86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 07:55 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
hey terry on that parts truck does it have the blower motor resistor in good shape? ive certainly noticed my rig not having the fan speeds less than the highest 2
Totally order a new one, Will..... 8$ at rockauto.... Those blow into dust if touched on the coils. Shipping it....I would bet $'s to donuts....it would do in even a working one. Well, maybe, lol. Shipping at $4 or so? Go new homie, I can highly recommend that one from rockauto.com .....If u meant something else,........sorry! Haha
Old 11-08-2013, 10:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Totally order a new one, Will..... 8$ at rockauto.... Those blow into dust if touched on the coils. Shipping it....I would bet $'s to donuts....it would do in even a working one. Well, maybe, lol. Shipping at $4 or so? Go new homie, I can highly recommend that one from rockauto.com .....If u meant something else,........sorry! Haha
15 at rock auto but cheaper by far than the local auto parts sores which one wants 45 an the other 26
Old 11-08-2013, 10:43 AM

15 at rock auto but cheaper by far than the local auto parts sores which one wants 45 an the other 26
Wow! I guess I never looked TOO into it at the parts store, because on the 4Crawlers right up or a thread that I had read, there it was.... A link along with directions, proclaiming that I should, "Go get one at rockauto.com, you big dummy!" .... Hahaha.... I did and mine is working flawlessly after around a hundred times of switching on and off. Definitely helps to have a look and make sure that you get the 4 settings or three settings version, depending on your blower motor lever/switch specifications. The climate control assembly that I got at the yard had a switch with 3 levels... So I just swapped in my old one.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised how easy that thing was to change... And just as please to find out how cheap it was! I think its something like $17 now... But still, for brand new? Yeah boooooeeeey! Hehe.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 11-08-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:21 PM

mines a 4 setting i hope a 4 terminal one will work
Old 11-08-2013, 12:25 PM

mines a 4 setting i hope a 4 terminal one will work
Yep, mine too.... And the 4 terminal blower resistor works great in mine.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Mark and Cyberhorn...It wasnt until recently that I learned that there were 3 and 4 speed blower switches. I was always curious as to what that resistor/coil was for. A new one is nearly the size of a bed spring and wow at how much they wear down. I tried to get the one off of that runner and it disentegrated.

Hello kornhuskerwizard... Ive had my 86 this far down and a few others and feel comfortable that I can get it running again. The only real concern I have is I have always used the exact year and make to do the swap. This is going to be a little different, but I cant see it really being a problem using a runner harness on a pick up. The other way around, it might could be as for the rear window, wiper, and rear heater.

A previous disaster on my 86 Runner. There is still hope for this truck.
Name:  wireharness2.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  56.1 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-08-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:48 PM

thank ya terry ive got a new one on the way only hope it'll fit i havent done nothing on the passenger side under the dash yet well save clean the carpet pull that weird wire out an replace the speaker
Old 11-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

From the cab forward, my truck is all 88 wiring. I compared the 88 computer to others that I have and it was different, so that got me concerned as to what else could be different. I also swapped the fuse block harness that has the headlights and coil supply and alternator connectors. I think you could use the Injector Resistor but I swapped it out as well just to be on the safe side. I need to finish puttingin the dash.

Using Runners harness is a little different and if I would of thought about it, I would of known. A truck has the tail lights, fuel pump, and fuel guage on the frame. A runners tail lights runs on the inside of the compartment. Something I should of known, Doh!!!
Shouldnt be a problem as I just need to make harness to connect the tail lights to the trucks connectors. The color coding appears the same and I will break out a test light and double check. This wont be a hack job, but just an 85 truck with 88 electrical.

The other thing I am going to do is the 85 and maybe 86 windshield wiper motor uses a round plug. The newer one use a square plug. Getting the wiper motor out and back in time is a pain in the rear. All years are just a 4 wire connection so I will just wire in the round plug instead of swapping motors.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:09 PM

Many 88 and up ECU's also called for a different resistance knock sensor and there was an added 02 sensor (number 2, rear bank).... I know very well how different they are because when I plug in an 88 ECU thinking it was an 87... I got two codes that would never go away... They came and went in all reality, but constantly... Both codes? 02 sensor and knock sensor.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:09 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Mark for the info on the knock sensor. I am going back to the yard Wednesday with my brother to get the door seals off of that truck and I will grab the knock sensor just in case it is a specific one. I want to eliminate any possible problems using the original parts that came on that truck. There are a few I am going to keep on mine but if the knock sensor is a possibility, it is going on. I have compared most of the other sensors and everything seems to be the same as what is on Misty's 88.

I know I will have a Check Engine Light as I do not have an O2 sensor and currently need 2 of the 3 sensors that it came with. I have plans on picking up the other 2 sensors when I get back out to the yard. The guy that pulled the tranny just ripped the O2 sensor out so I will need to find the plug for it. The O2 sensors on the 88s are a 4 wire sensor and in the exhaust pipe instead of the manifold.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Here are my new to me SR5 interior panels.The left ones I cleaned and the right ones are dirty.
Name:  panel1_zpse65b8f7a.jpeg
Views: 259
Size:  69.9 KB

Here is everything cleaned. I just used a bristle brush, some Simple Green and a shop vac to get the water back out. Got my rear pockets that I just like having and little by little it becoming more of an SR5.
Name:  panel3_zps4eb890eb.jpeg
Views: 252
Size:  53.3 KB

Here is the color I have been using for my interior since I have had to use several different colors to get everything to match. I could of had a can of interior paint mixed to a closer factory color but this is close enough for me and is off of the shelf and works great. I will need to see if I have any left over and will try to get them painted tomorrow if I have some. Who knows when I will get them in, hopefully soon.

I have been spending my build funds on the truck but when something like this comes available, priorities do change. Could be sometime before I have a chance to get stuff like this.

My brother learned the hard way on his truck. He wanted some new door seals and I found a camper in the yards. I told him about it and he Hem Hawed around and when he wanted to go get them, it was to late, they were gone. The door seals on this runner in the yards is in great condition and if I did not need any right now I would of gotten them for spares. He is learning to get the parts while the getting is good.

I think this is the color I have been using and will double check. Mostly a reference for me. I will just mask off the panel and paint the vinyl.
Name:  panel2_zps18c46ab1.jpeg
Views: 256
Size:  43.9 KB
Old 11-09-2013, 09:33 AM

nice lookin panels terry
Old 11-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Cyberhorn...I will color them Midnite black but it is really a gray, not sure why they call it that. It will be a little bit before I start getting them colored and installed. I using my build funds for boneyard parts. It is tempting to do them now, but I stay in my budget, but I am ready to see them in there.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I am stumped!!! There is nothing of the orginal harness in the truck other then the fuel and tail lights harness and they are not hooked up. I know I wont get fuel until I connect them but the problem is I am still not getting spark.

From my days a electronics repair, it most likely something holding it down, from some of the orginal parts I am still using.

Parts that have not been swapped out from the boneyard runner.
Dizzy, TPS, Cold Start Injector, CSI Timing Switch, COR, cant think of anything else right now but will add it if I do think of it.

I have tested the Coil/Igniter on my 86 and it works flawlessly. Will try a few other things and will also repair the orginal 85 harness and possibly reinstall it since nothing as changed. Yay!!! Dash gets to come out again....
Old 11-10-2013, 03:18 PM

distributor not triggering the coil to fire terry? is the hale effect inside it hooked up any shorts inside? silly as it sounds is the rotor in the cap? (ive done this during a tune up) see if the terminals are clean an the end of the rotor is shiny

Last edited by Cyberhorn The Dragon; 11-10-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn... I used from the rotor all the way to the plug wires off of my 86 Runner as they are all Densos. The rotor is turning and the dizzy seems to be passing test as well as I can check. It has to be something small that is holding it down, just finding it is the tough part. I have had some tough ones in the past and this one takes the cake. I trust my harness swap and know I did it correct. It just about has to be something on the motor or somehting I am just overlooking.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I did get back out in the shop today and got alot done. Spent a few days in bed, as I think being out in the weather and getting wet was more then I can take now. Wasnt a problem when I was younger. A few months ago I had to have the rotor turned on the drivers side of the 3rd gen as it was out of round. That worked for a few months and now the passenger side started acting up. I turned it and the drivers side is out of round again. So I am going to have it turned tomorrow and will be looking into the Tundra brake upgrade. I dont ride the brakes or brake hard so was suprised to have brake issues on the 3rd gen runner. Guess it is a common problem on 3rd gens.

Didnt accomplish anything on the 85 and it is getting pushed to the side for a few months. I have more time then I care to admit and still not getting nowhere on it so I will just take a break from it. I did get another 85 harness from a friend of mine and I will install it at a later time. My 85 truck has a complete rebuilt motor in it with all parts from Engine Builder. Mistys runner has been getting weak for sometime and it has 313k miles on it. I am going to install my 85s motor into hers next week. I have a complete rebuild kit for her motor and will make that my winter project of getting her motor rebuilt and install it in the 85.

We got down into the teens as far as temperture wise and that killed her battery. I have had great luck with Sears Diehard battteries so am headed early in the morning to get a new for her truck. Since I am swapping motors, I am ordering an Aisin Clutch from Rockauto. I did buy a used transmission a year or so ago and feel the input shaft bearing is going out. This is a great transmission so dont want to ruin it by neglecting it. Would like to see if it something I can fix. So I bought another used tranny just recently for hers. I told her if this one doesnt last, she needs to start saving for a new one and just order one from Marlin Crawler. The tranny I am going to install next week has 202k miles on it so really dont have high hopes of it lasting forever.

The 85 is getting kicked to the curb for awhile to get some of the other projects wrapped up. I was really wanting to have this thing on the road but I need a break from it. I will go thru each component one at a time this winter and install my new to me 85 harness in it. I will get this truck running and with the motor getting pulled out, I might go ahead and paint the engine bay this winter as that is a pet peeve of mine of the engine bay not matching the body color when I do go and paint it.

I got the valance painted for the 86 Extra Cab but didnt get any pictures. Will post them up tomorrow. Also I painted a tailgate for my brothers truck.

A few others things that I did get done is I worked on getting my pigpen of a shop cleaned up and it still doesnt look much better. While insulating the shop and the projects going on, it got in bad shape. It cooled down and the insulation did help but not sure if it is going to be a warm as I would like for it to be when it gets bitter cold. I have all the walls done and 50% of the roof done. Wondering if the roof is that much of a reason for it not being as warm as I would like.

In the Steering Column that I installed, I found another butthead connector.
Name:  buttconnector1_zps1b9c26f5.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  72.7 KB

I did get rid of the cheezy steering wheel that the PO had installed. This wheel is small and was something I was glad to see the trash man haul off. Also I rented the tool to pull the factory steering wheel from a spare column. Do not try to bang one of these off as you will bulge the shaft. The tool is a must when swapping steering wheels.
Name:  buttconector2_zpsa7b287cc.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  151.8 KB
Old 11-15-2013, 05:28 AM

its got to be in your harness terry if the coils not getting juice its just not going to fire
tossing ideas out here

a bad start run switch at the colum? perhaps its not letting power to the coil to run
something to check
have you tried feeding power straight to the coil bypassing the harness? yes to turn it off youd have to pull the wire but it'd let you test things
Old 11-15-2013, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Cyberhorn..I feel it could still be in the harness as well. As far as jumping the coil, I am worried it could possibly burn or run the Igniter. It might would be safe and would need to be disconnected to kill the motor, but it will get it fixed right if I ever find the problem.lol
Old 11-15-2013, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

My starter is acting finicky on my 86 Runner. So I ordered the Denso Repair Kit PN#DRK from http://nationstarteralternator.com/ I will replace Mistys Plunger and contacts when I go thru her truck next week.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance