86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello kornhuskerwizard.. Funny you should mention that. I told Hunter he could have the 85 if he got it going and I have bet with him that I will have it runnig by October 12th. He is going to lose that one. I just got all of my machine work and parts done and setting here at the house yesterday, just ready for me to get it done. Wont take long. He wanted to make the bet. The bet is to have it running and street legal.

Justin started teasing me as well and I have a red 87 Runner sitting out back and I have everything but a motor for it. I told him to show me that he could get it going, he said no. It is on hold for a few years. Maybe one of them will work on it. I am just doing my blue runner and the pickup.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes do not try turning the stationary 14mm as you will end up twisting the steel line and ruining the fuel unit. I also tried fixing my stuck sending unit and ended up ruining it, im glad you got yours fixed.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Jason... I was hoping to work on the interior but I spent ALOT of time on the fuel tank issue. That was a royal pain in the rear but now atleast I am not guessing at how much fuel I have. That is a relief in itself. Hope to get some interior work done tonite. The runner rides 10 times better now. Wahoo!!!
Old 07-20-2013, 10:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
radblue looks awesome terry the zuk makes such a huge difference

WOW the corrosion on the fuel sender! erk! i dont want to see that
glad ya got it working! i really am surprised toyota made it so vunerable to rust considering where it is an what it does
Old 07-20-2013, 10:47 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I second with Jason said! just amazing... glad the coils worked out man! You and your gas tanks I tell you... hahahaha
Old 07-20-2013, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello kornhuskerwizard... Sometimes with the corrosion on them you are unable to see which one it is and everytime I go to mess with one of these tanks I keep forgetting. It is scary trying to get them to break free. I have a spare frame and the 85 just doesnt want to break free. These pump assemblies are all different for each truck and trying to find one can be a job. I grab each one that I can.

Hello Cyberhorn... It is a poor design. The wire that wraps around the core is about like a strand of hair. I found where some even re-wrapped it and got them working. I am not that steady with my hands or think I would be able to get it re-wrapped. The ride improved as well. It is getting there.

Hello Mark... I appreciate the compliments that you and Jason have for the runner. It has came along ways and nto much I havent touched on it. It is starting to show a little better each time I get something done to it and is rewarding as well. The coils are in great condition. Thanks again!!!
Old 07-20-2013, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Flamethrower was offering some injectors for testing purposes and reviews. I was fortuante enough to get chose to recieve a set of his injectors. I recieved them today. I plan on putting them in on Wednesday or Thursday.

Our factory injectors are 20 plus years behind in technology and I was curious as to what his would be like and sure there is room for improvement on the factory injectors. When comparing an orginal injector to the factory one, I can see where his could be a huge improvement. As you are looking down inside the the injector, where the fuel sprays out, it is like a funnel or an inverted cone. Sometimes something like this could make a world of difference for several areas of performance.

This is one of those things I am just itching to see what kind of difference I am going to see and makes you think " Why didnt I think of that?" I am sure there are some other things that may not be seen. There is always room for improvement and I am looking forward to the results of these. I am glad someone has taken the time to see where something can be improved up on and still supporting our hobby.

The one on the left is the Toyota Factory one. The one on the right is Flamethrowers Injector. I could see how this can be a big improvement.
Name:  Flamethrower1_zps173b33f0.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  32.2 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-24-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:14 PM

ooh how does a dragon get into this testing of injectors thing??
huh
hmm??
huh

i know better atomization a finer mist helps with complete fuel burn lowers emissions and more horses out of the fuel the improved 4 hole ones on ebay have my eye but thats once i get the majority of the rebuild done

Last edited by Cyberhorn The Dragon; 07-20-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Here you go Cyberhorn... >> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f37/...s-free-270678/
Old 07-20-2013, 06:34 PM

thank ya terry
Old 07-20-2013, 08:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting!!
Old 07-22-2013, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking good

Terry just recently been following your thread, and have enjoyed the resurrection you have been preforming. I see the small details you have put in and the steps you refuse to skip and I appreciate it as a fellow lover of these trucks. I stumbled across your thread because I too am restoring a blue 86 4runner that I have had for the past 19yrs. Started off as my main vehicle through collage, has seen it share of swamps for duck hunting, and a lot of other things we want type into words. Now the time has come to put a little love back into the ole blu-goat. With a new motor put in 4yrs ago and a ton of other in-betweens done, we are slowly getting there. I defiantly don't have the patience to document my journey as you have, but I will enjoy watching as you continue.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn.. No Problem, hope you get a set.

Hello kornhuskerwizard...I am planning on Wednesday morning to put them in. I am looking forward to the results.

Welcome to Yotatech Waterbottom.. Glad to see I got the first post. Thanks for the compliments. I do have alot of details that dont always show or post in my builds. You are fortunate to have one for that long and then to hear you are wanting to get it back on the road is something I always enjoy seeing. When we are younger, we tend to be a little rougher on our trucks, been there before,hehe.

It does take alot of time to document your progress, but I have some great memories of what I did and use alot of the information to just copy and paste when helping some one on the home page or thru PMs. I have done several trucks and when you get one done, it can be easy to remember how bad it really was. I have enjoyed seeing where I started at and where I am ending at. I still have aways to go to get it where I want it to be. I have had to go thru several trucks to find just what I really wanted and I have finally figured it out. Welcome to Yotatech and you will find this is a great site.

On your 86 restore, I have posted alot of the problems and fixes I have found on my 88 Runner build thread below. I have them listed on the first page. Go by the post number and not necessarily t he page number. The pages change ever so often but the post stay the same. I dont post about rebuilding motors as there are far better post then what I could do, but I have about everything else on there that isnt necessarily in books.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I let my paint guy talk me into using an off the shelf interior paint. I have a lot of time cleaning these pieces and then I painted them. When it went on wet it looked great. After it dried, it looked powdery. I have the top ones covered in Amorall and when they dried, they have the look I am going for. I am going to see how this turns out or may have to start over.

Bottom are freshly painted..grr Top is freshly painted and soaking in Amorall. My new to me dashpad is turning out to the way I want it to, now if it will just hold it color and shine.
Name:  faded1_zps124f4027.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  62.5 KB
Old 07-22-2013, 02:56 PM

soaking them in armor all..wont it eventually dry up as well terry?
Old 07-22-2013, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn...That is what I am afraid of. I am just hoping against hope that I dont have to clean them back up. We are getting rain all this week and I dont want to have to put the top on as it is easier to do the interior, so I have a few days to experiment.

This week is just going down the drain. I was planning on painting the 86 Extra cab this week as well, but not with the humidity that we are having. I had such high hopes for this week and it started out great but is now a big slow down. Just a bump in the road.

Got the injector thing to look forward to so I am excited about that. Also I will be putting my motor together for my 85 this coming Saturday. I will be going over to a friends house after work and he has the tools and such to help me do the bottom end. Wahoo!!!

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-22-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hello Cyberhorn...That is what I am afraid of. I am just hoping against hope that I dont have to clean them back up. We are getting rain all this week and I dont want to have to put the top on as it is easier to do the interior, so I have a few days to experiment.

This week is just going down the drain. I was planning on painting the 86 Extra cab this week as well, but not with the humidity that we are having. I had such high hopes for this week and it started out great but is now a big slow down. Just a bump in the road.

Got the injector thing to look forward to so I am excited about that.
i can sympathize its too dry here this week were getting red flags all over the south end of the state which are major fire out break warnings also makes it hotter an harder to work on anything

please i am eager to hear about them!
Old 07-22-2013, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me too on the injectors. Looking forward to what you have to say, everyone seems to like them.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:08 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I might need an injection too! Haha.... Actually I might hold off, but eventually need to check the wiring I think... still dealing with the hot restart gremlin.... and the ONLY different thing I've noticed is that the fan is alwayd going and then as the idle creeps up at the same pedal depression height...... the fan ceases and it seems to come out of it.... hmmmmmmmmm! ......meh, probably means nothing. haha

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-22-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello guys... I can say I am very pleased with the Flamethrower injectors. When I pulled the old ones out, I did lose some fuel out of the fuel rail and it took a few seconds for it to start and to get fuel into the rail and injectors. Then it got fuel, sputtered for a minute and started running smoother then before. I was happy with how smooth it ran before but now I am still amazed at how it just sits and idles.

After letting it run and checking for leaks and I then started seeing at how quick it would rev up. It seems quite a bit more responsive to the quick reving. Then it was time to take it on the road. I left the driveway and the area in a reasonable manner. Got to the highway and gave it a little more gas then normal. It did start spinning the one tire. I wasnt trying to do that actually as I am in no hurry for buying new tires.

Took it on the interstate and there I did run it hard. The first 3 gears I have always been able to go thru fairly quick. This did improve quite a bit. 4th and 5th I didnt notice as much of an improvement other then the engine does run smoother and seems like on some hills, it did help out a little.

I then got on the side roads and could not keep my foot out of it again. It has alot more torque on the bottom end. I did chirp the tires a couple of more times and again wasnt trying to,chirp them, and I could of spun them if I had wanted too.

I did try for a 2nd gear spin and did get a squeak. It would break the tire loose if I really stomped it hard. I just wanted to play with the new horse power for a little bit more. I did drop the fuel guage down with my heavy foot. I am curious now as to what my mileage will be like when I start driving like I normally would and not as abusive as I did today.

I will be posting a review later today for Flamethrower. I want to eventually get some of his injectors for my other two trucks. I am very happy with them. Overall in my experience a big improvement for the lower RPMs and some on the higher RPMs.

I would recommend for someone that may be new to Toyotas to label the injector connectors. #3 and #4 might could possibly get swapped.
Name:  Flamethrower2_zps9710f175.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  71.6 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-01-2013 at 07:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance