86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 08:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
I have a tiny rust spot on my pillar next to windshield trim so considering removing and leaving windshield trip off. Anybody has pic of what it would look like without the trim?

TIA
right here with terrys trucks he has them flat replace the trim with rubber seal

mine the glue/mastic they use oozed out inside the truck a bit an fought me tooth an nail to get the a pillar trim off thankfully it gave before the plastic did
Old 07-18-2013, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I have a truck in the shop getting ready for paint. It has the trim off and I can get a picture of it. It will leave a big gap and show the metal clips and black caulking in the window channel, that I dont think you will like it.

I will get some better pictures of my runners windshield. I had a rubber seal installed around it and it looks better then without the trim, and stops the rust that the clips and trim cause. I will get some pictures up later today.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Ray.. Here is a truck I am getting ready for paint. I have the trim removed so as to get a better paint results and to get some of the dust and debri that can get trapped behind the trim as well. I also have a metal clip that has started to cause some surface rust that I still need to take care of, which is why I do remove the trim and use a generic rubber seal. Even at the windshield shop, I helped them remove the trim. The plastic clips that are in there are so brittle they will break. They have a hard time removing the trim. The shop I use charges me $10 to take the trim off. I would suggest having someone to take it off for you. It is a pain in the rear. To reinstall the windshield or trim, they can buy a kit for around $20 and they have to, really no way of avoiding of breaking the clips. But here is what it looks like with the trim off.
Name:  bodywork35_zps39bc4440.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  58.4 KB

Here is what I have done when I have a windshield replaced and will eventually have done to the 88 and 85 trucks as well. The 88 doesnt leak, but I have to keep my 85 in the shop as it leaks like a sieve and will fill the floorboard with the slightest bit of rain. ( Disaster..errr, I meant interior work in progress in the background.)
Name:  bodywork32_zps622011ca.jpg
Size:  70.5 KB
Old 07-18-2013, 04:01 PM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hello Ray.. Here is a truck I am getting ready for paint... To reinstall the windshield or trim, they can buy a kit for around $20 ...
Here is what I have done when I have a windshield replaced ...
Thanks a lot, Terry!
So the replacement rubber trim slips in between the edge of glass and the lip of pillar?
I would be loading a kayak (sea water) on my roof so I think completely sealing interface between glass and rubber, then between rubber and frame with silicone would be good, so water never gets into that cavity. Your thoughts, guys?

P.S. go my Redline MT-90 75W/90 so will be doing my tranny and transfer this weekend. I haven't replaced tranny and transfer oil since I got Ruby Tuesday last year, so I think it's about time. Might also help with occasional hard shifting into first gear.

Happy weekend guys!
Old 07-18-2013, 04:01 PM

i guess the PO of mine put in for the trim to be put back on it sure isnt the original windsheild
Old 07-18-2013, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Was hoping to paint tomorrow but somethings come up. I might have an hour or so to completely finish the bed. The cab has about half a day or less and it will be ready. Tomorrow I have to help an elderly relative so that just stopped everythig til my next days off. Misty did the priming. This truck was really taken care of but it did have some damage. This is one of those trucks you just wish you could find, minor dings and such, just 20 years of being a nice daily driver. She knew the conditon it was in and think she likes the fact that she had a big part in getting it straight again. No way will she even try painting. Doesnt even like the idea of painting but is getting better at priming and alot more confident. She is starting to see beyond what a truck looks like and what it can be like.
Bed is nearly done.
Name:  bodywork34_zpsee0f6cc5.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  97.0 KB

Misty and me started early this morning and the kiddos wanted to join in. If I ask them it is a 50/50 chance. If mom is involved, it must be fun so they will join in no matter what she is doing.

Justin getting the back of the cab.
Name:  bodywork38_zps0e576532.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  64.2 KB

Hunter getting where the camper shell rubbed a groove into the cab. I wont let them or Misty to do the roof or hood. It is to easy to flex and bow around. Those too areas take light pressure and paitence.
Name:  bodywork37_zpsbf81baa1.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  74.4 KB

Mostly a reference for me. The "EFI" is glued on, the "Toyota" has pegs. Just use a scraper to get them off. I keep forgetting which is glued and which has pegs.
Name:  bodywork36_zpsce31f5f8.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  42.1 KB
Old 07-18-2013, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Thanks a lot, Terry!
So the replacement rubber trim slips in between the edge of glass and the lip of pillar?
I would be loading a kayak (sea water) on my roof so I think completely sealing interface between glass and rubber, then between rubber and frame with silicone would be good, so water never gets into that cavity. Your thoughts, guys?

P.S. go my Redline MT-90 75W/90 so will be doing my tranny and transfer this weekend. I haven't replaced tranny and transfer oil since I got Ruby Tuesday last year, so I think it's about time. Might also help with occasional hard shifting into first gear.

Happy weekend guys!
over sealing that area might trap more water/moisture in there than the worries of runoff from your kayak bein devils advocate here
Old 07-18-2013, 04:09 PM

its how i got my badges off the tail gate of mine thin scraper/putty knife

bed looks good terry
Old 07-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

On my runner I got Marks coils in the mail today. Thanks Mark!!! I have the saggy butt going on and like the ZUK mod as I do a lot of trailer towing and feel coil springs are alot better for what I use my trucks for.

Also for picture purposes I am slowly getting the passenger area carpet put in. I will get the trunk area from a local carpet store as stockinteriors.com wants as much for the trunk area as the front area. Aftermarket carpet is great but is not an exact fit. There is 2 inches or so extra all the way around and you have to trim it off. Easier to take a little off at a time. I am hoping to get some factory matching interior paint tomorrow if all goes well. The gray I have in there now is an off the shelf color and was just a temporary fix until I got all my interior together. I have another dash pad I will be installing when I start painting the interior. Interior paint has a bad reputation, but when it is done with regular spray paint it will look bad. You have to use interior paint.
Name:  bodywork33_zps6e3ffd79.jpg
Size:  71.5 KB
Old 07-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Cyberhorn..I am really happy with how it has turned out. The floor of the bed, I am just going to do the best that I can to get the flaky rust out and give it a few coats of paint when I paint the truck. I just dont care to see a bed painted and the inner part looks like no attention is given to it. Even it is used to haul things it will last awhile.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:15 PM

that carpet does look plush terry!!

lol ive got to get some carpet foam scrub an clean mine when i take the seats out for various interior work got the radio ive been wanting and the transmission seats change out plus the feet of my seats have rust which i need to wire wheel prime an paint
Old 07-18-2013, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Here is something I wish I would of known a long time ago. I am truly a nicotine addict. Have tried numerous times to quit smoking and failed at it with flying colors. I pretty much resigned to just being a life long smoker. I friend of mine showed me about Vapor cigarettes. Not saying it is completly healty but it is alot more healthy then smoking.

Tomorrow is one week that I stopped regular smoking and truly dont miss it. I have had two cigarettes and just is not the same. I actually did enjoy smoking and cant really see me stopping nicotine completely at all. No joke, I am a nicotine addict, not proud of it, but it is what it is. Just never had that great appreciation of those telling me what is or isnt healty and same with fast foods. Big government is always looking out for my best intrest in that area as well I guess, grrr.. Dont worry, ex smokers are the worse about stop smoking, Im not getting on my No Smoking soap box, but for those that want to try something else that worked for a die hard smoker like me.

You can get different flavors mixed different levels of nicotine from 0,6,12,18, and 24 if I recall right. Look for a Vapor store or something like that. Here is the beginners kit I started with and it took me a day or so to get used to it and the different flavors is great. Even if I wasnt a smoker, this would be something I would like.

The long part is a rechargeable battery and the clear part is what you put the flavor in. Hot Winter is my favorite, cinnamon and something else. They have numerous flavors from fruit, drinks, foods and candies. Nothing even the same as those disposables you find at quick stop markets.
Name:  vaping1_zps58fbe5f4.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  41.3 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-18-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:40 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I have a Volcano! Lol. .. Go to gourmetvapor.com .... I've made up quite a few flavors there... they have in my humble opinion probably the best tasting and most realistic tobacco flavor I've ever tried. it's actually a lot more enjoyable... but that's a tough one! right on for you man! That one at gourmet vapor is believe called the best tobacco blend ever. lol. they seem really reasonably price is well compared to some...The cartomizers from LECIG are the best I've found for the price. .. I got a brick. In order to use them with volcano I had to get an adapter but its not a big deal at all and he has plenty. custom liquids are definitely the way to go but I'm not big on those flavors. I like the more earthy flavor... but I do like pink lemonade and blueberry muffins and a couple others like that from gourmet vapor. on more like almond Rocca and one of my favorites is called Bucks. They are really good to you over there in a few call sometimes they will send you a few 5 mil samples
Old 07-18-2013, 05:00 PM

caffine addict here tea or diet soda i have to have it or you will see me become a dragon for real

as you two have the issue im sure the news that several European countries have banned the e cigs as they're loosing so much tax revenue from them taking the smokers from the real thing will shock you they'd rather people have health issues from the real stuff than the tax issues from e cigs helping them
Old 07-18-2013, 05:09 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Volcano: 650ma usb one on left/cap on... 1000ma on right...

Name:  20130718_174856.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  2.71 MB

Fav fluid....

Name:  20130718_175002.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  1.86 MB

1/5th of my gear.....

Name:  20130718_180449.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  2.41 MB
Old 07-20-2013, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Cyberhorn...I can see where if these take off, it could hurt the cigarette sales. The refills last quite sometime and I tried a cigarette the other day and it just isnt the same for me and that is something I thought I could never give up. The tax is outragous and they say they want people to quit, but they will feel a loss of revenue.

I was in the tail end of Desert Storm and we had tax free cigarettes. I was paying $3 a carton when they were like $15 with taxes. I go thru a pot a coffee a day as well.lol but I am up all nite and it keeps me going.

Hello Mark.. I checked those out and will be ordering some later on. I like the Hot Winter from where I get mine and a Cherry. We are getting alot of flavors now. Teh wife got her a nicer setup and seems to like it. She is always into upgrading on things. I still have the basic phone.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Zuk'ed!!! No more Saggy Butt for me. Now I just need to replace the Toyotat Factory Orginal 1986 Shocks that are still on it and that will make a huge difference on the ride. The coil springs helped alot.
Name:  fueltank15_zpsa7a29674.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  61.8 KB

Here is how I did it.
Name:  fueltank18_zps0baf54a6.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  31.5 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-24-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great Terry!! Whens your son going to get his own truck?? My sons 9 and he already wants one!!Keep up the good work
Old 07-20-2013, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got my fuel guage working as well. I will eventually replace the float assembly but it is working which I was suprised that it is.
Name:  fueltank14_zpsceb3b0f0.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  57.0 KB

I took the assembly apart and cleaned the wiper that connects to the coil. The black coil by thumb just needed the corrosion cleaned off of the little wiper.
Name:  fueltank17_zpsa1f1a97f.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  65.3 KB

Here is a better view of the wiper that slides on the coil. It had some broken strands so is no good now. A spare that I had.
Name:  fueltank16_zps7fae1db9.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  81.5 KB

Here is a 4Runner tank. Mostly a reference for me. The big and small pipes are oppisite of each other on trucks and 4Runners.
Name:  fueltank19_zps8a9e5543.jpg
Size:  70.0 KB

Another reference for me. The 14mm nut is stationary and the 19mm is the one that gets turned. Will add this to my fuel tank page for future reference for me.
Name:  fueltank20_zps9b614887.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  63.9 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-12-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great with the zuk mod man. Really glad to see you gaining some ground on her. It is still mind blowing to me how you have brought this thing back from the brink and just keep making it better.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance