86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Went to the boneyard today and got my rear seats. Will post them later when I get them cleaned up. I did get a fuse cover for an 86 and thought I would post for others as most are missing.

Last edited by Terrys87; 06-02-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now you can translate japanese, lol
Old 02-20-2012, 08:49 AM

Terry I'm begging you "tell me what I need for my runner" I never think to look for that kind of stuff when bone yarding. I have to much of a one track mind or old age I guess.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello RMP8080..Think you picked a good week to go south. It was cold here last week. I should of gone south. I decided if I ever move again, it will be to warmer weather all year around.

Hello Jason..I knew I was going when I got off of work and I tried to think of everything I could possibly think of. Luckily I have a notepad in my phone. I did find a jack in that runner and it is hidden well so next time I am out there I will be getting it. Got it in my phone now.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I was going to do some more work on the runner but today is another cold one. Got a rear window off of Jason. I have a good window for the backhatch but the track is rusted and I am not brave enough to swap tracks, so will be installing it soon. I feel I have just about every aspect of the rear window down after doing the last install and my last build.

There are basically 3 wiring harnesses for the front part of the truck. The dash, injector harness, and fuse box harness. I just about got the dash harness in, shouldnt take much to finish it.

On my injector harness the mouse got the wire that goes to the igniter. I finally found my spare harness. It was put up in a corner where I had put it, DOH!!, I just need to repair the igniter plug wire and one other plug and I am finished with the wiring.

Just as soon as the weather warms I got plenty to get done.

I have always used my phones resolution of 960x1280 for pics. I have done test pics of different resolutions and am getting the same results. My pictures are smaller then I normally like to post. Got any ideas of what is going wrong.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:53 PM

Hey Terry, I notice that your posting happen at all times, do you sleep?
Old 02-21-2012, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello RMP8080...lol..2-4 hours is about all I can sleep for at a time. Once in a great while, if I am lucky or been up for a lonng time I sleep 8 hours. Between work and guards, I get plenty of drug test, so it isnt with help. Wife and kids eat 3 times a day and I am happy with one meal a day and I am able to keep up with some of the younger guys in physical activity. I get physical check ups about once a year and always come back with excellent results. Beats me.

One thing I have noticed that keeps me moving is to get the TV out of my life. If there is something I really want to watch, I DVR it. Wife cant live without TV, I can. When I was single I never had TV and didnt miss it then and dont miss it now. My family and friends all have TVs going somewhere. Shut it off and you will get bored enough to find something to do. Used to be a news junky and it is mostly bad news so I havent missed it. One reason winter can get to me as it is to cold to do anything out side. I cant take the cold. When it is warm I am ready to go.

I will be headed to the bone yard to get the front seats and have a small list of things I want to get. Got some warm days coming and I really want to make the most of them. If all goes as planned, I will make some big progress. IF??lol.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Here is todays fix. Did get a new mudflap as mine was chewed up. I will get it straighter when I go to paint the runner but for now I wanted to just get it on the truck so as it is one less piece to keep up with. Got the front seats but the picture didnt turn out like I would like. Wish they were in better condition but they are better then what I have.

Replaced missing mudflap.

Spent sometime getting the shop ready for me to spend in there as I have the next two days off. While in there, I was asked about getting the door seals off. I just pinch the seal over the top of the tab and work it in a circle. If your seals are dry rotted they can rip easily. I wouldnt try and pull the tab out of the door as they are BRITTLE.

I went to the hardware store to look for some Peel and Seal. Not all Lowes Store carry it and I tried two other stores trying to find it. Didnt have any luck with them either. So I will need to got to an Oklahoma Lowes to get it. While in one of the stores I did think of using this. You would need some spray to stick in on. I decided agaist it as I know how Peel and Seal works. Just thought I might throw this out for other that may want to give it a try.

Would need some sticky spray.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got the next two NICE days off and if all goes well I will get my harness fastened up, dash in with my gray pieces, bottom half of motor,tranny,tcase in. Might even go get some interior paint and Peel and Seal and start on the interior. Thats if there are no hang ups.

If I luck out and get that far I have plans on putting the motor back in to my first gen pick up. I have been collecting parts and Jason helped me with quite a few parts that will keep me moving along. This could be one of those weekends (my weekend) where things move fast if all goes well. I have high hopes. Would be nice to start putting my fenders and backhatch on soon. I can actually see light at the end of the tunnel. Wahoo!!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got the harness mounted in the runner. That is a big relief. It isnt as bad as I thought it would be. But if you are going to do this take good pictures. Fortunatley for me I have 2 other trucks for a reference. I found the easiest way to access the Circuit Open Relay is through the Passenger Side Speaker. I believe this is what controls your fuel pump if you are ever looking for it.

Circuit Open Relay

Not the best picture and if you dont have wiper delay, you wont have this box. It mounts in the recess of the side pillar. The way I understand if you want wiper delay. Get this green box and it will have a split wire harness you will need and the Wiper Delay on the Steering Wheel Assembly and it is supposed to work. The trucks are prewired for it.

Wiper Delay box.

Wiper Delay cable you will need.

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-25-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:57 AM

Received 208 Likes on 146 Posts
Man, you're not even 2 months into this build and you are so far along. I think you got more accomplished this morning than I did all month.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks cory..I am making great progress today. I have had to go back and redo a few steps. I put the VIN/Windshield sheet metal in then tried to put the windshield vent in. Cant do that. Had to undo it all. But still great progress. I have been doing a lot of prepping ahead of time. Really happy so far.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Been making great progress today. Got all of the vents in on the passenger side, blower assembly, dash support bar, and most of the electrical connections.

My Clutch Master Cylinder was froze up and luckily I had a spare in the shed. Got it replaced. While replaceing it the PO did not have the springs to the clutch and brake pedals and I happend to have them too.

May not look like much, but I have had to go back and disassemble and reassemble a few things. I feel alot better with me replacing the harness. Being under the dash and comparing to my flat bed, I have fixed some other small things. It has been a goood learning experience. I have had dashs apart but not to this extent.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:20 AM

glad to see your making some good progress buddy.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Jason.I am just hoping I dont have any more back steps to take. You home yet? I will check threads later tonite. Just trying to come up with a game plan for tomorrow.

I am switching from a blue interior to gray. I have had this gray dash in the shed for awhile so it is setting on for now and bolted lightly to get everything to stretch back into place. I need to find out where 2 plugs go. I know one is to the dash panel lights,rear defrost,clutch start switch. Need to find where two others go.

I will be changing steering columns tomorrow or maybe tonite. Will see how the temperture is. Not sure if I want to try and set the motor in or start the Peel and Seal. Just have to see how things go.

87 column. Hope it will work on an 86 withou any problems.

Letting everything get settled. Need to find where the 2 big white plugs go.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:34 PM

Terry, I replaced my 87 with a tilt steering column from the 85, a lot of work but love the tilt wheel.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:01 AM

Terry while your into the dash that far, go head and replace the heter core. If you don't, have to replace it next year the dash has to come back apart that far. Later
Old 02-23-2012, 02:07 AM

Terry, I believe the smaller of the white plugs goes to the dash light dimmer switch. The other one goes to the rear window defroster switch I believe.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks RMP8080..I used the blinker/wiper switch off of this truck to fix my wifes and the wiper delay. I wound up fixing her old one and was worried about it not working on this one. Another reason of swapping the whole steering column is that I dont have the key to the orginal column (even though I dont need it, any key works),plus it is gray.

Thanks Tinman, I was thinking that the plugs went to but wasnt sure until I get the other accessories on there.

Since it involves this far of tearing the dash out to get to the heater core., it will be getting replaced. I dont see how not to have to tear this far into it to change heater core. Sure it could of been made easier.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I wanted to take a break. Been at it for awhile and wanted a change of pace. I got one roll of Peel and Seal as I broke the bank at the bone yard this week. I officially have the right rear wheel well area completed. Wires fixed, Peel and Seal and the panel painted.

I will need to get some paint mixed to the factory color, but that will be a 5 minute fix when I go and replace the carpet. I want to get the parts laying around to keep them protected and in good shape.

I got some off the shelf gray interior paint at $7 a can. Custom mixed paint is $23 a can. I am just using the cheaper stuff to cover the blue on the panels and it gives it a cleaner look. My old panels are in bad shape and I am getting a couple out of the bone yard next week and will use the best of them all. My need to use a 2 part epoxy to fix some.

Some painted and some not. Tried resetting my picture size.hmmm???

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance