86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lookin good Terry!!
Old 05-02-2014, 06:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Man that truck looks good and clean terry!
Old 05-02-2014, 06:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It does look good. Now I want a second gen pickup.

What will make it end? a building with one of each inside?

What is the cure for this madness? I want ALL the toyotas....yours too!!
Old 05-02-2014, 08:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HighLux
It does look good. Now I want a second gen pickup. What will make it end? a building with one of each inside? What is the cure for this madness? I want ALL the toyotas....yours too!!
Hahaha. I feel the same way.

I want my 85 runner, but I want a 3rd gen ex cab and a reg cab. And a 2nd gen ex cab.

It's like a toyota crack addiction. Haha
Old 05-05-2014, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Cyberhorn... I will be out in the shop Wednesday and can see what it is attached to. I think I see what you are seeing in the picture and if it is, it is a bolt. I also have a junk door that I can take that part out and see what it goes to.

Thanks kornhuskerwizard...I put some effort into it and was hoping it showed.

Thanks Gizler00... I am sure some wonder why I have built some junk trucks in the past. I know my dad has, lol, but I have built some trucks that were in great shape and even though this truck is in the top 10% of sweet finds, it does show what is common on all of these trucks. I try to show in each of my builds and even this one had the same problems. Dirty cowl, frame, sensors, rocker panels, ventilation system, floor boards, intake system, rusty fuel tank and lines and I am sure there is other things I have missed.

To thoroughly go to a truck like I just went thru this one is much more then going thru a projects like I tied into in the past. I see on the home page where someone ask about buying a truck and regardless of what kind of condition it is in, I try to let them know there is several things that they need to be aware of.

I will eventually get my 85 done as nice and it is a deeper project then this one and a lot of it is done since I have already done the motor and looking at how nice the condition of the one I just done to my 85, believe it or not, minus the motor work, I will have the same amount of work into mine and about the same cost. Some will never believe that, but if they compare this one to my 85 when it gets done, everything will be similar in every way. Just got to get fire to plugs!!!

Lol Highlux...I am not sure what makes it ends. I have been trying to get a first gen truck for quite sometime. I really want one bad as well. You know the first gen truck I had and I just couldn't wrap my mind about having a long bed. There is a truck that I have tried to get my hands on for a while. It needs the ugly knocked off of it. Faded paint, interior is beat but is really a solid truck. I just seen the owner has hit something in the front end with it. Just needs a hood, bumper and grill. I can tell it hasn't gotten into the frame, but I am hoping the guy is thinking it might not be worth fixing and will finally want to sell it. It is a short bed and that is what I really want in a first gen truck. Round headlights, short bed, rock solid truck. If I can get it for a great price, I will get it and set it aside until I get my projects wrapped up. It would be a great truck. If I can get it, it is another one of those ugly trucks, but I can see past the ugly, and it would a great find. Keep your fingers crossed for me as I am going to ask him again this week. If I get it, it will have to sit for a while as I only do a project and a half at a time, but it is solid and I will do it right if I get it.

Hello Gizzler... Currently I can find a 2nd gen truck easier then I can find a 3rd gen truck extended cab. They wont sell them, but I know where a couple of 2nd gens are, one is another 85. I had Misty a nice little 91 extended cab and she wanted the 88 and now she misses her 91 and I tried to tell her she had a hard truck to find. That and a 280 Z is the two vehicles she kicks herself in the butt for. I would of kept the 91 for myself, but I like the 2nd gens better and so I let it go. She is so regretting that.

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-05-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
id appreciate that terry i tried sticking a bolt in there an nothing is there to bolt likely gona have to pull the door apart an fix this

napa my local store pains in my rear gear i stopped to get a new radiator cap they gave me the tiny one mines the old big one sighs
Old 05-06-2014, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I just got a new phone and this is to see how my pictures will come out, mostly a test of my pictures. I like the EV1 style replacement connectors and ordered the other 3 and should be getting them on tomorrow.
Name:  temporary_zps15a1a365.jpg
Views: 1022
Size:  200.6 KB
Old 05-06-2014, 03:26 PM

Grats on the new phone! I saw your old one.

Now you can take pics and send them and in texts too...you will love that phone. 2 weeks you will be like "how did i ever go without this".
Old 05-06-2014, 06:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh yeah!!way better qaulity photos!
Old 05-07-2014, 01:43 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello cyberhorn...Even Napa is starting to get behind on some of their quality. Having a parts person with some kind of mechanical experience is getting harder to find these days. Use to could ask for some advice and they could get you going or some useful information, now a days I ask them very few questions. I will look at that door here shortly.

Hello Highlux..Some of the options it has I am already liking. I just have always been slow on liking new technology or changing styles. I have seen some things changed that I did not like and later on was so glad things did change.

Thanks kornhuskerwizard... It has some different features and feel it will help on the quality part. Still stumbling my way thru learning it.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got my phone as I was to have surgery to get my gum sealed up and that wound up not happening so I was next to the phone store and decided it was time to upgrade. Still not like having to learn on it but it does have some great features.

This past weekend was my last guard drill. I officially am retired on the 10th of June but no more military for me from now on. I wont have to lose 2 weeks of summer going to summer camp so am happy about that. Those 2 weeks seemed to hit at the best times. I had to go to St. Louis and back to Lenardwood and did a lot of driving. Wanted to take one of the first gens but as much driving as I had to do, I wanted crusie control as well. Plus still need to get the AC working on them. Mistys will be getting done here soon as hers just needs to have the pump put on and charged.

It was a long weekend and am slowly getting some life pumped back into my body and should be getting a 3 day weekend for me this week so have high hopes of getting something done. I have plenty of parts to keep me busy that have just been sitting waiting on me. We have a chance of rain later today but if it passes , I am wanting to take the top off of my runner. Will have to wait and see on that.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey Terry, looking good on those EV1 connectors. I hate the factory ones because you have to get something like a pick in there to remove those clips and hope that they don't drop like they have on some occasions when i have taken them off. Plus because of the age, some of them are cracked. In your past post I remember you mentioning those connectors to the TPS, soon I will need to change the one on mine, some where along the line part of the plastic cracked on me that holds the clip in place.

Pics look awesome, got hate how fast tech is improving because you have to keep up with it. Who carries a watch these days, phones keep the time for you, now some of these phone manufactures are developing a wrist phone. I thought they already did, the movie My Man Flint had the concept down pretty good.

Retirement, not a bad idea been working that since college...

Not to much of an update as I have been busy else where.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello junk4u...I just bought one to see how I would like it and how it would work out. It is better all the way around and a whole lot easier to install and remove. I am just noe getting to putting on the other 3 I got the other day.

I dont care for keeping up with technology. I wasnt to pleased when they went to EFI from carburators but am so glad they did now. I am hoping ot get this phone mastered and it will be awhile before I switch again.

I have been working on retirement for quite awhile. Some is working out and some has went the wrong way. I figure the government will be broke by the time I can collect on my Military retirement and Social Security that I will get .03 cents from them. Still trying to figure out where I will spend it all.lol
Old 05-08-2014, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I had to replace the water hose under the Plenum and am installing the other 3 connectors that I got from the above mentioned. These are a great improvement and the condition of the connectors that was on before is a big improvement.

Showing the different stages of installing them and trying to get used to the phone and posting pictures. Do like the idea of them going straight to photobucket.
Name:  temporary_zpsecbc70b8.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  114.9 KB
Old 05-08-2014, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I finally have it idling right. The injector connectors helped some. I have a SR5 guag in it and all seems to be working. The Low Level Fuel light is on and is no surprise as I only have a few gallons in it.

The windshield wipers are not working so will need to look into that. Same thing with the Temp Guage. The 85 and 86 have a sensor in the thermostat housing so am wondering if that is keeping the Temp guage form not working. All lights appear working.

Name:  temporary_zps005c3bf1.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  99.2 KB
Old 05-08-2014, 08:59 AM

Page 100 coming pretty soon....you better hurry...
Old 05-08-2014, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Dave...If I can get everything going like I want, I have tons to add. Right now I am hung up on a TPS issue. One I have been lucky to avoid after all this time and it raised it ugly head.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

After trying to run some test and figuring out which pin is which, I found this diagram on the Throttle Position Sensor. I am only getting a code 11 which is the TPS.

If anybody has a link to buy a new TPS Connector can you post it? I seen one a while back and now I cant find it. They can be bought from the aftermarket somewhere. I understan Toyota sells it in pieces and you have to assemble it. Not wanting to go that route. Non in the bone yards as of now in my area.

Notes:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...roubleshooting

Name:  tps3_zpsc672c56b.gif
Views: 997
Size:  9.9 KB

Got Wiper Motor Working, just needed fuses as it had too small of a fuse and was blown.
Got SR5 Guage in.
Got Drivers Door Panel on.
Got TPS swapped. No Check Engine Light until I jump the test port.
Got Heater Cables working like they should be.
Got Lower Cover Panel on.
Got Speedometer Bezel on.
Got more done just cant think of it right now. The small things are slowww.

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-08-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
how much them injector connectors run terry?
wonder how many trucks runnin round with issues an its the old connectors
Old 05-09-2014, 01:51 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

It is $10 shipping, but the injectors were like $6 a piece. I think the site says $3 a piece but with tax and all some how it comes up to $6. I dont understand why but it is a great price. It was around $30. They are worth it just making it easier to get the connectors off. Getting to the old clips can be a pain.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance