86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 10:03 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
GREAT TRIP!!!! thanks for sharing, buddy! Man I miss fishing with pops....
Old 07-07-2013, 02:31 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello cyberhorn...I like catfish, but crappie is my favorite. Dont get nearly as big but is a whole lot better eating. I had cardboard everywhere to keep from scratching her bumper. Trying to get hers looking as new as possible and every little thing helps.

Thanks Mark...I try to spend a lot of time with them and hope that when I get old and senile that they will still want something to do with me then. I dont get to spend as much time with my dad as I would like as well. Time flies by.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:37 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got Mistys bumper on. She helped and is happy to see her truck a step closer to being in better shape then it was. Will wait til tomorrow to get some better pics of it, but it made it look alot better and am glad to finally get rid of the dings she had in her truck for sometime now. I worked the dents out the best as I could on her old bumper and will be putting it on my 86 here soon.

I also did some detailing on the front end of her truck. She is wanting the rest of the truck done but I was running out of time. I also got to do some work on the 86 Extra Cab. Some work went slow and other things went like it should. Felt good to make a little progress on the trucks. Havent got to in quite sometime.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Here is Marks bumper on her truck. She was happy to see an excellent bumper on it. Today is her birthday so I spent a little time buffing and shining it up for her. Spent quite a few hours just on the front end of it where all of the bugs and such were at.
Name:  bumper17_zps6a47e87d.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  63.2 KB
Old 07-07-2013, 11:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
another wonderful 4runner rear end by Terry Inc. regpatoff LOL

please wish her a happy birthing day from all of us here on yota tech terry im sure others will chime in soon

never had crappie, during my time down SE Texas bass catfish crawdads red snapper shrimp alligator yes
Old 07-07-2013, 12:16 PM

WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MISTY!

Hope you like the rump-armor! Hehehe...

That looks great Terry! For a minute I thought you meant clean the bugs out of the front side of that bumper... I guess you meant that cleaning the grill and front bumper of her truck was quite a bit of work? I can totally relate to that one!
Old 09-04-2013, 07:14 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87

Hey Terry! I forgot about this build thread, I'm going to have to read the entire thread one day.

Nice going on the catches! I don't do much catfish fishing around here, although I have caught a few. Those are pretty nice size though, never got one that big before. How do you cook those? Every time I've caught one I gave it away. The last guy told me he guts it, cuts off the head and tail, puts it in the freezer to harden up which makes it easier to pull the skin off. From there pretty much pan frying with salt/pepper, butter, flour, egg, and cornmeal.

Last edited by Grego92; 09-04-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello cyberhorn... Didnt realize it has been so long on the 88. It is still running great.I get to drive once in awhile.I had alligator when I was in Phoenix. I liked real well. I like frog legs. I am not good enough or patient enough to gig them, but they cant out run a .22 either.

Hello Mark.. She is 45. I did not know that you could trade them for 2 twenties when she turned 40. I got that memo a little late. Guess I will keep her for another 45. It has been great so far. The bumper is great. Thanks

Hello Grego92...I have caught bigger on jug lines. I used to skin them like you mentioned. That is hard work. Filleting is the only way in my opinion. I used to start behind the head and go thru the rib cage. Now I start at the top fin on the backbone and at an angle to the belly fins,just behind the rib cage. Go all the way to the tail and stop before you get to the tail fin and flip it over and fillet the meat from the skin and then do the other side.

It may look like you are wasting a lot of meat and you do lose a little behind the head. But when you fillet from behind the head, you cut the ribs out so it still results in the same amount of meat. Having kids and the risk of getting a bone, filleting behind the ribs or fillets in general is alot better and quicker.

With a good knife or electric knife, I can have one fish done in less then a minute or even half a minute. Going behind the ribcage will save your electric knife alot of work and it is safer when using a hand held knife. When fish get this big, the bones are Toughhhh.

I like my catfish battered in cornmeal and a beer batter. I am not much of a drinker but beer adds some great flavor. Misty dips it or soaks it in beer and then uses cayan pepper, lemon pepper, salt and I think there are some other things she uses and then deep frys it if I recall right. When eating, I do like lemon juice and tarter sauce on mine. Catfish is a favorite here in my part of the country.

Something I learned a few years ago. We do have oil in our hands, but that can transfer to the bait or lures and run the fish off. Find you a stick or rock in the lake that is covered with moss or slime and work it in your hands real well to mask your scent. Then rinse your hands in the lake. Sure this same trick would work for saltwater fish.

I found the fillet behind the ribs on the net and it is so much easier. I will look for it and post it when I get back home Monday. I will be leaving for 3 days in St.Louis.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fishing is always good with the ones you love, and speaking of love. Good looking bumper..
Old 09-13-2013, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Waterbottom.. I enjoy spending time with the family, kiddos wont be around for long. Time goes by faster then you think. Doesnt seem like they should be as old as they are now.

I got her old bumper on mine and since I didnt have one, I consider it an improvement on mine and this bumper is an improvement on hers. So it is a win-win.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have been slowly tinkering with the trucks but nothing that would show anything. Today the 3rd gen, my 2001 Runner hit the 200k mark. What was I doing? Just coming back from looking at a 91 extended cab pickup. Owner didnt want to sell, seen it sitting for along time and it would be an easy fixer, but will check again on it a year or so from now.

I bought my 3rd gen in February '04 with 30k miles on it. Has been a great truck. I need to replace the rear springs, polish out the hood, paint the drivers wheel flare, and other then that it still looks about as good as the day that I bought it. I did put a little 2inch scratch in the tailgate when I bumped it with chair while moving. I have had seat covers on it since I bought it and the carpet in the rear where the kids feet sit are not as clean as I would like it but still 8 1/2 years later, still looking and running great.

200,000 Mile club.
Name:  highmiler1_zps4dac9316.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  42.7 KB
Old 09-13-2013, 03:19 PM

That is awesome, Terry! ... And, I would love to see u get ur hands on a 3rd Gen PU project rig... bummer! haha
Old 09-13-2013, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey terry! I haven't been able to keep up with yotatech because my computer crapped out after my recent move. It's good to get back on here. It's not often I see factory rear bumpers on these 4runners, and it's crazy seldom I see one in such good condition. Looks awesome. It's great that your wife shares your love for the 4runner. I'm trying to gently steer my wife towards a yota for her next vehicle.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the write up on adjusting the Speedometer. I will definitely keep that link for my friends p.u truck.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Mark... I dont have any plans of getting into another deep build until I get my 2 trucks done the way that I want and Misty wants to do alot to hers yet. She is saving for a new motor as hers is getting weak and probably needs replaced in about 6 months. It has 313k miles on it and I am betting the rings are the size of note book wire. All I did was a top end rebuild on it and it has 50,000 mile since then. I did get a few more years out of it.

Thanks Dutchbelly..I am fortunate enought that she supports my hobby and is involved in some ways as well. She is wanting to get her seats recovered on top of the motor situation. I just went thru the computer issues as well. Always something that keeps coming up. I just fixed the hot tub and kitchen stove and now may have an issue with rerigarator. Just bought it not long ago.

Hello Richard...I just like knowing where my mileagae is at. I like seeing the high miles on these. I am looking forward to the day to see one of these trucks turn a million miles. A long term goal of mine. We have an extended cab in our are with 750k mile on it. What is left of it. Rust is getting the better half of it.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I think Misty is seeing my truck gradually catching up with hers and she has been wanting some step hoops for hers and it would help my mom to get in the runner a little easier, so besides looks improvement she wanted function as well. I will try to get these on soon.

While looking about installing these step hoops, I see I have a tranny or tcase leak, grrr. I installled new seals from Toyota and everything was so disappointing to see a leak under there.

Name:  package1_zps1ad74ab5.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  56.4 KB
Old 10-24-2013, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Dutchbelly...Here is the best I have found for new rear bumpers.

Black
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bumper-New-Primered-Rear-4-Runner-Toyota-4Runner-88-87-86-89-Auto-Car-5210589112-/151098580791?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1988%7CMake%3AToyota%7CModel%3A4Runner%7CSubmodel%3ASR5&hash=item232e2d5f37&vxp=mtr
Chrome
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5210589106-Bumper-New-Chrome-Rear-4-Runner-Toyota-4Runner-88-87-89-Parts-Auto-/130985084011?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1988%7CMake%3AToyota%7CModel%3A4Runner%7CSubmodel%3ASR5&hash=item1e7f51c46b&vxp=mtr
Old 10-24-2013, 11:05 AM

Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Does anyone have experience with the chrome bumper on eBay? My rear bumper has a slight bend everyone always points out. It seems like all the 1st gens have a slight bump. I have not seen a OEM available any better. I was thinking of getting it before they become unobtainable. I did get a 3rd gen chrome replacement for the 2000 and it seems thin but fit fine. I sprayed a couple of layers of undercoat on it before putting it on. The factory one rusted from the back.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Nervo19...I too had to replace the rear bumper on my 01 Runner as the wife backed into a pole. When I took it off, I was surprised at how much rust was on the back side of it. I also replaced a 2nd gen runners rear bumper off of ebay because it was just rusted up. I am sure it came from Taiwan but was a great replacement. I have not bought one for a first gen runner yet from ebay though. From past experience, I will take a chance. It will be awhile as I want to replace my 86's rear bumper but got a few other things I want to take care of first. Just hoping they do not stop selling them before I can get one on order.

I eventually want to get one before they become unavailable. I used to see bull bars on ebay for these trucks and now I can no longer find them anywhere. They used to be listed all of the time.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Happy Birthday Misty!!! Fishin looks like fun!!! Hey Terry im thinking about replacing my front and rear bumpers, theyre in great shape and have all the plastic trim too. If your interested let me know.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread