86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hope Mistys ok. Did you figure out why your not getting and power to the coil??? Have you looked at a wiring diagram for that circuit?? Hope you figure it out as im curious to see what it is.

Its also very cold here my stove is eating up wood like a train eating coal and still only maintaining 65 to 70 degrees.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:36 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Oh myyy! I watched my father go through that and it looks like he was going to die he was in so much pain... Please let her know that I am praying for her!
Old 01-03-2014, 08:42 AM

I was watching that oddities show on tv and they had a ston e as big as a golfball!!!! Unbeleivable. Thank god technology has allowed them to be broken down smaller.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:21 PM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Painting Fiberglas Cap

Sorry for un-intentional hijacking, Terry. Move to my thread.
Regards,
Ray

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 01-04-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:34 PM

Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Holy heck RAD! $500 to paint your fiberglass top? Terry has all the experience and equipment to spray but if you search around here enough you will see lots of people have painted their own tops cheaply. If you think you might eventually paint the whole truck you can get a 20 gallon or bigger compressor and Harbor Freight paint gun for under $400. You can spray paint it with Rustoleum rattle cans pretty cheaply. Just clean it really well and do a final wipe with denatured alcohol first. Maaco here wants $600 to $1000 to paint a whole vehicle.

Terry, I hope your wife's agony is over. Did they at least give her some pain killers?
Old 01-03-2014, 02:57 PM

Moved to RAD4Runner's Build post here.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 01-04-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ok heres the deal on fiberglass if its showing fibers loose you'll have to put fiberglass resin on an let it soak in then sand apply filler to fill any pits an pin holes primer which aids in paint adhesion and color depth then paint sand lightly (320 grit) second coat of paint will last for a very long time
Old 01-03-2014, 04:01 PM

Get a soft top!! Thats what i want. But not now...its 6 degrees
Old 01-03-2014, 06:14 PM

Moved to RAD4Runner's Build post here.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 01-04-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:09 PM

We're kind of high jacking Terry here. Meet you on your thread?

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post52154843

Last edited by Nervo19; 01-04-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Guys...Dont worry about hijacking here. I try to make my thread a friendly place to be and want it to where a newbie that might be intimidated about asking a question on the homepage that they can feel free to ask it here. I remember when I was new to YT and on the homepage all I ever seen was to Go Search. I try to remove that atmosphere from my thread so if something comes up or a newbie has a question that they feel free to come here. No worries and glad that you guys came here for some answers as well. I enjoyed reading what you guys were talking about. Dont ever worry about hijacking here.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello kornhuskerwizard...They put her on morphine when we got there and now have her on some strong pills. She has her spells but until she passes it, she will be up and down for a while. At first I was really concerned about a ruptured appendics or something severe. Stones are painful and have heard her and other women say it is worse the labor pains.

I have been in the hospital overseas and they werent able to get me healed up. Got to the states and in a few days I was up and moving around. We are very lucky for the advancements we have in medical here. Some of the common things we deal with on a daily basis is life threating elsewhere. Most dont realize how fortunate we really are.

RAD sent me a great wiring diagram and I just somehow cant follow it on the truck. I understand electric just enough to be dangerous. That is where my friend will be able to help me on that as he has a little better understanding of it. We cover each others weaknesses really well. I am curious as to what it is to. My truck looks like it is in bad condition, but once I get it running, I can get it whipped into shape in a quick when I get some warmer weather and time.

Jameser84 has a Back to the Future Truck clone and my friend did some work for him this past weekend and seeing his on the road makes me want mine running. Seeing the 86 extra cab I am working on adds the fire to as I can see what the potential is for mine. These are some great looking trucks when done. What ever it is, it will be a simple fix, it is just finding it. When it is found, the build will move quick on it.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Mark...I appreciate the thoughts and prayers. I was praying hard as well and for as painful as stones are, really it is just a matter of her passing them and being back to her old self again. I was really fortunate on that it isnt as bad as it was looking at first.

My dad had a bad case of them several years ago and they say they are about as painful as anything you can experience. I feel for what your dad went thru and at the time is scary as you just dont know how bad it is.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Ray... Nervo pretty much summed it up as to how I would of done it. I use a red brillo pad and get the glaze off of it. I like to use sealer as it makes everything one color and gives you a chance to fix any imperfections. On the top, with its rough texture, that helps alot as well.

Mechanicing is just getting the part in the correct spot and then tightening to the correct torque. A 22re looks like all of the other 22re's but body and paint work is showing your imagination and takes alot more effort but to me is more satisfying then mechanical work. People really enjoy seeing a nice clean truck going down the road and for as old as these are, seeing one in great condition is a rare event.

Doing the top would be a great first for you and would help remove the intimidation from it. I was so intimidated about body and paint work at first, and now I kick myself in the butt for not doing it sooner. One reason I try to post alot about bodywork on my thread. You really dont see many builds with paint and bodywork.

My compressor is a 10 gallon I think. The gravity fed guns only use 20 or 30 pounds of air and a typical air tank goes to 120. It doesnt take much to really paint. In between rounds of painting, mixing and prepping for the next round, my tank has plenty of time to fill back up.

$500 is about about it would cost to get a top painted at a paint shop, around here $600 would more like it. I got my first compressor for $50 at a pawn shop and you can get paint guns for around $20 and $80 will get you a nice paint gun. Once you get the supplies, it is fairly cheap to do it yourself and the next paint cost will not be nearly as much. Just to paint the top, you could paint it outside on a nice day. Once you mask the glass off, you really dont have much to paint. I paint pieces outside on nice days if it is one or two. A shop somehow can be a dust magnet and less issue outside for things like that. Otherwise getting a shop ready for paint is alot of work.

Paint brands and quality can vary alot. I was taught using Nasson paint and have used other brands. I dont really know how to fade the paint to match the rest of the body is why I paint an entire truck. The top I am sure will be a brighter then the rest of the truck, but being a rough texture, that will offset the brightness. You might find out that painting is something you enjoy once you get over the anxiousness of painting. I think you will find it rewarding and something to be proud of when done. Caution... You might start looking at trucks and thinking " I can fix that" lol.. When I look at a truck, all I am really concerned with is the cab and frame. Any other part that is good on it is a bonus.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Nervo19...Dont worry about hijcaking. I have been thru you Photobucket and see where you have made some progress on getting your runner to where it is now. If you like post some photos of the progress you are making on it as you go on here. I remember what you started with and have enjoyed seeing the progress you have made. Also one day you can go back thru this thread and see how far you have come.

January the 11th, on different years, is when I started the builds on my runners and since have gone back a read thru them and what great memories it was. Sometimes I even wonder if they are the same trucks that I have started with. You will be suprised when you get done with it at how fast all the hardwork is forgotten about.

I always enjoy seeing someone taking on a challenge, one reason I always enjoyed following 92Toy on his motor rebuilds for example. Those builds were completely over his head and he tackeled them with great success. I enjoy the bodywork more and was a little embarrassed when I posted my 86 Runner build but looking back now I am so glad I did. May not look like it but Mistys truck wasnt much better off then my 86 was. I was talking to Jason awhile back and he said he went thru his build for the first time and he felt the same way. Didnt think he would ever get it done and if too doesnt feel like the same truck now. When you get it done, you will have a greater appreciation for it.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn... Jason taught me how to work with fiberglass and what can be done with it. It is a little harder to work with but it isnt going anywhere any time soon when done. I have seen what you have done and have done great as well. You can tell it now, but fiberglass is what we had to do to reconstruct Jasons left rear tail light. It took a hard hit there and he had to do some cutting and pulling and then we had to do some fiberglassing to get it to look right. It was a major job and no way would of bondo worked for what we had to do on it. It turned out great.

One thing I like about bodywork and looking at Jasons tail light area, you would never guess it was damaged like it was. Looking at it now, it just looks like he got a solid runner and added a few things to it. Seeing the repair work you have done on yours is giving me the same thought as well. Looks like it is in great condition, but knowing what it took for you to get it there is something that just has to be experienced.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I've passed kidney stones and no lie, that has been the most excruciating pain I've ever experienced. I've broken both of my arms at the same time, multiple stitches, knee cap rolled off to the side (leg bent the other way). I'd rather give birth than ever have that experience again.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:23 PM

I about had my jewels cut off by a remote control gas powerd airplane.that was scary as well
Old 01-05-2014, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
I about had my jewels cut off by a remote control gas powerd airplane.that was scary as well

There must be a LOT more to that story....

I swear I'm going to do a build thread. At the moment they are predicting the coldest weather in 20 years for my area. That means the garage will be cold. The '89 is serving as a stand for some drywall right now cause we're redoing a bath.

In other news I'm going to look at a blue 4Runner tomorrow to replace the minivan.

Are you on well water Terry? It's weird that both your dad and wife have had trouble with kidney stones. I wonder if there's too much calcium in your drinking water. I hope she's doing better.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:47 PM

Thanks a lot, Terry. You DA MAN!
And Thanks, guys!

Originally Posted by kelvinb
I've passed kidney stones...
Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
I about had my jewels cut off ...
After all these stories, painting a fiberglas top isn't as scary anymore - LOL! I think I'll start by sanding everything to give texture, then prime areas where fiberglas/resin is showing, then go from there.

If I manage to paint it myself, fine, If not, will take to Maaco or somewhere.

Thanks, guys!

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance