86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks Mark..Enjoyed to talking to you today and seeing the progress you are making. You will have your runner up and running in no time at all. When it is all said and done I think you are going to like the fact that you have been thru your runner from one end to another. After doing a harness swap, body swap, and a complete drive train rebuild wont be much you cant do. Might have to get you a paint gun for Christmas,lol, then you will have all of your bases covered.

Hello Greg.. I agree with you. The back ones don't look so bad, some reason I just don't care for the front ones as well.

Hello yotarob2005... Is a nice surprise seeing you. You were one of the first ones that welcomed me to Yotatech. Welcome back. How you been doing. I seen somewhere you have to get rid of your old 86. Maybe something will come along for you soon. I got my 88 finished and am happy with how it has turned out. Just the other day the clutch went out, which I knew it was going to soon, but with this cooler weather I have been putting it off. Still going to put it off for a while longer until it warms up. The motor is over 300k miles on it and is starting to get weak. I just did a top end rebuild on it so I am saving up for a new motor for it, but it has been a great truck. Just need to get the seats reupholstered and it is done.

I bought an 86 runner as a parts truck for the 88 and it was in such great shape as far as the body was concerned that I restored it. It was a junk as far as everything else on it goes, and now I am happy with how is turning out. I was thinking of letting my son build it but I have changed my mind on it and it is staying mine. Was driving it the other day and after what I have done to it, I just am not letting it go. It is going to be getting a full on SR5 conversion later on in the summer.

I went thru a few different trucks and came across a junked out 85 extra cab pickup. body and frame are in excellent shape and is something I can make how I want it. It is going to be my next major build for this summer. I got a goal of getting it done by September. I got my runners in the calendar and I am shooting for getting my pickup in next years calendar. Just waiting for some warmer weather to get here. Was disappointed in what I got accomplished last summer and this winter as it was to hot or to cold, but I got my shop insulated and have great expectations for this year.

That has it fairly caught up to what I have been up to. I have done several other trucks as well but my 2 runners and pickups are the ones I am making my keepers.

Thanks Tylersrig... I am in the Army Guard. I suppose to retire in June, but am on the list to possibly go in November. That is still up for decisions. This is a great group of guys that I would go with so that would be good. If they decide to leave me back that would good as well.

I have flown numerous times over there and the Air Guard was who I preferred to fly with when I had to. I was concerned when I had to fly with them at first as being part timers, but having taken two different flights with them and getting shot up, the pilots were both air guard each time and they did great each time. They just have it working better then the army does. I did fly with Blackwater one time and they did just as well. The Air Forces MPs, they were a pain in the rear and not sure I would miss them a whole lot.

If I go, I will stay active on Yotatech, I am in transportation. Not many bases I haven't been to over there and would look you up while there. I have spent a lot of time at Bagram, Sharana, Airborne, Warrior, Shank, Gardez, Ghazni, Salerno, McClain, Kabul, Jalalabad, Orgun-E, and some at Kandahar. We get all over the place.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I was driving the 86 and I think I want to just turn it into a fully loaded SR5. I have plenty to keep me busy so it probably wont happen til the end of summer. The 88s clutch just went out, which I knew it was and have one ready to go for sometime, just wasn't going to mess with it while it is cold.

I have been thru my ignition system from one end to the other and the other day it clicked twice before it started. I am going to do RADs upgrade and do away with any future problems as well.

Not really a whole lot left to do on it, just making it more dependable and upgrading it which wont take much time if we could just get out of this cold weather.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I really need 50 more passwords to keep up with. I went to order some parts from Rockauto and forgot where I wrote that password at.Doh!!! Got it reset, so I am waiting for the Santa in the brown suit to show up.

Got a whole stash of parts waiting to go on most of my trucks, but with this weather, things are going to have to wait. All of my trucks are screaming for an oil change which reminds me I need to make a trip to Toyota for some oil filters and some plugs for the 3rd gen runner.

Mistys clutch finally gave out. Have a new clutch ready to go and I have a spare flywheel that I will take in and have turned so I wont have to wait on that when I get to it. Was getting some information for Mark by comparing Mistys truck and seen she has a leak in the tranny or tcase area. I went thru her tranny and tcase with Toyota seals when I had it out the last time, not sure what is going on there. Did the same with my 86 and it doesnt leak a drop.

My 86 have most of the front end parts to completely rebuild it. I still need to get all the bushings, pitman arm, and shocks for it and will do that soon,

The 3rd gens brakes rotors are out of round again and they would be to thin to turn again. I have new rotors and pads ready to go for it but I am hoping I can get it to hold together til warmer weather. If it gets metal to metal, I will get those changed out. Also I have a charcoal canister or what ever that emissions junk is that needs changed out. I over filled it and flooded it out. I dont care to pump gas and would get every drop in I could. Dont do that. Got that part ready to go as well.

The 85 is just needs to be put back together and then a friend will help me figure out why it isnt getting fire to the coil. He has offered to come pick it up and take it to his shop when I get the harness back in. To cold to be doing that. Once I get it figured out, things will move quick on it as I have several things ready for it as well. Just dont remember what they are.

I think if I could get 2 or 3 good days on the 86 extra cab, I could get it wrapped up. This winter just wont end.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I created a thread Tools Tips and Tricks https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f122...tricks-278208/ If you got any ideas add to them. I know I have some more things that I just cant think of right now. One will be Cyberhorns Electrolis Tank and Jasons welding of nails with a wire welder to act as a stud gun for pulling dents. I know there are more things that can be listed. Always looking for more ideas.

Last edited by Terrys87; 02-28-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Terry glad to see your enjoyin life and workin on your rigs, just gettin caughht up on your progress!! More cold weather here so tryin to stay warm!!
Old 03-01-2014, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks kornhuskerwizard...Things are going good. Just waiting for this weather to warm up. I picked up some more parts today and should be getting some in the mail soo. Once it warms up, I will be a busy guy. In the meantime I just keep stacking the parts and looking for good deals.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Two days ago I was driving the 86 and each time I drive it, I still feel like I am in a new car from looking at the dash. I replaced my dashpad with a near perfect one awhile back that I had gotten out of a camper at the bone yard. It had two different hairline cracks in different places. Barely noticeable.

Near perfect at one time. (older picture)
Name:  interior12_zpsfbfd0587.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  89.1 KB

Today I was is in the runner and this happended over nite. Must have been the cold that got ito it. It cracked all the way to the front. Grrrr!!!
Name:  dashcracked1_zps6da1102b.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  45.3 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-01-2014 at 04:30 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have some spare dashpads that are cracked really bad. During my lunch break at work I am going to try doing Coraxs dash pad fix. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123...repair-230891/

I picked up the Fiberglass material. I havent worked with Fiberglass a whole lot so will see how it goes.

The Victim.
Name:  dashcracked2_zps7144eb99.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  110.7 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-01-2014 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
I have some spare dashpads that are cracked really bad. During my lunch break at work I am going to try doing Coraxs dash pad fix. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123...repair-230891/

I picked up the Fiberglass material. I havent worked with Fiberglass a whole lot so will see how it goes. Photobucket wont let me post a picture of the dashpad, I will post a picture later.
I have to repair a dash on another rig.
Look forward to see your results.
I've never done it before.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine did the same thing this winter. Perfect when I installed the new one and now its cracked. Another reason why winter sucks. Only good reasons are my wife bakes alot, hunting, ice fishing, and sitting by my fire place watching football lol and my dogs love the snow
Old 03-02-2014, 06:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Curious to see how the fiberglass works out. I think if you can make sure it bonds to the dash good, it will be rock solid and look great.

Can't wait to see the results
Old 03-02-2014, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello ksti..I always thought it was that was hard on these but the cold makes more sense to me as it contracts and something has to give when that happens. I had a perfect 93 dash in the shop and was curious how it made out. It cracked to. I had it in a box and wrapped in plastic. I try to get good parts when I get the chance to. I have very little experience in fiberglass but situations like these are all bad, it makes you get out of your comfort zone. I am actually looking forward to see if this turns into something or a disaster. lol

Hello dsal...I have got to try all of those except ice fishing. Never got a chance to do that. I know in some places it is a big tradition. One of my sister in laws is from Minnesota and that is something they live by. The windshield shop was closed the other day for some reason. I will be going by there tomorrow and should be able to let you know something by tomorrow evening on the rubber gasket.

Hello Gizler... I just got the fiberglass on and it currently drying as I type. At this point I am feeling good about it and looking forward to seeing if this could turn into a great learning experience. I kind of looking forward to it. I am sure there will be a few things to work out but so far so good. Tomorrow should be interesting.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

What I did was mix up some body filler and filled the cracks. I had some pictures and not sure where they went. After the body filler dried, I just smoothed it out with 320 grit sandpaper.
Name:  fiberglass4_zpsa85a4d15.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  69.1 KB

I could of used 2 more c-clamps, but I laid the fiberglass mat over the pad and allowed about 2 inches of extra mat around the edges. In one of the links where Coraxs linked off of the 240sx, the guy used glue to hold it down. I poured it on the mat and once it soaked thru the mat, it was sticky enough to hold. In one of the links, someone says they had issues with the threads getting every where. I found by taking a lighter to the edges, it didn't really melt the fiberglass mat but kept the threads from separating easily and I didn't have this problem.
Name:  fiberglass3_zpsb5f443c3.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  72.4 KB

I laid the mat over the dash and didn't really brush the liquid on, but more or less dabbed it to get it to soak thru. One problem I did have was where the pocket and vents are, it would keep pulling the mat up in other areas. What I did then was to add some relief cuts with a razor blade. This seemed to fix my problem of the mat moving. You will see whiteish spots where the mat is not making contact with the dash and just do a little dabbing to correct any errors. Also I had plenty of time to work with it. Bondo sets up fast, but fiberglass you have a lot more curing time.
Name:  fiberglass2_zpsb9bf1a5c.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  123.5 KB

Here is the dash covered in fiberglass. My intentions tomorrow is to put a light coat of body filler over the entire dash. I will do some more research and see if that is the best way to go as of know. I know I will lose factory texture that came on these, so I as of now plan on going for a smooth finished look. That could change depending on what I find in more researching.
Name:  fiberglass1_zps19890b38.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  82.9 KB
Old 03-02-2014, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I was looking for information on fiberglass and found this for body filler. Also some other information that might be of interest.

http://bondo.com/tips
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123...repair-230891/
http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wa...ad-repair.html
http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/re...lkthrough.html

I used about 1/3 of the can and not showing in the picture of the can of fiberglass is a tube of hardner in the top of the can.

The can of Resin is $20
The mat is $7

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-02-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

The 4th is our 12th anniversary. Now if I can only remember it between now and then. We are in single digit weather, it is cold and a lot of ice and starting to get snow. I am hoping this is the last of winter. I can keep hoping.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
The 4th is our 12th anniversary. Now if I can only remember it between now and then. We are in single digit weather, it is cold and a lot of ice and starting to get snow. I am hoping this is the last of winter. I can keep hoping.
Congrats on the anniversary. I always tend to forget when it gets close and the wife sometimes has to remind me.

The dash looks good so far. Do you have to lightly scuff the fiberglass for the bondo to adhere to it? I have never done that before. Glad you are posting this up for us to see.

I was a little nervous this morning when I went out to start the yota. It was so cold, and I was paranoid about the dash after I saw the hairline crack you showed.

Cant wait to see more updates.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats on the anniversary Terry, they sure have a way of sneaking up on you, lol.

Nice work on the dash so far! This is something I need to do, but have been reluctant to try, lol. I think just the thought of pulling the dash pad has been the biggest thing holding me back, lol, I'll have to go back and re-read your thread, I remember you showing where the hidden screws were located. Now that I'm starting to finally devote some time to my interior I'm going to have to address the cracks in my dash. I just got done going through Corax's thread and like the idea of the gauge pods. I've been wanting to find a place to mount my aftermarket gauges, I always thought that using an inclinometer housing to mount the gauges would be cool, and give it a factory looking appearance, I just dont think i could bring myself to gut one out unless it was in bad shape. Keep up the good work Terry, I look forward to seing how it turns out!

Last edited by rustED; 03-03-2014 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Gizzler00.. I will need to scuff up the resin to get it smoother, It actually has a slight run in one area and I would scuff it anyways just to make sure I get good adhesion. I will try to post some indepth pics of it. I sometimes have to go back thru my thread for a reminder and tips on something I havent done in awhile.

I am hoping I find a way to salvage these pads that will look nice. I have a few more pads for experimenting with as well. I checked it 4 hours later and it was just starting to cure. I moved it to a heated room and will get back to in on Wedensday. Takes longer to cure then what I would of thought. I know the possibilities of fiberglass is endless and is still a little new to me. Anniversarys come quick.

Thanks Ed.. It has been a great marriage. Finding a yota inclineometer is hard to find. Might want to keep an eye out for a Monteros meter. Quite similar to a toyota. I think they look good.

Getting the passenger vent out is the hardest. Be patient as that plastic is brittle. I been thinking of removing or adjusting the bottom tabs to make it a little easier. In the video below, I intentionally had the vents at an angle to face them straight and show where the tabs are at. Sometimes you have to keep trying to get at each tab and if that is being stubborn, go to the next one.

Sometime a copy and paste wont move all of the info over. I will post this in your thread as well. I got Toyotas manual pics in as well. Once get the vent out it is easy after that.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51778558

Not the best video, but I tried to make it a lot less stressing and think it will help on getting the vent out.
Video I made to get the passenger vent out.

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-20-2014 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

We got hit with snow and ice today. Probably not the smartest move being by myself and 10 degree weather, but I went on the power line trails and wanted to see how my little 86 would do. Dang!!!! I was impressed. With half worn all season tires, it did amazingly well. Dont have any pictures as I was not wanting to get snow inside the truck and it was cold!!! I am going to install the rear heater option as that makes a big difference between mine and Mistys truck. Some day I want to add a 3rd Gen elocker to it as well.

Misty wanted to take hers snow wheeling but her clutch is out and I am not messing with it til it warms up. Never really got to chance to take either one of them snow wheeling. Had a blast in mine.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats on the anniversary Terry woot on wheelin in the snow! i did it a bit an then unintentionally did a doughnut LOL

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance