86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 06:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dang dude. At least it didn't have to be towed too far. that's good.
Curious to see what you find out.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Cyberhorn and Redeth005.. I wasnt so lucky for it to be brakes. I am sure it is the Tcase. At least I have one of those.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I pulled the rear hubs and the drivers side primary shoe is getting thin but it still good. The passenger side is in great shape. I thenpulled the drive shaft and it would roll. I then started the motor and tried to see if the transmission would go. The tranny seems to be working and I think it is the Tcase holding it up.

No leaks on Tcase or rear end. Front shaft of tcase will spin but not rear output shaft flange.

Drivers Side Good
Name:  tcase2.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  155.5 KB

Passenger Side Good
Name:  tcase3.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  131.2 KB

The cop had to push it off to the shoulder of the road and his front end has the push/crash bar. It did put two dents in the rear bumper. I am going to eventually replace it anyways, as it did have one before this incident. It will get moved up the list a little faster now. It is in the shop now.
Name:  tcase1.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  75.8 KB
Old 11-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
well SHOOT not the thing to go wrong before T day
but absolutely happy thanksgiving to you an your family terry
Old 11-21-2012, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry to hear its not the brakes buddy that sucks. t-case wont be bad to swap out.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dang dude. You got your work cut out for you now lol. BTW happy thanksgiving. Apparently YotaTech didn't send me email updates till just now.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
well SHOOT not the thing to go wrong before T day
but absolutely happy thanksgiving to you an your family terry
Thanks Cyberhorn... Thanksgiving day was a nice warm day and today was colder. Took several attempts to get the Tcase out. My replacement seems to real nice.

Originally Posted by jason in tn
sorry to hear its not the brakes buddy that sucks. t-case wont be bad to swap out.
Hello Jason...It is locked up tight. Seems like one of the shafts slides forward some and am thinking some broke loose inside.

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Dang dude. You got your work cut out for you now lol. BTW happy thanksgiving. Apparently YotaTech didn't send me email updates till just now.
Thanks Redeth005.. I had a good Thanksgiving. I have been mostly working on my other two projects which is my 86 Runner and the 88 Pickup. This runner has only getting the maintaince and repairs when needed. I am still alive and kicking. Here is where I have been hiding. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...6/index35.html
Old 11-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got the Transfer case out and might be putting the new one in tomorrow. Shouldnt take long but today was cldler then what I really wanted to deal with and Misty can use mine for work and I can use the 3rd Gen til I get hers back up. She has a 4 mile drive round trip an I have 37 miles one way.

Did get my FSM and Denso wires in today. The FSM does a great job on breaking things down. I have the downloaded version, but like having a hard copy. The cover is a little rough but everything else is in great shape.

A note for myself.http://www.trail-gear.com/transfer-case-gears
Name:  manual.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  69.2 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-23-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:15 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey buddy... hope you had a Happy one with lots of giving thanks!

Cop, push bumper? WHAT? What did I miss?(forget? hehehehe)... Man! My brain is MUSHY-PEAS! LOL.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark.. Mistys Runners transfer case locked up on her. She came to a stop to let a car turn and then the runner just wouldnt move. I knew the tcase had a problem for quite some time as it would not go into low range. High range would work and 2 high would work and with everything else it just got put on the back burner.

It got moved up the list real quick. She was setting in the middle of the road and the cop had to get it off the road and the rear tires just wouldnt turn. The cop had a crash bar on his car and when he pushed the runner it put some bends in it. It had a dent on the far right side when I bought it and was going to eventually replace it but havent been able to find one. I find them on ebay and will eventually buy one off of there.

I really am Thankful for how life has been treating me. Got my health, great family, enjoy my job, about 1500 from being debt free and just the house payment, get to do what I enjoy. The one thing I was told and really believe in is to have peace of mind, that you cannot put a price on. Life wasnt alway like that. Right now my biggest stress other then not having a check book with no limit on it is on my day off, I have to fix a leaking sink drain and need to fix a burner on the kitchen stove. Both shouldnt take long to fix and will be picking up those parts tomorrow. Oh I got to fix Mistys Runner as it is a daily driver but I am going to wait til a few more days when it is warmer and it wont take that long to fix. She can drive my runner to work and I can drive the 3rd Gen. It isnt a big hurry for me as I can do it when I am good and ready.

It wasnt always like that. I have bed ridden for 3 months at a time, debt out my ears, dating nightmares, hoping that the only car we had would make it back and forth to a job I didnt care for at all. Getting laid off from a job that I had plans of retiring from and just being stressed from everything that could possibly go wrong that would go wrong.

I am Blessed. Best thing I could tell anybody is to tackle those things that cause stress head on and get them takin care of and get that peace of mind and guard it. Having a hobby is a great way of relieving stress. I have learned to be patient with my projects and know I will get the to the end of it eventually as I have done enough in the past so that helps alot knowing that I will get there.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got my replacement transfer case out and cleaned up. It looks like it is in alot better condition then my old one as the PO kid really abused it. I changed the fluid in it and after having it out, I could tell it had alot of water in it at one time. The new one looks great and turns really smooth.

I did have to order a gasket for Toyota and was pleasantly surprised at the cost of it.$2.20 for it. I really expected alot more. They had to order it in and I will pick it up tomorrow. I actually ordered an extra just to have a spare one on hand.

New Transfer case. The gasket on the front is what I am waiting on and will put it on a few days from now as it is supposed to warm up alot.
Name:  transfercasegasket.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  111.2 KB
Old 11-26-2012, 03:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wish you were a lil closer so I could help ya with the tcase.

I totally get the piece of mind thing. Hell...Im glad just to wake up in the morning...lol.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:18 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello HighLux... I wish there were more Yota guys around here, they are all up your way. I used to live in St. Charles guess I should of stayed there. LOL...I am glad to just wake up as well.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got the transfer case back in last nite and have always had a leak that I think is coming from the rear main seal. I orgianlly just did a top end rebuild and have been putting off getting the rear seal taken care of. After putting the tcase in and gettin oil all over myself, that finally made be to decide to get off of my rear and get it fixed.

Leaks are a pet peeve of mine and doing it inside the truck is not something I really care to do so am waiting for it to warm up here in an hour or so and start pulling the motor. It is the best way for me to get good access to all the seals and make sure I get it leak proof.

Today is supposed to be nice and then I have guard drill this weekend so wont get back on it til Monday. I am hoping this wont take more then a week, but having to count on the weather will be the biggest hold up. My shop I can heat a little but if it gets to cold, my heater just cant keep up. I can have a motor out and in within a day, but am allowing for something to come up as it always does.

Wifey only has a 4 mile round trip to work so she will be driving my 86 runner, but she is already wanting her runner back. Hers has shocks and no body lift and I guess the tires make some difference. The two runners are completely two different trucks. I want mine to run and ride as nice as hers does and really liked when she had 31s on it. She realizes not having 31s on hers was a mistake. I tried to get her to stay with 31s when her old ones wore out. She will have to wait for the tires she has now to wear out before she gets new ones. I will get mine to be as nice as hers eventually, just takes time, but have to admit at this time hers is funner to drive....for now. lol.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I did get the motor pulled out but the glare was bad. I am happy with how the topend has held up. I did have some leaks at the half moon seals. Several months ago I added some sealant to them and fixed the leaks at the top. I have tried not adding sealant to the half moons and some say you dont need to. I still get leaks if I dont add sealant. From now on for myself, I am adding sealant.

When I replaced my transfer case I knew I had a leak at the rear main seal. So I decided to finally fix it. When I first got the runner, 2 years ago, I knew someone had done some first class pizz poor job on the top end. Bolts were missing, hardware store bolts, vacuum lines were wrong and they used orange sealant for everything.

It was moving under its own power earlier this morning. I have a fairly steep angle to get inside the shop, so I had it together just long enough to drive it in shop.

I had it pushed in the shop nose first to do the tcase. Today, I put two bolts in each end of the drive shaft, and two in each side of the transmission crossmember mount just so as I could turn it around and face it to the outside as that is where my cherry picker is and to wash all of the fluids out the door. Easier to clean.
Name:  transmission10.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  126.5 KB

Mostly a reference picture for me.
Name:  transmission9.jpg
Size:  116.6 KB

I blocked off my EGR and still clean. The black is from the oil vapors from the PCV valve.
Name:  transmission8.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  160.8 KB

The white plug is for 88 and up fuel injectors. 87 and older have a black plug that is quite similar to the Cold Start Injector plug that uses a wire clip. It is a good idea to switch to the white plug for alot less problems. The wire clips tend to brake off the edges of the connectors and cause firing issues. I have been down that road with my 87 flatbed. Just thought I would show about what the differences are between the old style and new style.
Name:  transmission7.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  101.2 KB

When pulling a motor you have to undo the whole harness from the transmission, fuel injectors and other sensors. This is what makes doing a body swap or frame swap on these trucks so nice and easy. If you can pull a motor, you can swap bodys or frames. I got this picture to add to my frame swap post.
Name:  transmission6.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  141.4 KB

When I could not get my 86 runner started, it was because inside this section of harness, there is a crimp that connects injectors 1 and 3 and injuectors 2 and 4 together. The crimp will pass resistance checks, but wont let enough voltage pass to fire injectors if they get corroded to bad. While fixing the leaks I am going to remove those crimps and solder them together. It is a poor design and gave me alot of trouble trying to get my 86 running. It is a good idea when you have the harness out to remove the crimps. Especially if living in a wet/damp enviroment.
Name:  transmission5.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  107.1 KB

Crimp I am talking about. One will be on a blue wire and one on yellow wire.
Name:  sand2.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  59.7 KB

This is your fuel return line. For trouble shooting a fuel issue, I will pull the hose off and let it run into a transparent jar and if it is flowing well, it will fill a quart jar in about 30 to 45 seconds. You will know if it is enough flow. It fast. To make assembly quicker and eaiser and to save missing bolts, I put them back in where they belong when possible.
Name:  transmission4.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  137.4 KB

Here I am checking to see if one of the fuel return lines is clear. I pop the gas cap off and you will hear air or bubbles in the tank. I have seen these return lines clogged.
Name:  transmission3.jpg
Size:  116.2 KB

Checking the other line.
Name:  transmission2.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  108.8 KB

Tranny is out and nasty. I will be looking to replace the front trans seal. I did not lose any fluids, so am thinking when PO replaced the clutch, they never too the time to clean it. I spent alot of time cleaning the tranny today. Will replace the seals and put it in first, as it is easier for me to stick the engine in last, instead of trying to stab the transmission to the engine. Tranny first, then the engine is what I am trying to say, not the other way around. Suppose each have their own prefernce.
Name:  transmission1.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  84.0 KB

Here is motor. Probably wont be able to mess with it til Monday,,grrr..
Name:  transmission11.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  81.8 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-09-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
terry your ability to get things done always amazes me. great job today wish I could have been there to give you a hand.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wow just wow terry
keep dry an warm boss out trooping around
Old 12-01-2012, 03:56 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Jason.. Wish you did live closer, I have to do 99% of the work by myself and another set of eyes and hands would be nice at times. This one being a daily driver and having learned so much on this one, it helps on the speed of it and nuts and bolts arent frozen when pulling it apart. When this truck is in tip top condition, it is just a fun truck to drive.

Thanks Cyberhorn..This runner is probably my all time favorite truck. Have done so much with it with the family and taken it on some long runs by myself and some of the places I have been in it as far as weather wise. A guy ditched his truck in a blizzard and I picked him up to keep him from freezing to death and he was amazed at how well it chugged along on some remote back roads, and hills. I actually enjoyed working on it. I just hope I can get my 86 up to this ones results/enjoyment.

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-01-2012 at 03:57 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:35 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
DANG! Like people say to me.... "I stepped away for a day and WOWIE!"..... lol. You're really kicking rump, Sir... as always!

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread