86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Mark...I got the information for the glass kit. I would have them to remove the trim. It is difficult. Congrats ongetting the gremlin fixed. I knew it was driving you nuts.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

While having the dash out, I am taking care of a few issues. I cleaned an painted the crossbar. I made sure not to cover over my paint marks for the heater cables. That makes a good reference for the cables and makes it alot easier to remember. Some of this is on my threads already, but always new members not knowing of the things below.
Name:  repair1_zps7e28251b.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  52.6 KB

Found 2 problems with the Steering Column that I will be putting in. The horn contact is damaged fairly bad. I got a spare colmn that should have the part to fix it. I need to rent a steering wheel puller. I will do that on Monday and pull the wheel. Not showing in the picture to well, but it is far from making contact.
Name:  repair2_zpsdcb92f4d.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  46.4 KB

Someone has messed up the wire to the Wiper Control Arm. I will splice and solder back together and see if there are any other problems.
Name:  repair5_zpsd66419f8.jpg
Size:  61.2 KB

If I have to replace the Combo Switch, here is the part number. Toyota has several different part numbers for these for the different options from what I can tell. They all look the same and will work, just not all options will operate. Been down that road before.
Name:  repair4_zpsa9af04fa.jpg
Size:  68.5 KB

You have to remove these 2 screws and flip it over to get the correct part number.
Name:  repair3_zps9fad0a24.jpg
Size:  83.3 KB

Condenser was dirty. This truck has been well taken care of. It might look like some of the junk trucks I have worked on in the past, but this is common on nice daily drivers as well. It is from not having Vent Screens on the windshield cowl.
Name:  repair12_zps53eeafdb.jpg
Size:  55.3 KB

Here is the resistor that controls some speeds for the blower. I havent seen one like this as it is not typical. I wonder if it was someones cheap fix. Mark says he has found replacements on Rockauto for $8. I will be checking that site later today for one.
Name:  repair11_zpsa2c0f1e8.jpg
Size:  49.7 KB

Another common problem of debri getting into the windshield cowl. You can hear the debri alot of times in the blower.
Name:  repair10_zps93e00d41.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  85.6 KB

There is alot of dust from the brushes inside the motor. I take an air hose and clean it out. Also cleaned the fan blade assembly.
Name:  repair9_zps16f6ec35.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  76.4 KB

You cant see in the picture, but you can actually see brass windings in there. It was dusty. Nice and clean now.
Name:  repair8_zps80741308.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  53.8 KB

Cleaned the Condenser, make sure drain is clear as well. Washing the condenser wasnt a problem as it is always wet. I soaked the coils in Simple Green and then rinsed with water and an air hose. You can see thru it now.
Name:  repair7_zps636200e2.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  75.4 KB

Here is how it sits in the truck. You can take just the Blower Assembly out by its self, but is difficult. If you pull the AC Condenser out, the Blower comes out so much easier. You will need to recharge the system. I dont know if this truck has been converted from R12 to 134. Will need to look and see about that later. Put Blower in first THEN Condenser.
Name:  repair6_zps153dffe4.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  74.0 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 06-04-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More great work Terry!! Nice pics too
Old 12-24-2013, 11:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Terry,
Just catching up, looks like your in deep, good work as always.
Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like how you cleaned out that heater thing. I'm sure mine is full of all sorts of junk in there.

Btw hope you, Misty, and kids have a great Christmas together.

Last edited by Redeth005; 12-24-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hey terry i hope you an the family have a great christmas an new year to come
Old 12-24-2013, 12:34 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Merry Christmas Eve and Christmas, good buddy! Tell Misty, "play misty for me" hehehehe.... Jk.... Wish her the best, and God bless you and all of yours, Terry!
Old 12-25-2013, 01:26 PM

Nice work terry, Im probably gonna be hitting you guys up alot on bodywork stuff to fix the rust on my runner!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
Old 12-25-2013, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
Nice work terry, Im probably gonna be hitting you guys up alot on bodywork stuff to fix the rust on my runner!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
if you can unbolt it electrolysis strips rust off an leaves items ready for paint ask terry how well it works
wire wheels on most other things then metal repair can begin
Old 12-26-2013, 07:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Terry looks like everything is moving along good! been a while since I have been on and you are still chugg'n along!
Old 12-26-2013, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
if you can unbolt it electrolysis strips rust off an leaves items ready for paint ask terry how well it works
wire wheels on most other things then metal repair can begin
That would be great if i could unbolt the rear qaurters!!
Old 12-26-2013, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Merry christmas and a happy new year to come Terry! catching up on your thread again, so much useful info here and your write ups are so thorough as usual! Good call on the mystery oil with the seized motor! seen to many people just fire up a motor after years of not running then regret it later haha.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks kornhuskerwizard..I will be glad to offer any advise I can on body work. The side panels dont unbolt, wish they did. I have seen where the spot welds are and a spot weld cutter makes life so much easier. I used to drill out spot welds with a drill bit. A spot weld cutter is $6 at Harbor Freight. Soooo much easier using a spot weld cutter. I still kick myself in the butt for not looking into one sooner.

The electrolsis tank does wonder. I will help you get rid of scrap metal around the house. I grabbed every old lawn mower blade I can find now.

Thanks ksiti...Hope you had a great Christmas as well. Some how I do get deep projects. I been driving Mistys 88 a lot recently and it is still just as rewarding as when I first got it done. You send some of the California weather this way I could get alot more done.lol

Hello Mark..Hope you had a great Christmas as well. I had a great Christmas, I didnt have to go to my mother in laws, wife and kids did but not me. I seen some of my family and got to visit some friends so it was great for me. Would of been nice if I could of gotten in the shop. Parts are stacking up and calling my name.

Hello Cyberhorn... Hope you had a great Christmas. When I win that lottery that I dont play, I am moving further south. I know you are having some cold as well. I need to find some parts and throw into the e-tank and let them start cleaning up. Always amazes me when I get into a project and have to stop and clean something no matter how far ahead I try to think. This is the perfect time to be doing stuff like that.

Hello Brandon... You get in around this part of the country lately? When the weather warms up, I got plenty to do. I helped a friend strip down a rusted 1st gen truck and it had the factory Toyota 8 track tape player still in it. We wished we would of hooked up the battery adn see if it would still power on, I dont even know where a guy could get a 8 track tape to test it. Seen some in a flea market a few years ago.

Hello bbrideau... I dont watch much TV, but I do DVR all of the car shows and when I see them pull a car out of the field or one been sitting for years and they try to start it up right away, I want to scream at the TV. Seems like about 2 months after getting it running, it will crack a ring and gouge the cylinder walls. I learned my lesson. 2 weeks sitting and 2 more weeks of slowly turning the motor by hand with MM Oil in it. I still get get excited hearing a motor running for the first time after sitting or building it but I have learned patience from 2 motors going bad on me. When I tore them down, you could see where the rings had rust marks on the walls.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

With this cold in our area, I just havent been getting anything done. I am waiting on some warm weather and have already let my supervisor know as soon as I can get 4 or 5 days straight of warm weather, I want some time off. My runner has sprung a leak at the petcock on the radiator and it would take 5 minutes to fix with a rubber seal and just being out in the cold doesnt excite me enough to get that much done.

Mine having a leak has me driving Mistys runner alot lately and I just still enjoy driving hers. I hadnt drove it in quite some time. It is still my favorite truck. I know some people dont like the red interiors in these trucks, but I was driving it yesterday and it still looks like a new truck inside to me other then the seat covers. I guess it is because it was the first truck that I have been thru bumper to bumper on that I like it so well. My truck is slowly catching up to hers into build wise. When I get it as fun to drive as hers, it will be my next fav. I like how my interior is, just not the riding quality of it yet.

The other day I was driving hers and had a couple about break their necks looking at while going down the road while passing me. I am going to start rebuilding a motor for hers in the near future. I started to go tear down a motor that I have to send the block to the machine shop and do a slow build on it. I have an entire rebuild kit waiting to go but got cold and came inside the house. I want to do a How To Thread on a 22re like I am eventually going to post on a 22r to 22re conversion.

My 85 is in about the same condition as Toms truck is with the exception of I am not getting power to the coil. I have had it together 3 times and tried several different things to figure it out. I have always done 99% of the things myself and this time I am going to put it back together and a friend is going to load it up on his trailer and we will take it to his shop and the both of us will start troubleshooting the electrical problem.

He and I can do body/frame swaps, 22re to 22r or vice versa quick and have both have solved problems together that we couldnt solve on our own. Always fun working with him. I wanted to say I got my 85 going on my own but I am willing to wave the white flag on this one small problem. After that I will get moving on it again. Seeing Toms truck in fresh paint and knowing I am just a spark plug firing off is what is holding me up on it as well as the weather. Even if it was running, messing with it in this cold has me wanting to go into hibernation.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:05 AM

Left alone on Christmas and you did NOT hit the wrenches?????? That's it, I'm moving to the mountains and holding up with all the weapons I can gather ..... what I just read?.....MUST be the apocalypse!!!!! .......Hehe....

Great news on the family and I'm really glad that you have a nice day for Christmas!
Old 12-27-2013, 09:09 AM

Btw, send your body over here will you? Lol. Just kidding, but boy is it great to have a guy like that around! Obviously I just wish I was that guy... But since I'm not it certainly would be nice to have a nearby guru!
Old 12-27-2013, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
That would be great if i could unbolt the rear qaurters!!
i have seen a man do an entire 48 ford body using a dc stick welder but yeah being able to unbolt the rears would be nice
Old 12-27-2013, 05:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I hope the weather warms up for you Terry, I feel your pain, lol, I've kinda been in hibernation mode myself lately, very hard to get motivated!

I gathered all the parts to do a 22re EFI swap on my 2nd 83' Toyota that I owned a few years back (before I got my 4runner) I had the ecu, complete EFI, and wiring harness, and then never did it. Ended up selling everything and trading off the truck. Now I'm on my third 83' and have been having a lot of problems with my stock Aisin carb, I'm still interested in doing the EFI swap, although I've been reading up on some diesel swaps lately...

Last edited by rustED; 12-27-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:09 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark... I missed out on some nice days. I am the youngest at my job (46) and with the other guys, our age is starting to catch up with us old firts. Got a few out on health issues and having to cover for them is taking it toll. Will be gald when things get back to normal.

Working with my friend, it amazes me what we can get done on a project in a day and just how fast the day goes by when we get going on a project. Literally feels like you have been in the shop a few hours. When Jason and me painted his runner, what we got done in those 3 days was unbelieveable and how fast the time went was suprising.

I have watched alot of shows on car building and was always impressed with what they got done. Between Bill or Jason, I have seen what 2 guys can do. If you had three or more that worked well togther and know what they are doing, with the right tools, you could have a project done in very little time.

Hello Cyberhorn... I like all of the old stuff. I have one more major project that I want to do. Building a truck for the Downey bed. I will build a truck to the caliber that Slacker built his to other then the 3.4 motor https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f209...thread-131775/ I want every nut an bolt done and it to be new when I take it on its first drive. After that, I want to do an old car or truck. 20's or 30's pickup, a two door station wagon, panel wagon, anything from the 60's and older. Not sure what it is going to be, but when I finish the Downey truck, an oldie is on the bucket list.

Hello rustEDyota83... A Webber is a great replacement for the stock carburator and so much easier to work on. The factory carb is great but from what I have seen, just the millions of time the moving parts have moved, have just worn alot of the metal away over time.

I am combining alot of information in my previous post on the different builds I have and if you need some info on EFI things, let me know. There is alot of variances in the years of these trucks that is easily over looked or might not be known.

It is a ways off, but I want to do a diesel swap into my runner just for the fact of we will be paying $5 a gallon gas someday and I am hoping to get my cost per down. I have looked into the Jetta TDI motor and it seems good, but I want to get away from turbo as it is just one more part to fail.

The 3BT is suppossed to be an excellent motor but is pushing the weight limits even on a solid axle truck and is to heavy for an IFS. From what I have studied the OM617 is about the best motor for these trucks. Just needs a battery to start it and it will run all day long without the battery. Seen some on Youtube.

I think it is in Florida, but somewhere they ship the front clips with motors from Japan with Toyota Diesels in them. They cut the truck from the front doors forward and fillup shippng containers. There is a company that will convert one for you but being all Toyota stuff, I would feel comfortable doing it myself. If I do the OM617, I will have it done. The OM617 has a nice aftermarket support as well. I too am keeping an eye out for a wrecked Mercdes diesel car. You see several on the road when you are looking for them.

The Toyota diesels I drove overseas are some great little trucks. We are missing out. They get great gas (diesel) mileage and diesels are known for longevity.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:29 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hope everyone had a great New Year. With the cold weather and job, seems like I have not been able to get anything accomplished. We are in the single digits right now. I am ready for spring.

The guards is expecting another government shut down in February so I have to do a 4 day drill this next coming week. Wednesday thru Sunday and we wont drill in February as Thursday and Friday will count for Febs drill weekend.

I got to spend New Years Eve in the hospital with Misty as she has some pain. It turned out to be kidney stones so she finally had to go to the Emergency Room at 3 in the morning. I had to leave work early and that is the first time in years I have missed any work but she wasnt able to drive. Hopefully she will pass it soon and eventually things will get back to normal. Right now I have been Mister Mom and the wife and kids have survived my cooking and all of the other things that come along with helping her out. Hope to one day get back out in the shop and see what a Toyota looks like.

They say stones are worse then labor pains. I asked what all can cause them and one of the things they said was sweet tea, a favorite of mine, grrr. I gave up soda years ago. Seems like everything is bad for you now a days. Maybe things will get back to normal around here soon. It is 9 degrees as I am typing this out now. It is coldddd.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance