86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 09:36 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Craigslist find today. I will be trading some parts for these seats to install in my 86. I just need carpet, and a rear bumper. Carpet isnt much and have a bumper in the works. Once I get the bumper, seats, and carpet installed, I will consider this build done and just upgrading. A long way from when it was just a parts truck to where it is now. Wont be long til this build is DONE... WAHOOO!!!
A long way??? Talk about the understatement of the year! Dude,.... It is just fantastic watching you work! Thanks again from across this forum for all you do to make it easier for the rest of us!
Old 05-27-2013, 09:37 AM

PS: what rig are those seats from?
Old 05-27-2013, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Happy Memorial Day to everyone. I have to work so I get to take my time off later on. Not looking like I am going to get much time to work on the trucks this week but did get quite a bit done today. I finished the top, the drivers door and started on the back end of the truck.

I need to take it to a windshield shop to get the trim off unless someone has an fool proof way of removing it. I have tried several time on different trucks and still have yet to figure it out. I see if done in a matter of seconds, but not me. My dumb butt just cant seem to figure it out.

Some tools you just have to come up with on your own. Paint mixing sticks is very common and works great. I got the window channels cleaned out and got all of the rust off. If you look in some previous pictures you will see what I am talking about.

Passenger side of the windshield and door post. Using a paint stick with sand paper wrapped around it.
Name:  sandingblock3_zps032cd383.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  58.8 KB

Above the passenger extra cab window. Got the surface rust off.
Name:  sandingblock2_zpsac5bfc8b.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  50.8 KB

Misty knocking out some rock dings that came from the back side. She was surprised at how little force it took to get the dings back down. She seems to be liking this and is suprising me at how well she is catching on. She is wanting to make the 85 Extra Cab the way she wants it, so I know that is alot of the reason she is getting involved so much. I showed her Grego92 Door Panel repair build https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...panels-256546/ and she seems excited to try something like that for the 85 and for her runner. I dont have very many clamps and a Dremel plus a few other tools that might be needed to do that repair so next time we are out and I have the list of tools she will need, that is going to help her with the understanding of even though it seems like I have a thousand tools, I always need more. It will be her buying them and not me. hehehe, She doesnt mind me buying tools but I am sure she wonders why, now she will know.

She got a hammer so I have to watch what I say. Those points hurt.lol She had 3 small high spots and did great at getting them smooth.
Name:  sandingblock1_zps4d2d4963.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  59.5 KB
Old 05-27-2013, 11:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lookin good terry an yay for misty gettin involved
Old 05-28-2013, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Mark.. It is getting to where everyone else starts at with a complete truck. I can finally start doing the upgrades and you have a lot of the ones I want to do. I still need to do the Zuk mod and new shocks, going down the highway it rides nice, hit a few bumps and it feels like a lumber truck. It is coming along. The seats are out of an 88 Runner. The guy found some SR5 seats and swapped them out. They look like they could be reupholstered but far better then what I have got. I do have another set that I came across just this past week end, but this is a matched set.

Thanks cyberhorn.. She is starting to look at a truck and see what it can be turned into. She didnt always have that foresight but it is catching on with her.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I try to mention in my threads about how dirty it gets under the cowl. This truck and other trucks I have seen dont always come with the black screen in my hand. Then on top of the black screen there is another screen that is the same you find on home windows. My 85 doesnt have these as well. Any time I am at a bone yard and can get a set of these I grab them. They help keep alot of debri from under the cowl.

I tried to get a picture of it, but there is a stovepipe that is on the passenger side and it goes directoy to the blower motor. Sometimes debri can get over the stovepipe and gets into your ventilation system or cloggs up the AC condeser.
Name:  cleaning16_zpsa115709d.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  83.2 KB

This may be half of what I got out. I used the shop vacu and then an air hose to get the rest out. There is drain holes on the far edges of the truck for water to get out, but the drains can clog. Another shot of the cowl screen I was talking about. I also took the truck to the windshield shop and had to them to remove the trim. Even after watching them, I dont think I could get it off.

If you are going to have a truck painted, removing alot of these things will give a better and cleaner paint job, as well as preventing rust.
Name:  cleaning15_zpsd510fd2f.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  100.0 KB

Got the door finished, need to remove the rest of the trim and get the bed off to get behind the cab and front of bed. Alot of block sanding to do. I might get to work on it Friday. If all gos well, I would like to paint in the next week or so, but just depends on how the time goes. I got a dental appointment and then get need to see my in laws since I have been there since Thanksgiving.
Name:  cleaning14_zpsdcee4148.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  124.9 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-04-2014 at 05:00 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:58 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Nice work Terry and Mrs... I think I mentioned I might be getting a 79' truck but that didn't work out. Another buddy bought it for his son who just got his license and he then did me a favor and sold his 97' civic coupe 5-speed to my nephew for his first car.

I will be doing some body work on that civic and will be referring to your build and asking some questions when the time comes. To make things easier I grabbed a new hood and right front fender from the yard so those are two less panels I have to work on! My biggest fear is a few badly rusted spots on the roof that may have gone all the way through....and I don't weld!

As far as the door panels...better watch out, you might end up with a pattern like this!

Old 05-28-2013, 12:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Grego92
Nice work Terry and Mrs... I think I mentioned I might be getting a 79' truck but that didn't work out. Another buddy bought it for his son who just got his license and he then did me a favor and sold his 97' civic coupe 5-speed to my nephew for his first car.

I will be doing some body work on that civic and will be referring to your build and asking some questions when the time comes. To make things easier I grabbed a new hood and right front fender from the yard so those are two less panels I have to work on! My biggest fear is a few badly rusted spots on the roof that may have gone all the way through....and I don't weld!

As far as the door panels...better watch out, you might end up with a pattern like this!

LOL!
Old 05-29-2013, 05:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Had the same problem on the 87 4Runner with the cowl when i got it if you go and look at some of the pics in my thread. Leaves get bunched up in the blower and shoot up into the condenser.

That truck is looking good.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Grego92.. I remember you talking about the 79, to bad it didnt workout for you. I have been going quite aways out of my area to chase parts and I have been finding a few of those sitting around, just not in my area.

Misty got a laugh out of the pink material and now she has her thread and needle and is heading to California to work on someone elses truck. lol

On the roof of the Civic and since it is most likely that it has been in California most of its life, the rust may look terrible but it might not be as bad as you are thinking. Here is a link to what some might of thought wasnt worth fixing and it cleaned up great. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199.../#post51920972

This is the back of my 85 and Misty was asking me if we were going to be able to use the bed for our truck. I took some 80 grit paper and in less then a minute, I had it down to clean, smooth shiney metal. Maybe this will give you some hope for the Civic. If it did rust thru, you will need some welding. I cant wait to get a welder as I need to weld a hole in my trucks floorboard.

The thing about doing the roof of the Civic is you wont be able to apply alot of pressure to it as it will collapse or buckle, it will take some time but you will most likey get it to clean metal. I didnt have any good pictures, but Toms truck, the 86 Extra cab I am working on had some similar rust in the rain guard on the passenger side and I got it to clean metal and am not worried about rust coming back on it.

I am going to eventually put all of the pictures I have of body work in order and try and show some steps in how to work out a dent. I am hoping this weekend to put a few more up.

Here is my 85 and what I was able to get to clean metal in less then a minute, it isnt nearly ready but maybe it will show what the possibilities are. Maybe this will give yo a little hope for the roof. It cant be this bad??? lol
Name:  rust7_zpsadd0a2b2.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  54.0 KB
Old 05-30-2013, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Mark.. It is feeling good to see this truck getting closer to being done. It wont ever be done as I think I am about half way or so as to where I want this truck to be. I am going for it to be from a junkyard dog to a house pet. I am wanting it to be one of the nicest trucks around here when I do get it done.

The seats are from an 89 Runner, but they have been reupholstered to non factory design. This is okay with me as mine my truck is so far from orginal, that I dont mind it straying from orginal. The color of them, I am debating on going witha blue interior or staying with a gray interior. I am not sure which would look best.

Hello cyberhorn...She got a laugh about it as well. She does seem intrested in doing some interior work and I would like to see her take a big intrest and find a since of satisfaction out of creating something like that. Women in general have a natural talent for details and I she is seeing things quicker in bodywork that took me a longer time to catch on to.

Hello junk4u...I try to show what gets in the cowl eventually does get down to the blower and the ventilation system. I have seen the condenser get clogged like you are mentioning. Yours has the condenser in it and it does catch alot. The picture below is for a truck that doesnt have AC on it but has a tube that goes from the blower to the heater core. My brother bought my 88 truck and this past winter was freezing his butt off. At first we thought it was a bad heater core. It was just dirt that had gotten into the cooling fins of the heater core. They do get bad.

Here is what junk4u is talking about. This truck didnt have AC, but you get the same results on the condenser. The heater core on the right is clogged. If your AC isnt working the best, you may need to pull the condenser and give it a good cleaning. When I ran a water hose over the dirty core in my hand, you should of seen the mud flow out of it . It was BAD!!!
Name:  heatercore2.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  120.7 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-30-2013 at 04:32 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I went and got my seats yesterday. They are in great condition. They will need some repair. I need to replace the passenger slide cable, fix a patch on the side where the vinyl is missing and it has a cigarette burn in the drivers seat. Sooo much better then what I have in my runner now. I just need to get some carpet on order.

The color of these seats may make me change the color of my interior back to blue. That is still being debated right now. If so, no big deal, I will rob the dash out of my 85 pickup as its interior color has still yet to be decided on as we dont know what color we are going to paint the body.

The guy that I got these seats from found a nice set of SR5 seats for his runner out of a boneyard so I got these. What was supposed to be just picking up parts turned into a great time of looking at his projects. He takes the 74-78 Mustang II Cobras and restores them. He tears them all the way down to nothing and brings them back to like new condition from one end to the other end. He does an incredible job on his work. Engines,body, and interior.

I told Misty I would be back in a few hours, I spent a few hours just looking at his Mustangs and the work he was doing on his Runner was great as well. He said this was his first Toyota and he was just liking the truck more and more. He got one of the most base models there is. It has rubber instead of carpet and not many options and he was adding alot of the extras to it and doing a mighty fine job. It is a solid truck, but was neglected from what he told me, but I could see it has come along way from when he first got it. It is one of those trucks now that you would just love to find on craigslist and would never know it was in the condition that it was in. I was quite impressed.

I will get pictures of the seats later, but it is raining and I still have them in the 3rd Gen that I need to get put in the shop. Speaking of the 3rd Gen, on my way home the brakes are going to need rebuilt now. They have braked their last. Oh well, glad Toyotas brakes are easy to replace.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got my back seats in. I am going to go to a darker gray on my panels. Will need to repair the rip in the front of the passenger side seat. A whole let better then what I had. Will be ordering me some gray carpet soon. The whole interior will have to come out again to darken the panels and replace the carpet.
Name:  seatsin1_zps26a435eb.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  52.7 KB
Old 05-30-2013, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking good buddy congrats.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:55 AM

Seat looking really nice.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:05 AM

Okay now that you have a seat and you can sit down and listen to me! Hahahahaha, just kidding just kidding... But I was going to ask is actually related to the AC and heater core. I noticed that you flushed it out and most likely you will be getting better heat now... What I'm wondering is if that is possible on the list of being part of my problem, because for one, most everything up in my dash was looking pretty immaculate... That doesn't mean that there is a bunch of crap stuck in there... But then I also wanted to mention that when I flow from back to front trying to flush out the heater core it was like adding another hose... No resistance at all. I know I went over this with you before but I would hate to one day go through all of that crap to change up my heater core that doesn't even have a problem... But then I don't see any way to clean it like you did without removing it
Old 05-30-2013, 09:27 AM

Hey Chefyota,

Not to steal away anything from Terry as he can probably answer the question better, but maybe you can try this product:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1785&ppt=C0050

I have never used it, I just use the stuff you can buy at any A/C store like johnstone ac supply. I use biodegradable stuff and self rinsing, I use it mostly on the house A/C inside and out side keeps the coils somewhat clean and buying this stuff by the gallon and making your own mix saves a lot. I spray every 3 to 6 months. I use it inside and outside condenser and evaporator same with the car. A clean Coil mean cooler cooling for me.

After spraying that stuff inside the box, I got one of those engine cleaning tools you hook into a compressor and siphon water to clean it out.

http://www.harborfreight.com/engine-...gun-68290.html

Works good for cleaning the coils in your house and in your car, don't always need to as the stuff I use is self cleaning, I just like a good rinse.

Hope this gives you some ideas as I had to modify things to get it to work. Oh yeah when you flush it like this you should make sure the drain line is clear all the time, when you flush sometimes the stuff could clog up the drain.

Last edited by junk4u; 05-30-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:57 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87

Misty got a laugh out of the pink material and now she has her thread and needle and is heading to California to work on someone elses truck. lol
Nooooooo....stay away! Actually, with all the fruit loops around here, it wouldn't surprise me if someone already has that inside their truck around here!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey terry, build looks great. I am in the process of fixing up an 86 4runner myself. I'm sure you have probably been asked this many times before, but its a manual correct? Also another Q for anyone who might know, i probably sound like a huge n3wb asking this, but what type of oil should I be using for my standard 86'? I really don't know alot about cars so be easy !
Old 05-30-2013, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by secondhandstoke
Hey terry, build looks great. I am in the process of fixing up an 86 4runner myself. I'm sure you have probably been asked this many times before, but its a manual correct? Also another Q for anyone who might know, i probably sound like a huge n3wb asking this, but what type of oil should I be using for my standard 86'? I really don't know alot about cars so be easy !
I believe for the differentials you want 80w-90 and for the trans and transfer case you want 75W-90 ...... maybe its the other way around? Hahahaha... But no doubt unless you go to a decent part store you might want to call ahead and make sure that they have multiple grades of gear oil. I can't tell you how many times I've gone down there only to find nothing but a five gallon bucket of 90W-140.. . Usually very limited on synthetic gear oil as well... But many of them like Pep Boys will often have Mobil 1 synthetic or Lucas or possibly royal purple... I'm not even going to get into that because it will turn into a crap storm of arguing... Lol... But basically if you look in the beginning of your hands manual if you have one it will tell you every recommended fluid for every application in the car... Like ATF for steering fluid, etc

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance