86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 08:41 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, greattttttttt work, Terry.... I like the 'never give up' trying to figure it out yourself' spirit! ..... I'm losing hair on my head and probably gaining it on my back, stressing some times, but it's all gonna be worth it!.....Hopefully! hahaha.

I'm not sure what happened,.... I thought I was sub'd to this, and then when you said, "Hey, stop by",.... I realized I hadn't seen any updates, ....and DANGGGGGGGG, I'm way behind! lol. Sorry man!

Best wishes on ALL OF IT!
Old 06-06-2011, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sucks to let one of those trucks go, but I'm sure you've salvaged a lot of really useful parts for your current project. You can justify it by knowing that most people would have sent the whole thing to the crusher. Looks like a good time was had by all wish my wife was willing to go camping.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:14 PM

looks like You got a lot of parts off that other truck, when I get mine running I'm gonna make a list of things I need and start hunting. Glad You had a good time camping wish I had more time for things like that.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks Chef.. I try to figure things out to the best of my ability. I have worked on Toyota trucks quite a bit and alot crooses over, but the 4Runner does have a few tricks of it own, and it has been rewarding to figure it out. I spend a lot of time looking things up trying to figure it out.

I check in on your build quite a bit and you have alot of good info. I havent been able to put in any good info that would help. I have never done alot of the things you have done to yours. I cant believe that as well as you go through yours that you have to redo the motor again. Doesnt seem fair.

Your truck looks great. It is one that I use for my inspiration. Just that it is clean and you will run everywhere and use it for camping is something I hope to some day do with mine. I got a camper shell for my wifes truck so I think it would be cool to use my 4Runner and her truck.

Hello Dutch..I think the only thing we left was the windshield as it was cracked and the rear axle was rusted so bad we figured it would break.. We kept the 3rd member. It is nice to have parts, I used some before I got this to troubleshoot a problem on my flatbed. Wound up being a loose injector connection, but elimnated thing fast.

The runner I am working on now, the PO had used wrong bolts and getting them corrected was nice. Now I just need to get all my bolts cleaned and organized. Speaking of organization. I get the rafters and top shelf in the shed where she cant reach. Wife gets the rest. Front part of the shed is where I put the front end parts and the same for the back of the shed for back end parts. There is a method to my madness.

Still got to get some of these in there, but that will be for a rainy day. You would be surprised at how you can get things with a little planning.

Hello Jason.. I just dont like wasting, then what the salvage wants for parts.. Ouch. The last time I went to the lake was the summer of 08. The summer of 09-10 was an all expense paid vacation on Uncle Sam to the sand box.

It took a couple of my nickels and dimes I had saved for the runner, but with the weather and getting the time off to go was something that doesnt work out often enough. When the Crappie and White Bass were hitting, I kept getting rained out or couldnt get the time off.

We cant keep fresh fish in the house. It goes quick. Once it gets processed, it just isnt the same. But from swimming, sun and exercising, I am feeling my age. The mind is young
but the body reminds other wise.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got the next 2 day off and there is a slight chance of rain on Friday, so I am planing on taking a nap and getting up and hitting it hard, I would like to get all of the final sanding done today/tonite and paint on Thursday.

Still have 3 small hail dings to take care of that I found. I will take alot of pictures. Looks like I dont have anything coming up for the next two days, just hope it stays that way. Going to give it my best shot on getting it done.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:33 AM

Hope life and the weather hold out for ya Terry good luck.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
nice double dome light, if you find a 4runner with a sunroof they have a front dome light..
Old 06-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Helo Jason.. I am hoping it holds out. Havent looked at th forecast lately. Still busting butt trying toget everything done.

Thanks Outsane, I will check those out. The front light is a lot more useful then the rear light. I have seen some one stick in map lights and is something I will look into on down the road.

I am getting some things done. I will be surprised if I get it painted tonite. I repaired some hail damage. Put a light coat of galzing putty and sanded eveything down. I am really happy with how the hood and cab turned out after all of the damage.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I am stripping as much off as possible to save taping around it. I took the rear seats out and they were really stained from PO. I had tried shampooing at the carwash when I got it just couldnt get them cleaned. Took some Simple Green and went to the carwash. I made a big difference.

Dirty
Name:  DirtySeats.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  34.6 KB

Cleaner
Name:  CleanerSeats.jpg
Views: 1309
Size:  45.3 KB

Got my paint, Just need to get everything ready to get it sprayed. Now that I have it I have a big incentive to get it done. Would of liked to went witha metalic or another color, but dont want to do the jams. I am going with original white. Would of liked to gotten the next grade of paint up, but was beyond my budget.

To avoid taping around the plastic piece with the rear door key switch I took it off. Just two 10 mm nuts hold it and I used a deep well 7mm socket to get the center squeeze tab off. Hoping when I am done I will have my rear key working. I was originally going to get a key made, but now get to keep the original. Would of changed it earlier if I had known it was that easy.
Name:  Paint.jpg
Views: 1304
Size:  50.8 KB

Got the hood and cab repaired AGAIN.. Started blocking. Just came in to cool off it is hot out today.
Name:  Repairinghail.jpg
Views: 1276
Size:  40.5 KB
Old 06-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Will be taking it to the shop I plan on painting at later today. I will also strip off all of the paper and use painting tape to remask it when it is painted. That way I wont have any dust trapped in. It will find away out when painting. Well break time is about up. Going to get after it again.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:21 PM

Good progress terry, look forward to seeing it done
Old 06-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Jason.. I have been after it all day. I went after the hail dents and think I got them. I put 10 hours on it today, wont get it painted tonite, maybe tomorrow. Still need to finish the cab. I went over everything with 320 and am now on 600. Hoping for good weather tomorrow.

I was talkingto the guy at Oriellys that mixes paint and asked about interior paint. My panels are faded bad and I am missing one, and I got a replacement off of the one we stripped. He said to bring in a sample piece and they can mix up a pint for $70 dollars that you spray like normal paint or an aerosol can for $20.

I have the Cranberry Red interior and havent been able to find an off the shelf color that is close. This is a project further down the road, but wanted to get the info out there.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:11 PM

I've seen that interior paint used with great results Terry using on my own not so much. I dyed the interior black in a progect years ago that turned out OK but I tried to color match some stuff in my f250 and never could get it to take.may have just been me.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:19 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
hey Terry.....love the pics of the Rest and Relaxation portion of your life. Very important to bring things to a grinding halt every now and the and soak up the family goodness. Glad to hear you guys had a nice escape for a bit.

the little sub-projects are the most time consuming but it the end will be what will make this a nice, tight project. Kinda like me painting bolts......seems kinda worthless but in the end it's the attention to detail that will shine through.

we (Joe actually) used our Bissell steam cleaner (not really steam) to do his seats. had taken his interior right down to the skeleton and refurb'd back on up. kinda wishe we had DYNAMAT'd or something before we put it all back together, but in the bigger picture, that's not a terrible project to tackle down the road.

hope life is treating you guys well.....was about time I caught up on your thread and now I will move to Jason's. I feel bad because you guys are always checking my son's and posting but I have had almost zero time to reciprocate.....but right now, I do.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:49 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Looking great Terry, can't wait to see some paint on that thing.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Jason.. My panels are bad. I am hoping to get some great results. I think I seen Superbleeder do gray and it looked great. I did try a carpet dye before and got great results, I will eventually change my carpet out as it is wore down.

Hello Jerry.. I understand what it like needing more time in a day. Sometimes I do goood just keeping my thread up to date. My runner sat for 2 years with the backglas broken out and I tried cleaning I and it still had an odor. Seats smell fresh now. Got a spot in the carpets behind the front seats, I need to get after next.

I have had the top off since I done all of the silencing stuff to the truck. Sure hope it makes a difference.

Hey Rob.. Welcome back.I have been checking on your thread quite a bit. I know you have been tied up sice your 4 wheeling trip. Seen where you had to put yur 4Runner on the back burner. I know how that goes. I had plans of having this painted a month ago. Hope things are getting back to normal for you.

I have had the top off since I done all of the silencing stuff to the truck. Sure hope it makes a difference.

We got rain today and it is humid, so I am afraid of painting today. I had to borrow a frieds spray gun and got everything to do it. Still need to get over to the shop. It is frustrating that I am ready to go and cant.

I did put some primer under the wheel wells. I plan on shooting a coat up where it used to be white, hoping to give a cleaner look. Didnt get alll crazy about prepping the wheel wells, but did give it a good cleaning and quick scuff, so am hoping for the best.

Im just hoping to get the paint on right. I will let it set for a couple of days, but will work on the trim and such, so that will keep me busy as it dries. I still need to prep the hard top, but dont think it will take long as mine is in really good shape.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:35 AM

Sorry to hear about the weather man but you can't control that. Glad to hear you've had good luck with that dye I think my problem the last time was trying to put a lighter color over a darker one and it just wouldn't cover, I'm gonna have to figure out something with my interior at some point, like the rest of my truck it's trashed.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I am just making notes for my 91 extended cab. Still havent got to paint yet as we are getting rain and possibly hail later today. Truck is safe in shop.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...roblems-93691/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...sender-143327/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...95-t4r-138732/
Old 06-12-2011, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got it in the garage. Been getting humidity and rain off and on. Have it in there for a few day, just now getting it posted. Been busy. Since I work night shift, it is looking like Wednesday before I get to paint it.

Have been working on getting the hard top prepped and getting the trim, wiper blades and such done. Still trying to get the shop ready for painting. Still want to re mask it all and remove the tires to get to it better. Hoping today to get it a little more prepped.
Name:  Itsinthere.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  22.0 KB

As in my earlier post, my wife truck, the temp guage is jumping from half way to cool. She was at a friends house for a couple of hours and she got half a mile from there and it was in the hot zone. She shut it down and called me. I went and drove it home and it never got over half way. I knew it didnt have time to get hot on her in half mile. Better safe than sorry.

From what I have been reading, the blade connection on the temp sending unit could be corroded, or the sending unit itself is bad. I did the head gasket on it 6 months or so ago, and when I did, I had the radiator professionally flushed, replaced waterpump and radiator cap.

Its not loosing water or getting hot, so I thnk it is in the sending unit somewhere. Just need to look into it. I tried to do everything right and didnt take any short cuts, maybe Im just being paranoid, but dont want to have to get back into it a rebuild. Would rather be spending time on my current project.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:42 AM

I thought I posted on this sorry Terry hope everything thing is good with the wife's truck, sounds like a false reading I admire your wife for watching the gauges tho I still can't get my wife to do that LOL. Hope the weather and all cooperates with ya this week.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread