86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 12:41 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm waiting to hear back from my buddy at Toyota(parts guy for 20 years).... Off hand, he said, "WHAT? He's high"... hahaha... Meaning, "That guy who told you that" is high, of course, haha. He has only sold the type with the washer for EVERY 4 spoke aluminum SR5 rim like ours that he's ever sold.... And of course, the washer if fixed.... And Using the acorn style can damage those, BADLY! Acorn are for STEEL or Aluminum set up with cone style tapered holes.

I CAN'T SAY, Terry, that there AREN'T a year or two that did have em? But I'm saying HELL NO on that one! Parts stores carry those for around 3$(The toyota Washer and shaft style lugs)... Toyota sells them for..... well, you get the picture, haha)....

OH< here's a thread permalink....

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post51140380
Old 07-31-2012, 12:50 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
The Toyota shank lugnuts are tapered on the end for the steel spare is the part that confuses most people. I actually get the Toyota shank lugnuts in black for like $90 a set.

:wabbit2:
Old 07-31-2012, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, Terry, the question on the 22r to re I think the fuel lines also need to be replaced.

It seem to be a lot of work, unless you have a complete truck to swap all the wires and ECM.

Good luck
Old 08-01-2012, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Jerry..I might need to move to Seattle for the next month here. I was outside for 45 minutes and was just as wet as if I got out of shower. It is miserable here.

Things have been slow for me since a trip down south and a few other things but I am determined with this heat to start get things moving again real soon. Got plenty that I want to get done, 2 paint jobs, switch out a dash on the 85 as someone put a 89-95 dash in it, and at least one motor swap. Should start to move soon as the heat lets up.

Thanks Waskillywabbit.. I am thinking that is what they are hung up on. I found this guy an 86 extra cab and the wheels and tires got stolen off of it. I then traded him a set of SR5 Rims for a rusted and wrecked truck. He had tires put on the rims I got him and the tire company didnt get one of the wheels torqued down. He is starting to think the truck is not meant to be for him. I am determined there is only one style of those wheels.

Hello Mark...I spent alot of time today digging on the net and am positive there is only that style of wheel. Forget which years they were made, but they are all of the same. I even found him a replacement for a reasonable price. Really appreciate all of the help on this. The tire company said they would replace it if he could find one. Should be up to them now.

Hello Bill...lol I have the parts. I stripped a runner and truck and I dont waste anything. Luckily it just needs a motor and I have atleast 2 complete fuel systems. I am feeling really confident on the switch. Still wont know for sure til I get into it. Worse case scenario, I have a complete 87 22re motor I could build, but that would delay getting it on the road. Will be building one or two motors this winter when it is to cold to do body work.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:37 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I learned that a Bull Bar from a solid axle wont fit an IFS truck. The IFS is a good inch taller from the frame to the bumper. Misty was hoping it would fit, but not going to happen. She is on the hunt for one. At least she isnt waiting on me. Makes my life better when I am not the hold up.

I am determined to get something done. No matter how small, it adds up. Pulled the tail light harness out of it as some one spliced in some trailer lights. It was done badly at that. Got all of the trailer light junk removed. They just twisted the wires on and wrapped with tape. They must of ran out of wire nuts. The wire nuts were loaded with mud. I have listed in this build on the first few pages of it, on where to get a trailer light set that just Plugs and Plays. Makes life alot easier as there was some bare wires just waiting to short out.

Wire mess. When repairing use a solder iron, solder, and shrink wrap. Not hard to learn and will make as good as new. A kit can be had for around $30 and will last a long time.
Name:  wiringmess.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  58.4 KB

This is a Toyota factory splice. Anytime I come across one of these, I remove the splice and solder it together. You will find it when one wire feeds two others. There is on in the rear light harness, some next to the computer in the passenger kick panel, but the ones that cause problems is the ones in the fuel injector harness.

When the motor is out is a good time to remove the wrapping from the harness and fix it right. It is a poor job from the factory. This clip is what kept my 86 Runner from starting. They will even pass a resistance check but wont let the injector operate. They connect injectors #1 and #3 together and #2 and #4 together.

Remove these suckers when possible.
Name:  factoryconnection1.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  31.0 KB
Old 08-01-2012, 07:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Terry, nice walk through on the the factory wiring splice, thats good to know for future reference! Man that trailer wiring looks like a mess, I'm sure you'll have it looking better than new in no time! I'm interested in the plug & play trailer harness, do you know where I can get one of those?

Last edited by rustED; 08-01-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn Terry. You definitely have your work cut out for you. How do you keep up with so many projects? i remember when i bought my 4runner, my stereo system wireing was all screwed up. looked very close to the pix you have up there above. Very micky mouse job the previous owner did. It still hasnt been completely fixed but it does look much better now. I figured i'd really clean it up and make it look proper when i install myself a good stereo system ya know.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:07 AM

X2! GREAT posting on the Factory Wiring Splice..... And add to that, please? >>>>

*Where, good Sir, is the actual splice IN the main engine Harness to the Injectors?(Is it just before or IN the LOOP portion of the harness, before it heads into the intake(that U portion) )???

Good work!

Sorry bout the bull bar, to your Wifey!
Old 08-01-2012, 11:08 AM

PS> You still need me to find a rim???? I see them DAILY on CL over here... And I'm sure the yard I use, Japanese Truck Dismantlers will have one. ..........?????????
Old 08-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Ed..I got mine at Oriellys. I really like mine. It has something that looks like a battery pack or similar and takes a minute to charge up as best as I can tell. Once it is charged it works great. Jut have to find a place to mount it. I mount mine inside the bumper. It really is Plug and Play. Works great.

There are alot of those clips in these trucks, the ones that cuase problems are in the injector harness. Helped a few people find out that was what was keeping their truck form starting. It will pass resistance checks and still not start.

Its PN# 43315.
Name:  taillightconversion.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  64.8 KB

Hello Redeth005.. I got the harness cleaned up real nice. Anytime I have a battery drainage problem on a new truck, that is the first thing I check is the stereo wiring harness. Most will splice into those and that can cause problems.

If your wiring is really chopped up, I would suggest finding a good harness in the boneyard and cut it just above/around the Emergency Brake handle and splicing it into your harness.

The other problem I see with a battery draining is the key will come out of the ignition without turning it to the OFF position. Got to push that button.lol. I know you arent having the ignition problem, but wanted to put it out to others.

Tomorrow I go and have my dental surgery, so am hoping it wont put me out of commision to long. I got a lot I want to get done. The heat has slowed me down as well.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Mark.. You must of posted the same time. He found one. Think he is going to get it. He is having a tough time with wheel isues. Stolen Rims and then tire store ruined one. Urghhh!!!

Let me see if I can get a picture of the harness and about where it is located. Be back in a few.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks Terry for the info and part # for the trailer wiring harness! I don't have a rear bumper yet, plan on building one and adding a receiver, so ill eventually need the harness, thanks again, and hope your tooth/surgery goes well and your not out of action too long!
Old 08-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark.. It is 3 to 4 inches before the 90 degree plastic piece. Where it sits at the front of the Intake/Plenum area. The 2 clips on the 85 are on a set of Yellow wires and and a set of Blue wires. When I did this on the 86 Runner, I do remember one set being blue on the runner and fairly positive the other is yellow on newer then 85. It has a cheesy piece of black tape covering it.
Name:  harnessclip.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  104.4 KB

The Blue and Yellow wires on an 85, maybe the same color on other models. These are usually wet from oil or water from my experience. PO put the newer style injector connections on mine. Normally a good upgrade, but I dont trust their wiring job. Will be getting that fixed soon. Will probably pull the injector harness from the truck and go thru all of it.
Name:  harnessclip2.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  109.2 KB
Old 08-01-2012, 11:53 AM

So it IS before the Horseshoe portion of the Harness(between the firewall and horseshoe, 3-4" before the 'BEND' in the harness?)
Old 08-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Your Welcome Ed..Think you will like it real well. Just dont panic when you first turn on the lights and they dont come on, just let it charge a few minutes. Normally when pulling a trailier your blinkers blink alot faster. I have never had this to happen. I think that is the purpose of the little pack I was mentioning. Might could mount it inside the frame.

Thought I would give pictures of the interior and wont be surprised it I have to redo some wiring in here as well. Here is the 89-95 dash I was talking about. I have two 84-88dashes and am not worried about getting this swappd out either. If I ever got a truck with just a bad motor, I wouldnt know what to do. Would probably be scared of it.lol
Name:  856.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  83.1 KB
Name:  857.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  77.5 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-11-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wow that dash dont look too bad did they have to shoe horn it in or was it a bolt in
Old 08-01-2012, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark.. I would say about half way in the horse shoe. This is off of Mistys truck. Would be about where my pointer finger is. It isnt as bad a job as it looks. Would need to pull the Plenum off and remove the wire loom wrap to access it. The 90 degree piece is just under the throttle.
Name:  harnessclip3.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  81.0 KB
Old 08-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn The Dragon... I have heard of it being done before. I am not sure how it is in there just yet. They did use a 84-88 SR5 guage which I was surprised to see. I like the 84-88 dash better myself and is easier to work on. The 89-95 dash, you have to take everything off just to get to the stereo or anything else.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
definitely a wiring fix to do with the engine out or being fixed though i need to add that to my list of things to do

thank you terry!
Old 08-01-2012, 12:25 PM

THANK YOU, Terry, for taking the time to take a pic/pointer finger and all! APPRECIATED! I WILL be attacking this, eventually... IN FACT, I believe this should be part of Toyota's 'recall list' OR AT LEAST maintenance for those of us rolling these 300K mile/25+ year old beasts! HAHAHA.

I've posted some new drama on my thread(gremlins... nothing to keep it from running........YET, lol).... If you have anything, lemme know? THANKS!

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread