86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Mark... Eventually this will get fixed and I have learned alot more about the injector circuit so it isnt all bad. The components I have checked have given me that much more confidence in their condition.

The carpet should make a big difference and I will be repainting the interior to a more factory correct color. I just used an off the shelf color to get everything to match.

Hello Cyberhorn...Other then getting a noid light online, and still havent found one for Toyota, I have checked my local Oriellys and they dont rent or have one on the shelf for purchase. I imagine they could order one. I am going to check a few more parts stores and will be in Tulsa and maybe I can find something up there.

A year oor more when I had the crimp issue, I found a way to run a test on the whole circuit. I will see if I can try that again. When I find the problem, I am going to try and make a quick list of what and how to check for things. I have a member PM'ing me and he is having the same or similar issues. That is one reason I consolidated all of the checks I did in the previous post and will keep adding to it. Hopefully some good will come out of it and it can eventually turn into a quick fix when it happens.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I checked the parts store for a noid light and nothing was available. Will check around for more. Times like these is when I figure something out in desperation. Do you think this would work? I am going to go to Radio Shack and get an LED with long enough connectors to stick into the injector harness and see if I get any flashes?

I was going to try a analog meter and I dont have one any more. A digital would not react fast enough to do anything is what I am thinking, but I am going to give it a try. Wont hurt anything and I am not holding my breath expecting any results.

It will be Thursday or Friday before I can try a few other things.

Just added these pictures for a future reference. Keep having to look at previous pages or Photobucket.
Name:  wash4_zps2a24aeec.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  152.4 KB

Name:  wash3_zps1c0d0852.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  149.2 KB

Name:  wash2_zpsf8957462.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  123.2 KB

Name:  wash1_zps6610e057.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  130.1 KB

Name:  tires1-1_zpsf9b2b809.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  96.3 KB

Name:  red4_zpsa0e6b1ef.jpg
Size:  110.6 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-19-2013 at 05:19 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:27 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
O'Reilly.... They rent a kit. (SCHUCK'S or ? - Near you....Checker?) Used the Ford Probe one, iirc.

You given the injectors a lil "test push" using a portable 12v source/tap em with it/ just to hear the click?

I got the Ford Probe noid Twlight when doing my testing... I managed to disconnect number 2 and number three I believe? Whichever the easiest ones were to get too... I got in there and plugged in the noid to the connector of the wiring and pulled it up a little bit to around level with the plenum and then use a mirror so that I could see at that angle well turning the key whether or not I was getting power TO the injector. Now knowing at that point that I had juice to the injector, and absolutely knowing that I had spark, both in combination with the fact that as the truck was first started that runner on the header would remain cold for quite a while... All told me that injector was fuggered and was not going to free up. The funny thing is, one of the head technicians at RC injectors said that I could have simply taken a little punch that I have and while the injector is all snug in its hole on both sides, tap it while someone is turning over the key... And that, he said, probably would have freed up whatever it was. I watched him clean it and it was actually a bunch of crap got in there.... After they had already clean them very thoroughly...., but I remember him telling me that day that it was nearly impossible odds that all four injections would be clogged at the same time. It just almost always runs to the first couple once it hits the rail... Path of least resistance type of crap I guess. Hahaha. I don't think that so much is either as it would just happen by chance.

I've heard of people building their own test lights with the multi meter type pin probes... And just a regular testing light. I'm not sure how accurate that would be without as you said an LED or something of the sort. I also have no idea how they make them but I know people have made them .

I have three of those dang analog meters kama all from O'Reilly... I think they're just called Tekken or something? They work, period! And, I think they're around five bucks. I remember the O'Reilly noid light kit being a little bit of a pain. I have to find one that would work and then it was a little bit difficult to get it to stay in there... I think this is why I use the probe one because it had thick enough pins and they were not so far apart that they were beyond the distance. The problem is those kits are only for domestic cars...

....Just like their mud flaps and license plate brackets and everything else in those stores... Which is just stupid, I'm sorry! For goodness sake, Toyota build so many of the darn cars here and providing jobs and everything else... Never took it single dime of government subsidized money ... Then they have to go in to get grilled by one of the most corrupt organizations ,... Congress? What a freaking joke! But my point is, why is it that every single tool except for powerbilt is built in China, and in every one of those darn stores..., and yet they have some problem with selling a mud flap that says Toyota..... When every single Ford kama Dodge, Chevy and otherwise mudflap they carry is made in China ? I just don't understand, I'm sorry, I will go back into my corner now! Lol..
Old 07-10-2013, 09:37 AM

Just thinking about this again I'm wondering if the noid light is always conclusive of something... I mean, sure, you will know if you have voltage getting to the end of the connector... But my suspicion is it will only light once. I know that my problem was different, where in it would run... It makes it a lot harder to test on your end when you can't get it running... My point is, I have a sneaking suspicion that you are getting either no voltage to the injectors or you are getting one pulse and then they shut down. I know that in the sub books at Toyota they have discussions over these little stupid things all the time... But they don't tell us. Fuel cut, ignitor, distributors relationship to the igniter,... Can all have something to do with non start. I know you're saying that your ignition is likely find and I agree... I just think that somewhere within the harness for the ECU or the relationship of several components something gets lost and shuts down.

I have seen mud hippie break this stuff down to every inch of the way... And still, I think, someone he was helping had one gremlin that the guy he was helping never came back and answered as to whether hippies help figured it out or not.... Can't tell you how much that pisses me off, the fact that people get all that help and then never respond. I'm sure sometimes it has to do with crises that we can't see, etcetera. But often I think people are just knobs! Lol
Old 07-10-2013, 10:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
terry heres a page to read im still looking for a noid light

http://www.justanswer.com/toyota/6kq...ont-start.html
Old 07-10-2013, 02:19 PM

www.autoshop101.com/forms/h22.pdf

http://home.earthlink.net/~twopapa/toyefi.htm

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/93-22re-truck-will-not-start-72476/

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...fpart=all&vc=1

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...tart-help.html

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134675

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=73653.0

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=71479.0

http://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota...ont-start.html

http://www.justanswer.com/toyota/1qb...tor-pulse.html

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/classi...ont-start.html

I have a few more Terry but I've gotten interrupted many times... Very welcome interruption but nonetheless kept me from sharing a few links.... I know you would watch rather just run through diagnostic stuff and I have some of that as well but I will share even though it's probably been put out there... Just want to help! Wishing you the best and quickest solution man!
Old 07-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark and Cyberhorn... You will find the problem amusing. I appreciate all the links and help you guys provided. A big THANKS!!!
Old 07-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Having a big air leak in the air system will cause you problems. The runner would start and die like the AFM wasnt hooked up. That is normal what did and should of happened. I didnt take the air pipe off as that was the least likely area to break. WRONG!!! Just before we went wheeling, I checked the air filter, oil, and just a once over. I must of leaned or knocked the air hose down on the fan. I could not hear anything with the top off and I am not sure I would of heard anything. The fan just barely made contact with the air hose.
Name:  airleak2_zpsaa585b5a.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  21.2 KB

Here you can just barely see that the fan was hitting the air tube. Sure it didnt make much of a noise at the time and with the top off I may of not been able to hear the fan rubbing. Not much signs of rubbing on the fan.
Name:  airleak1_zpsd13311e7.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  52.0 KB

My $3 noid light. I wasnt able to find one anywhere and this worked great. It flickered each time I cranked it. I just couldnt get any pictures of it lighted.
Name:  airleak3_zpsb0afdc7e.jpg
Size:  60.9 KB

I used the 12 Volt red one. Radio Shack Part Number #276-0270 Name:  airleak4_zps660af941.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  46.7 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-12-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:24 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Did that rig not come with a fan shroud?
Old 07-11-2013, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Having a big air leak in the air system will cause you problems. The runner would start and die like the AFM wasnt hooked up. That is normal what did and should of happened. I didnt take the air pipe off as that was the least likely area to break. WRONG!!! Just before we went wheeling, I checked the air filter, oil, and just a once over. I must of leaned or knocked the air hose down on the fan. I could not hear anything with the top off and I am not sure I would of heard anything. The fan just barely made contact with the air hose.

Here you can just barely see that the fan was hitting the air tube. Sure it didnt make much of a noise at the time and with the top off I may of not been able to hear the fan rubbing. Not much signs of rubbing on the fan.

My $3 noid light. I wasnt able to find one anywhere and this worked great. It flickered each time I cranked it. I just couldnt get any pictures of it lighted.

I used the 12 Volt red one. Radio Shack Part Number #276-0270
you mean to tell me that .... holy hanna the problem that could been solved via duct tape on the trail

sigh...

is she running terry? starts an goes

love the noid light simple and effective!
Old 07-11-2013, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon

you mean to tell me that .... holy hanna the problem that could been solved via duct tape on the trail

sigh...

is she running terry? starts an goes

love the noid light simple and effective!
That's the word cyberhorn, I'm still chuckling lol.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
That's the word cyberhorn, I'm still chuckling lol.
oh ill eventually chuckle but right now the frustration of it still raw

like my leg where they got the skin graft today ..ow...
Old 07-11-2013, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
oh ill eventually chuckle but right now the frustration of it still raw

like my leg where they got the skin graft today ..ow...
I don't mean it in a bad way at all. Terry and I talk all the time about the fix being the simple part its finding the problem that's the pain. And all the things learned in the process.

I completely forgot about all the stuff still going on with your foot man. Hope it all gets fixed for good this time.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
I don't mean it in a bad way at all. Terry and I talk all the time about the fix being the simple part its finding the problem that's the pain. And all the things learned in the process.

I completely forgot about all the stuff still going on with your foot man. Hope it all gets fixed for good this time.
nono no worries jason i just dont like an ailment escaping me lol well not like i could inspect the engine from idaho LOL

well good lesson learned check the air pipe for any breach past the AFM when the engine wont run yet starts

yep got a patch of my thigh bloody like road rash for the graft and the wound vac ball an chain as well
Old 07-11-2013, 05:46 PM

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! I LOVVVVVE IT!

Congratulations buddy!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:02 PM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Problem solved?

Problem solved, Terry? Good to know! Sorry wasn't able to pitch in. so swamped at work.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:05 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Grego.. I never even noticed it was missing until you pointed it out. I think I have two shrouds hanging in the shop. It will be going on real soon.

Hello Cyberhorn...Duct tape on the trail? Duct tape is what is fixing it now.lol That is how I would of fixed it on the trail if I had known of the issue. I have another air tube but it has the air injection system on it and I will use it until I can get another non air injection tube. I got to clean all of the muddobbers nest out of it.

She is running like a champ. I have one vacuum line that I need to get hooked back up and havent found its connection yet. Maybe this will be your last surgery. I am still waiting to get me another surgery. Seems like it never ends.

Hello Jason.. You just got to laugh at yourself sometimes. It happens and I got bit in the butt with this one. I just wanted a reason to go thru my fuel and injection sysytem,lol

Hello Mark... This was one of the toughtest problems I have ever dealt with on one of these trucks. Never suspected the air tube. You would of think it would of made alot of noise and it being out of sight made it harder to find. I am not sure you could of seen it from underneath. I can laugh now, but I learned some more about the fuel and injectors.

Hello Ray... Got her fixed. I appreciate your help and got your email. Thanks. She is running great. I hear you on getting swamped. I have several other things I want to be doing and this really tied me up more then you know. I have hours into this fix.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:20 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got a laugh at myself on this one as well, but I learned alot out of it and if nothing else I was able to come up with a cheap noid light. Cant believe I missed not having a fan shroud on as well. That will be getting fixed soon too which would of saved all of this trouble. I am helping a guy with his no start issue thru PMs and feel with what I had to go thru with the crimps and this, we should be able to get his solved.

I will add this to my injector fix from before and will put up some quick checks on what to test and look for on my 88 build incase someone runs into injector or fuel issues.

I was really getting worried that it was some off of the wall problem and when everything kept checking out, was really getting to me. Having a noid light would of saved me alot of time, but I knew my fuel system and firing system was working, I got stuck into thinking it was injector related. Live and learn I guess.lol

My carpet is supposed to be delivered today. If all goes well, I might have it in the runner tonite during my lunch break. The whole interior will get stripped AGAINNN, and I will be getting some new interior paint and looking forward to the results.

My biggest gripe now after interior is the shocks and needing a ZUK mod. Hopefully that should be happening soon. Now I can get back on getting the 86 extra cab finished up and starting on the rebuild of my motor for the 85. This problem really slowed me down. I will try and get caught up on you guys threads here soon.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got my carpet in the mail. Now I just need to get it installed. I am going to try and get it installed tonite of all goes well. I will have to wait for awhile to get interior paint to match it the way I want it. After this all I really need is my AC,Shocks, and Zuk mod and then it will be adding all of the upgrades to it. I still need to fix my gas guage and I have the part so this build is coming to a finish but I will still be doing alot to it. Along ways from where it was.
Name:  carpet3_zps59f33477.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  27.9 KB
Old 07-12-2013, 12:08 PM

yay fixed rad blue!! ooh new carpet smell

i was stymied terry never again now i know! an knowin is half the battle

'yo joe'

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance