86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello kelvinb...How are things going? I hear that stones are about as the most painful thing you can experience. I thought she may have ruptured an appendix when she first started hurting. I know that can turn into a bad situation. They put her on morphine when we got to the emergency room. Others say the same thing when they have them as well.

LOL kornhuskerwizard...A friend of mine had one of those airplanes. On its first minute of flight, he put it into the tailgate a guys truck bed. When I was a kid, I seen some parachuting on TV. I was young, 8 years old or so, and I thought that looked fun. So I grabbed a plastic trash bag and climbed the tallest hay truck I could find and jumped off thinking I was just going to drift down and enjoy the view. Owww!!! I hit the ground and almost blew my leg bones out of their sockets. That hurt. This would be dull old world if it weren't for the male species and their misadventures. A rednecks famous last words "Hey... Watch this!

Hello Nervo19...This winter has just been terrible. I am getting cabin fever. Soon as the weather warms up, I am taking some time off and getting somethings done around here. What gen of runner are you getting or looking at? We had a 2001 Astro van and paid it off 2 years early. One week after getting it paid off, it broke down with the wife and kids out on the interstate. It had been in the shop a few other times before that and that is what made me get into Toyotas. My 3rd gen was the first Toyota and made a great replacement for a minivan. Minivans are great when you have young kids and family vehicles.

I had a 91 4runner and it was a great family vehicle but I was unaware of the frame being rusted. I didn't know how to swap frames then or I would of kept it, now wish I would of parted it as it was a nice truck and the parts would of fixed several other trucks.

I enjoy going back thru my threads and seeing where I have been. I go to church with my insurance agent and a few years back I showed my 88 thread and what all I had done to it. I have suggested having a thread to someone on the homepage before that it is nice to have some kind of record for insurance purposes as well just incase anything ever happens to one of my trucks, that I have some kind of proof of what I have into them. I still need to get them appraised, but he said even with what I have on here would help in a claim. I hope to never find out about having to make a claim but it has to help. With the high miles on my trucks, they would probably only be worth a nickel in Blue Book.

My brother and me are in the water/wastewater field and up until a few years ago, he was actually the Chief Operator for my water supply. He is a water fanatic. I forgot to mention that he has kidney stones in the past and since he went to work for a different company, our water quality has gone downhill. We graduated high school with a top dog in the Dept. of Natural Resources in Missouri and have access to him. My wife knows his wife real well so need to check and see if there is anything there.

Last training I went to Missouri was prosecuting a water operator and a wastewater operator for negligence. You would be surprised at some water systems out there. Water towers can get neglected and can be a source for problems also. Some communities like the revenue generated by the water system but don't like doing the upkeep that is needed.

Hello Ray...Before you paint, put a sealer over it to cover the old color. Otherwise you will need several layers of primer or paint to cover it. After the initial cost of getting the supplies, cost goes way down and nearly isn't as hard as it led to believe to do. You will get a great sense of satisfaction as well. I wish I would of started earlier then what I have.

I have a few things I want to get accomplished and then I want to start adding the tools and things to get more involved into doing bodywork. Having helped and watched others do things, it is just a matter of jumping in and getting some experience.

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-08-2014 at 03:09 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

We got down to -10 degrees and had a few small issues. Misty called me and said her runner was blowing steam. I got home and checked it out and it was blowing around the radiator cap. Looked at the cap and the seal is just cracked and dry. Replaced it and so far no other issues. I will be checking it again here soon to make sure all is okay on it.

I want to rebuild or swap her motor as it is getting low on compression but am putting it off til spring or summer. I put 400 miles on it last week and no problems but also while checking the radiator, it did the starter clicking. It will start but you have to hit the key several times at times. I will clean the Starter Relay contacts and replace the contacts in the starter as well. That will wait for warmer weather too. This is just to cold to be messing with trucks.

I thought while I was working on Mistys I would give mine a quick look over as it had been sitting over nite. I squeezed the radiator hose and could tell there was slush in the hose. It wasn't frozen solid so that was a relief. Now I am concerned about how well Prestone is for cold weather. I have always used Prestone, but I know a few years back they changed to formula so as it does not have a sweet taste to dogs if I understand it right. It had a sweet taste and dogs would drink it and it caused internal bleeding to them. So they switched formulas.

I checked all the trucks out a month ago in preparation for cold weather coming and they were testing great for this cold we had. I then checked two different jugs of straight antifreeze I had in the shop and they were not frozen solid but was closer to syrup. I know you don't want straight anti freeze but it shouldn't be that thick in my mind.

I might be switching to a different brand or even looking at the red antifreeze. Something I will need to start searching around about for information on.

Other news, I have to do a 4 day guard drill starting Thursday. They are expecting a government shut down in February and so we are doing Thursday and Friday for Februarys drill. Guess it is as good of time as any as it is to cold to do anything otherwise.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep gotta keep a close eye on coolant when it gets this cold
Old 01-08-2014, 11:59 PM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Thanks for the tips on painting the shell, Terry!

Originally Posted by Terrys87
... it did the starter clicking. It will start but you have to hit the key several times at times. I will clean the Starter Relay contacts and replace the contacts in the starter as well...
While you're working on the starting system, I strongly suggest that you fix what's known to be broken, and I'm absolutely sure the wiring to starter solenoid on 22RE trucks 86-88 is a broken design. Really easy to fix with simple tools, and no need to take things apart.

Kingjerd was the last one I know who did it. Here's how we verified the concept on his truck.

Best regards,
Ray
Old 01-22-2014, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dos any one know how much it would be to inshore a 1986 pickup
Old 01-22-2014, 03:03 PM

Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Hey Terry! Saw your build got bumped and was hoping there was some new action on your builds.

I hope all is right with your family. I know your wife was sick. I hope she's better.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello kornhuskerwizard...I think I got it taken care of. I add more anti freeze to it and rechecked it. I think what the whole problem was that the raditor cap seal is what started the steaming. It was in bad condition and hasnt caused any problems since. Whew!!! I am going to do a new motor for it this spring but just didnt want any prolems till then. Trying to get it thru til then. It is still running great, just no compression.

Your Welcome RAD... I like your upgrade and want to get it done on our trucks here. As soon as I can get out there I also need to do something similar to the 85. The 85s dont have a Starter Relay and I am sure that is a poor design as well.

Hello 86toyotaprerunner14... Welcome to my thread. If I understand right, to insure your truck shouldnt be much. If I recall right, and I should as I just paid my insurance and didnt pay that much attention to the bill which is bad on me, mine is around $125 every 6 months or a year, not sure which. A new paint job would just about total one of these out just for their age and mileage.

Your age and driving record will determine alot of that. When I was young, I was paying a $100 a month, but my age and lead foot was a part of that cost. Missouri sent me a nasty gram telling me one more ticket and I was going to lose my license. I paid my tickets and thought they should like good paying customers, apparently not in their eyes.

Since then I have only had one claim for $800. I was driving a brand new piece of junk 98 Ranger and the antil lock brakes were junk and I bumped a girl in the back end that was minor damgage.

Other then that I have a great driving record and being married and multiple trucks, inusrance is low for me. Pay attention to your driving record is about the biggest reason for your insurance.

Hello Nervo... Thanks and she is feeling great now. Glad it is over now and things are back to normal and it wasnt any thing serious. This weather has been keeping me in the house or working on the house. Trying to get it a little more insulated and cutting the cost down on utilities.

I have been accumilating a few parts and wanting to get out to the bone yard to get some things as well. I got plenty to keep me busy once it gets warmer. I am ready for a vacation and things should start to move agaon as soon as it warms up. Did you get that runner?

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-23-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Seems like I have been busy with several different things. Which is good as soon as it warms up at least I will be able to work on the trucks with out getting distracted. I missed the anniversary date of my runners. On the 11th of this month the 88 was 3 years old again and my 86 was 2 years old again. Doesnt seem possible that it has been that long.

Also I have had my 3rd gen runner for 10 years now in February and had it paid off for 8 years. I pulled my credit report and it took a hard dip in the score. Reason was for lack of credit. After getting my 3rd gen paid off I used the payment money for everything else and got bill free. Now all of the previous good credit is starting to roll off. Toyotas will ruin your credit. Just kidding, credit scores are a scam anyways but there are times when you need it. Hopefully I am past that. My other trucks I get and work on them when I have the funds or otherwise they sit. After having several domestic trucks and getting them paid off and having to go get another one no sooner after paying it off as it would start to break down. Wish I would of known of Toyotas earlier.

I retire from the Guards on June 10th. When you are 90-120 days out you have to turn in all of your equipment. Cant believe how fast that time went. I tried to get 20 years in other places and went thru two layoffs. I am hoping third time is a charm. A few hours after turning my equipment in, I was told I was on the list of possibly going to the sand box again in November. I have seen them send retirees over before and I really dont think I will be going but who knows.

I wouldnt respect someone for trying to not go so I wouldnt try to get out of it but if they skip me that would be just fine as well. It may be politically incorrect but women and age should be a factor in some of the jobs over there. It takes a lot of physical strength and it is getting harder for my old butt.

The number of people that have never left their back yards and their first time anywhere is over there is suprisingly high. A lot of the young kids that come in now know it all and cant wait to go. Then something bad happens and cant get them to leave base. I probably dont have the patience that I should have with some of them but every now an then you get one or two as an exception. We got one kid in there and is scared to death and really wants some of us older ones to go and help him get back. He has alway been a great kid.

The 3rd gens brakes are out of round againnnn. I have new tires on it and have turned both rotors and new brakes. Guess it is a common issue on these trucks. I will say I have never had such front end problems on trucks as I have on this one and I cant complain as it is about the only problem I have had with this truck and it is until recently so an fortunate in that. I was looking at doing the Tundra upgrade but before I do that, I am going to try to get the drill and slotted rotors and see if that fixes this problem. Seems a common issue on these 3rd gen runners. It doesnt take long to do brakes on a 3rd gen but it is going to have to wait til it gets warmer.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:21 AM

Thanks tarry I hope the family is doing good
Old 01-23-2014, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks... All is going great. As far as motor wiring wise, the 86 is closer to an 85. These make some great trucks, but age, abuse, and neglect will take their toll on them. Take your time and work out the issues and a slow and steady pace will get you there. A pickup is easier and cheaper to restore or repair then a runner mostly due to the interior. I looked at your profile and you have a great start. Looking forward to your build.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:50 AM

Thanks man I like your build looking foreword to an updates.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello 86toyotaprerunner14...Just as soon as it warms up, I have plenty to keep me busy. All 3 of my build threads will taking off and I have a few other projects in the making as well. I have an 85 truck that I want to have ready for next years calendar and I need a truck anyways so I will go thru it completely. My youngest son wants to take a parts runner I have in the back and start working on it and he is going to be doing all of the work on it, so I have plans for him to do a complete teardown, clean up, and start putting together what parts I have available for him. I will be slow build. He is wanting it slimer green with black trim on 35s or larger. Will wait and see how that goes. Just waiting on warmer weather.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I received a center console from Grego92 and the pictures don't do it justice. It looks better in person then what the pictures show. I have followed along with several of his projects and his attention to the details is amazing. This center console is a hard one to find and is actually the first one I have seen in person. Have seen them on threads or pictures elsewhere but not in this part of the country. It will be going into the 86 truck I am working on. Great job Grego92!!! I am envious of your restoration skills and something I enjoy seeing done on several different things. I am an American Restorations fan.
Name:  IMG_0685_zpsf85d1d7c.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  121.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0684_zps4d944d7f.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  125.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0687_zps010a49fd.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  141.4 KB[/QUOTE]
Old 01-31-2014, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I did help a friend get an 85 SR5 running and put back together. This is the 2nd chance that I could have an 85 SR5 and one I wouldn't mind having due to it being one of the hardest ones to find, but I will have to pass on it. Has the sunroof, SR5 seats and most options. Probably kick myself in the butt later as I like the rarer of a truck.

I got another hot tub and used Mistys runner to put my old tub on my trailer so that the delivery guys could put the new one in its place. Both guys used to have older Toyotas several years ago and really liked seeing her runner in good condition.

One of the guys had a standard cab 85 and I told him I had an extra cab in the shop. He was unaware of extra cabs and then seeing mine was fuel injected, he seemed to enjoy seeing the yotas in different stages of builds. He builds Ford trucks and does the motor, bodywork, and paint his self and knows what it is to do a complete build. He had pictures of different projects he has done on his phone and was quite impressed.

I am ready for this winter to get over with. My pants are starting to shrink or I putting on a few pounds. Probably the latter. Starting to get cabin fever. Got more bad weather heading this way, grrr.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:38 PM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
I received a center console from Grego92 and the pictures don't do it justice.
That's a beautiful console, indeed. Good job, Grego & Terry!
Old 02-02-2014, 02:29 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Glad you like it Terry! check your PM...more stuff on the way
Old 02-17-2014, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello RAD... Grego did a great job, I was impressed. You can tell in his threads the work he does and how well it turns out. It is nice seeing it in person.

Hello Grego...I got the package. Thanks and I appreciate it. The weather is starting to warm up so should be putting some of the parts to use here soon. I hope winter is finally out of here.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have Cabin Fever and this winter has been the most that I have sit still for a long period of time and was driving me up the wall. This winter has been long and I see the build threads have slowed way down and I have not done anything as well. It has just been to cold to do anything. I got some basic maintaince to do that I have been putting off and neglecting on the trucks. Hope to get that caught up soon.

I did watch Back to the Future for the first time. Seeing the extra cab in the show had me wanting to get mine going. I just never watched a lot of shows as that requires me to sit still. When I was single, I didn't have tv as I never used it.( Speaking of tv, the one we had quit so had to get a new one.) A friend of mine said if I got the 85 put together that I could bring it to his heated shop and we could figure out its firing problem. It was to cold for me to even want to do that. BTTF has me wanting to get mine on the road soon. When I get it running it will get done quick. I will have it done by the end of summer and looking good.

I want to get it running and see what I think of driving a solid axle truck. I may have a chance of getting an 85 runner frame and if I like how a solid axle rides, I will do a FRAS, Frame Solid Axle Swap, sometime down the road. I want to see how my 85 rides before I do that. I don't want to do a full blown SAS, just the factory style. That will wait and see how that goes. That is about par for me though, I had a set of 84 axles and thought the likely hood of me coming across a 85 runner frame would be slim to none so I sold the axles. grrr. Oh well. The frame is still in the air but there is a chance it will become available and it something I would look into if I like the ride. If I don't like the ride it wont happen. Doing a frame swap would not worry me.

With this past snow storm we had, I fell and bopped my jawbone and a few days later that resulted me in getting a tooth pulled. I had not fell on my butt in several years and that has turned into a big fiasco. When I was younger, I rode bulls, motorcycles and played football. Didn't worry about taking care of my body. Now I try slowing down and taking care of things and seems like it goes the other way. Getting old is for the birds. I use to jump in line to get shots or stitched up. This time when the dentist pulled the needle out I wanted to run as fast as I can. Starting to hate needles.

I have been building up parts mostly to do a complete front end rebuild on my 86 runner. Something I never thought about is replacing the Rag joint, the piece that connects from the steering rod to the gear box. I learned that it can cut out a lot of vibrations in the steering and I want the 86 to drive and steer as new as I can possibly make it. If by chance later on I do a FRAS, any part I put on the 86 would just get moved to Mistys runner. I will be doing ball joint, tie rods, all bushings, idler arm and shocks. Hoping it is as good as when it was new.

The weather is starting to warm up and I am ready to get back at it. I will finish up the 22r to 22re conversion, I figure I have a few days to get that done. Not much really to do the 86 runner after the front end, I want to finish up the trunk area and get the tailgate pieces on it and it is basically done. I want to get to the boneyard as there is a headliner in a runner that I want to replace mine with. Maybe a few other small things but nothing I can really think of right off for the 86. Mostly going to be getting my 85 going is the next big thing. I am ready to come out of hibernation, I put on 25 pounds and several of my jeans have shrunk this winter. Not sure what caused that. Things should start moving again for me in the next few days.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
nodnod yes yes want warmer weather! i feel like a giant dragon shaped hamster in too small a box
laps at soda bottle an nose types on keyboard while running in giant wheel
Old 02-18-2014, 06:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Terry, sorry to her about your jaw/tooth, hope you're doing better now! II had to laugh on your pants shrinking comment, I've mysteriously had a similar problem, gained about 15-20ish lbs myself, something about winter, its like I get bored and all I want to do is eat, lol. I can't wait for winter to be over, I have a lot of projects that I want to finish, just can't seemed to get motivated to work on them. I really like the center console that you got from Grego, it turned out really nice, I wish I had that taller style of console in my 4 runner, it looks like it has twice as much storage as the one that came in mine, plus the padded armrest is a nice feature! I started building a new console for my 4runner for that very reason, I picked up a lock cylinder for it yesterday, now I just need to get motivated to finish welding it up, haven't decided whether I'm going to paint it, or upholster it yet. Look forward to warmer weather for all of us soon!

Last edited by rustED; 02-18-2014 at 06:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance