86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 05:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
WOW... Toyota opened up a assembly line for body painting in Missouri?

Looking good... Sure can't wait to start my own body works soon.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Its nice to see the Family helping out with the projects!! I cant wait until my boys are old enough to help me out in the shop.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice Terry. I can barely get my younger brother to help me out in my projects. He doesn't seem to take interest in auto related things or work too much its kind of sad actually. He has been helping me more lately though because I gave him an eye opener for whenever he got his rig. So ive tauggt his how to do oil changes and basic maintainence on both my cars and moms car. I had my first truck at his age and I bought it myself. But anyway. Looks like your kids are more helpful then my brother is lol. Hope my future kids will take interest in working on the trucks like yours do.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Hello cyberhorn..I take the bumper pieces, I found one today, but it was so rusted up, there was just no way of getting it out.

Hello junk4u.. Now if I could only get them to work a little faster.lol, I am hoping they take a real intrest in it later on. It might keep them out of trouble and they are not getting a car given to them when they get older. I am going to make them have so much blood, sweat, and tears into that hopefully they will take care of it.

If you got the patience for bodywork, it is really surprising with what you can make a truck look like and a big difference. I will be glad to see you start as well as that is something I really enjoy following over any other builds. Wish there were more of that going on here.

Hello Gizzler00.. It will be even nicer when I can be the supervisor.lol, They do spend alot more time with me then what I show on here. They like runnign the impact wrench, electric tools, and primer gun. I try to make it fun for them.

Hello Redeth005.. I was hoping my brother would take a bigger intrest in these trucks as well. He is always getting compliments on his truck and really enjoys it, but he likes it best when it is just me working on it and not him.

Dont get in no hurry to have kids, I wasnt even thinking about kids til I got in my early 30s and I really glad I waited til when I did. I got to see and do alot that I wouldnt have gotten to do other wise. I joke with them about adoption agencies and leaving them at a zoo or something like that, but they really do add a whole new meaning to life and is something you dont want to miss out on though. They dont stay little forever and eventually mom and dad isnt their to priority and the time is very little with them even on a daily basis. You will be surprised, but they are fun.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got another runner. It is actually better then any of the ones I have worked on in the past. I have only seen 2 or 3 SR5s and this one was a fully loaded SR5. Most of it is missing now and I will eventually just bring it back to a base model runner. Apparently a kid owned this. He filled in where the stripes are, painted ther rear axle red, and the frame silver. It did at one time look like Marks (Chefyota4x4) truck.

I wont be working on this one any time soon other then putting on some missing pieces that I have. Mostly it needs a motor to get it back on the road, the one thing I dont have. I will eventually fix it up nice but I have several other projects going on that this one will just have to sit on the back burner until I get the time to mess with it. I wont keep it for my self as I have 2 trucks, Misty has hers, and for the family truck we have a 3rd gen runner.

About the only funds I will spend on it anytime soon is at the carwash. I need to get the hood on it and button it up, but is alot cleaner and will be nicer to work on when I do get to start on it. On a trailer is the easiest way of getting it fairly clean before getting one home. Just something I do when I have to haul one home.

Drivers side. The carwash showed some of the orginal stripes underneath the rattle can silver paint. Cleaned the engine bay as well.
Name:  red2_zpsa679a5ed.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  103.7 KB

The guy that installs all of those butthead connectors got contracted out on this one as well. He put quite a few under the bumper. I will have to get a picture of them later. There is no telling how many of them connectors I have removed from alot of the Toyotas I have seen.
Name:  red1_zps38182ae9.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  69.3 KB
Old 05-23-2013, 11:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
tops faded you gona sand an repaint it red terry? that'd certainly raise the price you could sell it for an i will admit mine gona come off an i need to learn how to pull the L trim an slider windows off

looks like they put on some rancho shocks an steering stablizer under there
Old 05-24-2013, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Here is how I pull the "L" trims.

Copied...
The whole window has to come out and the L trims are held in with some screws once the window is out. You have to take the interior plastic covers off that cover the bolts that you take out to take the cover off with.

The way I do it but isnt as clear in the FSM is on the passenger side I put my feet in the floorboard and my knees in the passenger rear seat. With my left elbow in the top most forward corner with my fore arm running the length of the top all the way to my fist/wrist.

I try to distribute pressure all along the top and maybe a little more on my elbow to start breaking the seal at the top forward corner and when I get a crack in the glue btween the fiberglass top and the glass assembly, I use a putty knife with my right hand and use it to help cut the glue and help break the seal.

Also before I start this, I open the front glass of the fiberglass cover so as I can be ready to hook my arm thru the opening to keep it from falling to the ground. If you can have somebody standing on the outside of the truck to help catch it, would be nice.

Slacker suggest using a heat gun to soften the glue. I have never had to reinstall the glass assembly, and I hear you can reuse the glue, but I have never done reinstall so you should check more into that.

I sent Jason in tn some of the plastic pieces and he installed them on his runner. He might have some tips for you on that. It has been along time since I removed them so not much help there.

Here is Slackers >>>http://www.toyotafiberglass.com/4runner_10.html Just use the oppstite arms on the oppisite side.

Here is an easier diagram.

Originally Posted by 4runnerx3

The part called window glass channel has screws going through it into the back of the L shaped trim. The hardest part is cutting through the adhesive which holds the window in.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice find Terry. Im interested to see what you do with it.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:25 AM

Wow, Terry you never seem to stop amazing me. You love the 4Runners just as much as I do, but you have an advantage You seem to find them all over the place.

I want my close to stock, but that would be close to impossible to get it completely stock since the cost would be so high.

I talked to my buddy from college who back in 1985 purchased the first runner I had ever seen. It was carb and Solid axle. When I got mine in 1986 it was IFS and EFI. He sold his after a few years later for $2000 and he keep it mint. Back then I told him I would have purchased if he had told me he was selling it.

The other day I was looking at a 1994 V6 4WD, was in pristine condition all around motor was keep clean and body was original paint(garage keep) with 165,000 original owner. It had a blown head gasket the guy wanted $800 for it. I thought about it and didn't want to go through another build at this time, but I knew about the recall. I got the VIN and called the dealer - Sorry Recall done already. I would have taken it the truck if it didn't go through the recall already would have save me the trouble and would have been a sweet deal. He sold it already so no future plans to that.

Back on topic, sure wish I had as many of these 1st gens lying around like you seem to have.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:17 PM

thank you terry! ill make a note of the info
Old 05-25-2013, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello junk4u... I am fortunate enough that I can do motor and body work so that does help alot to keep cost down. As long as I stay stock, I am able to do a project for a reasonable amount. Some of the add ons an upgrades out there are just cost prohibitive for me as well. If you watch my builds, there is not alot of spending, alot of cleaning and refurbuishing parts as I go. There comes a time like paint,interior, and motor work that I have to spend alot up front and then it goes to more cleaning and refurbishing again. A slow steady pace and it you will get there. I slowly accumlate some parts when I come across a good deal, and that is part of the fun of it too as long as you have the patience and dont mind going on the hunt for them.

I am still learning about quicker and better ways of doing restores as I go and eventually want to try to come up with a patten that might help others on bringing their trucks back to life without having to go thru so many steps as I have had go thru. I will post some of the steps I have learned in response to Gizzlers post below.

I wish I had known of these trucks back in the late 80s, but these trucks were slow to catch on here in the midwest and back then I was in to the old V8 back then.

Your welcome cyberhorn... I posted it on yotagoons thread and couldnt remember where I posted it. If yo want me to I can post it on your thread as well. I wanted it on mine as well so I could find it as it will come up again sometime. I have never reinstalled them so I cant help there. I hear you can just heat the glue up again and it will work. But I never have so might want to look into it.

Hello Gizzler00..It will be awhile before I start on it as I want to get my two trucks to where I want them to be at. I will fix this one up nice as well when it is done. I would like to keep it, but unless Misty wants to sell hers, this one will eventually get sold, I know where I want to go with mine. But somethings I have learned and kind of want to show on this one when I do start on it and how I do mine is to come up with a game plan to keep from having to go back and redo some of the things I have done in the past.

The first I will show below and what I like to do is to strip the interior and give it a good cleaning from front to back. The ventilation system is dirty in this truck as to be expected after 20 plus years old. At this time I dont plan on doing the sound deadening in it, the next step while getting a motor for it is to get all of the fuel, brake, electrical system checked and in working order until I get a motor in it. Give it a good cleaning underneath and painted as well.

Not wanting to be a copycat off of Highlux's build, but if you can see what the end goal of what you want it to be, it really helps keep you motivated in knowing what you are going for. I really like his truck and if I hadnt of painted mine blue and would of seen his before, I probably would of went his route. At heart I am a true orginalist, but since the trucks I fix up, I am not hurting their value, if anthing only bringing its value up. lol

Doing a full color change isnt hard at all with the exception of doing the engine bay. That is a pain in the rear, but is the only way I will do a color change. Just something I like the engine bay matching the body like the factory would of done.

This one way I have thought of going, I really like this color or something very similar.
.Name:  photo2-1.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  289.4 KB[/QUOTE]
Old 05-25-2013, 08:55 AM

Hey Terry,

I have a few question for you on your car hauler.

1) How big is your trailer/

2) Have you ever pulled the trailer with one of your 22re 1st Gen?

I pulled a u-haul 6x12 enclosed trail loaded with a little over 4500lbs over the specified load. We had to stop because we started to notice the wheel wells on the trailer smoking as we over loaded the trailer with ceramics. Most of the load was center loaded on the trailer to keep the weight on the trailers axle and off the rear of the truck, but we hauled it about distance of 65miles at a average speed of 55mph. Sounds dumb, but it was what we did the last minute.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:30 AM

thats a nice lookin runner terry BUT no mud flaps the rear brackets shaved off gona have a lot of rock chipping an ect
Old 05-25-2013, 04:22 PM

Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Congrats on the new 4Runner. Since tomorrow's Memorial Day you should gather the red, white and blue yotas for a patriotic picture.

You might be becoming a 4Runner hoarder. If strangers start anonymously dropping homeless 4Runners in your yard, you're there.

The whole time I was looking at the the new red one, something inside me was saying the cap needs to be painted black. Rustoleum Satin Black.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello cyberhorn..I like to keep everything on mine. Highlux lives in the city so dont think he has much rock chips to deal with out here. Where I live, it would sand blast the sides of my trucks real quick.

Hello Nervo... It is suprising at how alot of Toyota owners do want their trucks worked on. I wish I could work faster on them. I have the 86 extra cab to finish up, a 87 silver runner to do next. Another guy has a 92 two wheel drive that he bumped the front end on and wants the timing chain replaced while the front end is off, and his wife flopped his 89 standard cab on its side this past winter and he wants it repaired and painted.

Another guy wants me to knock out a few dings on his tan 86 extra cab 4 wheel drive and still another wants me to do some work on his 86 truck as well. These all came to me just by me being out in my shop working. I have a friend that just does mechanical work and he has 5 sitting in his shop right now. One of them is the Back to the Future truck that is showing earlier in this thread.

I have never seen any other brand of car or trucks really get rebuilt and put on the road like these trucks do. The ones that hit the salvages really get stripped hard. Normally not much left of them when they finally do get crushed. I was at the salvage the other day and they were crushing 13 Ford Explorers and they were missing drive train parts but for the most part were in great shape. They had several more trucks for parts and were worried about not having enough Explorer parts available. I have sold several trucks and they dont sit long before being bought.

Hello junk4u..That is a rental trailer that I used. One of these days I do want to get my own. My boat,trailer, and motor weighs in just under 2200 pounds and I dont have any problems pulling it. On hills, I do have to drop down into 3rd gear at times and make sure I get a run at it. My brothers boat is alot bigger and I think his is around 3100 pounds and he was surprised that I was able to pull it with no problems. I dont use 5th gear and I do allow alot more stopping distance.

I wouldnt want to go much more then his weight. If I had trailer brakes, anti sway bar and load leveling on my runners Imight would be tempted to haul a little more heavier.As it is now the loads I do pull with mine I feel comfortable with. One reason I do want to do the V6 brake upgrade and why I want the mirrors that bolt halfway down the door so that they sit further out. I still havent found those mirrors yet, but I am going to get mine sit up for heavier pulling. Another reason I have the frame mounted reciever hitchs.

I do the heavy pulling with my 01 Runner which has trailer brakes installed on it. I use it to pull my camper which is heavyyyy. I also have the load leveling and anti sway bars on it. I will get a picture of it up the next time I get my camper out which wont be much longer, but if you can get a trailer and get these options installed on it, it makes pulling a trailer so much safer and easier to control when pulling heavy loads.

Here is an old picture of me pulling my boat out of the ramp. The ramp is alot steeper then it looks and I have to use low range to get it up the ramp. In high range I would burn the clutch up trying to get it out. I have pulled some things that I probably shouldnt have as well with mine. I have seen empty trailers have axle fires but that is usually poor maintaince on them. They do tend to get neglected. For others that may not know, but you do want more weight in front of the axle then behind or you will get the trailer wig wagging going down the hiway. I do alot of trailer pulling and try to mention trailer safety when I get the chance.

Here is 2200 pounds. Hills can be a pain, but other wise it does ok.
Name:  Needslowrange.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  101.5 KB
Old 05-26-2013, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I dont get to take the top off of mine for a while yet as I will be driving to work and we have a chance of rain and I dont have any place to park mine out of the rain if we were to get some at work. She can park hers under the caport and it will be alright. Last year the top was off for 3 solid months on hers. Mine will be coming off soon.
Name:  topoff1_zpsf1e9f019.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  102.3 KB
Old 05-26-2013, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Craigslist find today. I will be trading some parts for these seats to install in my 86. I just need carpet, and a rear bumper. Carpet isnt much and have a bumper in the works. Once I get the bumper, seats, and carpet installed, I will consider this build done and just upgrading. A long way from when it was just a parts truck to where it is now. Wont be long til this build is DONE... WAHOOO!!!
Name:  seats1_zps5ccda6af.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  25.2 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 05-26-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:54 AM

sweet seats terry WOW they look mint
ooh so misty's gets to go topless huh lol sorry bein weird
Old 05-26-2013, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice find on the seats buddy, they are going to look sharp in your runner.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello cyberhorn..lol...I was thinking the same thing, really now way of saying it without sounding weird.

Hello Jason...I lucked out on them. Works great though. Now I have something for the red truck. Another Craigslist find today that I will have to pass on. A 22re with a blown head gasket for $150. grrr.. That could of went into the red truck as well. Wouldnt take much to get it running but that is ok, I am in no hurry on it.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 86 4Runner with a 2nd Chance