86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Basically, I have run into the same problem as this thread>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...cement-208121/

Parts store gave me a bearing for a G52
Name:  throwoutbearing523.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  80.1 KB

I need the W56 and not sure how to get it off. Guess it will need pressed once I get a W56 bearing.
Name:  throwoutbearing52.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  71.8 KB

Name:  throwoutbearing561.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  69.4 KB
Old 12-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Didi get tranny in. Misty helped out and think she actually liked it. She helped do the tranny, install pilot bearing, flywheel and clutch. Then the throwout bearing stopped the show.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

It will be Monday before I can get the part. None of the parts stores have the correct bearing in stock. Anybody got any suggestions, I am all ears. I could of gotten the motor in the truck today if this hadnt held me up.

THIS IS the same problem I am having>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...cement-208121/

Another post http://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota...ring-help.html

Just moved the thread from upabove so it will be easier to find.

Monday I do know a guy that will have alot of information on this and when I find out I will pass it along.

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-16-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I remember back in the old days, you could buy TO bearings with or without collar. Nice work everything is looking sweet. .........Nice feet dude.

Name:  throwoutbearing523.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  80.1 KB
Old 12-15-2012, 09:46 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Terry, ........

I did do a write up on this, early on in my build thread(OK, early on WITHIN REASON, lol)..... I believe I was getting the clutch in at that time....

First off... I got the bearing at Napa... not sure if you were asking that. It's a Koyo.... BUT, seems Napa has gone full on 'CHINA' over the last few years... like most everyone else. Hey, they gotta compete, I get it.

If you have the bearing... as it seems in the pic....

I will try to find that portion of my thread........
Old 12-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello ksti...I just couldnt believe a Throwout Bearing would be so difficult to find. A friend of mine had a used one and I liked how it rotated better then my new one so went with it. Somehow my sexyless feet get into a few pictures. I try different angles to avoid some glare but my views of my feet the glare may be the better thing.

Thanks Mark..I didnt like my solution to the Throwout Bearing but we have colder weather coming and it was such a nice day, I didnt want to waste it. It gets to cold, I will just have to sit. Supposed to be cold tomorrow but better the days following.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

The boys wanted to go to work with me so I let them. The following pics show how hard it is to good help nowadays.

Justin getting comfy.
Name:  Mistyhelped6.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  105.1 KB

Somehow Hunter was able to stay in the chair.
Name:  Mistyhelped5.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  71.5 KB

Putting the motor in, always get nervous when a motor is this high in the air.
Name:  Mistyhelped4.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  131.9 KB

I like to put the tranny in first then the motor, when I try to put the motor in first and then do the transmission, I have spent hours trying to get the transmission shaft to line up. When I do it this way, I usually can have the motor and tranny connected in less then 10 minutes. Always scary as it seems to easy. I use screwdrivers as long dowels to guide the motor to the tranny.
Name:  Mistyhelped3.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  83.4 KB

What I like with the EGR off is I had the tranny bolt tightened with my fingers and then used a box end wrench and had it done in no time. Changing fuel filter is going to be so nice the next time. Put silicone grease on all electric connections.
Name:  Mistyhelped2.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  91.8 KB

She actually got out and helped me get it put in. Think she likes working on the motors when they are clean, dont think this wont happen if it was all greasy. Still need to install starter, exhaust, radiator, and transmission/transfer sticks. I wont put on the AC compressor, power steering and will only put water in the radiator in case of leaks. That will save alot of cash replacing anti freeze. Been down that road no matter how hard I try to get it leak proof on the first time.
Name:  Mistyhelped1.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  119.2 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-24-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:11 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

What I have left to do so it is still on mind.

Install starter
One intake bolt
Radiator
One tranny bolt
Hose clamp for heater core
Exhaust
Shift sticks

Did get the starter and AC Compressor cleaned. Also a while back I got a coil/igniter for my 85 truck that I will be starting on soon. This is the first $10 I have spent on the truck. I am waiting for another blcok off plate from Toyota so this could hold me up on getting it started.
Name:  coil1.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  71.0 KB
Old 12-17-2012, 01:41 AM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
The boys wanted to go to work with me so I let them. The following pics show how hard it is to good help nowadays...

She actually got out and helped me get it put in. Think she likes working on the motors when they are clean, dont think this wont happen if it was all greasy. Still need to install starter, exhaust, radiator, and transmission/transfer sticks. I wont put on the AC compressor, power steering and will only put water in the radiator in case of leaks. That will save alot of cash replacing anti freeze. Been down that road no matter how hard I try to get it leak proof on the first time.
Amazing Resto, Terry! I want to be your next door neighbor
Man, this would have been a good time to apply the Thermos Shield on the Firewall for sound and heat proofing! Same material from Pep Boys that Mark and I used. Right now, my panel and floor sound-proofing accentuate the sound of the 22RE
Old 12-17-2012, 01:44 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Terry... you should install the 2nd Gen 4Runner(3rd Gen PU) Heater Control Valve... it's plastic, WAY less likely to bind and cause drama with the cables..(which we KNOW are a TOTAL PITA!) and never rusts! WOOT! hahaha...

I only have the one right now... BUT, if you can't find one... lemme know, I'll gladly grab one for ya. I think you just have to pull the valve itself off the backing plate and mount it to our own backing plate(different bolt hole location).

Whatcha think? hahahaha.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to hear your on the home stretch buddy. Glad to see misty out giving you a hand that's great. What I wouldn't give to be a kid again and just curl up in a chair and go to sleep lol. And I think your going to guilt all of us into doing a better job of cleaning parts, that thing is gonna look brand new.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great job on this rebuild Terry. I love watching youat work. Sometimes I kind of wish I had the 22re motor like you guys. I know you guys would be a great deal of help if I have the motor.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Rad..I did insulate the firewall on the inside. I even thought of getting some sprayon material for the firewall, but seems like it eventually cracks and then I am afraid it would hold water. The insulation really makes it quiter. I am eventually going to add the materials that you did to yours for an even more quieter ride. It quiet now but I think I can still make it better.

The pictures of when I started this restore doesnt show how bad it really was, and how far I have brought it from where it was to where it is now. This has turned out to be my all time favorite car or truck that I have owned. Just need to get the AC working, cruise control on it, and seats reupholstered. She is still wanting to add alot to it but it will be slow.

Thanks Mark..I can get 2nd gen control valves. Glad you reminded me of that upgrade. I keep a notepad in my phone of parts to look for when in the boneyard. Some reason I see it all of the time and never thought of it. It is in the phone now.

Thanks Jason...This truck will never get sold. It is a keeper. I really do enjoy working on it for some reason. I just hope I can get my 86 to the same level as this one as far as enjoyment of driving it and power wise. I am eventually going to see what the gear ratios are and set mine to it. Its seems to be setup just perfect for everyday driving. Misty is getting more attached to it everyday. She wont give it up as well. Even with the 3rd gen, the family would just soon as take it over the 01 Runner.

Hello Richard..Even as much as I like the 88, and hands down by far my most favorite truck, the best 4 wheel drive was my 91 4Runner 3.0, five speed. I dont know what about it but it was better then any Ford,Dodge or Toyota I have had. I really wish I knew how it was set up. You may have the perfect truck. A first gen with the 3.0 might be set up the way I want mine to be at.

I have had a 3.0 and it was a great truck. I dont have the funds,skills, welder, and nerve to start cutting wires to do a 3.4 swap, but I would like a chance to see what a 3.0 first gen is like to drive and how it handles. It will be a couple of years yet, but if my 86 doesnt please me like the 88 and the 4 wheel ability is not what I know is possible, I would consider a 3.0 and start all over again. Alot of the things I put on my 86 could always go over to a new project. I know there are things that can improve the 4 wheel ability, but it has to be driveable.

If you can come across a junk motor, get a hold of it and learn all about how it goes apart and back together. That is the biggest problem of any mechanicing. It will make it 10 times faster for you when working on yours and take the fear out of working on it. Then all you need to do is pay attention to torq specs and gaskets. Jason and I missed out on a rolled 3.0 runner and I really wanted the motor so I could practice on it just for that reason. I dont throw away any parts until it is completely unuseable and I have disassembled it enough to know how it functions.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:19 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Toytota called and said my other block off plate is in. I cut the exhaust off to make putting it back in and getting it out alot easier. Once you break the connection from the exhaust to the "Y" pipe, I have had alot of problems getting it to seal back up. It cost me $15 to have a exhaust shop to connect the cut part back up for me.
Name:  exhaust1.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  36.6 KB

I did have a missing nut on one of the studs. I staked it and knarled up the threads. If I had a welder I would weld it so it could never come loose again. I dont like headers and always had more problems with them. Once the studs come out of the manifold, I have never been able to make them stay in even with new studs. I never thought of it but think it was Mark that said you could helocoil them. Dohh!! cant believe I never thought of that. I recently scrapped a good one out. Jason suggested staking the nut on this one. I just took it a step further.

Doing my best to make sure I never get an exhaust leak. Now just got to make sure I get a perfect seal on the head.
Name:  exhaust2.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  49.6 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-18-2012 at 04:21 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hello Richard..Even as much as I like the 88, and hands down by far my most favorite truck, the best 4 wheel drive was my 91 4Runner 3.0, five speed. I dont know what about it but it was better then any Ford,Dodge or Toyota I have had. I really wish I knew how it was set up. You may have the perfect truck. A first gen with the 3.0 might be set up the way I want mine to be at.

I have had a 3.0 and it was a great truck. I dont have the funds,skills, welder, and nerve to start cutting wires to do a 3.4 swap, but I would like a chance to see what a 3.0 first gen is like to drive and how it handles. It will be a couple of years yet, but if my 86 doesnt please me like the 88 and the 4 wheel ability is not what I know is possible, I would consider a 3.0 and start all over again. Alot of the things I put on my 86 could always go over to a new project. I know there are things that can improve the 4 wheel ability, but it has to be driveable.

If you can come across a junk motor, get a hold of it and learn all about how it goes apart and back together. That is the biggest problem of any mechanicing. It will make it 10 times faster for you when working on yours and take the fear out of working on it. Then all you need to do is pay attention to torq specs and gaskets. Jason and I missed out on a rolled 3.0 runner and I really wanted the motor so I could practice on it just for that reason. I dont throw away any parts until it is completely unuseable and I have disassembled it enough to know how it functions.
I never thought about it that way. If i had the space to have another motor stored away i would definitely do that. Maybe someday in the future when i get my own place(with a garage *crosing fingers*) then ill do like you say and have another 3.0 stored away so i can learn everything there is to know about it. I can definitely tell ya when compairing my truck to when i drove Marks truck, his did seem to have a better response, and it hauls some major arse! his truck is fast. Mine is also fast but it uses too much gas when i step on it. I noticed i stuggle to keep up with him when we take the hills out to off road at angels crest. i wonder if thats because i have a heavier engine? idk... But if the time ever came when we had to pull a trailer i know mine would definitely be the better/stronger engine.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Richard.. the 3.0 is 50 horsepower more then the 22re if I recall right, but if you have an auto, Marks will eat you up. The 3.0 with the auto is weak, but with a 5 speed it will do alright. How is your timing/tuneup in general? You see alot of people dogging the 3.0, but have you ever seen a low mileage 3.0? 200 and 300 thousand I see all day long.

Anytime some one says they want to rebuild a 3.0 you have a bunch of people to say do the 3.4 swap. I have a 3.4 and it is a fantastic motor, but I try to caution people about what all is involved. You have to wire up the computer, fabbing with exhaust and other issues, and just the cost involved of obtaining all the parts that are needed.

My personal advice is to stay stock or what you have. I might could do a 3.4 swap but would be a big challange and expense. I would just learn the 3.0 inside and out. They really are great motors when fixed right as with any motor. The way that I look at it is
if I was out to win some races, the 22re, 3.0, and 3.4 would be out. It would be a V8.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Its ALIVEEEE!!! I had some vacuum issues and I have the dizzy a tooth off its moving under its own power. Had a water leak as I used a hose clamp that was to large and wasnt clamping like it should. I need to get the exhaust fixed. I will wrap it with a soup can and some hose clamps to get it to the exhaust shop. (Patent pending).

I need to recheck my vacuum lines as I know a few are not correct. Thought I would use my 86 as a guide. That is the wrong answer, should of taken better pics of the vac lines. Looking forward to tomorrow. Should be back to normal, but I dont trust my work as I am always worried about what could go wrong and will baby it for a good week or so looking for issues.

Jason was on the phone and helped me figure out the main vacuum line that I had on wrong. Thanks Jason. I will try and get a video of it tomorrow or the next day when I have it runnig and all accessories back on it. It still has a ways to go yet to be done.

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-18-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:40 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
YAAAAY!!!

that one pic has me concerned on the exhaust. when I reused the nuts, I ended up leaking.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
WOOOHOOOOOit runs its alive
Old 12-18-2012, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats man, like I said your on the down hill side now. I'm just excited to see you get back on your 86 I like it better anyway lol, you know I'm joking.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread