86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 03:20 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello Tinman.. Sent you a PM. Really appreciate it.

I did get a 86 harness the other day. Have been busy with quite a few things.

Did learn 2 lessons the hardway. One was that a 22r Timing Chain Cover (early model??) wont work on a 22re. I should of known that but I have a spare that will work so will drag it out and get it on the motor.

The other is clean the Rear Main Seal when it still on the engine hoist. I had to take it back off the stand to get it clean and the old gasket off before putting it back on. You can install it with the engine on the stand.

Things should move along fairly quick for a little bit and then I will hit a slow spot again. Just got to get the time to get it done. The father in law was over yesterday and I think he might be wondering if this truck will ever run again. I told him I have been in this situation before and am not worried about getting it going again. He would enjoy doing something like this but he just lives to far away.

Mother in law thinks it is a waste of time and money. How does a daughter be so different from the mom?? I dont think we could agree on the time of day.

My dad retired officailly Friday. Must be nice, I am going to try and get him involved in some of this rebuild. Think he will like helping out some from time to time and he knows the stuff that I struggle with such as rear brakes and the rear axle seals. Those are two of my weak spots.

Hoping Monday everything will make one big step if all goes well. Fianlly starting to feel like I am going to be in the rebuild stage instead of the tear down stage.

Just got my Timing Chain and another harness. I can atleast get the engine in and maybe start assembling my front fenders and core support and other engine accessories.

On the harness, I can start putting the dash back in. If it doesnt get to cold, I am thinking it will start looking like a runner again fairly soon. Still going to be a hold up on getting the head to the machine shop.

Last edited by Terrys87; 02-20-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Did learn 2 lessons the hardway. One was that a 22r Timing Chain Cover (early model??) wont work on a 22re. I should of known that but I have a spare that will work so will drag it out and get it on the motor.
yea some 85 and older are about an 1/8in taller then other 85 and newer, i ran into tht a while back when i was trying to put an 8522r in my truck, ran in to all sorts of problems.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The father in law was over yesterday and I think he might be wondering if this truck will ever run again. I told him I have been in this situation before and am not worried about getting it going again. He would enjoy doing something like this but he just lives to far away.

Mother in law thinks it is a waste of time and money. How does a daughter be so different from the mom?? I dont think we could agree on the time of day.
This I can relate to. I hate it when my extended family starts cross-questioning me about my rig, like they understand ANYTHING about what I do or my motivations behind it. They who can't even do their own oil change.

Keep the faith man. We all can attest to the magic you work on these beloved trucks!
Old 02-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello twistedyota..I hear you on all sorts of problems. It actually fit and most of the bolts lined up, but not all, if someone wasnt paying attention, they could get it all togther and have to tear it down again. I will try put some info out on it and maybe save someone else a headache. Wish I would of known.

Thanks Zelephant...I really appreciate it. I have been watching your build and you have done some great work. Considering where you have started with no experience to how your rig has turned out has been nothing short of fantastic. Keep up the great work.

I dont let it bother me, I have heard so many times of "what a piece of junk" to "you want to sell it?" when done. One friend of mine has done that several times. I tell him they are having a 10 for 1 special on his model of car downtown that he drives daily to lets play games with the Repoman. OOPS!! Forgot, mine is paid for.hehe..

Not having a carpayment for nearly 7 years has helped me tremendous and I can do my projects for a fraction of the cost of a used one. I will be doing a breakdown of my planned cost here in the next few days when it is to cold to be outside. Its cheap. I paid $500 for this truck for parts for my wife truck and added it to her build cost so I figure I am zero on the purchase of this build. So far I am about $75 into the build. Been buying parts for awhile way before even starting it. $60 for backglass,mudflaps, taillights, and another $15 for cleaning and painting supplies. My gaskets and seals are from previous builds that I didnt use all of the parts on. Will need to buy injector seals and halfmoon seals. Still have a ton of gaskets left. It should be cheap.

Edited: I did have to spend $60 on a Timing Chain.

Just dont let it bother you, the satisfation of building it instead of buying it is great for me and I have won my dad over on it and my father in law knows I can do it. That is satisfaction in itself.

Here is another I did the bodywork on. It was ROUGH when I started on it. It is sweet and I got to drive it awhile back. I just did paint and bodywork but the owner has done it up right in the mechanical department.

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-23-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got my Timing Chain on and had to replace the Timing Cover due to it being worn. I tried to use a early model 22r and they wont interchange. Thought I would put some info up to help others identify what they may have.

84 and older. 22r has no dimples/circles and the number "2" on it. Twistedyota got it right on the height thing, see the last picture for a good example. I also tried to mark which bolt holes for removing the timing cover on down the road when I have to do a chain again. Hope it wont burn off but it if does I tried to come up with an easier way. Never can remember which bolts they are.

22re has "6k" and dimples/circles. 85 and up.

Here is what I am talking about on the 1/8th inch height. I used a lockwasher to help show how much of a difference. This cover is 22r. Seems like the oil pump bolts were to short. Hope this will save some one some trouble. It is an early model 22r timing cover on a newer 22re block.

Here is a intake manifold that I used for my 86 Runner and something wasn't right on it and had to use another. The first stud up by the fuel pump lines up but nearly all of the rest don't as you get further to the back of the motor.

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-16-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

It doesnt really show, but I did zip tie it on the bottom of the Camshaft gear also. I was afraid it might come off of the bottom tooth on the Crankshaft. It will be a little bit before I get the head serviced and all of the time I had to get the oil pan bolts cleaned I somehow didnt get them done. Still have some tweaking and peaking to do on it and will retorque all of the bolts to specs and put the block in the engine bay.

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-29-2016 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good Terry. Thanks for the info. I hate to tell you to spend some money, but the HF 20 gallon parts washer, and some solvent is money well spent, and will save you a ton of time. Solvent will cost more than the washer, but it last a long time.

P.S. I got mine by getting caught washing parts in the wife's dishwasher. Not telling you to try it, but it might help the cause.

Later

Last edited by TinMan; 02-06-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Zelephant...I really appreciate it. I have been watching your build and you have done some great work. Considering where you have started with no experience to how your rig has turned out has been nothing short of fantastic. Keep up the great work.
I feel bad I don't have more progress to report, I expected to have the interior almost buttoned up by now. I have an income situation, or a lack thereof, and I don't want to work a lot during the semester. I have money to put gas in the thing, thankfully, but I can't responsibly finish the project just yet.

Thanks for your support, though, when I have more money to put into it, I'll have more results to share!

Back to you...

Last edited by Zelephant; 02-06-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Tinman..I had one from Harbor Frieght and it really worked well for me. I used it quite a bit. It didnt survive the move from Tulsa to well. I am hoping to get one soon. They are handy little things to have.

The wifeys dont always see things like we do. hehe.

Hello Zelephant..The runner can wait. Get through school. Being in school is difficult as it is, so no reason to make it harder then what it has to be. I know what funds are like while in school.

I was in the electronics field for 15 years thinking I was all secured in a field and then one day I got the pink slip. I didnt want to have to move the family so got out of it. I am alway telling the younger ones in my unit that I am in, that if you dont have a skill get one. If you got one skill, get another skill. Todays economy you just dont know.

I really like this as a hobby, but the biggest reason is I am actually trying to learn autobody better just incase I ever got laid off again. I have talked to body shops when I have a question and then I show them pics of what I have done on my cellphone of before and after. I have been asked if I wanted a job by 3 different ones.

I started out helping a guy and is how I learned. He didnt make any money off of me at first, but I have since helped him out at no charge and he has calls me from time to time to help him get caught up. I could go to work for him now and still like getting tips and tricks from him.

So I am in self teach school. I am just waiting for warmer weather to get started on doing bodywork again. I will be painting my runner and I have a 72 Cutlass that I want to paint also this spring or summer.

I am good or ok on bodywork and have turned down alot of request to paint others cars or fix dents, but my skills and shop are not where I want them to be, I want them great so when someone ask who did their truck I can be proud to have my name on it. Its my long term goal to do it on the side and maybe further down the road full time.

Just thought I would tell you this so to help you keep your priorities in order. Get through school and your skills set and jobs will be out there. Then the runner can get moved up on priorities after that. Hang in there. It will be over before you know it.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I didnt get as much done as I would like. I have always seen people have issues with getting the pilot bearing out and was wondering why it was so difficult. I have never had any problems getting one out.

That changed today, I fully understand now. I had seen where it had been mentioned to fill it full of wet paper towels and use a rod to pack it in and it would push the seal out.

I used oil instead, (too lazy to go to the house and get water), and even then I was worried that wouldnt work. Paper towels were blowing the bearing covers off and bleeding through the bearings. It finally came off but not after I had tried every tool in the shop and several different ideas.

I took a 3/8th extention and put it on the bench grinder to make it just small enough to barely go through the bearing hole. The wet paper towel works great. Thanks Yotatech.

Last edited by Terrys87; 02-20-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:26 PM

I am with you on the get as many skills as you can, then stay on top of all your certs, it is very easy to let some cert or skill you don't use very often fall by the way side. Then next thing you know someone is asking for it. If I hadn't let my motorcycle safety instructor expire, I would be teaching every weekend. Now the ones highering don't want to put me through the course again. I can't tell you how many OSHA Certs I have had over the years. Now getting ready to retire from the military, they might have made me some money if I would have stayed on top of them. Now I pretty much have permission from the wife to start full time into a two year machinist course this fall. We will have to be very frugal with money, but the long term goal is to do something I love for myself. But in the long run it is very nice to have skills that you can fall back on. Even if it is just to get through a tough time.

When I took my runner to the body shop to ask what to use to glue the hood crossmembers to the skin with. The dude offered me a job. Would have took it if they were open nights and weekends.

Ok done rambling now.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Congratulations on retiring soon. Bet you are ready for a break. You will miss it in some ways. The military communtity is a tight nit group that you wont find out here.

I did 6 active Navy and got one more to go to retire from the guards. Got a trip to each one of the sandboxs. Hope I do not have to go back but if have to I would go again. The last bunch of guys I went were the greatest.

My dad got to ride the ship from Hawaii to San Diego on a Tiger Cruise. He still talks about it every now and then. He had never been around the military and was quite surprised at all the different things that are involved. He wished he would of gave it a try.

I wanted to travel and got that out of my system. Been around the world 3 times and have a trip to Guatamala this summer. Never been to Central America, but I am completely happy being a homebody now.

School is tough but it really makes a difference. I have thought of taking a course here this summer for autobody but working and school is a handful. Been down that road before and still having nightmares.lol

I have the next 3 days off from work and if I can get the shop warm should be able to get a ton of work done. If all goes to plan it would be a huge step in getting it back together. We had snow flurries and temperture isnt looking good. If I cant get it warm I will be doing alot of rambling here myself.lol.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I spent about 3 hours working on the runner today. No pictures but, did get alot of the frame cleaned up. Still have aways to go on it. Just trying to get all of the oil and sand build up off of it.

Wanted to pull my old wiring harness out and get the new one in but with coveralls on it was just to bulky to be moving around in the cab. I had the heater going and it helped but not enough so I just dressed up to stay warm and was able to at least get some under carriage cleaning done.

I have a 2 or 3 inch body lift that I am actually going to take out. I dont want to have to climb into it each time to drive it as it will be my daily driver. Im not sure I like how the PO put it in anyways. Other then a couple of wire plugs and steering there isnt much holding the body on. If I can make some sawhorses and get some good support I might just go ahead and lift the body off so as to get the frame protected real good from future rust.

I plan on driving this thing for quite sometime and want it to last, will just have to wait and see. If I go that route just yet. I have been able to get clean as it is. I have swapped frames before so it isnt a new thing to me or that I am intimidated by it. I just want to start getting this on the road.

Really wished it was warmer as I have quite a bit that I can do. But at least I am not having to sit and wait on parts so that is a good thing.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:03 PM

Terry I got my body up off the frame by using my engine crane on the core support. Take a wratchet strap and run it from the hood stop bushing hole on each side. Then the chain from the engine hoist in the middleof the wratchet strap. Raise the front of the body up enough to get a peice of 4x4 between the body and frame on each side. Keep the fenders on for this, as it will provide strength to the body.

Then on the rear I took a floor jack, a fairly long peice of 4x4, and a piece of 2x4. In the rear, under the body, by the tail gate, there is a cross member to reenforce the body. The 2x4 will be placed flat side against the cross member. The 2x4 will distribute the load accross the back of the body. Put the floor jack under it, the 4x4 from the floor jack to the 2x4 on the body, and slowly raise the body enough to get 4x4's between the body and frame. I did tht back and forth until I had about 8" of clearance between the body and frame.

Sorry I don't have any pics,

You could also lay a 2x4 along the pinch weld on each side, then use floor jacks and 4x4's to raise the body. I couldn't do it that way because my rock sliders were already welded on, and in the way.

Good luck
Old 02-14-2012, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Tinman..I hadnt thought of using the engine hoist to get the front end lifted. I will give that a try when I can get back out into the shop. It has been to cold to be out there. I am ready to get back in there and I got plenty to get done.

I just went over the month mark on this build and I seem to keep going the disassemble direction instead of the assemble direction. I will eventually get to that stage. I really thought I would have it running by now.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:38 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Been over a week since I have been in the shop due to the weather but things are looking better here soon. I have been driving my flatbed and the heater works great but I do have some rust holes in the floorboard and just metal floors and no carpet so it does get a little chilly in there and eventually it will get warm.

Been driving the wife runner and I have Peel and Seal from the firewall all the way to the rear, and when I did the carpet in her truck I had the extra insulation added to it for noise reduction and with the bitter cold, it gets HOT in there. Defintly something else I am going to do on this build.

Things are looking better for the next few days so am hoping for some progress.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:40 AM

Terry, any funny smells or anything with the peal and seal? I need to get started on the inside of my runner, and sound deading/insulation is going to be first up on the list. Peal and seal is way cheaper than dynomat or lizard skin.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Tinman, I hadnt noticed any smells when I put it in and still havent ever notice any since. I am very happy witht the results. Before we had the PS in there it was difficult talking to the kids and now it is easy to hear them while they are riding back there.

I dont know what it was like as far as insulation wise, but it seems to help with that also. Heat seems to stay in well. When I put what I had left in the 86, I had to bring the PS into the house to get it warm so as it was sticky, but after that it stuck well.

I got mine at Lowes and not every store has it. May need to call a store and see which one has it in your area or they can do a store to store shipment I think.

I feel you will like the results of it. Glad I found out about it on Yotatech as the Dynamat is expensive.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Jason stopped by for a couple of days. We did some part swapping and he has helped me move my build up by a couple of months. Things that I would have to wait for funds to free up would of been the hold up for me. Thanks Jason. We got to go to the bone yard here in my area and he was able to get a few parts he has been needing. Seems like the parts you need are never in your area and he had a hard to find part and they had 3 of them here. We had a great time and actually lucked out at the yard. They had alot of the things we were looking for.

While there they just got in a wrecked runner and I got a few parts off of it and in the morning I will be going to get the rear seats out of it and then will get the front seats out of it later this week. I will be holding up on sending my head to the shop as we get very few runners here so have to get parts that arent easily available. The seats are gray and I have several gray interior pieces so will be changing my interior color.

I had taken a break from the runner, really didnt want to mess with it for a while and it was just to cold last week so it worked out well for me. Spent some time in the shop today working on different things. I got a Alighnment bolt for it from Jason and to get one one small task done for the week, I got my missing bolt back in. Will send it to alghinment shop when I get it running.

Missing Bolt.

Replaced bolt and Wheel and tire that I got off of Jason. Wheels will eventually go on wifes 88 truck when she gets new tires.

I finally got the old wiring harness out and got my new one in. It is an in depth job but really hasnt been to hard to do. It is time consuming. I probably should of spent some time looking up more info on tips to make swapping a harness out. It is mostly in. Just need to make sure I get it routed around the steering wheel shaft properly.

I have my flatbed to refer to and see how things go. I would suggest having a another truck to compare to but it isnt something to avoid. I feel alot better replacing the harness as to what the PO had several splices in for who knows what. I got all of the factory plugs in. I did need to replace the stereo wires on this new harness.

I did need to drop the dash brace to get the harness out and having the windshiled out has made this so much easier to do.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I need to change my camera settings. Some how it switched on me,Urghhh... If all goes well I should be able to get quite a bit done this week. Since I am getting the seats out of the runner in the boneyard, I will be holding off on getting my head to the shop. This will put off getting it moving quicker but will hold cost down later on down the road.

The seats look alot better then what I have got and I wont need to reupholster my seats which hasnt been cheap. The best price I can find for the 88 has been $400,800 and 1600. I will be doing my interior in gray as I have alot of gray parts. I will be getting the when I get off of work and start getting them cleaned up. Will be awhile befor I get them in as I want to insulate the back of the truck before putting it back together.I think this should be a good week for me if all goes well.

Government didnt hire all them new IRS agent for nothing. I know 3 people that got audited last year and have a couple of neighbors that got it this year. We got it this year just as well. My wife worked part time and guess she and her ex didnt file taxes in '96 and the government went back 16 years. They were in school then so dont think damages will be to bad when all is said and done, but is something that will need to be taken care of and will effect my build. Just thought I would put this info out to give some on here a warning as to what could be coming their way. I think the govs revenue is down and we are to bail them out. I have done my taxes every year so Im not worried about myself. 16 years did surprise me though.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance