86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HighLux
with the Computer, stove, and hotub on the fritz...I was kinda expecting an invention......

Like a giant computer contolled crock pot or something.

Was thinking along those lines too. haha

For insulation, look into rolled foil foam. Its used mostly for metal buildings, it will give you around a r15, easily pliable, and has a white face exposed. It should run in the neighborhood of $.30sqft.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Other news, Hunter has been bugging me about the red runner I have in back. He says he wants moms runner and that isnt happening. I learned my lesson on buying kids trucks with my step son. Mine are going to buy or build one. Hunter is wanting to build the red one into what he thinks is a monster truck. Right now he wants as big of a tire as possible, 35 inch or bigger and wants it to be slimer green. I am sure he will change his mind several times between now and then.

I told him I would match him $2 for every $1 he saves for the build. It will be a 5 or 6 year build as he is going to do all the work and I will help him. I will let him have access to my tools and parts and throw in a part for him that might hold him up occasonally. He likes running the electric tools, impact wrench and primer gun so I will have to keep it interesting for him.

It is cheaper to buy a rebuilt motor, but he isnt getting that option. He is going to have to build his motor and it will be easier for him to buy part a little at a time.

Justin still doesnt know what he wants. He likes the hot rods. I dont have any intentions of them letting them ruining my trucks and hopefully when they build their own they will take better care of them.

I am giving them incentive to build theirs. Im sure they dont want dad driving them around on their dates with me wearing shorts and knee high socks or my golfers out fit of a button up shirt with sweat pants, white socks and dress shoes.

I had fun raising my last teenager, he start arguing in public, I would just start scratching my butt and he would disappear quick. hehe...
Dude this is great news terry. Ive very happy for you. Glad your kid takes interest in something you do. It is gonna call for a lot of father son bonding. I know i sure appreciate my dad taking interest in things i like. And having him help me out in my rear bumper/tire carrier and my most recent front bumper project has been a blessing. I know he enjoyed teaching me how to weld(because my mom told me hahaha ) but you can see the joy in his face as he has seen my progression. I cant wait to see all the pic you have in store for us when this restoration happens. AND you are definitely right. He will appreciate his truck more if he was to buy it. I know i always did. My parents refused to help me buy my own rig. I saved allowance and worked for 4 years and bought my own truck on my senior year of high school with my own $$$. and same thing with my 4runner. I definitely have a deeper connection with this truck because of all the blood, sweat, bruises, fun, money, and all the memories we have made along the way getting the 4runner to what it is now.

Have fun man.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks Gizler00...I have got a lot of time on the details and hoping when I get it to where I want it to be that it will show. I still have along ways to go with it but it will get there.

Hello Cyberhorn..I compared it to the runners and the radiator clears it just as well. I just think the runners valance looks so much better.

Hello kornhuskerwizard... I should of started on the roof first as I still need to get some more sheets of insulation and I could of used the pieces left over on the walls. carpentry is not my best skills and I learned the hard way. Just for others, if you are building a shop, get the traditional garage door with tracks that allow the door just roll over head. My garage door goes up and rolls into a big roll. I thought I was going to loose overhead space with tracks. With the door rolled up into a big roll, it leaves a big air gap at the top. I can post some pictures of what I am talking about later. Something I wish I would of known. I will come up with a way to cover the gap, but I will eventually upgrade to the door with rails.

Hello Highlux...Speaking of crockpots, my wife got rid of my old one and it was one I had for years. I was wanting to make some beans recently and it was what I used all of the time. I had it before we got married and was looking for it. Asked her about it and she busted her self out. She thinks newer is better and the one she replaced it with is not as good as what I had. She busted her self out on that one. I have been getting my share repairs on everything around the house.

Hello Waterbottom... I will be going to the hardware store soon and will be looking into the rolled foil. I want my shop where I can use it in any weather. In a years time, there really is not many great days where it is not too hot or cold. The past couple of years have been fewer days then most it seems. I should of made insulation a greater priority and another lesson I had to learn the hard way. Thanks, I will check into it as there are a few places that I will need to do something like that.

Thanks Richard... I try to spend some part of the day with the brattos. It is something that can slip by before you know it. Only regret I have up to this point now is how fast they are growing, and since there is nothing I can really do about that, I do not blame myself. When you have kids someday, make the most of it as it will be over before you know it. It is not about the trucks, but trucks do help you bring you together with them. Sure hoping that making them put there own effort into their own trucks give them a greater appreciation. I have already started letting them know they are not using mine and I was not going to be fixing their screw ups. They are boys and will try some things but it won't be me fixing it all the time. I learned that with their bicycles. I am taking them deer hunting for their first time in a couple of weeks. That is going to be interesting I am sure. Trying to keep them still and quite is going to be a chore in itself.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I was in St.Louis for 3 or 4 days and got to turn wrench's with HighLux. I have always liked the color of his runner and seeing it in person, it is just a sharp little runner. The tranny shaft was loose, so we installed another transmission that he had and got to take it for a ride afterwards. His has the high performance head and exhaust on it and I was impressed at how much of a difference it made. I have had headers before and never really noticed any power difference and always had a little tinging noise with them installed. His ran quiet and ran well. Something I am eventually going to be doing to mine further down the road. Had a great time while there.

I got to see a Trekker for the first time as well. I like rarity and if I did not have so much time and effort in to my runner, would be something I would like to build. Those are some great looking little trucks.

Mightymouse posted a picture of his truck on my 85 build and while coming home from St. Louis on Interstate 44, way south of St. Louis, I just happened to see his truck in the East bound lane. I was headed in the West bound lane and flow of traffic was probably 75 mph in each direction, so technically I only seen his truck for a few seconds at a combined speed of 150 mph. I got a kick out of that as I called him and told him he had a nice truck, and then I mentioned what mile marker we were at.

I should have some more free time now that I am back home, overtime is cutting back, and I am not having to get back into shape. I had to take my physical test for the guards and got that over with. One of my best scores, but being in shape and getting in shape is over rated. Leg muscles are still sore but in feeling better then what I was a few days ago.

I got out of St. Louis late and had to head straight to work and work all nite and when all was said and done, I was whipped. Spent the whole day in bed and starting to come back to life again.

I am going to start writing up my list again and get something done. A list makes a big difference. I had to turn the drivers side brake disc on the 3rd gen a few months ago and now the passengers side is acting up. I understand it is a fairly common problem on 3rd gens and if it acts up again will be doing the Tundra brake upgrade.

Highluxs symptoms on his old tranny sounds like Misty's tranny problems. The input shaft bearing is going out. I am picking up another tranny here in the next days or so. I told her she really needs to just start saving up for a tranny from Marlin Crawler, but I am hoping this new to me tranny is a good one. From what I have found so far that changing out the input shaft bearing, it looks like the transmission needs disassembled. I am still looking for more information though. I would like to keep the tranny she has as it is quite in all gears.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:21 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Awesome to hear, regarding Hunter. And WOW are you right regarding they're born and then gone, seemingly overnight.... And MAN do you miss them!
Old 11-05-2013, 05:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How old is hunter? that's awesome and I totally agree with you on letting them fix their mistakes lol. My dad did the same exact thing with me when learning to weld. He helped me out a lot and did cover up a few of my mess ups when we did my rear bumper. But this time around he told me YOU are gonna make the bumper I'm just going to be checking up on your work from time to time. And it pretty much forced me to use my own head to think up how stuff needed to be done. And due to that my welds began to look much better!

He did the same thing when I used to work with him in high school from freshman year till 1 year after high school. I worked with him working in construction doing tile, marble & granite slab I was his helper / apprentice. I learned a lot of things off my dad and he did the same thing by making me learn and having to think and use my own head not always doing the work for me and learning to fix my own mess ups. It was definitely a learning experience for me but I definitely appreciate it. Because now whenever I get my own house I'm sure that I could save hundreds of dollars by doing certain jobs by myself thanks to him.

We were just talking about that last night. He was saying that he was so happy and showing his approval that I have learned how to weld so quickly. Lol he was talking to a co worker and was showing him my progression pix off facebook. And the guy couldn't believe the work we had done. Let alone believe that I had done most of it. I know he is proud. And He told me last night that we wants me to get the hang of welding with rods and learn to adjust power and speed and learn to use the acetylene torch for both cutting and for heating up metal. I know ill have fun learning that stuff. I can't wait. Lol.

Last edited by Redeth005; 11-05-2013 at 05:46 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark... It does not seem possible that they are growing as quick as they are. It will be a long slow build as I will wait til he is out of school for the summer and he will have a little more saved up.

Hunter will soon be 11. I am going to wait for this summer and let him start stripping the interior out and get it clean and then start reassembling it. It will be a long slow build and it will be sometime before I put it in the shop. It will be everything that can be done outside and not cost him alot. He already has $10 and I have matched him with $20. He is getting a break on some more parts here soon as he will be getting more interior pieces from my 86 runner. I have come across some cloth SR5 interior panels so I will let him have my vinyl panels.

Learn all you can from your dad. That will save you tons on down the road and doing it yourself is quite rewarding. Also helps with the connection with your dad. It has been a while but using a cutting torch is not to bad and comes in handy for several things. See if you can get him to teach you old school of brazing with coat hangers. That comes in handy as well. I bet that is something he will know how to do. It is how we used to repair floor pans way back when. I cant wait to get a torch set up. Some day a plasma cutter would be sweet, but the old style cutting torch will get the job done as well.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Tartan46 is a member on here and he let me know about a guy parting out an 88 runner. Today we got a chance to go look at it. It is an SR5 and it is to bad it is getting parted but when we get done stripping it down with all of the things we want off of it, there isnt going to be much left of it. The owner is getting flooded with calls about parts on it and I dont think he really knew what he has.

Luckily we were the first to get to it and I removed the main harness from it. I am going to install it in my 85 pickup. I tore the shop upside down looking to see if I had any 88 injectors as they are a one year only. We are going back and I am getting the injector harness, computer, injectors, interior panels with rear pockets, and the tranny and sure I will get some other parts.

Today I got the main harness and the SR5 guage that I prefer. I wasnt thinking there would be to much on it, but it was just missing the wheels. This harness is absolutely perfect. My only concern and dont think it will be that big of a deal is that the harness to the fuel tank and tail lights connecting to the rest of the truck. The plugs are the same, so I think I am safe there. I am tired of fooling with the harness that is in my 85 and this one has some options that my truck would not have. I am eventually going to get cruise control off of it but am getting the parts that are the most hard to come by first.

Tartan46 is learning how hard these are to find in our area and is stashing up on them as well. He has a base mode truck and wants to add options to is as the parts come along.

Hunter will get my old interior pieces which are in great shape so he lucks out there. I was going to start working on the ride quality of my runner but these parts wont be available for long, so I will just have to pass on a smoother ride for a little longer.

My laptop isnt letting me load pictures so I will have to use the home computer when I get the chance. I have the next couple of days off and am hoping that I might possibly get my 85 running soon as I need a pickup. Never again will I go with out a truck.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:31 AM

Connectors are the same as the 85? If I had to bet I would say absolutely not... But I'm hoping for your sake they are! Lol. As far as I remember, many other connectors were different starting with the 88.

I have a full set of those 88 injectors available if you don't get those(the "reds"). Also, make sure you grab the rear window relay module and back window and arms, the back door seal if its good, and hell why not just take the tailgate? Wait, did did you say it was a 4runner? I sure the heck what you did... haha.

Is it possible that this might finally be one that what have you both fenders in the rear for Dragon? I know most guys don't want to let anyone cut... Have you ever thought about grabbing the frame or fuel tank?

Do me a favor, if you find the front windows and door locks and power mirrors control module, could you grab it for me? I also have a buddy who might need the IACV. Everything on his truck is brand new but that and he's got the notorious hi idle. Also, if it does have power mirrors, I will definitely take them if you don't want them. If they're messed up, I know Richard needs the electric mirror cover for the driver side... I think he said the driver side.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 11-06-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont beleive the 88 to 85 harnesses are the same style connectors?? I could be wrong.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark...I may be intrested in those injectors, depends on what he wants for his. So far he has been really reasonable. He charged me $10 for the SR5 Guage and $30 for the harness. Tartan42 got a coil/igniter for $20. I am on the relay and heater controls as well.Tartan42 is wanting the whole tailgate.

Hello kornhuskerwizard...The 88s are an oddball year. The injectors are a different in several ways,(Ohms, connector,red in color) but I do like how the connectors are on the 88s. 87 and older have a wire for a snap connection and the 88s have a squeeze tab. Since the 88s are a year by themselves, I will have to swap everything. The entire dash has to come out, but it should be an 85 body with 88 injection system. This is going to be an experiment for me to see if the fuel/tail light harness will work.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you can actually pick up injector harnesses to convert the injector plugs from any year to the 88 style. injectordyne on ebay (flamethrower on yotatech) gives them out with his injector upgrades he sells. might be easier than changing everything over.

PS i need the shifter bezel and center arm rest and heater core if you happen to get one
Old 11-06-2013, 12:09 PM

Terry, does this mean you will be eliminating the solenoid resistor for the injectors?
Old 11-06-2013, 02:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wow i feel like rip van winkle YAWN just woke up whOA! ducks flying comments an parts
Old 11-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello bbrideau...It is to late, I got most of it in. The one problem I was concerned about, the harness to the fuel and tail lights is not the same. Other then that I think everything is going to be ok.

I do have a couple of heater cores. They came out of a parts truck so really dont know the condition of them. If you have never changed a heater core, it is a big job. I would suggest replacing it with a new one. I will never use thes two cores, and they are only taking space up. You can have these two if you want them.

I would suggest pressure testing them and flushing them with CLR. I will post some pics below and to do a core, you will have to take it fruther then what I am showing. Not much further, but getting it all back together takes a lot of time to get everything to fit like it should. I can get the core out in about 45 minutes but it takes at least 2 hours to get it back together. If this is your first time, and you have never really had the dash apart, allow 4-8 hours with alot of patience. It isnt as bad as it is made out to be, but still is a big job. I have some videos under "dash pad removal" on my 88 Runner, first page, build thread that should help alot. I can also add some more information to it if you need me to. I have some more information on other build threads that I will transfer to it. Just let me know and I will get off of my rear and get that info added.

I may have a arm console, but it is at work. If it is the orginal one I had in my 86 Runner, you can have it. It sits to low and doesnt make a good arm rest at all. It will be a couple of days til I get back to work and see which one it is. If it is the low one, I dont want it. I am thinking of taking one with the rear heater option and cutting the heater cover out and making a better storage compartment and more usable arm rest.

Hello Mark...It has to have the resistor in it to complete the circuit. If I recall right, I put a test lead on the female side of the resistor and another lead on Pin 10 or 20 to test for continuity from computer plug, thru injectors, and back to the computer, completing the loop. That is what tripped me up when my 86 runner wouldnt start. I was getting continuity thru the system and it still wouldnt start. It was the corroded connectons in the injector harness.

Wake up Cyberhorn.... Lol... I can understand. I was out in the rain getting parts for 2 days and now I have come down with a cold and will need some serious sleep time to get over it. I feel alright during the day but nite time is a little rough.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

A week late on posting, but on October 30th, I renewed my tags. Hard to beleive one year on the road already for my 86 Runner. I got a new pedal cover and Misty got me some front floor mats. I still need to get anothe pedal cover.
Name:  injector5_zpsddaae75e.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  66.1 KB
Old 11-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Here are the 3 types of injectors. The white one is 85- 87, the 88 looks just like the 89 and up but the fool proof tabs are different. I dont remember which one is which but 85-87 is 1.5-3.0 Ohms, 88 is 1.0-2.5 Ohms, and the 89 and newer are 13.4-14.2 Ohms. Do a resistance check to see which ones you have.
Name:  injector4_zps7d5196d1.png
Views: 135
Size:  909.3 KB

The main harness connects to the fuse box and runs under the inner fenders. I was able to access them by removing inner fenders.
Name:  injector3_zps3813f000.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  81.4 KB

Here it is in its worse shape. Most is put back together, but changing a heater core is about the same from my experience.
Name:  injector2_zps139040cb.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  92.1 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-14-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

So far it is going back together well. The only problem I will need to address is getting the tail light and fuel pump harness to connect. Look slike Toyota changed connectors between the different years. I am not worried about it. Another issue is the 88 have the O2 sensor in the exhaust pipe so I am going back to the bone yard and grab the O2 wiring harness. That is going to kill a big part of the day but I plan on an early start.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep the 88 injectors are different than the others. Your doing well! Dang i havent seen a dash that taken apart before!!
Old 11-07-2013, 06:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hey terry on that parts truck does it have the blower motor resistor in good shape? ive certainly noticed my rig not having the fan speeds less than the highest 2

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance