86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Started cleaning up some parts. Dont think the screws are factory. Grr..
Name:  8512.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  69.6 KB

More evidence of a mouse.
Name:  8511.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  50.1 KB
Old 08-12-2012, 03:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
damn that mouse had it made. a nice mansion in there lol
Old 08-12-2012, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are moving along bud! I'm impressed. Looks like you might need to buy a cat to hunt that mouse down
Old 08-13-2012, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Redeth005...That mouse made the whole truck his mansion. Think I have finally got all of his belongings out of there.

Hello Jameser84...If I keep getting trucks with mice in them, I may be getting a cat. lol, Looking forward to meeting you in Springfield.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:12 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I finally got the truck in the shop. Still doing some cleaning and started to clean some parts. The intake on this 85 is a little different from other 22re's I have worked on. It has a valve of some sort under the throttle body. Unfortunately it has a piece broke off of it. I might be able to fix it, but have thought of putting a newer Plenum on it. Someone got the TPS off of it, so will be replacing it.

In the shop. Should be pulling motor tomorrow if all goes well.
Name:  inshop.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  42.0 KB

Broke piece and differnent valve then what I have seen in past.
Name:  intake.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  51.9 KB
Old 08-13-2012, 02:34 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
WOW, really exciting! "YOINK THAT 22REEEEK!" haha... GREAT news, can't wait to see it out, man! GET'R'DONNNE! lol.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark..Hoping to get to it soon. It is killing me not having a truck. I am determined to get it though.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:11 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I tried to make a video of getting the nut from behind the dash and didnt like the way it turned out. Will try it again tomorrow as I will be doing some things. Will do the dash removal in segments.

I have been washing the truck with bleach water trying to get it nice and sterile in there and still have a slight musty, old car smell. I think it is the headliner and it is falling down. I am thinking of pulling it out and will have to bear the cost of having a professional to install the headliner. It is looking raggedy anyways.

I pulled the injector harness out to check and make sure it is in good shape and if I even want to use it. I will repair it as I have those wonderful red butt connectors that just burn me up on it as well as the 88 truck I am working on.

Someone did put the newer style injector connections on it. These are a far better connector and if it will work on your truck is a great upgrade. They were on the 91s and up if I recall right. Just dont know if they will connect to the older style. 88s have a different injector. I will see if these will work on mine as I like them so much better then the wire clip.

I took this harness out just to make it easier to fix the other problems, but getting the injector connections is easily done in the truck. These caused me alot of headaches on my 86 runner build and I am determined to rid the world of these things. It just unplugs from the ECU and the cable is pushed out from the inside underneath the wiper motor. Might would be just as easy to get a complete one out of the boneyard for the newer style connectors, but dont know for sure.

The blue and yellow wire is to the injectors. These clips are through out the truck. Several within 6 inches of the computer, but they are in a dry area and dont corrode. Some in the tail light harness. Never had any proablems there either.
Name:  intakeharness.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  40.9 KB
Old 08-14-2012, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Went to change a ball joint on the 88 truck and parts store didnt have one in stock til later today. So did some cleaning on this truck. Got the motor out, the head is missing on it, other then the injector harness, it isnt really hacked up. Had few leaks but not major.
Name:  engineclean3.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  74.4 KB

Will do some more cleaning later on and get some of the parts cleaned up as well. If you are using a high pressure wash over Purple Power,scrub brush, rag and some Dawn dish soap, you just dont know what you are missing out on. Someday I will own one.
Name:  engineclean1.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  101.6 KB
Old 08-14-2012, 08:29 AM

Received 208 Likes on 146 Posts
Terry - looks like your 85 has the newer style "straight" throttle body versus the older "slanted" style. That valve on it is the newer style idle air control valve. The 88 and older 22re's have the separate IACV that mounts under the intake and has hoses that go up to the throttle body. Supposedly you have a desirable upgrade there, a lot of people are moving to that style throttle body, the newer upper intake, and of course they get that newer style IACV along with the TB. I don't know if it actually makes a difference or not. Here is a neat link about it http://siestaoffroad.com/tbody.html

That person also had their Throttle body bored out...I think that stuff is years away for me, I'm still in get my truck back close to stock shape mode, then maybe I can do some of these extra power upgrades.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Cory..I didnt even notice the straight over the tilt. I will get that piece fixed now, one way or the other. Thanks again for the link. That is a new one on me.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
the newer IACV is supposed to smoother...

and the throttle body linkage is cleaner..
Old 08-14-2012, 09:41 AM

Received 208 Likes on 146 Posts
Oh yeah, good points Outsane. I was going to reference you in my post, I got that Siesta link from you I think.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
I tried to make a video of getting the nut from behind the dash and didnt like the way it turned out. Will try it again tomorrow
now im just joking terry but i thought you loved your toyotas why would ya want to be removed from them
Old 08-14-2012, 11:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
good info on that throttle body an cold air idle system Coryc thank you!
Old 08-14-2012, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
now im just joking terry but i thought you loved your toyotas why would ya want to be removed from them
Hahaha... took me a second... FUNNY, man! lol.

Yep, he would seem to be a 'NUT' to many with all he takes on, lol.. but we know better.. I don't think it's PC to say nuts anymore.... So let's just say he has "TOYOTATICULITIS"! hehe........

, Terry!
Old 08-14-2012, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Outsane
the newer IACV is supposed to smoother...

and the throttle body linkage is cleaner..
I think on top of that latter part(cleaner)... The Throttle Body being horizontal from front to back is supposed to provide improved air flow(what I read, anyway, lol). I know 4crawler discusses it a lil in his "TPS cheap tricks" portion.

YES, guys, good info, thanks!
Old 08-14-2012, 07:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Terry, you're making some really fast progress, just trying to get caught up with your build! I had a question going back to the paint you used on your dash. Will the same paint work on the door panels? I've been contemplating changing my interior color over to gray, (since my cargo panels and dashpad would need painted anyway) I might as well do a color change, since my grey seats are in pretty good shape. So anyway, just wondering if you use the same paint on all the interior components. What would you use on the seatbelts? Thanks!

Last edited by rustED; 08-14-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Outsane..I somehow missed that on your thread. That was good info and I would probably never have caught the angle of the Throttle Body.

Hello Coryc85..Probably boring it out wont happen for me either, but I will take any extra horsepower that I just happen to stumble into.

Hello Cyberhorn The Dragon... That was funny. I got a kick out of it.

Hello Chef..You wont see it if in plain sight. The only way I would of noticed it was if it was next to the other style Plenum. Same way with tools, spent alot of time looking for something and it is in plain sight.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Hi Terry, you're making some really fast progress, just trying to get caught up with your build! I had a question going back to the paint you used on your dash. Will the same paint work on the door panels? I've been contemplating changing my interior color over to gray, (since my cargo panels and dashpad would need painted anyway) I might as well do a color change, since my grey seats are in pretty good shape. So anyway, just wondering if you use the same paint on all the interior components. What would you use on the seatbelts? Thanks!
Thanks Ed..I got the next 2 days off and am working on my list on what I want to get accomplished. Wife and kids are back in school so am hoping things move along real well now.

I do use the same interior paint on all of the materials. Never tried the headliner though but it should work. On the seatbelts if they are clean, I just spray it right on. I just undo the top bolt and stretch out the door and spray it straight on. I lay an old towel over the door thresh hold to prevent over spray.

I do about the same thing for cleaning them with a scrub brush and let them dry then spray them. There is plenty of length on the belt that you will never see the part that is unpainted, about 8 inches next to the spool.

Removing the seatbelt isnt a bad job, but nearly all of the panels need to come out.

I know you dont have the rear seat latch assembly on the upper part of the seats so this may not apply to your situation. But just incase there is something I am unaware of you may want to follow the tip below.

If you arent going to pull your top off and remove the roll bar, You need to unbolt the roll bar and slide it back and tilt it forward. The rollbar angles in just enough to let you get the rear panel off to clear the rear seat latch assembly. Those rear panels are BRITTLE and will snap, but with the rollbar tilted forward, laying on floor, it gives plenty of clearance. I havent found away of getting the rollbar out with out removing the top.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread