86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Lewis.. Cat converter was the biggest problem. Has alot of work into it but got it done. I will explain below.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I replaced the air filter and that was a not the problem. Got to looking around and seen that I had some carbon on the firewall. I thought I had found the problem. The plate on the back of the head had lost a bolt.

I really pay attention when I put that plate on, but you have to leave 2 bolts out when you go to put the head back on due to the small exhaust pipe that attaches to one of the bolts. I think it is part of the Intake Silencer, not sure of the name but comes form the exhaust manifold. A bolt was missing.

Got the missing bolt replaced and thought that would fix it. It didnt. So I thought it could be the catalytic converter and replaced it. Fired the truck up and immediatly could tell there was a difference. I looked through the old cat and could see daylight and didnt think it was bad, but was probably the orginal.

It still didnt run quite right so I changed plugs, fuel filter,oil, and fixed a oil leak that was coming from the half moon on the front of the valve cover and that helped but still didnt fix it.

I then poured the gas out of the fuel filter and it didnt look right. I have gotten some bad gas at this one station before so I went and filled it up at another station. After a few minutes I could tell the Runner was definetly running better.

I could hit the pedal real quick two or three times and it would redline. Never done that before. It has always ran great but has never ran this great.

I havent been ticketed in 8 years or so and I really wanted to see how this thing ran. Took it out and after just doing the speed limit of 70 and driving several miles of no cops I finally got brave and floored it. Wouldnt you know it, there was the Hiway Patrol.

I was just getting it wound up and was at the 82 or 83 when I saw him,I still had half mile or so before I was going to start shutting it down. He pulled me over asked what the hurry was.

I told him I had been working on this problem and for 3 or 4 days and it never ran this great and was getting ready to see what it would actually do. Guess he could tell I was a happy little camper and just gave me a seatbelt ticket. If he had been later I dont know what speed he would of caught me at. Still havent got to find out what this thing will do. He could of ruined the budget this week but he was a descent guy and had a sense of humor.

I was actually able to gain speed up some hills that I have held steady or slowed down on. This runner has alway ran great but this is the best it has ever ran.

I have changed probably 30 or so fuel filters and I spent an hour and a half just getting the top bolt out of the fuel filter mounting tab. Still havent gotten the bolt back in but it isnt going anywhere.

Did have a tough time getting the rear fuel line to quit leaking. When I would try to tighten the fuel bolt, the whole fuel filter assembly would tilt down. Still need to get the top bolt back in but it is running fantastic for a little four banger.

For as much trouble I had getting it fixed the results were great.
Name:  speeding3.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  23.3 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-17-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:32 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, lil clogging and flogging in the same day, eh? hahaha.... Good news, in spite of the ticket, bud!
Old 01-28-2012, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll take a set belt ticket over a speeding ticket any day lol.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:46 AM

Terry, small price to pay, 82 mph, I would have giving you a speeding ticket...LOL

It may be a summons to you, but it's therapy for me.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:24 PM

Yep..... small price to pay, indeed! lol.

I tell ya, ........ I'm almost 'BY THE BOOK' in Los Angeles County any longer.... SO many speed traps, so many 'rolling stop' traps,....it's endless, the amount of effort/time they put into 'TRAPS', rather than making it more so a ratio of 75/25-PATROL/TRAPS, ...it's unreal. The CHP, especially, have become, apparently DESPERATE when it comes to 'inventing new ways to SUCK US DRY', largely due to 'C.A.R.B.'..... Yep, FAR more in the ratio of 'SAFETY/MONEY' goes toward the money in it's leaning, nowadays! Used to be an unwritten rule here in CA, the CHP and most Local agencies would let 15% or so slide on the 'over the limit' end..(other than school zones, of course, understandably)..... Or 75max in a 65, ....that would not have been worth their bothering.... Now, the rate of tickets for 65-70' gap has gone up like 400% in the last 10 years.... Think it's more about Safety or CA's CRAPPY ECONOMY???? lol. CHP is even now setting up on freeway offramps with "infa red" testing mobile stations where they VISUALLY can check your emissions from the pipe, then they pull you over a 100' or so ahead, detain you for an hour while they FULLY smog check your vehicle and then force you to retest if it's something THEY deem to be borderline(they simultaneously send a report to the State to inspect that station that passed you and the fines are like 100k$ for those shops that they think they can prove unjustifiably passed someone.....????? ) Oh, btw,......CA is set to smock check DIESELS, VERY SOON! WTH??????

Sorry, Terry.... I'll shut up now! hahaha.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:50 PM

It's all about money, they maybe pulling RED LIGHT Cameras here because people know were they at and are avoiding them. The company that make the RED LIGHT Cameras get paid for each camera at a sent price, when the camera don't produce the county or town has to pay that set amount and so it then taxpayers are paying either way.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Chef..It all falls under safety, but it is about the money. Alot of places are having to get the dollar where they can. My brother used to work for a small town and the local police had bets who could give out the most citations.

Duquane is another town that got wiped out by the May 22nd tornado by Joplin and did get mentioned in the news a few times. That town is known for its speed traps and when I come into Jolin it is just as easy to go thru Duquane as any other entry into Joplin and I have probably been thru there 3 times in 10 years. Not fair to the business in that town, but I dont see them lining up to pay for peoples fines.

Due to California laws, the mid west gets alot of business,retirement, and well to do moving here. The regulations is killing California and the regs eventually gets out here. They just drive the cost of things up so much. That CARB is just way overboard. Those in the government just have no common sense. I think you want to get the economy going, get gas at a reasonable rate. I used to never consider gas as a monthly expense. Here in the midwest, you just have to do alot of driving. I do 350 miles a week just to work and back. It is literally my 3rd highest monthly expense.

When I was in San Diego, I did maybe 350 a month. Everyting was just so close. When I was in the computer field and I talked to guys from California, they just couldnt understand the difference in mileage. Would of liked to stayed out there and had to oppurtunity to move there when in the computer field but taxes and regulations, I just didnt see how I could make it.

Hello Lewis15498...I will take the seat belt ticket over the speeding ticket. When I said I replaced my catalytic converter, I replaced it with a straight pipe. I dont really know if he could get me on that but wasnt about to find out. My wife got ticketed awhile back and got bent all out of shape on it. Not going to do any good, just pay it and go on.

Before I turned 30, I had been ticketed 30 times. Been before the judge a few times on those. You get 6 points and you lose your license here in Missouri. I had 5.5 points, got a nasty gram from Missouri. They were about to pull my license. Got 5 tickets in with in 10 days. My parents were PO'd. Still think they should name part of road after me, I paid all my fines. Who could want a better customer?

In the past 13 years I have only been ticketed 1 time. I have mellowed with age. It was a speed trap. 43 in a 35. I was around 100 yards before I passed the sign.

Hello RMP8080..Figured you would get a kick out of it.lol.. Wife calls me "Grandpa" when I drive now. I am the one that has to tell her to slow down. I got the speed out of my system. I have had motorcycles, V8 motors, and have been on Germanys Autobahn. Used to help my stepdad working with crashes as he was a local cop.

In 1998, I tried out for the Missouri Highway Patrol and passed all of their test, but on the psyc test, it had different scenarios and you had to choose armed robbery, murder,rape,high speed chase, stake out. On 3, I chose high speed chase as it was more involved in Highway stuff. Came back as a thrill seeker I guess.

Later when I went to Afghainstan, I met a guy who was a former Missouri Trooper and he said NEVER choose high speed chase. I asked why he wasnt a trooper any more and he said the hours were long or the middle of the nite calls.

When I was in the Navy Reserve in Tulsa, OK, we had 5 Oklahoma Troopers and they were great guys. This guy was good natured. Half of Missouri's Troopers are good natured and half are mad at the world. You never know what you are going to get
Old 01-30-2012, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have put about 200 miles on the 88 and it is running great, no more oil leaks, and a fresh tune up, so it ought to be good to go for awhile. She only has to do 20 miles a WEEK for work. The wife kicked me back out of it and my flatbed is more economcal to drive so probably wont be much going on this build for awhile. She is wanting to get a Can-Bac for it so we can have the top to easily remove and put on for the summer. I know that is her plans for now.

The 88 has been my favorite build by far and is a goal for me to shoot for on the 86 to get it to the conditon of the 88. Since the 86 is going to be mine (told her today she wasnt getting this one from me, like she got the 88,hehe) I plan on making it nicer and more funner to drive. I have an 82 Supra AFM and am going to do the V6 brake upgrade as this runner will be my boat pulling, project hauling, and anything else I want to hook up to runner.

Her little runner is just a great little truck to drive and I when I get the chance to drive it, it really puts the fire under me to get mine going. I plan on having it running within a month and hopefully on the road in 2 months and painted by spring or summer. Will have to just wait and see how things go, but that is my plans.

Got to go back and update my Tune Up page on the 88 as it is a little difficult trying to keep up which truck needs done having 3 trucks right now. Mine, Hers and Ours.

Catch me on my 86 build and any questions or commets on this build I will be more then happy to respond to. The 88 build isnt going to go away, just slow down a little bit.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I wanted to mention it in the previous post. Use a Steering Wheel Puller. Dont bang on the Steering Rod. I will bulge where the nut goes back on to hold the wheel on and you wont get it back on. This is probably a 30 minute job from start to finish.
I 2nd that. I didn't have a puller and forgot to leave the nut threaded on a couple turns, hit the back of the wheel, it let go and went through my back window. Woo-hoo. Had to replace one part of the window with plexi-glass. (Rear window is a slider)

Be smart, do it right.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

LOL...I have learned lessons the hard way myself. We have all been there.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:13 PM

Hi Terry this is Spc Caddick can u get ahold of me 417-434-3270
Old 02-08-2012, 02:10 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Justin...I will call. I will be at Crowder this weekend in the old chow hall doing classes. Thats what is the plans for now. Maybe I will see you out there.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:37 AM

Wuzuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup? hahaha.

Hope all is well........ still watching :taps finger on desk smiley: hahah.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks black toy. I put alot of work into it and it has been by far my most favorite build. Did too good of a build as the wife took it over.hehe Oh, well, it has been a good excuse for me to do the build I am currently on which is my 86 and have every intention of it being as well done or better then the 88.

I am still doing small things to the 88 as it is needed or I come across something for it. Today I did come across the trunk mat for the cargo area and it will be getting cleaned up and put in. One day I want to use both runners to go camping and trail riding. Her and one of the kiddos in one and me and another of the kiddos with me.

There is always something to do that doesnt cost alot or cost anything, just have to look for it and if you stay after it, one day you will have it running. I looked at your profile and didnt see a build. If you get one, let me know. I like following 1st gen runner builds.

As far as bodywork on my first gen pickup, I am just waiting for warmer weather. Actually want to paint my two projects this summer or sooner. Just got to see how things go.

Here is a trunk mat I am putting into the 88. Make it a little quieter and comfy when camping. Its DIRTY. Got it out of boneyard.
Name:  trunkmat.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  7.7 KB
Old 02-29-2012, 12:09 PM

Hahaha..... dang Smart Phones!

Terry, you gonna clean that stuff up? Pewwwwww! lol. JK, how nasty was it?
Old 03-14-2012, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello black toy..I hear you on the funds thing. Dont give up and it will eventually get to running.

Hello Chef..It was DIRTY..Nothing the carwash and Simple Green couldnt take care of.

Sorry I missed you guys post. I just got done putting it in. Hoping it makes it a little quiter when driving down the highway. Makes it a lot easier on the knees when crawling around back in there.

Finally in the truck. Wife was starting to wonder if I was ever going to get it in. It has been in the shop taking up space.
Name:  floormat.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  15.6 KB
Old 03-14-2012, 09:46 AM

Hey, ..... was she concerned about you putting a cement bed in it to keep her from leaving in it? hehehehe. JK... Looks GREAT, super clean! I'd like a new one and risen corregated padding so it's perfectly flat, etc., ya know?
Old 03-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Chef..It sure is nice having it back there when crawling arond. Not as hard on my knees.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I am just adding some more info to my 88s build thread. Things I have found while working on my 86. I do alot of refering to this page for myself. It has helped a bunch.

A Timing Video I like Better. Set Crankshaft pulley to 5 degrees.
Timing Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qEQMzHZtMo&feature=youtu.be

Easy way to install distributor on Youtube.
How to Remove and Install a Toyota 20R 22R 22RE Distributor - YouTube

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-15-2016 at 04:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread