86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 11:11 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Just so cool watching you RE-CHERRY these babies! Nice in the tires. ... decided on shoes & pads? Advics are the new Aisin as theyve been overwhelmed in Japan foe obvious reasons.....

My Centric Carbon-Ceramics that came with the Black Zinc rotors have been braking really nice! As have the slotted and drilled rotors that were with the pads for 111$ and all machined right near me in CA! LOL. ....OF COURSE,..... The Full V6 late model 2nd gen 4Runner brake upgrade didn't hurt either, hehe.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
those newer model 6 spoker wheels DO look good on the older ladies
Old 05-09-2013, 12:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
those newer model 6 spoker wheels DO look good on the older ladies
I gotta agree I like those a lot too. I actually like those 6 spoke better then the original 4 that came on our first gen 4runners
Old 05-09-2013, 09:40 PM

Depends on the color of the rig, for me. Love them on the white rig! They're 3 spokes, ...... not 6...... Or ours are 8? I like the 3rd gen 5 spokes too. The ones with theindented middle but not split?
Old 05-09-2013, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Depends on the color of the rig, for me. Love them on the white rig! They're 3 spokes, ...... not 6...... Or ours are 8? I like the 3rd gen 5 spokes too. The ones with theindented middle but not split?
the ones that look like the 80's IROC camaro 5 spoke stars seen a set of those on a tacoma they do look good
Old 05-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by diableri
Hi Terry,

I just wanted to stop in and say thank you for your thread, posts, pictures and all the help you've offered right along with all the rest of the good folks in your thread here and on the board. I've spent the last few months reading, researching and looking for my truck and finally found her. The whole time I've enjoyed many threads but I don't think any more than this one (and I've read and appreciated every word). Just didn't feel right not saying thank you for all the work you've put into the thread let alone your attention to detail on your project trucks.

I'm not new to Toyotas, in fact I've always had a Toyota truck of some flavor my entire life but this is the first time I'll have one the way I want it and to say you've inspired me would be the understatement of the year.

Be safe if/when you find yourself overseas again and most importantly, thank you very much for your service sir.

Jerod
89' Runner Project

Thanks Jerod.. I really appreciate the compliment. I have a lot of time and effort into putting all of the information into the 88 build and for you to notice means alot for me. Thanks

Two days ago, I noticed my post numbers didnt match the page numbers on my page. Most threads have 25 post per page and for some reason it changed on my thread. Probably because I have added so much informtion that it was past the limits for page.

That alone took alot of time for me to fix. When I first got into these trucks, I didnt know anything about them and have hours looking for information or some was what I stumbled into. Not all of the fixes were from my own ideas, but trying to find the information can be tought.

One thing I am proud of is all of the fixes I have found on the net or come up with my own are $25 or less and most under $10 or free. I am wanting to make my 88 thread where someone completely new to these trucks can find and fix their problem from my thread. The information is out there but is scattered all over the place.

Not all of the fixes are in a repair manual and when they are, they can be expensive, I like my windshield bottle fix, brake caliper rebuild, alternator brush, maplight upgrade, door pockets, repainting the interior, cheap parts page, to name a few. My 88 Runner has exceeded my expectations and I learned so much off of it that I am glad to hear it has inspired you.

I am constantly updating it this thread when I find things to add to it. I have a few more things I am working on and if they turn out well, I will add that info. I do a lot of the guinea pig things on my trucks before posting.

I really think my traveling days are over with and really think I get to stay home on this go around. They leave in 3 days and have told me I should be able to stay home. Thanks again will be looking forward to your build. These are fun little trucks and when you make one like you would like to have bought it, I think you will get some great satisfaction.

My other two builds the 86 Runner and 85 extra cab are junk as well, but I wouldnt have it any other way, and what I learned on this build, just gets added to the others. Alot of other trucks are not in the condition of what mine start as so that ought to give other hope as well.lol

Welcome to Yotatech. This is a great site and lot of info and fun.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark... The pads are getting a little thin. For the length of time we are keeping this runne, I have learned you are better off with the factory pads. I am going to start searching for a great place to buy them. Im sure it is out there, just got to find the place.

Hello Cyberhorn.. I like the Tri spokes on the first gens. They orginally came on the third gens and I not that big of a fan on a third gen but think they look sharp on the first gen.

Hello Redeth005... I think for me it depends on the personality of the truck as to which rim looks better. I like the 4 spoke but think it can look bad on the wrong truck. I think if I switched the rims from my truck to her truck and vise versa, I dont think I would like the looks of either one of them. May have to see what it would actually look like someday.

Here is the 5 spoke on my 3rd gen. I really like these on my third gen, just not sure they would look that good on a first gen. One reason my builds havent been getting alot done lately. I had to put new shoes on the third gen and Mistys truck. That alone was a small fortune. I also had to have an alghinment on it and when they were trying to alighn it, one of the tie rods was froze and they broke it, so had to have it replaced to finish the algnment. As af now I think I have all of the older styles of wheels. Working on my rim collection, the runners just come with them.lol

Here are the 3 different styles of rims, I think if I switched rims from one truck to another truck, it just wouldnt look as good.
Name:  3rimstyles_zpsae8bf9ab.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  108.5 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-11-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hello Redeth005... I think for me it depends on the personality of the truck as to which rim looks better. I like the 4 spoke but think it can look bad on the wrong truck. I think if I switched the rims from my truck to her truck and vise versa, I dont think I would like the looks of either one of them. May have to see what it would actually look like someday.
Oh yea I can see where you're coming from. Marks truck looks great with stock 1st gen rims. Don't think it'd look good with 3rd gen ones.

Its true what you say. Rims do add a lot of personality to your truck. I'm not big on steel rims but I definitely gotta say I love how the black steel rims look on my truck.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Awesome

Man those trucks look awesome... Oh and those rims too.

My 86 4Runner came with those 80's Toyota Pickup stocks white rims like this:

Name:  origrim_zps0457d12d.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  64.8 KB

This was on my 86 4runner which is blue with the black cab. I wanted the rims like the one you have on your 86, but the dealer at the time wanted an outrageous amount of dinero $ back then. I'm now trying to get those rims but like everything else here in South Florida it's hard to find.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

LOL...I had 5 of those rims, I am down to one now. There are some out there that want them rims for restoring trucks to the way they were. I just didnt have a truck to put them on. The one I still have is in great shape. Back then the SR5 Rim would of added alot of cost to your truck. Your 86 sounds like it was the same color as mine was.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey terry i dunno if i asked before but what year is your 3rd gen in the pics? Looks like 99 or 00.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello kornhuskerwizard.. Mine is 2001 4Runner. The 99-02 Runners is what you may hear as a Fat Lip 4Runner, which means the front bumper sticks out further then the 98 and older 3rd gens.

The 3rd Gen runners can bascially be broken into 2 more catagories of runners of this generation. They look alot alike but there are quite a few changes between the 96-98 and the 99-02. The older ones have in some were the elocker, which I wish they offered in the newer ones, but some of the other things is the cup holder is on the dash, the head light and tail lights are actually a little different. From my experience the older 3rd gen headlights tend to get foggy, but I like how the front bumper is more flush with the grill instead of sticking so far out.

The newer 3rd gen I think the headlights and taillights are a little better designed and I like how the cup holder sits in between the seats instead of the dash. On the tail lights, the clear part is a little recessed from the older ones and is another way I can guess which one it is from the rear of a runner and get closer to which year it is. I think the 5 spoke rim started in 99. I am not as strong in the 2nd and 3rd gens so some of this may not be absolute correct.

I love my little 3rd gen, but the perfect 3rd gen is taking the best of both worlds of the two and combining the better parts of the two. I think it was 2000 that was the last year of the manual tranny. Each one has there Pros and Cons. I would like a 2000 with manual tranny with flush bumper, cupholder in them middle, elocker, newer head light and tail lights. To do that you would need both generations of the 3rd gen to have the perfect 3rd gen runner. As I understand it,the air box on the older ones is set up a little differnt as well so there are bigger differences then what first meets the eye.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I found some 1st gen pickup heater control knobs awhile back and got them for the 88. I added some to my 86 a year or so ago and she wanted a set on hers. These swap out real easy and adds a little extra to the looks to it to me it seems.

1st gen truck knobs.
Name:  heaterknob3_zps516d3f75.jpg
Size:  43.9 KB

Orginal knobs.
Name:  heaterknob2_zps65a6a0c4.jpg
Size:  45.3 KB

New knobs. I will blacken the plastic at a later time for a cleaner look.
Name:  heaterknob1_zps8e9f1a6a.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  54.3 KB
Old 06-28-2013, 10:12 AM

Wuzuuuuup? HAHA. ... Call again, Terry, k?
Old 06-28-2013, 11:33 AM

Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Welcome back Terry. We all missed your updates. Thanks for your service to the U.S. I hope when you say you.ve got your time in it means a nice retirement income.

I had to laugh at your heater knobs. I think Irab used those knobs a while back and I had been looking for some. I just got some just like that and I just cleaned all the snudge off them the other day. I just really like having a clean dash. They look great.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark.. I did eventually get to talk to you. That was when my runner decided it wanted to take a break while out on the trail. I am hoping to look into it some this coming weekend and maybe find out what is keeping it from running. I got your bumper in when I got home today. Thanks for sending it out. It is actually going to fix two trucks. I get the brackets and Misty gets the bumper. I get her old bumper.

Thanks Nervo19... I got to spend my next days off at my inlaws but other then that I have alot of things I want to get done. If all goes as planned I should have alot of updates.

I got my retirement letter but I cant draw til 59 ( one year for each tour over seas, Iraq doesnt count or it would be 58). I dont see social security being around when we get to that time and really dont figure Uncle Sam will be able to maintain it retirement then either for the service, but as bad as it can be over there, I feel fortunate enough to have been with some of the guys that I got to go with over there.

I am an orginal fanatic but since there is not to many orginal pieces on mine, I like the idea of trying to make it something that could of come from the factory. I eventually want to go snooping thru other makes and models of cars and see what could be useful or appearance improvements. Even the interior appearance all adds up to the driving pleasure of these trucks.

I tried to find the link to your Photobucket and see how you are making out on your truck. Last I knew you were working on the rear rock guard area. How is that coming along for you?
Old 07-06-2013, 12:39 AM

You'll get it, buddy.

I'm glad you liked the stuff... And agreed....THANX AGAIN FOR UR SERVICE!
Old 07-06-2013, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got to spend the 4th at the lake. Got my legs and arms sunburned but still had a great time. We ran juglines and got about 30 catfish most between 15-30 pounds. Here is the brats catching the lines as we pulled up to them.
Name:  fish7_zpsd6475512.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  63.3 KB

Misty went fishing with a rod and reel and says she had one about this size while I was gone. She didnt have a picture of it back then and says it was the largest she had ever caught on a rod and reel. I told her since she didnt have a picture of it, how was I to know. I have heard plenty of fish stories,lol
Name:  fish2_zps6601add3.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  129.2 KB

Here is Justin with one as well. They had a blast pulling in the lines when one was on and fortunately no one got a hook stuck in them as when the fish come up to surface they can thrash around. Hunters picture didnt turn out so well. Some pictures of other fish didnt turn out either.
Name:  fish3_zps36d0c0cc.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  144.3 KB

Trying to take a picture and drive the boat easy easier said then done. One of the largest fish we had I made the brats trun loose when we had her at the skinning table. I didnt notice it when we pulled the fish in that she had a lot of eggs in her. I had them to release it at the dock and there were several people that wanted to know why it was being released. They said it was full of eggs. Didnt matter to some they still would of kept it and we wonder why we have regulation up to our ears, it would of been legal to keep it, but want to try to keep some around for the following years.

The kids always wonder why I get impatient with them if we are on the boat ramp for more then a minute or two. I try to teach them some boat courtesy about having everything ready so when it is our turn to launch. We had to wait on some inexperinced boaters on the ramp and it was funny seeing the boys getting impatient while they were loading up on the ramp instead of getting the boat on the trailer and finishing up elsewhere. I think they understand a little better now. I had fun with that lesson as it seems to go thru on ear and out the other until it effects them.

Public access is getting harder to find and I can understand why. Some buttheads threw their trash at the loading dock and I try to get the kiddos to always leave the area a little cleaner then what it was when we got there. I inherited some land from my grandpa and he used to keep the creek open to the public, but after awhile got tired of cleaning up their trash so he closed it off. I have let people use it in the past but it is closed off unless they have permission now. If they left trash like that on my place they would never get access again. Same applies to the trails and we just make it harder on our selves for the fun spots and gripe because there is no place to go.
Name:  fish5_zps23f120e2.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  76.3 KB

Here is the brats cooking marshmellow. We had the top off of Mistys Runner and while she was out in town getting some supplies, she had a few comments about it being an unusual truck with the top off and someone offered to buy it. She enjoyed telling them about it and liked the idea of not having a cookie cutter car.
Name:  fish4_zpsd304b9ff.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  94.1 KB
Old 07-06-2013, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got home from the lake and had a nice suprise setting at the door. Got Marks bumper. This bumper will be going on to Mistys truck and I will get her old bumper for my truck. Hers has always had a ding on the passenger side and when the tcase locked up and the local police had to push it off of the road, her bumper got two more dings in it. I think I can get it straight with some blocks of wood and a sledge hammer and will be putting her old bumper on to my 86. Both trucks will have some improvements on them and that is always nice. I think mine will make the biggest improvement as when I got it, it had a truck bumper on it and I just didnt like the looks of it. Looking forward to getting the bumpers on and getting back on several different projects here soon.

Now that I got all of the other things out of the way, except for my next days off as I have to go see my inlaws, (havent seen them since Thanksgiving) things should take off if all goes as planned.
Name:  fish1_zpsbc931b36.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  34.0 KB
Old 07-06-2013, 01:16 AM

ooh fresh catfish YUM aloe on the sunburn boss

when ya go to pound on mistys bumper for yours do it on some thick cardboard keep scratches to a minimum

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread