86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 02:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gizler00
I never thought about trying this myself. I have some injectors at the shop. I might just give this a whirl.
i cleaned mine via back flushing them (remove the screens) an using a 9volt phone charger and an push button to click them dont open an hold theyre not designed for that
you can also use a 9v battery from smoke detector dont use full 12v on them just incase
Old 04-19-2014, 02:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
i cleaned mine via back flushing them (remove the screens) an using a 9volt phone charger and an push button to click them dont open an hold theyre not designed for that you can also use a 9v battery from smoke detector dont use full 12v on them just incase
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try this
Old 04-21-2014, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Gizzler00... I wish I would of known of the Noid Light when I first had issues with my 86. Even for as frustrating as it was then, it taught me a lot and I feel really good when I have to deal with issues on the injector side.

Thanks junk4u... I am sure that video will help someone in the future. A video can do so much better then words and even pictures.

Hello cyberhorn... I am giving it a try. The injectors I have are froze up. My guess is the poor quality of gas we have now a days is just a big gumball inside.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I had a spare set of injectors so got the truck running. Jason in tn and I are eventually going to get together to work on his runner. He is having issues on his and I want to have a set of injectors ready just in case his are bad. These have been sitting for a while. I have 6 injectors and only one will click when I hit it with the battery. I am betting they are gummed up. I have them soaking in carb cleaner and will work with them again after soaking for a while.

I have a bad harness so I just clipped one of the connectors off and spliced some wire to the connector and that frees up a hand to operate a syringe and to do quick touches to a 9 volt battery. Always nice to now how to test and clean your parts. If I was going to replace these injectors, I would go with Flame Throwers. I have a set in my 86 that I got to be a test subject on. I am very happy with them. They are cheaper then sending them off to a injector service as well. But I will get these working. I mention the Flame Throwers. If you have an 89-95, he is offering them for testing purposes again. You wont be disappointed if you have an 89-95.

My new test equipment. Spliced injector connector and battery.
Name:  injector3_zps01c0a49e.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  63.7 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-21-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got two of them working!!!
Old 04-22-2014, 04:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Eventually I will need to upgrade mine and get some for the 86 runner.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:20 AM

next upgrade to your test rig terry is a momentary switch for clicking
an good news on getting 2 working
Old 04-22-2014, 05:37 AM

Nice job terry!
Old 04-22-2014, 05:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am going to have to give this a whirl! Seems pretty straight forward. I don't have any injector issues I know of, but won't hurt might help right?
Old 04-27-2014, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello junk4u...I really like the Flamethrowers I have in my 86. It seems like I shift out of 1st and 2nd gear really quick since putting them in. May a little faster in 3rd as well. As far as 4th and 5th I don't think it makes much of a difference. The way the Flamethrowers are designed over the factory ones, I think it disperses the fuel better and you get a better burn. The factory ones have just a single port that shoots the fuel out in a stream as where a Flamethrower has an inverted cone that I think spreads the fuel out better. For the cost of rebuilding them from a injector service place the Flamethrowers are cheaper and better in my opinion.

Thanks cyberhorn... I got 3 working and the push button will make it easier to work on. I will be getting one soon.

Thanks Gizzler..Always enjoy trying to fix or clean one myself. This is a very easy thing to do and the nasty stuff that came out, I am sure they will perform better then what they did.

Hello chuckarhunt... The 89-95 I think have 3 holes to disperse the fuel. I have a set somewhere and will look to make sure. It is easy to do and I was able to get one of them that was flowing poorly to flow great.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got 3 injectors working and 3 injectors the coils just will not work so basically aren't any good. I took one apart just to see if there was more that you could do and with out special machinery I don't see it happening. You can remove the screens, and flush them out well and can get them flowing better.

I took one apart and I had to grind off the electrical connection, and from what I can tell when they rebuild them, they must have a machine that reproduces the electrical connection as I just cant see any way of disassembling one with out taking the connection off. The edge of the injector is rolled on to the top to seal it.

I have an injector off of a junk motor and it is for the 85-87 EV1 style connector. My guess is it is from a parts store. I wish I knew the brand as I feel it is a better design then the factory one. It is a direct replacement for a EV1 injector. The one in the picture below is NOT a Flamethrower but is probably a better design then the factory and probably not as good as a Flamethrower.

Factory they come white in color, this one is a black one. The body and all is identical to the factory one with exception of color and how fuel is shot out of the injector. Someone probably just replaced one injector on the motor and left the other 3 factory.

I like to take a bad part and see if there is more that you could do to it and not much else that I can see other then flushing it and replacing the screens. Here is the black one that is most likely a parts store replacement. Also a picture of what an injector looks like when disassembled.
Name:  injector4_zps35573850.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  54.7 KB
Old 04-27-2014, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Been doing a lot of work on the 86 extra cab. I can move it in and out of the shop and running on its own. It is all the small details that is getting it finished up. Got the bed bolted down and when to put in the fuel filler hose and had to remove the bed again to get the clamps onto the tank. Doh!!!

Had to repair some wiring that goes to the tail lights, getting the seats installed and getting the rest of the floor cleaned up. What surprised me, is this truck has the rubber floor mat in and still how much stuff got past the floor mat. I have seen stuff get thru carpet but would think a rubber floor mat would stop stuff like that from happening. I always am shocked at what comes out of a carpet when I take it to the carwash for a good cleaning. Yucky stuff comes out.

Planning on this week to get it on the road and make sure all of the bugs are worked out. So far things have been looking great and has given me hope again in getting my 85 running. Don't know why it is be so stubborn. I got a feeling it has been the distributor on it the whole time but will wait and see. The 86 pickup is starting to look like a truck again. I need to update my 22r to 22re thread. I see all the time where someone wants to convert one and don't think they realize what all is involved.

We are in tornado season and had a couple to hit in our area. With tornadoes we get hail so have been keeping the trucks parked and protected. I like spring but will be glad when tornadoes are out of here.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:03 AM

Thats great info on the Injectors. I have never tried to tear one apart aside from replacing the consumable parts on it like o-rings and nozzles.

I hear you on the rubber floor. I used to have a 95 f-250 with a rubber floor, and one day I got the wild hair up my behind to remove it and lay down some bedliner inside. When I pulled back the rubber floor, I couldnt believe how much stuff was under there! It also helped my floor rot out right next to the drivers side kick panel. I had to cut a section out and weld a new one in. I honestly think any type of flooring is a safe haven for rust inhibitors to get stuck under. I have no problems pulling my carpet out and giving the floor a good cleaning.

This weather stinks. I hate having to worry about hail every time is rains around here. I always want to pull my 4runner in as I only have liability, and if it gets pummeled, theres nothing I can do.

A few years ago, when we had that horrible baseball size hail storm, my 3 month old F150 got 8,000$$ worth of damage to it. It was hard seeing the roof get cut off of my 3 month old truck and a new one put on!!
Old 04-28-2014, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Joplin got hit 3 years ago and the town right next door to it got hit last nite. I think they lost one or two there. Another town about 20 miles got leveled but dont think they lost anybody. Arkansas got hit hard.

Hail damage is a real pain. I bought a 88 Bronco II new and it went thru a hail storm and I had life time warranty on it for the body work. I had it for 19 years and about every 5 years I had to take it in to get it fixed. He wasnt expecting me to have it that long. I am able to cram all of mine under cover here at the house. At work I can cover half of the truck and Misty has no cover. I dread this time of year.

Other then what you mentioned there isnt much you can do for injectors but that will get alot more life out of them and can save a ton on doing it yourself.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got quite a bit done today on the 86 extra cab. I will try to start a separate thread on it tonite to show from start to finish. Still have a ways to go but getting there. Justin was going to show me how to get it done today and he helped for a couple of hours. I was teasing him that it still wasnt finished. I guess in a kids mind a few hours should get everything done.

He did find a broken wire while putting in the tail lights and we had to do some wire tracing and trouble shooting to find the broken wire. We found some other damage and had to break out the soldering iron. I showed him how to solder and then using a cigarette lighter to shrink wrap the repair. Before I knew it I had five kids from 7-11 wanting to weld wires. What I call soldering they call welding. Guess I learned to weld today as well as them. haha

Justin did do great on getting some of the other parts on and the parts pile is shrinking so he did help make some progress.

I did get the door handles in. The trim is breaking away from so I used super glue to get it back together. I did notice when putting the handles in the doors, that there is some holes that water can get thru and into the doors. Nothing you can really do about it as it is factory holes or gaps. Just make sure your door drain holes are clear and it wont be a problem. Most likely to get water in the door when at the carwash.

Some how I seem to get more super glue on me then I do the trim. It is the trim on the very outside edges of the door handles. This truck came with black trimming and is getting switched to chrome trimming.
Name:  detail12_zps5b02c10e.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  48.2 KB
Old 04-28-2014, 05:23 PM

terry them chrome handles are they plastic too or potmetal?
Old 04-28-2014, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So is it worth the time to do the injector teardown or just sendem to get cleaned,tested,and flowtest with results?It cost me like $144??I dot remember.injectorrx did it.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello cyberhorn..They are made of pot metal. I did have to oil the springs on the handle that you cant get to without the door panels off or having them out of the doors. Works smoothly now.

Hello kornhuskerwizard... Other then giving them a good cleaning and replacing the screens there isnt much else you can do. For myself, I would replace them with Flamethrowers injectors. I am quite happy with mine. He is cheaper then getting them refurbuished and I feel they are designed better. Just the way that is disperses the fuel I think is an improvemnt.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got quite a bit done today once it warmed up. I was helping junk4u on his buzzer issue and disabled the buzzer on the 86 truck.
Here is the Buzzer Box under the Steering Column.
Name:  Buzzerbox.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  18.3 KB

Just bend the tab out from the bottom a little bit.
Name:  BentTab.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  20.1 KB

Here it is going back together. There are 2 tabs to the cover that I just pryed a pocket knife. Life is good now.
Name:  Backtogether.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  17.3 KB

Also got most of the pieces reinstalled on the exterior. Did some other adjustments under the hood and getting things snugged up. I need to replace a water hose under there and will do that when I replace the other 3 injector connectors. There is alot more involved that I did just cant remember what all it was, but it is starting to look like a truck.

One thing I remember is the horn connector was gone. I had a harness and spliced in the connector off of it. Went to hook up the horn and Toyota changed the horn connector or this is the wrong horn. I will get a Toyota horn with this style of connector when I go to the bone yard soon.

Looks like just a paint job and 22r conversion but have gotten several other things taken care of. 100 more details and it should be done.
Name:  tom5_zpscc7f170f.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  106.6 KB

Front view.
Name:  tom6_zps9b4e2d98.jpg
Views: 979
Size:  116.4 KB

Some more interior work.
Name:  tom3_zps522dfb1c.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  101.0 KB

Rear View.
Name:  tom2_zps1f60aba8.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  123.7 KB

Mistys was the parts runner today. It was missing the head light relay and I had another fuse box. I compared it to hers and it was a different part number. When I compared it to my 86, it was the same part number. Not sure why Toyota changed that but I went with what came in my 86.
Name:  tom7_zps0c751498.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  125.7 KB
Old 05-01-2014, 07:32 PM

terry got a question
right below the latch on the side shot of the door is that a bolt? or rubber bumper cause mines missing something there could that be for the window track?

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance