86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Mark and Cyberhorn The Dragon...It is a good preventive maintainance fix. I had done verything to get my 86 Runner to start and it was passing all of the test. I found a thread on this and another site and didnt have anything to lose and thought I would give it a try. Clips looked good and passed. Soldered them together and put everything back and VROOOM!!! I have helped 2 others get their trucks started this way. There are several clips in these trucks, but the injector harness is the only one I have had problems with.

I finally get my dental surgery done today. Just hoping it doesnt hobble me up to long. Not looking forward to it but am ready to get this taken care of. It has slowed me down on alot of things.

My brother bought my 88 pickup today. He is getting a muffler and alighnment on it and getting it legal. When it is legal, I can run it to my dads shop and where it isnt so hot and things should move on it quicky after that. He has the funds to do this build up nice. He does NOT like mechanicing at all, but doesnt have a problem with me doing it. I am looking forward to working on this truck and not having to worry about money issues. He figures it will take a year for him to get it where he wants it. He got 20 years out of his last Toyota and it was 2 wheel drive. He wants 20 years out of this one. He has always had a stock looking truck and wants this one off of the chart.

WOW!!! I just noticed a butt connector on the previous picture coming off of my Fusible Link on the wifeys truck. That will be coming off. Whoever invented those things needs shot.

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-02-2012 at 05:56 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Went out to the shop at 5:30 this morning. I wanted to start getting the pieces for the 85 rounded up and installed. I started on the grill and noticed it doesnt have air conditioning so I put the drier and condenser? in and then had to work the drivers fender a little to get the marker light installed. Still have more to do to it as the hood is on top of it. By 9 oclock I was soaked in sweat and came to the house.

Air conditoning partially installed and had to take two grills to make one. Replaced a burnt head light.
Name:  859.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  144.6 KB

Parts installed are just a few screws holding it. Noticed the passenger headlight bucket is rigged. Still need to fix some wiring.
Name:  858.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  119.0 KB
Old 08-02-2012, 10:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice work on the grill Terry! Looks like the 85' is smiling again! Lol.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
good to hear bout the dental blood poisoning isnt a nice thing, yup grill an headlight rings are on my replace list too the grill on mine looks like its been sandblasted LOL a good grill makes them look so much better!
Old 08-02-2012, 01:33 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
BEST WISHES on the Dental work.... Hope to hear an "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, relief" posting, soon!

Prayers for quick healing, sir!
Old 08-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Nice work on the grill Terry! Looks like the 85' is smiling again! Lol.
Thanks Ed..I am determined heat or no heat, I will get one small thing accomplished one way or the other.

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
good to hear bout the dental blood poisoning isnt a nice thing, yup grill an headlight rings are on my replace list too the grill on mine looks like its been sandblasted LOL a good grill makes them look so much better!
Thanks Cyberhorn..I would get fevers and chills. I never get sick and at times it would smell like a septic tank. It was bad, glad it is over.

I was surprised the orginal grill made it home. Only one tab was holding it and it was in alot worse shape then it appears.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
BEST WISHES on the Dental work.... Hope to hear an "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, relief" posting, soon!

Prayers for quick healing, sir!
I am praying for a quick healing as well, much appreciated. I was in the hurt locker after the surgery but they put me on oxycodone and I am feeling alot better. Guess I got awhile to heal, but as long as I not feeling anything, I am looking forward to getting alot done now. Better days ahead. I am ready to hit it with both feet now.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I am getting ready to start pulling the dash out and this morning I added what I thought was missing air conditioning pieces. Now I am starting to think this truck didnt come from the factory with air conditioning. Since I need to replace the dash and now add AC, and will be deep into the dash area, I was wondering which motor gets the better mileage, a 22r or 22re.

Anyone know which is the better way to go? Being a 4 cylinder, I am not expecting power and since this will be a daily driver, I am more concerned with the mileage. I have a harness for a carburator and feel confident the 84 motor I got is convertable to a 22re. I can go either way, just looking for sugestions.

No AC ports for the 85, but I have the parts needed to add it.
Name:  ac2.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  98.3 KB

AC ports on the 88 runner.
Name:  ac1.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  71.4 KB
Old 08-02-2012, 03:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AC Thats gonna be Noice. I wish mine worked. i gotta put a band on it and see if thats all it needs lol. atm i dont know if its working or not.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:37 PM

i would say the 22re the injection tends to be more accurate on fuel metering

my old 79 the carb (its 3rd) the throttle shafts wear out an leak like mad makes it hard to get a good idle an fuel econ is a pain, yes it has the factory type carb i never invested in the carter upgrade

as for the AC looks like they just used a hole saw an popped a pair of holes in the firewall to install AC
Old 08-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by Redeth005
AC Thats gonna be Noice. I wish mine worked. i gotta put a band on it and see if thats all it needs lol. atm i dont know if its working or not.
Hello Redeth005...It maybe a while before I get mine working. It isnt cheap when just converting from the old stuff and then anything else just drives the cost up. But it is needed nowadays

i would say the 22re the injection tends to be more accurate on fuel metering

my old 79 the carb (its 3rd) the throttle shafts wear out an leak like mad makes it hard to get a good idle an fuel econ is a pain, yes it has the factory type carb i never invested in the carter upgrade

as for the AC looks like they just used a hole saw an popped a pair of holes in the firewall to install AC
Hello Cyberhorn..I just got the next gen dash out and I was really surprised that the wiring wasnt all hacked up. Looks like the stereo wires were but that was about it. I was thinking they would be a nightmare and was ready to change out the whole harness. Since they didnt mess up the wiring, I think I will stay fuel injected.

I am going to see if I can ge me a hole saw and see if I cant make it look like it has always had AC.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got the 89-95 dash out and was glad to see they didnt hack the wiring harness. How they put the dash in was a really poor job, but it is going to be easy to put the orginal style dash in. Biggest problem is getting the holes cut for the AC part under the dash.

I will be borrowing a shop vac to get it cleaned up under there and since I have it apart, I am going to clean the ventilation piping as it is dirty. As soon as I get the AC interior pieces in, I can start putting the dash back together and then start getting the motor in.

I want this running as soon as possible. Ever since selling my flatbed I have missed having a truck.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:15 PM

If only i knew the stuff you guys know. man..... I wish i could do mechanical work too. Thinking maybe i should take some classes in college just to get the basics maybe. idk. Ive definitely learned alot thanks to this website. but i would like to do Tranny installs and engine swaps and all the difficult stuff you guys all do. some day
Old 08-02-2012, 07:28 PM

community college is a good place to start redeth

me i started at 8 yrs old my uncle sat me infront of parts washer an said i want all these ford automatic trany parts spotless an ill get you any car model in the toyshop (next door to his shop) so i can concentrate on the rest of this rebuild ..... my mother was ..less than pleased... but the 70 stingray supercharged candy blue model i built was sweet :-D
Old 08-02-2012, 07:29 PM

terry good to hear the dash wasnt a hack job an a more normal one will go in
Old 08-02-2012, 08:14 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, you are FORGING AHEAD, BUDDY! hahaha...

Yeah, I was going to second the 22REC sentiment.....

Secondly... X2 ON THE "good thing that dash wiring wasn't all hacked up"

Thirdly... Best wishes on the AC install. While you're at it, hit your dealer and grab a new set of Denso AC O-rings... I replaced all mine, wasn't too bad, and since you're starting from scratch.. should be necessary anyway.. But just saying I would use OEM O-Rings. ESPECIALLY the 4 on the compressor hi/low valves

Heal quickly, bud.... stay safe on the OXY's!
Old 08-03-2012, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Redeth005.. You are on the right track to learn mechanical work. Replied on your thread recently about having to save for your SAS and selling your guitar for a car for your girlfriend. That is simillar to how I started. When I started working on cars, sending one to the shop wasnt an option for me. I had a 68 Mustang and it smoked badly. A mechanic told me the valve seals would need replaced. I forget the cost but it may as well of been a million dollars, no way could I afford his cost. So I went and bought a Haynes manual and went step by step on tearing down the heads and building it back up. I was scared to death that car would never run again.

When I started it up, it fired up fast after getting fuel in the system and one small water leak from a loose hose clamp. Still remember the cost of the top end rebuild kit, $60. That got me started on motors and soon I was able to work on Chevys and Dodges as they all are quite similar.

Then the tranny went out. I was scared again. This was the only car I had and getting around in a size 10 tennis shoe was getting old. Broke out the manual and it said have it rebuilt or get a used one. I found a tranny for $100 and everythign went right and first start up everything was perfect. That was probably 20 years ago. Engine and tranny work just took off from there.

I had always seen car shows or magazines about frame off builds. I always wanted to do that but was intimidated again. About 5 years ago I bought my 87 flatbed when gas went thru the roof for the first time. I wasnt aware of frame issues on these trucks. I had a slow leaker on my flatbed and took it to a tire shop to have it fixed and a mechanic showed me the leaf spring wasnt attached at all to the frame. I had my yougest son with me and I drove it slowly home on the backroads as I was really concerned about it falling a part on me with him in there.

I wasnt going to sell the truck and be at fualt for someone else getting hurt in it and would of lost to much money on it to sell it and letting them know about the frame. Once again I thought I was in over my head about swapping frames but had no choice. Got a nice frame and everything went perfect. Now I have helped some others swap out a frame and really believe that if you can pull a motor and tranny, you can swap frames. It isnt hard, it is something most have never done and are intimidated by the thought of it. Desperation helped me accomplish a goal I had always wanted to do.

On my 86 Runner, I knew I could get it running. This was before I knew a mouse had chewed up my main harness. You may have not caught it on the thread, but when that mouse chewed thru my main wiring harness, I was frantic. Absolutely scared out of my wits that I wasnt going to get it going. Then after replacing the harness in and it not starting, that was one bad moment for me. But I done so much and felt confident that I had the harness in right, I started following the manual and it still wouldnt start. Finally found a thread on the connectors in the harness. It passed resistance checks so I didnt think it would fix it, but what did I have to lose? Removed them and it fired right up.

On bodywork I learned by asking a local bodyshop if I could work for him just so I could learn bodywork. I have alot of hours working for free in his shop just because I couldnt get the time to go to school to learn it. Now occasionally he will call for help when he gets behind or needs to get a job done quick and I get paid for doing it now and I still have the skills for my own use.

Motors and trannys I learned years ago, everything else has been fairly recent that I can look at a Toyota and other cars for that matter and know I can do them. I dont much care for the newer cars with all of the computer garbage they have, but that is just me. You already have what is needed to do all of this. It is the "Can Do" attitude.

The 79-95 trucks are 95% built the same. Body and interior parts are the only difference. I just dont have the space to keep the different generations seperated. So is one reason I stay 84-88. This is a hobby that I really enjoy, but it is another source of income. Kind of like a part timejob that I dont have to do unless I want to. I came home from the dentist sugery yesterday and the fridge just quit. I paid for a new fridge from this hobby and one thousand dollars more and I will be debt free. When I say I am at my dads shop, that is code that means at my real job. I get a couple of hours there to work on my projects so I take advantage of working on them there as well.

The biggest factor that held me up was listening to people saying it wasnt worth it or you cant do that. Your attitude and determination makes all of the difference. I am trying to get my shop built up slowly which effects the speed of my builds. Once I get the tools, my next endeavor is to learn how to do manual tranny rebuilds and get a welder. All new challenges to me and I am not going to fall for the you cant do that.

May be a long post but wanted to show you how I learned. I try to make my builds to show that it can be done. Both runners were bombed out wrecks. The 85 is not even a challenge to me just the heat and time.I havent mentioned on my threads, but the 87 pickup that I stripped down that was wrecked and rusted. I am using that frame for my Downey bed now that I sold my 88 pick up. Getting a cab and tranny from Jason, I have the motor from the 87. I am literally assembling the truck from pieces. It is going to be a winter project.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:00 AM

community college is a good place to start redeth

me i started at 8 yrs old my uncle sat me infront of parts washer an said i want all these ford automatic trany parts spotless an ill get you any car model in the toyshop (next door to his shop) so i can concentrate on the rest of this rebuild ..... my mother was ..less than pleased... but the 70 stingray supercharged candy blue model i built was sweet :-D
That's awesome dude. I never had a mechanic in the family. I only learned things here and there and basic maintainene because my neighbours(the ones with 2 Toyota trucks I posted on my thread) taught me lol. It was nice back then because my old red truck had the same motor as his so he was able to help me out a lot and id always volunteer to help him when he was doing something to his truck, which was very often. Now I have the 3.0 and he doesn't know much on that one, still has an idea but not familiar with it and I don't live with the parents anymore so I don't get to visit them and ask for help too much now. I learned a partial tune up with my dad and learned how to do a full tune up with my older brother when he was working at AutoZone for a year or so. And everything I've done on my thread has been thanks to yotatech also the 2 uncles at my girlfriends auto store. But without this site I would have spent a couple hundred more.

I'll get to learn more as I go. But this is the reason I would really like to do my own SAS. I want the experience and the satisfaction of being able to say "yep I did that" lol.

Anywho sorry for typing off subject on ur thread terry.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:49 AM

Oh wow terry. Yea it was a long post but definitely worth reading. Got me motivated to learn more. I know I was more used to the 22r motor I had in my red Toyota pickup but now i have the 3vze and I have to learn new things or else its cash going into somebody else's pockets like u said u learned out of being desperate. I'm sure that's what will happen. I really dont want to pay somebody $600 for doing my SAS and lift for me. Like i said in my last post I wanna have the satisfaction of being able to say "hell yea, I built that! Or I did that! Woot woot lol" you know what I mean. It's gonna take time but it will be worth it in the end. And then who knows maybe it might pay off and someone might pay me to do it for them like what happened to you.

BTW I checked my thread I didn't see your post reply to my last post about selling the guitar amp head. It must not have uploaded.

Last edited by Redeth005; 08-03-2012 at 05:54 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

terry good to hear the dash wasnt a hack job an a more normal one will go in
Hello Cyberhorn...It was a relief. I did find some issues that I will need to work on but it shouldnt be too bad.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Wow, you are FORGING AHEAD, BUDDY! hahaha...

Yeah, I was going to second the 22REC sentiment.....

Secondly... X2 ON THE "good thing that dash wiring wasn't all hacked up"

Thirdly... Best wishes on the AC install. While you're at it, hit your dealer and grab a new set of Denso AC O-rings... I replaced all mine, wasn't too bad, and since you're starting from scratch.. should be necessary anyway.. But just saying I would use OEM O-Rings. ESPECIALLY the 4 on the compressor hi/low valves

Heal quickly, bud.... stay safe on the OXY's!
Hello Mark.. The AC install has gone alot smoother then what I thought it would. I will be staying with the Toyota parts. Just better quality all the way around.

I have gone to or threee years with out even an aspirin. Medication is something I feel is way over used, even the legal stuff. Will be glad to get back off of it. But it keeps the pain way so hopefully I wont be on it long.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Redeth005.. I will go back and see if it posted. Lots of times I hit the post button and go to another thread and dont see if it made it on there. You get your skill levels up to where you want them to be with a little persistance. Just dont give up.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread