

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-28-2011 at 01:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread