Old 07-12-2012, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terry, Nice feet..lol
Old 07-12-2012, 05:54 PM

nice build!
Old 07-14-2012, 04:34 PM

Terry, found another build for you, knowing you it would be done in no time, painted and running by next Thursday...............LOL

Name:  newproject.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  77.3 KB

Old 07-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks solidaxle85.. It was a fun build and taught me alot and boosted my confidence in working on these trucks. Just not much I am afraid of now on working on these trucks. Doing the interior was a fun learning experience on this build. Hope this build inspires others that it can be done.

Hello Bill...LOL..If you would of seen the truck I was looking at the other day for a fix and sell. It was hit in the side. I am actually looking forward to the day that I do my first rear quarter panel swap. Getting the tools a little as I go. Something like that i would practice on.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RMP8080
Terry, found another build for you, knowing you it would be done in no time, painted and running by next Thursday...............LOL

oh the horror,that poor runner... oh wait i need those rear wheel arch metal to fix my 88

awesome work on your 'wifes' runner an inspiration i hope i can fix my recent save as well as you did yours
Old 07-18-2012, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Cyberhorn the Dragon.. I try to make my builds inspiring. I checked to see if you had a build thread. When you get one let me know. I enjoy following rebuilds. It can be done at a reasonable cost and especially if you can do the work yourself. You can only make it better then what it is and is a great way to learn on doing restores.

Having owned 2 new cars and some nice cars in the past, this runner is by far my most favorite build and one I still get the new car feeling each time I drive it. It really runs and rides as nice as I can guess that it did in '88.

If you still need some more inspiration on a disaster, check out my 86 runner build. Most people with any sense would of probably passed on it.lol. That one is mine and will be nicer then the 88 when done. It will be getting moved back on the list here in the next few weeks. Just waiting on the chance to go get it and bring it back home.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:10 PM

oh ive got a challenge myself 88 runner PO tried to do a head gasket repair an broke a head bolt off in the block then broke the easy out in that he was going to part her out but i tugged on his heart strings not to destroy a rarer an rarer toyota

got her for 700 interior (gray) is around a B grade so did good on that heres his CL for her still up http://twinfalls.craigslist.org/pts/3087836499.html still waiting impatiently for a medical issue of mine to finish an i can get to work!
Old 07-20-2012, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

The pictures were still up. Looks like you got one that wasnt hacked up and that makes your life alot eaiser. I have seen some poor jobs of rigging things up. Having done several rebuilds in the past, it just takes time and patience. You can always find something that can be done for cheap or free that all adds up in the end while waiting on funds for the bigger projects. These trucks can be done for a reasonable price and when you get it done, you will be far more satisfied with building one instead of buying one. Will be looking forward to your build thread.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:47 PM

i think ill start that, need to go out an take pictures of the lady hope she dont mind the Ahem.. declothed block an exposed nature of her bits in the back LOL
Old 07-21-2012, 04:41 AM

I used pea gravel inside my tank and it worked just great. still waiting to see if the inline filter will clog after 800 miles now, but no clogs yet. just be careful of those fumes!
Old 07-21-2012, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello russ2112..I have heard of the pea gravel trick. I would suggest coating the tank as even after cleaning the tank, I have used water or let dry and still get alot of dust just using an air hose. If your filter is easy to get to that would work too. Sounds like with 800 miles you got yours really good.

Im not sure of the flash point of gasoline, but when I see fumes, I do get really nervous. One reason I try to put all of my tank work off til it is winter time. The colder the better. When the temperture is around freezing mark, I am not concerned at all. Seems like every project I tie into has had tank issues. Guess cause it is so humid here and the moisture gets in when filling up and such.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:38 PM

just FYI

"The most commonly known flammable liquid is gasoline. It has a flash point of about -50° F (-65° C). The ignition temperature is about 495° F (232(232° C) [sic], a comparatively low figure." http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2003/...istopher.shtml

do the tanks have a habit of rusting out terry? my 79 is solid as a new one even after its years as a boat hauler an fishing dock in the surf (PO doing not mine)
Old 07-22-2012, 08:36 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Seriously.... One day I had to remove a tank from a 79 GMC Long Bed 290V6... It dropped, spilled over and ran DANG CLOSE to an open flame of a Zippo that was dropped on the ground, belonging to a friend, that, like a moron, was SMOKING WHILE I WORKED ON THIS! ........After tellin him TO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT! ........... Anyhow.... unbelievably, IT DID NOT ignite! Good thing, too, because it was still very near my rig and another car, my 66 Mercury Comet Capri GTA....... ANYWHOOOOOOO, .... after all that, we later pulled into the Alley of my Condo at the time... where suddenly, we heard a strange hissing from under the hood........ It then turned into a whining........ along with a boiling sound. Figuring it was a Radiator issue, I went around to open the hood... THANK GOD, I forgot to release the hood lock I'd installed...... RIGHT as I cleared around 5feet... BOOOOOOOOOOOM, the Battery Exploded so badly that it bend the hood nearly 1foot upward, poured acid all over the place and burst into flames.... As I ran in the house, AGAIN, my brilliant buddy was about to make a bad situation worse by DOUSING IT WITH WATER! haha.... I ran out, yelled ''NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!", then proceeded to shower it with baking soda. POOF, it was out.

I only mention this because, WOW, we really need to be careful with even checking the oil, let alone working on a gas tank.... FREAK ARSE THINGS CAN AND DO HAPPEN! haha...

I got tired of cooking at one point, decided to get my Hazwoper Cert. and ended up running the Yard(and driving Semi's quite a bit) of the Haz Mat Co. my brother in law owned. Out of THOUSANDS of tons of some of the most caustic, flammable, explosive, etc., chemicals I'd dealt with over those couple years.... GASOLINE seemed to be ignited more than anything else... Even though we dealt with Chlorine triflouride..... gasoline FAR MORE OFTEN was lit up... I think it's because people underestimate the volatility of Gasoline... Yet DO NOT when it comes to flammables like mentioned above. White Gas?(Kerosine) WOW, that's another one that I have seen NUMEROUS idiots tossing into a campfire while HOLDING THE CAN THEY'RE TOSSING IT FROM! ..........

OK, sorry... I'm done, hahaha... Just wanting to second the 'BE CAREFUL, GUYS!' sentiment! hahaha.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-22-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:13 PM

Yea, that only happens on NBC dateline...with GMC or Chevy pickups
Old 07-22-2012, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by RMP8080
Yea, that only happens on NBC dateline...with GMC or Chevy pickups
Hey that little law suit paid me a ssweeeeeeeet $3.03 and I had already scrapped the truck lol.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn the Dragon..It may be because of the area I live in is humid, but every project I have been involved in has had gastank issues. Alot of rust in the tank has been on all of them.

The next thing has been alot of mud sits on top of the tank and just recently I was cleaning a tank on the out side with a water hose just to get the dirt off and knocked 2 quarter sized holes in it. I would suggest going thru the opening under your rear passenger seat and taking a look and see what condition yours may be in.

There is a build or a thread some where on here where a guy had his to catch fire due to the tank. It is a gray 1st gen. He saved it, but a common problem up north and east is the fuel pump bracket assembly rust up bad and springs leaks. If you come across a good bracket it is a good idea to get it. You will see someone on here perodiacally looking for one or they are always selling on ebay.

Another problem I have been finding lately is the return line is clogged. To clear it, I run some Marvel Mystery Oil into the metal line on the passenger fender and use an air hose to clear the line. Remove the gas cap for the pressure to escape. Got to blow air thru the metal line and not thru the charcoal canister as the pressure will escape thru the bottom of the canister.

Every project has had some kind of fuel issue. Now that I got my laptop working again, I plan on posting some pics on my 88 build in the next week or so on it. I would about bet most on here have some kind of problem with their fuel tank that they are unaware of. Also there is an in tank filter that gets covered with a varnish or the sock/filter to the pump is in bad shape.

If you get into the tank and find issues with yours, the pumps from Toyota are $300, parts store is $150 and I got one out of the boneyard for $75 that only lasted 3 months. On my 88s build I have found one on ebay for $30 and works great, dont let the cheap price scare you away from it. It looks and works like factory(listed on first page). I am always trying to update my 88 build with info I find from my I other builds on it to keep it in one place. Just putting this out to others as well as I have found some things that I have been wanting to update on it soon.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark..At least you knew about not throwing water on cooking oil. I know of the A B C D classes of fires. Guess they just recently made an E class for cooking. Most dont know the different classes of fires. Just suggesting to others, go to a local fire department and take a 30 minute class on a fire extinguser and classes of fire. Even a little Wal Mart cheapy fire extingusher is can do alot if known how to use it. Basic first aid and CPR is a good thing to know as well.

Hello Bill..I remember that show, seems like they got their teat in a wringer when they got busted setting an igniter of before the collision. I heard the Pinto was overblown for its number of fire, but it made good news stories. Now they will be all over gun control since that idiot out west. Never mind that he is a nut case.

Hello Jason..Not sure where you could of spent all of that three dollars, but dont worry, I am sure the lawyers made it up for you. Like on the Firestone tires, I bought and used up a set of them. Disposed of them and a month later said they would replace them but I had to have my old one to give to them. I had already gotten rid of them so they would not replace them. They were junk. I am sure the same lawyer that got you your 3 dollars got my replacement tires.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hello Bill..I remember that show, seems like they got their teat in a wringer when they got busted setting an igniter of before the collision. I heard the Pinto was overblown for its number of fire, but it made good news stories. Now they will be all over gun control since that idiot out west. Never mind that he is a nut case.
LOL that was my second car (my first was a 60 corvair van greenbriar 1200 delivery) anyhow a 76 ford pinto i tink it was some dealer custom job called of all things a 'firehorse' red an semi gloss black accents, power windows, locks, ac, steering, v6 & glass sunroof made by ford even special fender trim an badges got it from the high school as the owner abandoned it darn thing id fix the valve seats an they would crack again due to the no lead gas the hardened seats finally became available the auto trany finally died an id gotten a 88 nissan truck with far better gas mileage so i let her go to a friend

thank you for the tank info Terry soon as i can ill take a look at the top of it

Last edited by Cyberhorn The Dragon; 07-24-2012 at 01:37 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:04 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

LOL...It was my first car. Still got it. Ford blue, white vinyl top and gold rims. It is setting out in my dads field. Wages at $3.10 and it was $450 needing the head replaced it took alot to save up for it. Head cost $200. It sure beat walking and it was all I could afford. I wanted a Camaro that had been in a flood and mom and dad wouldnt let me get it. Those are a fortune today and I would still have it.

Dad had a 50 Ford, just like ZZ tops (Copperhead,I think), and I wanted it but the floor boards were rusted out and he thought it was junk. He regrets selling it now. I tried my best to talk him into keeping it. New floorpans are reasonable and what I do now, he is retired now and knowing I could of fixed it for him, he is full of regret.

Seen to many people sell their first car, no matter what it was, you cant replace it. The only other car I regret selling was a 70 GT Torino Fastback, grrrr.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:16 AM

That White Runner Looks Awsome Man! I don't think i've seen a nicer one around.Here in Tennessee if you manage to find a 4runner this model its got trees growing up in it or eat up with cancer so bad the only way to identify it is by the headlights and hood lol.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread