86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
We have been getting cooler weather or rain so I haven't been getting much done. Where I work at they are getting rid of good rebar and other metal things. Just throwing it in the dumpster so I have been getting some for myself and to scrap it out and that just goes to my build funds. They are also scrapping a lot of plywood so been getting that for the walls of my shop.

Got the rest of the insulation I need to finish the roof of my shop. Now I got plenty of things to keep me busy and the weather just isn't cooperating.

The 3rd Gen runner is eating the outside of the drivers tire so I dropped it off at an alighnment shop and should be picking it up tomorrow.

Been driving Mistys runner a lot lately as I hardly ever get to drive it. Been working on a few oil leaks and think I have them fixed. Still need to work on getting the oil pan sealed a little better. I think a U-joint is causing a vibration in the drive line so I had a spare driveshaft and just got new U-joints for it and took the joints and driveshaft to a mechanic to have him to press in the joints. I can do them myself but sometimes they can be difficult to remove and is worth it to me to have someone else that has a press to do them. Speaking of press, I am going to try something at work next week to finish getting that bearing on the tranny I have been practicing on. It is going to be the inner Bubba coming out of me to make it work but I cant see why it wouldn't work.

I have to drill in St. Louis this weekend and if I get Mistys driveshaft fixed in time, I want to drive it there. it will be 600 miles round trip and am looking forward to driving it. Wont have cruise control but still looking forward to taking it. Mine still doesn't ride like I want to so wont take it on a trip for a while yet. I have one more drill in May and would like to try and have it where I could take it on that trip. Will have to wait and see.

Got my dash pad in. Hope this one doesn't crack out. I still need to do some work on my shifter area. I been meaning to get another brake pedal pad as I replaced the clutch pedal pad and will see about getting a new gas pedal. I am slowly trying to get this thing looking new again. The dash is turning out how I want it to so am happy with that.
Name:  tip2_zps76baf011.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  58.3 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-13-2015 at 06:56 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Dash looks good Terry. Too bad you are tied up for the weekend, its supposed to be really nice. Does mistys runner have cruise as an option but not working or just not an option at all. Knock on wood, my runner has it and it still works.

I did construction for many years and guys were always throwing stuff away. I would dumpster dive on a daily basis. I pulled out a werner ladder that guy threw away because a support rung broke on the back!!!
Old 04-09-2014, 10:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lookin good terry nice carpet too

oh ohh your doing a bubba experiment? just dont call an say hey ya'll watch this i dont have mistys number to call for help
Old 04-11-2014, 04:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey terrys87 I was wondering what the process for the fiberglass is. And also what supplies I would need.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:29 PM

Getting more snow up here tonight. Rained for the last two days! Can't take this crazy weather anymore
Old 04-14-2014, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Gizzler00..Her runner doesn't have cruise control. It was a very base model. I had to add everything to it. Before cruise control came along, I did just fine without it, but once you have it, you don't like being without it.

We had some great weather this weekend. If it had been for guard drill, I would of taken a couple of days off on top of my normal weekend. We had a few snow flurries today and it is to get down to 25 degrees tonight and it just feels colder then that. We gradually start climbing up in temperature but I am so ready for winter to get out of here.

They have been throwing a lot of material away. I should be able to get my shop done up nice here shortly. I am hoping to come across enough wiring to finish my electrical. Between the insulation I now have and the wiring I do have, that is going to make a big difference in what I get accomplished this year. Last summer was just to hot and this winter was to cold. I think it will be a great year if all goes as planned.

Hello cyberhorn... I have her number on speed dial, and have had to use it once. Like a dumb but I had a hi lift jack and the handle was in the down position and a careless moment, I leaned over it and it came up and thumped me in the cheek bone. Still have that indention in my cheek bone from that incident. If it warms up I will try my Bubba experiment.

I don't have a press but with the company tractor, a jack, a piece of pipe and the ground, I think I can come up with Bubba press. I will use the bucket for the top part of the press to let the jack sit on top of the pipe and press the bearing into place. It is still cold outside but soon as it warms up, Bubba is coming out. lol.

Hello Jacob13...I am still learning fiberglass myself. I bout a kit, the gel is a 2 part mix. It just takes a few drops of hardener to the gel. Then you apply it over the mat. I found that dabbing it onto the mat was better then brushing it on to penetrate the fibers. I will post a picture of the kit later today. There is another form of fiberglass that I helped use and if I recall right it is very short strands of hair like material and you mix it similarly like bondo if I am getting it right. Cyberhorn and Nervo19 are very comfortable with fiberglass and will usually add some better info for you here shortly. They know it far better then I do.

I will say from what little experience I have with it, it is fairly easy to work with and I have seen where if you are very creative you can do a lot of different projects with it like making consoles to speaker mounts. Just takes a little time and practice. Once I get a few things done up, it is something I want to learn better and get to know myself.

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-14-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got to see Highlux when I went to St. Louis on Thursday and was hoping to get see him a few more times this past weekend but instead by the time we got done and as late as it was, I just had time to get to bed and get ready for the next day. It was busy and did some work that I am just now starting to get some sore muscles to stop aching. Got way behind on my sleep and starting to get that caught back up as well.

When I was in St. Louis, I was able to dodge some hail by parking Mistys runner under a cover. Got home and it hailed at the house. I was able to get some rugs over it and so far haven't found any hail damage on it.

It was 300 miles one way to St. Louis and that is furthest run I have put on it in one day. It does 150 several times a year to her parents but 300 is the longest it has been. Cruise control would of been nice and it still has a slight rumble that I suspect is the differential and will be putting another in it just to see if that is the cause of the noise. Only does it when the drive line is not under a load and not very noticeable but I want to find the cause of it.

I got 20-22 mpg every time I filled up so was happy with that. A few times I pushed it pretty hard as that is the only true way to build confidence in it. In the past 4 days it has a total of 900 miles on it from going to St. Louis and back and the running around I did there and here at home. Other then not having Cruise Control, it was a complete joy taking it on that trip. Even had a Jeep guy to compliment me on it when filling up one time. One of the guys I drill with I don't think he really believed what all I had done to it but he liked it and thought it was newer then what it is.

I am really hoping I can take my 86 next month but that is going to be a tough deadline. I drive it all day around here and to work and such but it isn't where I would want to take on that length of a drive as it doesn't ride as nice as Mistys just yet and would get uncomfortable after awhile. Most I have probably been in it is 1-2 hours at a time. Not ready to tackle 6 hours at a time in it.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Terry, nice run on the runner, 300 miles one way that's a good run. So far I've driven my truck about 125 miles one way before I got stuck and had to have it towed. Years ago, i use to drive up to Rome, Georgia on a straight run with my 86 4runner and that was a 12hr drive. I use to like driving, but these days I kind of flinch when I hear about driving, can't stand the long sitting anymore. I think Dayton Beach is the furthest I've been in a while.

back on topic, your dash came out really good. Looks like it matched up really fantastic.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello junk4u... I still enjoy traveling. Dont get to as much as I use to and would like to travel at my own pace. I have drove for 26 hours before but dont think I could do that again anymore. I have had new trucks on runs before, but nothing like taking an older one and one that was in bad shape on a run. Its a confidence builder, nothing like the excitement of possibly of breaking down on the road. lol, I really think my 86 would make it, but I am with you, dont think it is smooth enough just yet. I like the way the dash has turned out againnn, now if I can just keep it that way.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Today I put some fuel in the tank and checked for leaks. No leaks and I let it sit for 5 minutes with the jumper in and the key on and not a drop. That is the good news. The bad news is it is not getting fuel THRU the injectors. It is getting fuel thru the rail and back to the tank. The Cold Start Injector is getting fuel to it as well.

Here is the fuel pump jumper for 85/86.
Name:  pic3_zps7f00fd76.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  50.3 KB

I then got the $3 Noid Light out and after removing the Plenum and disconnecting the fuel pump power plug at the tank, I got the best picture of it as I could. It flashes fast and bright and if you look closely you can it is dimming. Now I suspect the injectors just arent firing or clogged or something else. I have another set of injectors. The other possibility is the crimps in the harness is not letting enough power thru to fire off the injectors themselves. Either should be an easy fix.

You can see the dim filament barely glowing. It is bright and fast. I have the $3 Noid Light in my Tips and Tricks in the link below if needed.
Name:  pic4_zpsfc6a54a1.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  21.7 KB
Old 04-18-2014, 05:19 AM

Just like on my 86 4runner, Back in the 80's i had a time with locating half the stuff in there and injectors to me then were a dealer only take you dough it to mess with. Of course back then they were relatively a new product that they put the fear in you that it was a beast to tinker with.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello junk4u..I remember when injection came out and was not pleased with the new technology then. Now I like it better. I am slow to change. I was just as intimidated by it then. I understand it alot better now.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

It is alive on it own power now. It gave me a work out. It would run on starting fluid but not on its own. That had me thinking that it was on the injector side. I used my $3 Noid light and I could see the computer was telling me that it was sending a signal but still not fire. I removed the crimps in the harness and still it would not run. So I switched out injectors and it fired right up. My guess is the injectors are just frozen. Talked to Cyberhorn and will see about getting them working later on. Thanks cyberhorn!!!

Here is where I removed the crimp on the yellow wire. The blue wire runs two other injectors.
Name:  pic6_zps8f988275.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  76.5 KB

Here is the two ground wires that all come together. I wasnt sure I could get all 4 soldered together so just cleaned them up and re wrapped them.
Name:  pic5_zps30dbb119.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  30.4 KB

Here is the small little crimps in the harness. A poor design and is just wrapped with electrical tape from the factory.
Name:  pic7_zpsebeec88d.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  34.5 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-24-2014 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

It will run on its own now, Wahoo!! Still have a hundered details to take care of. I will be ordering 3 more EV1 style connectors for the injectors. I think these are a great improvement over the factory ones and the ones on this harness are toast. Also got the battery cables replaced as some one in the past did a poor job on replacing them.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
It will run on its own now, Wahoo!! Still have a hundered details to take care of. I will be ordering 3 more EV1 style connectors for the injectors. I think these are a great improvement over the factory ones and the ones on this harness are toast. Also got the battery cables replaced as some one in the past did a poor job on replacing them.
That's great news terry!! I had a set if them once that were frozen up from sitting. I know you can send them out to witch hunter and get them cleaned and rebuilt for around 100$. There's another one that kornhuskerwizard used, but I cannot remember the name. Using noid lights and a voltmeter make a world of difference in figuring things out.

What is the difference in the EV1 connector? I know there were a few different type connectors based on years.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Gizzler00. I had the wrong link posted and had to edit. It isnt the mini one, but if you call him and tell what it is, he will know. The other style is for 88 and then the 89 and up is another style. It keeps you from putting in the wrong injector as they look the same but 88 is the stand alone year and is different resistance. http://www.connectorsfast.com/

The EV1 style is what 85-87 uses. I learned that from talking to the guy at connector fast.com Really helpful guy.
85-87 Injector connectors EV1 Style.

More connectors for 88/89
www.bmotorsports.com
www.connectorsfast.com

Here is what I use for a Noid light if you ever need one. I bought another one that is green and will post the part number for it as well.>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...t-22re-270857/ I wasnt able to find a Noid Light and found this to work out great.

I had to edit the link but connectorfast.com is the place to get the EV1 Style.

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-18-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hello Gizzler00. I had the wrong link posted and had to edit. It isnt the mini one, but if you call him and tell what it is, he will know. The other style is for 88 and then the 89 and up is another style. It keeps you from putting in the wrong injector as they look the same but 88 is the stand alone year and is different resistance. http://www.connectorsfast.com/ The EV1 style is what 85-87 uses. I learned that from talking to the guy at connector fast.com Really helpful guy. 85-87 Injector connectors EV1 Style. More connectors for 88/89 www.bmotorsports.com www.connectorsfast.com Here is what I use for a Noid light if you ever need one. I bought another one that is green and will post the part number for it as well.>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...t-22re-270857/ I wasnt able to find a Noid Light and found this to work out great. I had to edit the link but connectorfast.com is the place to get the EV1 Style.
Thanks for the info terry. It's always nice to know that there are other places out there to get what we need.

It's even better when you can make your own testers instead of spending high$$ for a kit that you might use a few times.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
WOOOHOOOO gummy stuck injectors 9v battery an carb cleaner click them bad boys a few times while blasting them ill bet the free right up
Old 04-19-2014, 06:27 AM

I second Cyberhorn hook them up and squirt away.

Here's a vid of guy cleaning them up himself.

[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]
Old 04-19-2014, 12:08 PM

I never thought about trying this myself. I have some injectors at the shop. I might just give this a whirl.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance