86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Cyerberhorn...It seems to take more time then what it should but I am slowly making some forward progress. It does have the completely new look that I was going for.

Thanks Richard...It isnt showing up in the pictures as well, but it does look better in person. Better then what I was expecting. I try to show in my threads that even the looks effect the driving pleasure of a truck.

Lol Waterbottom.. I did have some dust/dirt in the drivers side. I got it cleaned up and floor mats are now on the list to get for it. Getting the carpet dirty was like getting a scratch in a new paint job. Nooo!!!
Old 08-01-2013, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Mostly putting this up for Mark and will add it to his thread. I was reading where a guy was having the idle problem and he said his Throttle Body was a clogged water port. I am not sure if it was where I found this clog but I was sruprised to see it clogged here. This is on the motor I am building for the 85, I havent had one to be clogged here before, but will say I havent every stuck a rod down to see. You probably wouldnt be able to see it anyways.

Clogged water pipe. I used a drill bit to clean it out.
Name:  motor5_zps101077f7.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  57.8 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-01-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i ran mine through the electrolysis then blew them out with air ect ect
i can see why it might effect the idle
Old 08-09-2013, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Jason came thru town the other day and we were riding in my runner and he seen an 86 that was the same color setup as mine from the factory but had some more stirpes on the bottom of it. The guy wanted 3800 for it and even admitted that it was a little high on the price. Usually when I see another runner, I am thinking I wish mine was in as good of a condition as theirs is. Seeing that runner made me realize that mine is really to much further to being done and was in alot worse shape then his.

Got me to thinking what is actually left to do for mine before I can really start doing some upgrades.
My list to do:
Shocks
Rebuild front suspension and steering
Finish buffing out the exterior and get emblems back on.
Do some work on the tailgate.
Finish up the rear of the interior.
V6 brake upgrade.
Replace passenger door window as it is scratched.
Tint window. I broke my collarbone and dont wear seat belts on the drivers side. They are ticketing alot more for that now. I dont mind wearing seat belts on passenger side.
Install mirrors on the doors. I intentionally used these doors and they have a hard to find mirror. The brackets go half way down the door. Just got to find the parts.

I have alot of the parts that I need at this time. Biggest problem has been to hot or just to many other things going on to work on the trucks. Wife and kids will be back in school soon so that will give me some free time fairly shortly as well.

Here is the one that is for sale in town and made me realize that the light is at the end of the tunnel. Mine still isnt as nice as Mistys but it is catching up quickly. She has started noticing and is wanting to add a few things to hers to stay ahead of me. hehe
Name:  4runner1_zps71ab4dd0.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  111.1 KB

We have been getting hammered with rain. Yesterday a neighbor of my parents and also the parent of a girl I went to school with got caught in a flashflood and passsed away. It was mentioned on CBS evening news of the 2 fatalities that it has caused and she was one of them. Suprising at how close to home it happened. The rivers have exceeded their limits several times over. We went and looked at some of the rivers and watched whole trees just flying on down the river.

This building sets aways from the river and the water was up higher on the windows.
Name:  flooding1_zpsb70f5bec.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  139.1 KB

Today has been one month of me stopping smoking. I am still Vaping, but something I never thought I could of quit. Misty was always trying to get me to quit and now she is the one that cant stop. Not going to stop Vaping as there are some great flavors.

To bad I dont have the time for another project. This would be an easy one. http://springfield.craigslist.org/pts/3989221576.html

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-09-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:10 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Jason.....WHERE YOU AT? haha.....

Good see you guys got together man! Sorry about all the rain, good grief!
Old 08-11-2013, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terry I am a new 87 runner owner. What have you had the best luck with for insulating or soundproofing the floor. Mines an 87 22re 5speed 4x4 with removable hard top. I was looking at custom fit liners (vinyl or carpet) but would feel better if something were underneath them.. Nice trucks by the way! Look forward to getting mine in good shape.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark..We got more rain coming. It is hot, muggy, you name it. Just miserable trying to get anything done.

Hello TheSnake91.. I used some truck bed roll on liner and then went over it with Peel and Seal. You can get it at some Lowes Stores. Not all of them have it, but they can do a store to store shipment. Thanks for the compliments on my trucks. It has always been fun to see where I start out at and where I end up at. It just takes a little patience and persistence and you will get it there. Post a picture here on my thread when you get a chance. I always like to see what one starts out at and when someone is determined to get one done. I think you will like the experience.

This is a great site and you will find alot on here that have different specialties and can get you over the hump if you get stuck or need ideas. I try to make my 88 Thread a step better then a repair manual when possible. I remember running into problems and trying to figure it out. On the first page is where I list the things I have found. The post number stay the same but sometimes the page numbers change.

I seen on your profile that your dome light doesnt work. In most cases, someone has removed the door buzzer box, just above the brake pedal, not realizing it controls the dome light. You will need to get another one out of the bone yard. If you want to quiten it down, there is a tab that you can bend out to stop the noise.

Adding AC isnt hard to do at all. As I understand it, our trucks didnt come with AC from the factory but was installed at the dealer. I will post some pics of how to add AC maybe later today or soon. I havent got that posted on my 88 so will need to look it up. Not to bad to do.

Finding rear seats can be difficult. If yours has the rear panel that fills in where the seats are at, you have something that alot really want. I found some seats fairly recently but they dont match the fronts. You might give this guy a call. He said he would ship when I last talked to him. B&B Imports 800-477-8282 Guys name is L.D. Van Hoozer. Getting seats reupholstered is about the most expensive part on doing the interior. I have found some great and cheap ways of doing the interior. Keep an eye out on Craigslist and get to know your local yard. Dont destroy their trucks when getting parts out of them, but taking the time to disassemble the parts for them the right way to get the parts you need will pay off in lower prices. Also a great way to learn what you need to on your truck.

Installing carpet from an aftermarket provider is not real hard but is time consuming and takes sme patience. Dont get in no hurry. Yesterday, I finally got the rear passenger area finished. I still need to bolt the bottom seats in. Carpet can make a big difference.

On your half shafts, they can be bought in a complete assembly. I am a little weak in that area. I have changed them out before and am not the most comfortable area for me on that.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:50 PM

Well I got the dome light in the cab fixed . It was just a matter of crimping a wire to get a good enough connection(theres absolutely no wiring going to the rearview mirror light (not a big deal) the one is all I need for now ill mess with that later.. but I was inspecting the floor and started cleaning it after work and under the floor mat there is a small spot that rusted through.. I was thinking about tack welding (patching) it with a thin piece of metal from the bottom with some sort of seal over the top.. have you repaired any rust spots in the flooring in the past? Also working on getting some pics up for your post. Thanks for all your feedback! Just need more time and money ahhhh LIFE. LOL
Old 08-13-2013, 02:14 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Here is some information on adding AC. I have on the 88s first page about how to remove dash. Other then the switch, you just need to add the compressor to the passenger side and pull the grill and add the condenser infront of the radiator.

Copied...
The AC install has gone great. My truck didnt have AC as it didnt even have the holes cut out for the lines. Toyota did have the dimples as to where to cut in the fire wall. That helped alot. Almost looks like a professional did it. Almost!!!

Carpenters are going to scream with me using this tool to cut the holes. But it worked.
Name:  ac7.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  71.1 KB

Evaporator you will need. Where my finger is pointing is what Mark is talking about on his thread that needs adjusting.
Name:  ac8.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  93.9 KB

The top piece is basically a pipe that connects the blower to the heater core if you dont have AC. Otherwise the Evaporator sits in its place.
Name:  ac9.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  77.6 KB

Just above my finger is a dimple I was talking about. This one is for the drain hole for the Evaporator. Makes installing an AC so much easier.
Name:  ac6.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  45.5 KB

Wiring harness needed to connect to the trucks main harnes. Appears all connections are already installed.
Name:  ac3.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  85.6 KB

Will get some rubber grommets to seal up the excess hole and for protection of the evaps metal pipes.
Name:  ac4.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  58.0 KB
Old 08-13-2013, 03:45 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

My brothers trucks Temp Guage is the worse I have ever seen. I did get it fixed and working great. Using Infernos thread, neither of the two guages I worked on had the little disc that Inferno is holding on to. I just put a layer of electrical tape on the silver canister and it works like a champ now. Not sure if this is what fixed it, but it working great.
I have gotten 2 guages to work. Both of the ones I fixed did not have the insulating piece that Inferno is showing. It may not be on all guages, and I am sure both of mine had never been taken apart.
Name:  DSCN2432_zpscdb6d2dd.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  63.1 KB

What I did and am not for sure if this fixed the problem, is I used electrical tape to isolated the two pieces, but this thread did get mine fixed. Also I did have the 3 long post loose. I have added electrial tape on both and they are working great. Great thread Inferno!!!
Name:  tempguage1_zpsb3867c04.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  43.9 KB
Old 08-13-2013, 08:04 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Holy..... That doesn't look familiar. Ima have to dig up old pics... THANKS, Terry! Interesting. Mine is still wonky!
Old 08-13-2013, 12:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Terry, looking good on that A/C. I'm moving my priority to the AC as a next to fix up. Temp here today in Miami, Florida is 89-91F and it pure sweat rolling off my forehead. At least I have them side vents. I'm looking to change the expansion valve, the drier and seals before adding any freon. I guess I'm getting old that AC is a must, wasn't when I was younger.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Your welcome Mark..The two guages have been working great since both have beeen worked on. I dont know if the electrical tape helps or not. It may just be that the taller 3 post need tightened up.

Hello junk4u...I cant take the heat like I used to. Dry heat isnt so bad, but this humidity is killing me. I get these next few projects done, I am spending some time on getting my shop where I can work in it hot or cold. I missed out on alot of days due to the cold as well.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:41 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got Jasons old guage set. I was hoping to use the needles off of his to fix the one that I had broke the needle off of. The needles look the same but are different on that the way they mount to the speedo shaft.

The top one would be my prefered SR5 Guage if I have a choice. There are more differences then just appearances. The backsides of the Tach are different, the way they mount inside the housing, and the way the speedo needles mounts to the shaft.

The top one, the shaft is pointy and is easily removable to set the mileage correct.
The bottom one, the shaft has splines and is easily breakable. I got the mileageage corrected for the 86 Extra cab fixed now. It is all back together and cleaned up now. The guages that just have horizontal lines is the one I prefer. Mostly just as it is easier to correct the mileage.
Name:  tach2_zps77754c5d.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  86.6 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-11-2013 at 03:20 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello Terry, congrats on no smoking!! Vaping does have good flavors. That flooding looks terrible!! The pics and info is great!! Keep up the good work !
Old 08-15-2013, 07:24 PM

Still digging the work Terry.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks kornhuskerwizard...I just went over the 6 week mark of not smoking. Havent felt the health benefits of not smoking yet. All of those things you hear of like taste, and energy is still the same. I am starting to feel the financial benefits some though. There are some great flavors in Vaping. I like about all of the fruit flavors. I have a several other things I eventually to finish up and will get posted.

Thanks Waterbottom...I have another SR5 guage I want to try some things on. I am going to show some of the differences and also a note for myself. I refer to my threads alot myself when I dont remember something.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

The 85 is getting a temporary eviction. If all goes well, I will be painting the 86 extra cab on Wednesday or Thursday. Been having to wait on the weather. I will spend a day or so getting the shop cleaned out for painting. Would be so much nicer if I just had my million dollar paint booth, but until then, I have to pull everything out but it does get things organized again, but only for a short while.
Name:  cleaning18_zps50152392.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  136.1 KB

I think I have all of the pieces to the passenger area done now and just need to get the pieces in on to have the runner finished up. I still need to work on the shifter areabut still dont know which way I want to go on it just yet. Dont lack to much to have the trunk area finished. It is the next area I am going to start focusing on.
Name:  cleaning23_zpsbece90ec.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  51.3 KB
Old 08-19-2013, 03:37 PM

Received 208 Likes on 146 Posts
Terry - if you get a chance, could you take a few pics of where the flapper is that chooses between recirc and outside air? Where does it take in outside air from? I wanna make sure the flapper door is closing on mine, but I don't know where it sucks outside air from.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry Terry if this looks like I'm hijacking your thread, but I thought I would answer Corys question about the flapper.

Looking through the cowl inside it here's a picture that shows where air is sucked from the outside.

Again this shot is looking into the cowl:
Name:  CowlareaACventa.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  63.8 KB

From the inside of the truck with the blower/motor off you can see the flapper it leaks out because of the foam that seals the flap deteriorates like mine is.

Here's a picture of the flapper looking straight up and you can see the opening as the one from the prior picture.

Name:  blowerbox1a.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  83.6 KB
I would like to figure out what to use to replace the foam, but I haven''t so far myself. I have purchased some weather stripping that seal windows and doors to replace the seals around the evaporator coil box, etc... Kind of helps seal the air from leaking around the box and only into the vents. I would really like to find something to replace the foam seal at the flapper to seal out the outside air and increase the air blowing, keep the air cooler by keeping out warmer air and keeping out the exhaust from the cars in front of you. Terry if you got an answer as what to use to repair/replace as a flapper seal, please let me know. Thanks and hope this help Cory.

Last edited by junk4u; 08-19-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance