86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Got some new parts. I took a rubber pedal for the brake off of the gray parts truck and then that made the clutch look really bad. So I matched it up. Wish they all went on the cheap, quick, and easy.

I got the right angle adapter for my AC. Just got to get the time to get it figured out.

I also looked at the hinges off of my gray parts runner thinking they would be bad, they feel really tight so will give them a try to seal up my air leaks.

I have bought a pin and want to see if that will fix my old hinges, just for something to try. I will have to work on that project later, but will post my results for others if it works out. I will try it on my truck.

New Parts (sort of) But should make a big difference.
Name:  Newparts.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  43.0 KB
Old 09-06-2011, 03:31 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
No prob, and COOL! Parts lol.

BTW, took a ride on the freeway today, ......

31's, 4.30's, 75MPH at 3300rpm, 70MPH at 3100RPM
Old 09-06-2011, 04:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got your PM, Terry, thanks a lot! I do have a voltmeter, so hopefully I can nail the adjustment first time, if it comes to that. Ideally, I'd like to match the engine and tranny, but my combo is rare.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Zelephant..The cluster mostly pertains to the engine so you may not be in to bad of shape. My 88 cluster isnt like the one in the SR5 swap thread,not sure what an 89s looks like. The one in that thread you can see with out removing the face plate. An 88, the face plate comes off, no way around it. But it is a good replacement with some adjustments. Really like having guages over lights.

I swapped my door hinges and it helped cut the air noise down. I dropped a bolt and had to take the inner fender off to get it,but it turned out to be a good thing as I think that is about the only way to adjust the door hinge.

This usually isnt a problem, but if you have to deal with rust, some of the screws that hold in the inner plastic fender in tend to break in half. I had pulled mine recently and didnt have any problems.

You will have 1 or 2 yellow clips that you have to release to get the inner fender out located under the hood.

I plan on keeping my old hinges and seeing if I cant put a removable pin so as I could remove the doors in the summer.

This cut my air leak way down. It didnt start making any noise to about 60 mph. My door seals have lost their shape.

Got an email that my carpet shipped out today. This pic shows my ratty seat, but it is getting on the list soon.

Sells door seal http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...loc=Front+Door A note for myself

Name:  Nodoor.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  50.4 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-07-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a link to a really handy page for calculating and comparing rpms and speeds after you punch in gears and tire sizes. Even if it doesn't help you calibrate your tach, it's a handy resource. http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
Old 09-08-2011, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Dutchbelly, I appreciate it. I will eventually get my tach correct. It is already bugging me, especially now that I know how to adjust it. I get to play Army this weekend so it is going to be a few days before I get anything done, but this is a freebie so will be getting it done quick.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Went to the salvage today and got a backhatch cover. It is not what I would like but I can make it work, I will just recover it. Got a door handle bezel for my drivers side, and a new door edge cover. Mine is broken an want it to hold down the carpet. Also grabbed some Peel and Seal to finish the front half.
Name:  Salvage.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  54.4 KB

Here are a few shots of the old carpet.
Name:  Carpetold.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  94.2 KB
Name:  Carpetoldinterior.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  89.1 KB

Front half with Peel and Seal, and back half of carpet in. Brake Clean works great to get the tar off of the scissors for a better cut.
Name:  Peelsealfrontfinished.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  106.7 KB

Back half done, will finish the front later this weekend. I trimmed a piece to much right by the rear drivers side, but should be able to touch it up with a piece of scrap and some glue and never notice. Once I got it where I wanted, I used the bolts to hold it in place. Should of alraeady done it, but will go repaint the seat brackets for a cleaner look.
Name:  CarpetBackhalf.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  70.6 KB

Here is the new carpet for the passenger area. It is maroon but think it goes nice with the interior. I am thinking it is only going to make the seat looks worse, may do some seat covers for a while. The carpet is about 3 inches wider all of the way around so it takes some trimming. It is taken longer then I thought it would just due to the trimming, but all of the forms are pressed into the carpet. So overall am really happy with it. Also has some sound deadner under it so that is a plus.
Name:  Carpetnew.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  133.9 KB
Old 09-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I did get to work on the carpet for an hour today. The best thing I can say is to start from the front to the back. Under the rear seats, the carpet will have a form that goes under the seats.

The rear half isnt to bad to do. Today I got to the front half and it is ALOT more time consuming. I layed the old carpet out on top of the new one and trimed roughly to the shape leaving excess. I guess if you were brave enough to cut the whole piece of carpet from your old one it might go quicker, but I am going on the safe side and trimming in small pieces.

I think I have an hour or two left to go. Getting under the dash, console and firewall is the hardest part.

Just got it where I can drive it have to for now.
Name:  CarpetDriver.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  68.2 KB
Name:  CarpetPass.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  70.0 KB
Old 09-10-2011, 04:17 PM

Man, it looks great! And yes, ..... now that seat DID stand out like a BROKEN AND sore thumb! lol. I'm working on my seats, .... I can relate! lol.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:15 PM

the carpet looks great terry, congrats. Im likeing your runner more and more all the time it has come a long way, and you have given us all a lot of truely helpful advice.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Chef.. It does make the rest of the interior look bad. Seems like no matter what else looks better, the seats just take the scene. I have been following your seat selections, and when I get a chance to get to the bone yard will see what I may like.

Thanks Jason.. I am constantly going back and updating my post when I find new or better information. You will see alot of editing in past post and I use the info for myself also.

Was sick for awhile so that slowed things down. Finally got the carpet in and seats back in. Did some detailing, and a little maintaince. While I had the seats out, I found a penny on one of the slide tracks. It got strectched and worn half way through.

I also found a business card with a beeper number on it. You could tell it was old. I bought the runner out of Arkansas and it had the business with the 501 area code. That part of the state is 479 area code. Dont remember when they switched area codes, its been a while. I remember beepers.lol Both the penny and card was in the track behing the plastic cover.

Found new Brake and Clutch pads at store and got them replaced. I am going to get some cheap seat covers for now and still need to order a shifting boot,Sunvisors,trim for the top that covers body, and Stereo. Once I get the seats finished, Front half is practically DONE!!!

I havent messed with the trunk area and it needs some work, but slow and steady it will get there. It is alot quieter with the sound deadner I put in and the new carpet had some thick matting on behind it.

Penny distorted and worn.
Name:  Interior6-1.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  51.2 KB

Front seat area done.
Name:  Ineterior5-1.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  78.8 KB
Back seat area done. Most of the specks is carpet fibers thatI need to vacuum up again.
Name:  Interior4.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  62.7 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-13-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:46 AM

boy that red interior of yours is growing on me, heck your hole runner is lets just trade.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by jason in tn
boy that red interior of yours is growing on me, heck your hole runner is lets just trade.
lol..I wish I would of had some good before pics. I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Once I get it done, I want to do some adding on, but am holding myself back till it is new/stock. I am really enjoying driving it more each day and is a fun little truck.

Was hearing what a pile of &^% to hey it is looking great.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:05 AM

really I just hope mine gets there somday I feel like Im gaining but good lord its slow lol.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looking good. getting a lot of work done.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Just been updating my thread on some past fixes and was tinkering with the runner and it started raining.

Had to go to the parts truck, that later on I plan on working on. It was actaully in better shape then the white one, just havent been able to get a title from the PO so it is on hold and be sides only one project at a time. Have had several wanting to buy the 91 Extended cab, so part of it will fund my next project if all goes well.

I have always liked blue and is really a solid truck. I have just about everything to get it going. Need a back glass, bumper, and tail lights. I am not worried about getting it back together. Wife will be getting the white one and this could be my next one. Will just have to wait and see.
Name:  BlueProject1.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  137.7 KB
Name:  Blueproject2.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  115.2 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-14-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I tried out a new salvage yard today and got some parts I have been wanting. Most come off of an 90 4Runner, but did get a couple of parts off an 86 pickup.

The black arm rest came off of a Tercel. It sits about the right height for my arm, but got it to try and experimenting with making a cup holder by cutting a hole in it for holding at least one drink if not two. It is a little wider then what I would like but dont think it will look tacky.

I spent alot of time looking in several cars and trucks trying to find something that would work as an armrest and drink holder, but didnt have any luck.

Two side door pockets, 2 Sunvisors, standard cab light, and a Tercel arm rest.

Name:  Moreparts.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  38.1 KB
Old 09-16-2011, 12:04 PM

Sweeeeeeeet finds! Great news on the pockets, man! time for some Red Vinyl Paint, eh? lol.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Chef..lol.. I think I have the only red interior in my part of the country. There are only two 1st gen in the boneyard and the few pickups they do have are every color but mine.

Im getting this painiting down really good. I get to go get some more paint, it is the hold up now on getting these parts in. They will help with the looks and usefulness.

I will be working on a few ideas for a cupholder. Really would like to see this work out.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:49 PM

Right on, Terry.

So, you're cupholder idea thingymadoer.... meaning the holes in the second lid you found there in the Tercel? You don't have a lid on the console you have now?(sorry, I guess I missed that, man).

I have a 2nd Gen Hiding Style Cupholder that I'd love to install in the dash, ....but the way these are set up, it's so limited on space or possibilities. So, for now, I'll just keep using my 99C store cupholder that is supposed to go over the door/window seam.... But instead I put it hanging over the lower box top in the console(mine has 2 compartments) and the cupholder part sits in my passenger seat. I know, it's not fancy, but IT WORKS! lol. I also use the rear/side window seams for cupholders in the rear, same kind. I also have one of those Passenger seat cupholder/dvd holder/container combo things that I use on trips. It works, and it just keeps it simpler without having to cut things up, ya know?

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread