86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks Twisted and 92, I live 25 miles from Joplin but work in Joplin. My area didnt get hit. It was close. It is bad. The carnage is unbelievable. You see it on TV, but having to drive through it is somthing else. A guy a went to school with lived there and lost everything. He and is family are ok. They are saying 116 lost lives but Im hearing 3 more were found.

It is looking beautiful today and that is the way it was Sunday. We have the possibility of getting it again from what the news is saying. Part of the Mid-west. Believe it or not I have never seen a tornado. See the aftermath all of the time. Im fine not ever seeing one.

We are getting alot of flooding and flash floods.Not wanting to make light of the situation, alot of families need your thoughts and prayers. But yesterday went and helped remove brush off of the road ways so EMS and others could get through and got caught in a downpour. Had water up to the doors that I know of as some carpet is wet and there is alot of nails on the road. Had to get through some brush and lumber and just knew I was going to have problems. Nada, The little runner got me through.

I did get more hail damage. Yeyyy. TWICE. Grrr...
Old 05-24-2011, 04:25 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
stay safe...

sending some thoughts and strength your way.

we also had tornado warning our way.....had called the family to warn them since i was at work and made a conscious effort to keep all the pt's out of out ER rooms that had windows.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to hear you and yours are OK Terry, our thoughts and prayers go out to the people in Joplin. Stay safe man.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Guys. The weather is great today. Guess it 5 oclock or so when it gets bad as to what they are saying.

It has taken me awhile to get to this point with all that as been going on. I did take the bumper off of the rusted out 4Runner and every bolt busted tring to get it apart. I had to take 2 bumpers to make one. The bumper was in pretty good shape, just everything else wasnt.

Had to clean it up to get the bath tub rust off of it. The bumper pads bolts busted trying to get them off, so I bolted them on. I will replace them further down the road as they are scuffed up and the bolts. But for a quick fixs, I might get some rounded head bolts at some time later to help it out

Cant tell but I painted the filler pad between the bumper and grill and you cant even see it. Im really surprised they even put that piece in there. Got the frame and lower radiator area cleaned up and painted.

I kept the old rusted brackets and cleaned them up a little. Hope I never need them but if I did, I have a few parts to get it back together.

Since I got the bed liner down, it does seem to be a little quieter. Got most of my electrical issues working. Even the rear window wiper and sprayer work. Still need a Oil Pressure Sender to get my guage working and a couple of light bulbs replaced to fix lights in dash and switches. I need to look up how to adjust a V6 tach to 22re tach.

It has been nice having my wiper delay working. It doesnt look like much has gotten done, but since I first got the truck it has come along ways. I just keep looking at each little step. First step in a mile or a bite out of that elephant.

Cleaned up lower area.
Name:  Rattlecan.jpg
Views: 1370
Size:  27.5 KB

New bumper and pads.
Name:  NewBumper.jpg
Views: 1373
Size:  46.6 KB

What it looked like before.
Name:  front.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  38.6 KB
Old 05-25-2011, 07:17 PM

Looks better every time I check in, Terry. I never would have thought to do what you did to save that washer motor. Keep up the good work!
Old 05-25-2011, 08:35 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
elephant reference noted Terry....thanks.

you have been making strides in progress here......don't finish too soon, you'll be in withdrawal.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Dutch.. I like buttons to push and something happening. It drove me nuts not having a washer fluid. Always getting road grime and having to deal with it or stopping to clean it. Figured it had to be cause it was sitting so long. I wasnt going to stop till it worked or smoke came out.lol

Hello Jerry.. I still have a ways to go. I got plenty to do. I have a transfer case to put in. Just need to get the time to go use my dads garage to pull it and I want to do the clutch while I am at it.

Got some Peel and Seal,I plan on getting it in the next week in the trunk area. As soon as it dries out, I want to pull the top and put bed liner on the passenger area and the seats are in need of a good cleaning. I want some dry weather for them to dry out.

I have the next two days off so I am planning on getting back at the bodywork. I have been through 3 hail storms, and luckily it was just pea sized hail. Still have alot of sanding to do to get it prepped for paint. Got the go ahead for paint, but guess it worked out that I didnt paint it earlier like I had planned.

Im really trying to get this ready for summer so as I can use it for fishing and camping. The weather around here just hasnt been cooperating. I got plenty to do, just trying to get the time to get it done.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:05 AM

Don't have anything to add Terry just wanted to say hi.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looking good man
Old 05-27-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Not wanting to make light of the situation, alot of families need your thoughts and prayers.
Thoughts and prayers are free, expect both from my end, until this weather passes you by. Best of luck from my family to yours, Terry.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:18 AM

Hey Terry had stopped by for a day or two thought I'd check things out hope all is well.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Dutch.. Luckily I dont live in Joplin, I do work in Joplin, but the tornado hit Northwest of us, so I am really fortunate. They are getting the roadways cleared at a surprisingly fast pace. I work on the out skirts of town, and just the little I have seen, it doesnt look good. We have a bunch of different people in town and the sight seers. I look pretty much the way on TV. I try to stay out of town as much as possible. Seems like tornadoes are hitting every where.

Hello Jason.. How are things going for you. I plan on getting caught up on YT and see whats been happening lately.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Havent messed with the runner for a couple of days. But last nite did get quite a bit done. I got all of the scrathces out of the door and most of the hail damage out of the body. Started block sanding and found a couple of more on the sides, they should go really quick when I get back on them.

The tailgate isnt blue any more, for the most part. Got a couple of pinholes to take care of, but it is getting close to being done. I found some previous body work on it while working on it and noticed there was some overspray on the license plate light. Whoever worked on it before actually did a good job on it.

I started to do the hood and cab as there is a little hail damage there, but decided I want to get everything else done first before starting on that. Just about done. Just small things. I feel really good about how smooth it is so far.

I am going try and get paint on it hopefully in the next few days. I am ready, just can only go so fast.

Name:  Block.jpg
Views: 1366
Size:  44.8 KB
Old 05-28-2011, 06:23 AM

Lookin good Terry super smooth takes time you'll get it.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Jason, I have been working at it. I am hoping to get it painted this week, just have to wait and see, finding some small damage, but I am going to give it my best shot. No going to the lake this week, so that should help out on getting it painted.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Had some help, they actually stayed at longer then 10 minutes.
Name:  Helper1.jpg
Views: 1383
Size:  61.4 KB
Name:  Helper2.jpg
Views: 1383
Size:  54.0 KB

This actually has a well built tow hitch on it. I would like a reciever hitch, but for what I tow it will work. You can see it on the previous photo.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:03 AM

Glad to see the youngins given ya a hand I be lost without my youngest boy he isn't so young anymore tho 20 isn't young I guess.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:56 PM

Didn't want to Jack dutchs thread so I'm putting on yours but I think the zuk mod would work great for you. I don't think you plan on doing any hard core wheeling I think that is a great mod for its intended purpose and you can't beat the money.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I havent looked at the price, but it does sound like it would work. I want a smooth ride, and need it for towing. It is starting to sound good.

I am hoping if everything goes right, I will get to paint in the next few days. It is just small things I am finding, like a pine hole or small sandpaper scratch. I feel really good about how smooth I got it overall. Just to bad you werent here. Always like another set of eyes. I am trying to get it straight as possible.

I have thought that before and when that first mist goes on it will show instantly, but really think this is the best I have done. Still not brave enough to go black.

Feel good about the bodywork and no worrying abot the paint. Think I will get a similiar white with a little metalic in it. I had thought about a red stripe or even black as my interior is red and trim pieces are black. Anybody got any suggestions, Im all ears. It has to be simple. This isnt Chip Foose here.

It is looking to be all white for now. Today I was coming home in my 4Runner and one exactly like mine was behind me. I wanted to talk to him, but he turned at a street and I wasnt sure where he went. I will keep my out for him. It looked really nice.

He had tires that I would like to have some YEAR!! I will be glad when I can get beyond getting it back to "new" and do improvements. I would like to have the factory flares, not the Bushwackers and a little lift and... Im dreaming,... someday though.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its looking greeat. lioke i said before you sometimes make me want to do all the body work on mine.

as far as the strip. it all depends on wht you like. ie. strip down the middle, 2 down the middle, on the side, etc. like on mine im thinkng of doing a strip down the pass. side of the hood and cab like the bmw's did on some.

either way, white with some mettalic woould look awsome and so would a black or whit strip.

maybe a black strip with red lines on both sides?

something like this.
Name:  whitered-black.jpg
Views: 1381
Size:  49.4 KB
its crappy painting on my part but it gives you an idea and look

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread